Register

Do Trainer Miles Count?

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

17 Nov 2015 00:56

Jacques de Molay wrote:
Jspear wrote:Kudos's to those who can stay on their trainer and overcome the "mental" battle, not having to put themselves out hours from their house to keep cycling and exercising.

I'm going to assume that you're simply playing devils advocate here, for the sake of the discussion, but that you don't genuinely embrace that last point of your argument. :D

The bicycle, since its very inception, was meant to offer people a novel way to "put themselves out hours from their house." That was the whole point to begin with. To this day, that is what bikes are, and what they do. It's never a matter of "having" to put myself out hours from home, it's my choice, and one that I wholly embrace. :)

As far as I'm concerned, when you remove centrifugal force from the equation, you're no longer riding a bike, you're just not. You're turning the pedals. That's not to suggest that turning the pedals on a trainer will automatically be easy. Obviously, it's as difficult as one makes it.

To reiterate: I understand indoor trainers. I have one, although I have't touched it in probably three years. I totally get why some people might have to rely on them due to harsh winters, prolonged periods of darkness, work schedules or many other factors.

However, if someone wants to declare themselves King of the Indoor Cycling World (not that anyone here is doing that) then they can have at it. I'll be too busy taking in the sights and sounds of the Great Outdoors to care one bit about such accomplishments.

Truthfully I'm just bringing in another side to the discussion. :)
I personally don't own a trainer....I prefer to go out regardless of the weather. Rain, snow, 100 degrees F, 10 degrees F...whatever. The only 3 things that will keep me inside are 25+mph winds (I've had some scary situations getting blown around), freezing rain, and snow when they haven't paved the roads yet.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

19 Nov 2015 14:01

Yes.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re:

20 Nov 2015 01:11

King Boonen wrote:Yes.

:D
“Brevity is the soul of wit.”

User avatar Jacques de Molay

Re: Re:

20 Nov 2015 12:22

Jacques de Molay wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Yes.

:D
“Brevity is the soul of wit.”

I gave the best answer I could with the information provided :D

I love my turbo. In my circumstances it's one of the most important pieces of kit I have.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

21 Nov 2015 16:42

of course, hell i even add my spin classes to Strava
Last edited by rick james on 17 Mar 2016 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
rick james

24 Nov 2015 22:04

That bloody well counted!!
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

Re: Do Trainer Miles Count?

11 Dec 2015 14:55

This made me chuckle.

CyclingTips is currently offering a limited-time, free viewing of the latest Thereabouts film.
http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/12/thereabouts-2-is-now-live/
Thereabouts: a series of adventures designed to get back to the very essence of cycling. It’s all about riding for riding’s sake, enjoying the process of moving from A to B, learning something about yourself and your mates, and riding hard just because you can.

Gus and Lachlan Morton were joined by fellow professionals Cam Wurf and Taylor Phinney as they made their way from Boulder, Colorado, to Moab, Utah.

But then I saw this in the comments.
Utah72
So looking forward to jumping on the trainer and watching this tomorrow in the US

I really think he's missing the point of the film altogether. :D

11 Dec 2015 15:32

I would guess sarcasm but then it is from someone in the US...
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen

18 Dec 2015 19:53

Absolutely trainer miles count. Put a bit of sufferfest on and you can get in some of the best training sessions going.

Would rarely reach that level of brokenness out on the road
User avatar AcademyCC

Re:

19 Dec 2015 02:16

AcademyCC wrote:Absolutely trainer miles count.

...as trainer miles.

Let's revisit the OP for a moment.
dhungerf wrote:Periodically I will ride on my trainer (Bad Weather / Darkness). I have two friends who share different points of view on this subject of weather or not the trainer miles count towards my total miles ridden in the year.

I would never dispute the fact that aggressive and brutal training sessions could be experience while on a trainer.
But one could stay on that thing for days on end, and never actually cover a single mile. Know what I'm sayin'? :)

Now if Doug, from the OP, who started this little back-and-forth would just jump in, I'd like to know what else his friends had to say on the matter. :p

10 Mar 2016 12:11

I hope they count. I am a paramedic that is about to go to a rural station that has a roster of 8 days on a 6 days off. During the 8 days on I work 8-6 each day and on call after hours. During the on call I have to be able to respond to an incident immediately so I will not be able to ride on the road. My only option will be an indoor trainer, I hope my legs accept the pretend miles.
Lynton

20 Sep 2016 02:42

I think it counts for miles and fitness...less for developing bike skills. Nevertheless, being fit will help you make good decisions on the road cos your brains won't be all blotted from the effort....

They count
chuckmicD

20 Sep 2016 17:04

I certainly upload my trainer sessions to Garmin Connect, so in the broad picture trainer sessions do count for me. I also think being on the trainer can be much tougher mentally, if you have no visual distractions like there is on the road all the time and since there is no one to talk to. The way I ride on my home trainer, staring into a white wall with only music as a slight distraction, it is by no means easy-earned kilometers.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

02 Nov 2016 10:47

I upload my Wattbike sessions to Strava/Garmin Connect for my own record.They count for me.Whether anyone else counts my Trainer miles or not is irrelevant :)
User avatar Ibbo68

Re:

09 Nov 2016 08:57

Ibbo68 wrote:I upload my Wattbike sessions to Strava/Garmin Connect for my own record.They count for me.Whether anyone else counts my Trainer miles or not is irrelevant :)

I'm pretty sure they count - just ask Matt Hayman
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

11 Nov 2016 15:10

Good discussion. I ride for fitness and during the winter months (in the past) I lost some fitness due to a lack of riding. Last season i joined Zwift and rode on the trainer about 5X per week (about 5 hours per week in total). This spring I noticed a definite improvement in fitness over previous years. I was able to head out on my early road rides (March or so) with the same power and stamina as my peak fitness the previous season. I actually raised by functional heartrate.

I say yes
dhungerf

24 Jan 2017 07:56

Of course trainer miles count assuming you do it properly. In fact often trainer miles are more effective as you don't spend time coasting or spinning gears at less than 50 watts and low heart rates. When I was racing I used my trainer when it was too wet and dangerous to ride on the road. One thing is you need a power and/or heart rate monitor to make it effective. Interval training never fails and with a trainer you don't have to worry about slowing for traffic. The downside is of course dying of boredom.
Cookster15

25 Jan 2017 17:48

I log the mileage as recorded on the trainer bikes computer. This mileage is more like riding the track as it is fixed gear; as noted above no freewheeling.. After a trainer ride my subsequent road bike ride takes less energy.
avanti

30 Jan 2017 23:02

If there is debate here it sounds like there is a bit of competition going on about who can do the most miles in the year.
So the question isn't so much if they count but are the equal to road miles.
The different opinion probably comes down to how has the trainer or the percentage of use on each
User avatar Tigerion

31 Jan 2017 02:59

Anyone with a Zwift trainer can't add those miles to their year total....sorry.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

Previous

Return to General