Register

Health issue ruined my plans (NEW BIKE)

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Health issue ruined my plans (NEW BIKE)

30 Aug 2016 16:42

Hi guys i am new on the board, i wanted improve my health and loss weight and started ride bikes.

Yesterday i got RTG and i have issue with my health.
I have " Loss of natural neck lordosis (curve). So my neck is just straight.Wich cause a bit pain but not when cyclicng. Only when i rotate head.

I wanted get new bike like Merida Reacto or Cannondale Caad10/12 ( i am riding 52/53cm bike while i am 180cm) So its to small and i am loking for 56. But now after i know i got a problem should i keep riding bike? Bike riding can ruin my health more? I know my issue were get during past years(stayin behind pc and benchpress and weight lifting) but i am afraid if i can ride. I will ask a doctor soon. Or maybe should i give up just on Reacto and add extra money for Canonndale Synapse Carbon. Wich will be more comfy and straight up position and some vibration absorb.

THX FOR HELP.
LeeSin
Newly Registered Member

Re: Health issue ruined my plans (NEW BIKE)

31 Aug 2016 04:59

LeeSin wrote:Hi guys i am new on the board, i wanted improve my health and loss weight and started ride bikes.

I have " Loss of natural neck lordosis (curve). So my neck is just straight.Wich cause a bit pain but not when cyclicng. Only when i rotate head.

I wanted get new bike like Merida Reacto or Cannondale Caad10/12 ( i am riding 52/53cm bike while i am 180cm) So its to small and i am loking for 56. But now after i know i got a problem should i keep riding bike? Bike riding can ruin my health more? I know my issue were get during past years(stayin behind pc and benchpress and weight lifting) but i am afraid if i can ride. I will ask a doctor soon. Or maybe should i give up just on Reacto and add extra money for Canonndale Synapse Carbon. Wich will be more comfy and straight up position and some vibration absorb.

THX FOR HELP.

I would seek the advice of a competent doctor before you invest in a bike - preferably one who is a cyclist.

I have ridden carbon fiber bikes that were more uncomfortable than my aluminum alloy Cervelo Soloist. Currently I'm riding a titanium alloy road bike which is very comfortable. I use "comfortable" in the amount of vibration and shock the frame transmits from the road surface.

Also consider larger tires with lower pressure. I recently bough a set of Shimano Ultegra wheels and they are noticeably more uncomfortable than my other wheels.

In any case I suggest you get a bike fit and ride any bike you are considering along the roughest road you normally ride on.
avanti

31 Aug 2016 05:39

avanti wrote:
LeeSin wrote:Hi guys i am new on the board, i wanted improve my health and loss weight and started ride bikes.

THX FOR HELP.

I would seek the advice of a competent doctor before you invest in a bike - preferably one who is a cyclist.

I have ridden carbon fiber bikes that were more uncomfortable than my aluminum alloy Cervelo Soloist. Currently I'm riding a titanium alloy road bike which is very comfortable. I use "comfortable" to describe the amount of vibration and shock the frame transmits from the road surface.

Also consider larger tires with lower pressure. I recently bough a set of Shimano Ultegra wheels and they are noticeably more uncomfortable than my other wheels.

In any case I suggest you get a bike fit and ride any bike you are considering along the roughest road you normally ride on.

I'll second this.

The best person to speak to will be a physiotherapist with good applied knowledge of cycling anatomy, they will be able to take your body measurements and alignment and recommend a bike with geometry that is suitable.

If the Cannondale CAAD 10/12 is suitable, then go for it. They are probably the best aluminium frames on the market (unless you spend mega $$ on a custom) and outperform many carbon fibre frames.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

31 Aug 2016 22:08

the merida reacto is a bad idea. the bike geometry is kinda agressive. you should go for an endurance bike, with a more relaxed ridding position.
carolina

01 Sep 2016 11:54

What about Trek Emonda SL8?(test version) i can have it in same price as Synapse Carbon?
LeeSin
Newly Registered Member

01 Sep 2016 12:46

I have a friend with the same problem. He switched to a trike (Ice Trike) that he converted into a VeloPod.
dhungerf

Return to General