Register

Air purifiers & allergies

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Air purifiers & allergies

27 Sep 2016 17:11

"Hello all, I wanted to ask for some advice. I am considering purchasing an air purifier but I have not found any information that shows they really work for allergies and asthma. I would love to hear from you on your own experiences, and any recommendations you can give to a newbie. I have been reading up on this topic and honestly I am extremely confused. Please help and maybe we can all learn together.

Jeff"
jeff0121
Newly Registered Member

27 Sep 2016 18:14

Are you thinking of a single-room air filter, or a whole-house unit.

And do you know what type of 'exposures' affect you asthma? dust, chemicals, cleansers, etc.
Have you been diagnosed by an MD that you have asthma? Have you been tested for allergies?

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

Re: Air purifiers & allergies

03 Oct 2016 17:23

Refer to the US EPA report. It says that purifiers do not effectively remove particles over 2 microns. Allergens are much larger.

https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/guide-air-cleaners-home-printable-version

I'm thinking about a single-room air filter.
jeff0121
Newly Registered Member

03 Oct 2016 20:52

I didn't find mention of '2 micron' particles in that document -
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2014-07/documents/aircleaners.pdf

Perhaps particles that large settle out of the air before reaching the filter - so they are still 'in the room' and haven't been trapped by the filter.

We are satisfied with a single room Honeywell air filter that has cleanable filter (cleaned by removing and vacuuming the filters).

If you use a vacuum cleaner for removing dust - be sure to use good quality filter bags (I prefer bags from the maker of the vacuum), and check the condition of the bag to make sure it is not damaged or full.
We do use a vacuum cleaner, but dusting clothes (e.g. Swiffer) work quite well on solid surfaces, and work by holding the dust on the cloth instead of making it airborne.

There are several good 'anti-allergy' products available - the newer ones might only require 1 per day. I use a 1st generation antihistamine called Chlorpheniramine Maleate 4mg (ChlorTabs). It's 'take as needed', 1 table every 4-6 hours. It's been around for decades and has very few side effects, and has been shown to be safe and effective.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
JayKosta

Return to General