Register

Amanda Coker - HAM'R

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Amanda Coker - HAM'R

12 Mar 2017 19:14

Doing a quick search, I was surprised to find this amazing young woman hasn't even been mentioned in a single post. So here goes.

Four years ago cyclist Amanda Coker was one of the country's best young racers, and riding her bike in training when hit by a car and badly injured, fracturing her skull, sustaining a brain injury, and being bed ridden for many weeks. All she could think about was riding her bike again, once she could, she has barely stopped, and after pulverizing the woman's ultracyclist distance (HAM'R) record in just four months, she's continued on, and is set to smash even the men's record, as well.

Put in sheer numbers, she's coming up on 70,000 miles in about 300 days, averaging over 230 miles per day, at over a 20mph pace. Her longest ride I believe is over 260 miles, and the shortest about 130...during Hurricane Matthew.

A quick news clip on her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ5NRNSmDWw

User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re: Amanda Coker - HAM'R

12 Mar 2017 19:22

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Doing a quick search, I was surprised to find this amazing young woman hasn't even been mentioned in a single post. So here goes.

Four years ago cyclist Amanda Coker was riding her bike and hit by a car and badly injured, fracturing her skull, sustaining a brain injury, and being bed ridden for many weeks. All she could think about was riding her bike again, once she could, she has barely stopped, and after pulverizing the woman's ultracyclist distance (HAM'R) record in just four months, she's continued on, and is set to smash even the men's record, as well.

Put in sheer numbers, she's coming up on 70,000 miles in about 300 days, averaging over 230 miles per day, at over a 20mph pace. Her longest ride I believe is over 260 miles, and the shortest about 130...during Hurricane Matthew.

A quick news clip on her:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ5NRNSmDWw

At her current average of 230 miles a day it won't take long to smash Kurt Searvogel's record of 76,076 miles over the course of a year.

His average daily mileage was 208 miles per day, her 230 miles per day is simply amazing.

At her current rate she will break the record almost 3 weeks sooner than Kurt rode it.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

15 Mar 2017 02:42

Seen her a few times on the Strava monthly challenges - insane amount of riding... just incredible
Had no idea on her background
User avatar Archibald

16 Mar 2017 10:48

What she is doing is certainly very impressive, but I do think that doing it on an off-road loop dampens it a bit. I can completely understand why she wants to keep away from cars however. I think she is also using a recumbent at times as well...

I suppose I should point out that I'm annoyed they changed the rules for the hour record and they should have stuck with the Merckx era rules so that obviously has an influence on how I feel about these record attempts. Fair play though, on roads or not it is extremely impressive.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Veteran

Return to General