Log in:  

Register

New year, new season

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

New year, new season

14 Jan 2018 10:18

How much are you guys training and what are your goals for 2018? I have been mostly running for the past 2 months, but I want to go back on the bike now to be ready for the first real rides in late February on the racer. Just going to use the MTB until then - while I have a good time on that, I just don't think anything can compare to the open road. Its just so much more relaxing, so really looking forward to that. Spring can't come soon enough... I hope to go to a few races this year, I only went to 1 last year after a pretty brutal crash I had at a time when I wanted to race more seriously.

Good new year and lets see how many kilometres we can log!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

14 Jan 2018 12:30

ATM I'm still in winter training mode, that means XC skiing, ski mountaineering and a bit of alpine skiing as winter training.
I'm not someone who usually races, I just want to get better and stronger.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,421
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

14 Jan 2018 21:32

Here on the east coast of Australia it’s been horrifically hot, so it’s been 2-3 hour base rides for now. After around 8am it’s ridiculous here in Brisbane, so I’ve kept it to about 70-80kms max for now.
Last edited by 42x16ss on 17 Jan 2018 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,930
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

16 Jan 2018 03:35

I won't be doing any races. I'll do several organized rides. A 100 K ride in May. A 100 mile ride in October (organized event.) I'll do a century or two (miles) on my own as well. I don't have time to do more century rides then that. I have to take off work for those...I'm thinking about doing a 200 mile ride this year...maybe. :) Besides that just my regular rides as often as I can. 3 times a week roughly.

It's been a good ways beyond freezing for a while now...still plugging away.
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re:

18 Jan 2018 19:34

42x16ss wrote:Here on the east coast of Australia it’s been horrifically hot, so it’s been 2-3 hour base rides for now. After around 8am it’s ridiculous here in Brisbane, so I’ve kept it to about 70-80kms max for now.

Hmm, whats better, 35 degrees or 0 degrees?

Im just doing some 1-2 hour MTB rides, sometimes on the tracks, other times I just prefer to go on the road and seek out some hard hills. The other day for example i did 661 metres of elavation gain on only 37,3 km, thats some good training regardless of how fast you are going early on the season on a MTB. Doing my first ride on my racer on sunday, looking forward to that!
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

18 Jan 2018 22:16

Valv.Piti wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Here on the east coast of Australia it’s been horrifically hot, so it’s been 2-3 hour base rides for now. After around 8am it’s ridiculous here in Brisbane, so I’ve kept it to about 70-80kms max for now.

Hmm, whats better, 35 degrees or 0 degrees?

Im just doing some 1-2 hour MTB rides, sometimes on the tracks, other times I just prefer to go on the road and seek out some hard hills. The other day for example i did 661 metres of elavation gain on only 37,3 km, thats some good training regardless of how fast you are going early on the season on a MTB. Doing my first ride on my racer on sunday, looking forward to that!

As long as there’s no snow/rain on the roads I’d take the cold over 35+ Celsius and 70%+ humidity like we’ve been getting. You can dress for the cold, but with the extreme heat you have to eventually make alternative arrangements.

When it gets to 40 here I go to the gym and use the ergo.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,930
Joined: 23 May 2009 04:43
Location: Brisbane, Aus

Re: Re:

19 Jan 2018 02:50

42x16ss wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:
42x16ss wrote:Here on the east coast of Australia it’s been horrifically hot, so it’s been 2-3 hour base rides for now. After around 8am it’s ridiculous here in Brisbane, so I’ve kept it to about 70-80kms max for now.

Hmm, whats better, 35 degrees or 0 degrees?

Im just doing some 1-2 hour MTB rides, sometimes on the tracks, other times I just prefer to go on the road and seek out some hard hills. The other day for example i did 661 metres of elavation gain on only 37,3 km, thats some good training regardless of how fast you are going early on the season on a MTB. Doing my first ride on my racer on sunday, looking forward to that!

As long as there’s no snow/rain on the roads I’d take the cold over 35+ Celsius and 70%+ humidity like we’ve been getting. You can dress for the cold, but with the extreme heat you have to eventually make alternative arrangements.

When it gets to 40 here I go to the gym and use the ergo.

Same in Sydney - stupid hot and stupid humidity, along with rain n thunderstorms.
Give me winter (cough, cough) here any day...
As they say, you can always put another layer on in the cold, but you can only take so much off in the heat...
User avatar Archibald
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,781
Joined: 15 Jun 2009 17:03

19 Jan 2018 10:20

A big crash on my fixed gear has side-lined me for a month, possibly more, with a cast to fix a dislocated thumb that won't stay in the joint. No riding for me for a bit, except turbo. I could practice my trackstands...

Main goal this season is 300 miles in 24 hours on my fixed gear. There's a big bunch organised to do it but I think I'll probably be the only fixed rider.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,451
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

19 Jan 2018 15:38

King Boonen wrote:A big crash on my fixed gear has side-lined me for a month, possibly more, with a cast to fix a dislocated thumb that won't stay in the joint. No riding for me for a bit, except turbo. I could practice my trackstands...

Main goal this season is 300 miles in 24 hours on my fixed gear. There's a big bunch organised to do it but I think I'll probably be the only fixed rider.


Ah man! Sorry about the crash. Hope for a speedy recovery.

An awesome goal! What time of the year you thinking?
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

19 Jan 2018 17:39

Nice enough here in Vancouver. Great for riding at the moment. Temperature is between 4 degrees and about 10 degrees. A little damp, but we expect that here. At least there is no frost or ice. Rode my first ascent of Cypress for the year (just under 1000m of climbing, starting from from sea-level) on Sunday. Bizarre weather with a huge inversion. Climbed out of cold fog into sunshine and 10 degrees at the top. I'm into my "long commute" pattern where take in some extra hills to and from work, and it is is going pretty well. A little scare with a knee I tweaked skiing a few weeks back, but riding seems to be helping it, rather than aggravating it. Days are lengthening quickly now.

Biggest goal is probably the Dirty Kanza in June. 320km on gravel in a day. My wife thinks I'm mad. Also doing a couple of fondos, then going to Europe for 3 weeks later in the season. Pyrenees, Dolomites and the a triple ascent of Ventoux.
winkybiker
Member
 
Posts: 1,105
Joined: 30 Jun 2012 14:59
Location: Vancouver, BC.

Re: Re:

20 Jan 2018 17:29

Jspear wrote:
King Boonen wrote:A big crash on my fixed gear has side-lined me for a month, possibly more, with a cast to fix a dislocated thumb that won't stay in the joint. No riding for me for a bit, except turbo. I could practice my trackstands...

Main goal this season is 300 miles in 24 hours on my fixed gear. There's a big bunch organised to do it but I think I'll probably be the only fixed rider.


Ah man! Sorry about the crash. Hope for a speedy recovery.

An awesome goal! What time of the year you thinking?

Appointment on 7th February to take the cast off, hopefully that’ll be that.

There’s an organised ride by a guy who’s fairly well known around Scotland. It’s mid-June so hopefully get some decent weather. There’ll be a big bunch. I’m fully aware it’s going to be really tough, I do like a challenge though!
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator
 
Posts: 7,451
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

21 Jan 2018 20:39

Finally got my ride in on the racer. The two guys I was supposed to ride with bailed, so I had to go on my own with a little hangover and very cold feet. It was still incredible tho and I really felt the training I have done has paid off, I don't usually average 30 km/hour on my own this early in the season.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

22 Jan 2018 18:02

Bi-polar weather here. We've had upper teens/lower 20's (F) and then today we have 60 degrees! Of course I went on a ride. Awesome time. 41.2 miles. 19.9 mph avg. Felt great! I'm sure things will go back to freezing soon...

Side question: so is this the new "where did you ride your bike today" thread?
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re:

22 Jan 2018 18:18

Jspear wrote:Bi-polar weather here. We've had upper teens/lower 20's (F) and then today we have 60 degrees! Of course I went on a ride. Awesome time. 41.2 miles. 19.9 mph avg. Felt great! I'm sure things will go back to freezing soon...

Side question: so is this the new "where did you ride your bike today" thread?

This probably wasn't very well thought out.... I don't know, really. :D
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Re: Re:

22 Jan 2018 22:50

Valv.Piti wrote:
Jspear wrote:Bi-polar weather here. We've had upper teens/lower 20's (F) and then today we have 60 degrees! Of course I went on a ride. Awesome time. 41.2 miles. 19.9 mph avg. Felt great! I'm sure things will go back to freezing soon...

Side question: so is this the new "where did you ride your bike today" thread?

This probably wasn't very well thought out.... I don't know, really. :D


So sticking strictly to the thread title, I use this thread for the month of January and then go back to the other thread. :p
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
_____________________________________________________________________________
Canton Ave Climb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C90ZPlbEfmU
User avatar Jspear
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,541
Joined: 23 Feb 2014 03:50
Location: N. VA, USA

Re: New year, new season

26 Jan 2018 15:10

I'll start my road season on Gran Canaria in two weeks with an 8 day training camp. Hope to do about 100-150km per day there. After that the roads around here will be decent enough to take the bike out again. Enrolled in a 225km cyclo in the hills of southern Limburg for the end of may.

In general I will be happy if I can do about a 400km per week in the april-october period. Last year I slammed the 7500km barrior, would be nice to reach about 9000 this year. Mainly because I think I can do much more 100k+ rides because I live very close to work now :). Let's get the spring started...
Pennino
Member
 
Posts: 350
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

03 Feb 2018 14:57

Wasn't going to sign up for any sportives this year as we have a baby due in April, but I ended up signing up for the Queen of the highlands sportive, its a circular route starting up the Glenshee ski centre and it finished up there, I think the distance will be about 180k, its takes in the Cairn o mount climbs as well. I've done the 3 pistes sportive a few times so I know the roads well..(if anyone ever fancies a Scottish cycling challenge, do the 3 pistes sportive, its a killer. the climb up the Lecht is unreal)


the biggest issue I have right now is that I've put on a good bit of weight, so right now I'm on a health kick but the Scottish weather doesn't lend its self for good cycling just now
rick james
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,430
Joined: 02 Sep 2014 13:21
Location: Ecosse

11 Feb 2018 17:19

Horrible ride today with my roommate, extremely windy and 0-1 celsius and snow. Super cold for feet and hands, my legs felt good tho, so I wasn't hurting too much there. Never riding in such weather again..... 25 km/average, so yeah, thats super slow as well. But for +2 hours in that kind of weather its still not that easy
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

18 Feb 2018 22:31

Just back home from a magnificent eight days of training on Gran Canaria with a friend of mine. Our global rythm was: day 1 [intervals+longer climb], day 2 [long, easy ride], day 3 [just some short softpedaling, rest day]. Like that, we totalized almost 600 kilometres and 14,000 HM. Beautiful weather, beautiful roads, beautiful climbs, what can I say more? Just a little shame we didn't went atop the Pico de las Nieves as we kind of lost the road on 1400 metres above sea level. But overall I'm very satisfied. On the last day I attacked two climbs of around 7 km at 6,5% at a very good speed, overtaking tons of people. Getting that aggressiveness back in the legs is the most lovely feeling in the world.
Pennino
Member
 
Posts: 350
Joined: 06 Jul 2016 21:12
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

12 Mar 2018 12:10

Got some good kilometres in in the weekend alone, around 120 km, so thats nice. Saturday was around zero degrees and sunny which I like very much, but Sunday was foggy, windy, rainy and snowy at the same time. That was probably one of the most insane rides I have done, damn that was hard, but I need to get some decent kilometres before April. And thats kinda hard in this horrible weather in Denmark at the moment.
"Es el mejor con y sin"
WORLD CHAMPION
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,569
Joined: 03 Aug 2015 00:00
Location: Dinamarca, Aalborg

Next

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Back to top