Register

New year, new season

Discuss your experiences road riding, share knowledge or other general road cycling topics. A doping discussion free forum.

Moderators: Eshnar, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 Mar 2018 14:47

Been doing most of my training on my MTB on a bike trainer. While watching pro's doing the real riding. Doing a little bit every day and start form there. Now I'm going outside a lot more though.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

I came, I saw, I was dead wrong as per usual
User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

12 Mar 2018 14:52

I just got outside for a ride this weekend for the first time this year. I'm starting way later this year than I ever have, mainly because I have a new job that takes up most of my time.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re:

12 Mar 2018 20:58

Red Rick wrote:Been doing most of my training on my MTB on a bike trainer. While watching pro's doing the real riding. Doing a little bit every day and start form there. Now I'm going outside a lot more though.

Indoor is fine, especially during the winter, but it really gets boring in the long run IMO, altho I must admit I dont own a trainer or whatever, just have been doing spinning classes. Its like a treadmill, but good at keeping you going. But very time efficient when you have a homer trainer, I honestly wish I had one actually, it sounds cozy to watch races while spinning your legs a bit.
I enjoy outdoor more and also think I get a better training that way (when I decide I want to go hard for, say, 2 hours), its harder to keep the motivation up indoors. And the elements also play a big part, especially the cold, its simply just a lot more taxing which I enjoy. Its a great feeling when you are completely spent after a hard and long ride in such conditions.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re: Re:

12 Mar 2018 23:48

Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Been doing most of my training on my MTB on a bike trainer. While watching pro's doing the real riding. Doing a little bit every day and start form there. Now I'm going outside a lot more though.

Indoor is fine, especially during the winter, but it really gets boring in the long run IMO, altho I must admit I dont own a trainer or whatever, just have been doing spinning classes. Its like a treadmill, but good at keeping you going. But very time efficient when you have a homer trainer, I honestly wish I had one actually, it sounds cozy to watch races while spinning your legs a bit.
I enjoy outdoor more and also think I get a better training that way (when I decide I want to go hard for, say, 2 hours), its harder to keep the motivation up indoors. And the elements also play a big part, especially the cold, its simply just a lot more taxing which I enjoy. Its a great feeling when you are completely spent after a hard and long ride in such conditions.

Yeah it can get kinda boring for longer durations. I like it for intervals though.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Mar 2018 13:12

Oh yeah, its great for intervals. Are you going off watts, heart rate or just feelings when doing intervals? I would love SRM, but its too pricey. Im more of a long ride type anyways, same tempo more or less, more or less sweetspot training or just below.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

13 Mar 2018 13:20

Valv.Piti wrote:Oh yeah, its great for intervals. Are you going off watts, heart rate or just feelings when doing intervals? I would love SRM, but its too pricey. Im more of a long ride type anyways, same tempo more or less, more or less sweetspot training or just below.

I really just started training again, so I figured going on HR isn't necessary yet to do enough to improve. I just try do different things everyday except when I'm really tired cause then I just go really calmly. My setup doesn't have a power meter, but I guess my intervals are at 400W or something like that.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Mar 2018 13:25

Red Rick wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:Oh yeah, its great for intervals. Are you going off watts, heart rate or just feelings when doing intervals? I would love SRM, but its too pricey. Im more of a long ride type anyways, same tempo more or less, more or less sweetspot training or just below.

I really just started training again, so I figured going on HR isn't necessary yet to do enough to improve. I just try do different things everyday except when I'm really tired cause then I just go really calmly. My setup doesn't have a power meter, but I guess my intervals are at 400W or something like that.

Ah ok. I used to train with HR, but I became a bit bored with it and figured I really couldn't use it too much (on the road). Indoor on the other hand, I couldn't train without it simply because its too boring otherwise when spinning, but outdoor I also find myself paying attention to my HR instead of the road and the nature and that kinda sucks.

I guess I have to do some intervals a bit more specifically, maybe just some 5x2 above threshold in the middle of a ride, but that constant pressure of around sweetspot training I have found to be pretty great.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

13 Mar 2018 13:40

Valv.Piti wrote:
Red Rick wrote:

Ah ok. I used to train with HR, but I became a bit bored with it and figured I really couldn't use it too much (on the road). Indoor on the other hand, I couldn't train without it simply because its too boring otherwise when spinning, but outdoor I also find myself paying attention to my HR instead of the road and the nature and that kinda sucks.

I guess I have to do some intervals a bit more specifically, maybe just some 5x2 above threshold in the middle of a ride, but that constant pressure of around sweetspot training I have found to be pretty great.

I have had my setup for a few weeks only, so I've been trying to figure out for how long I can do each of the high resistances so I can use that for training.
Veni, Vidi, Kirby

User avatar Red Rick
Administrator

13 Mar 2018 16:34

Ah ok.

I just did my by far best ride in 2018 today, almost 31 km/h and 58 km. I just went full retard the last hour, it feels great right now..
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

13 Mar 2018 18:30

Valv.Piti wrote:Ah ok.

I just did my by far best ride in 2018 today, almost 31 km/h and 58 km. I just went full retard the last hour, it feels great right now..

Come on guys just save some pennies and buy a smart trainer and use Zwift. It really is entertaining and takes away some of the boredom. My numbers are all ready better than that! :p :lol: ;)
Skyline Drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPjM6rZ4pN0
Veteran

13 Mar 2018 21:16

Jspear wrote:

Come on guys just save some pennies and buy a smart trainer and use Zwift. It really is entertaining and takes away some of the boredom. My numbers are all ready better than that! :p :lol: ;)

No money, no space, too much sweat, better outdoors...

Altho if someone offered me one..........
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

13 Mar 2018 22:34

Valv.Piti wrote:
Jspear wrote:

No money, no space, too much sweat, better outdoors...

Altho if someone offered me one..........

Alright fine! Lol you’re right about the sweat part and of course it’s better outdoors. A virtual world will never, could never beat reality.
Skyline Drive
Veteran

17 Mar 2018 08:52

Extremely cold in Denmark at the moment, I think around -4 here, but sunny and not windy. Lets see how my legs (and feet and hands) respond!
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

17 Mar 2018 15:04

I lied, windy and chill factor of -10. Man, this winter must stop soon.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Re:

18 Mar 2018 04:38

Valv.Piti wrote:I lied, windy and chill factor of -10. Man, this winter must stop soon.

Yes! I'm dreaming of spring...part of the torture for me is we've had glimpses of nice weather and then it gets torn away and we're back to winter weather...Me'z ready for spring.
Skyline Drive
Veteran

18 Mar 2018 11:33

Jspear wrote:
Valv.Piti wrote:I lied, windy and chill factor of -10. Man, this winter must stop soon.

Yes! I'm dreaming of spring...part of the torture for me is we've had glimpses of nice weather and then it gets torn away and we're back to winter weather...Me'z ready for spring.

Well its getting better now, a bit under zero degrees and no clouds in sight with a lot less wind than yesterday. Altho a bit cold (it really isn't with proper clothing), thats pretty nice weather. Obviously preferring something like 25 degrees and sun, but I actually very much like this kind of weather! I got 85 km in on a group ride today and felt really strong, so thats a good day.
User avatar Valv.Piti
Veteran

Previous

Return to General