Register

Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

11 Jan 2017 21:50

BullsFan22 wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:Yep. Awesome relay. One of the best I've seen in many many years. Norway is going to be very difficult to beat in Hochfilzen, even if Tarjei's presence is still a huge question mark.
Bummer for France, that big bro Fourcade ****** up the first lap. Clearly the guy should never have been part of the relay team with his lack of shape.

No Boe brothers, but I don't think the Russia had their final relay composition either. Volkov is a good shooter but lacks in ski speed. Babikov's form may be declining, we'll see what Gross has them doing for preparation for Hochfilzen. Interesting to test out Shipulin on leg two, instead of his usual anchor. I think they'll go back to having him last. Svendsen can't beat Shipulin in a sprint. Garannichev is still a question mark. I am interested what the Austrians do at home. Eberhard has some serious speed, but he is too inconsistent on the range.

Svendsen beat Shipulin in a sprint in Pokljuka, so he definitely can. Shipulin hasn't been as good as usual on the last loop. His skiing in general has been below standards. I think that's why the Russians decided to test a different constellation.

In hindsight, Babikov did a good job with only 1 shooting error. Unfortunately for him, Super Svendsen has found his old speed. Shipulin may have been able to hold Svendsen back. It was Shipulin who gave Russia their advantage on the 2nd lap, so the decision of putting him there might not have been such a bad solution after all.

The Russian team can possibly improve their line-up marginally. For instance, Tsvetkov was absent today. Garanichev has not done anything that suggests he can earn a spot on the Russian relay team in Hochfilzen.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

Re:

11 Jan 2017 23:04

Singer01 wrote:amazing performance from svendsen, hope that puts a spring in his step, at his best he is one of the few who can beat fourcade heads up on a regular basis. clearly he should always come from behind in relays rather than leading on the last leg.

He can't and he won't (beat him on a regular basis).

His race today aside from the shooting wasn't all that impressive, Babikov and Schempp were very weak on the last lap. Krcmar would have smashed him in a sprint.

As to Shipulin, my first thought was they put him on 2 to repair any damage done by Volkov on 1.
kingjr

11 Jan 2017 23:26

Cance > TheRest wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:Yep. Awesome relay. One of the best I've seen in many many years. Norway is going to be very difficult to beat in Hochfilzen, even if Tarjei's presence is still a huge question mark.
Bummer for France, that big bro Fourcade ****** up the first lap. Clearly the guy should never have been part of the relay team with his lack of shape.

No Boe brothers, but I don't think the Russia had their final relay composition either. Volkov is a good shooter but lacks in ski speed. Babikov's form may be declining, we'll see what Gross has them doing for preparation for Hochfilzen. Interesting to test out Shipulin on leg two, instead of his usual anchor. I think they'll go back to having him last. Svendsen can't beat Shipulin in a sprint. Garannichev is still a question mark. I am interested what the Austrians do at home. Eberhard has some serious speed, but he is too inconsistent on the range.

Svendsen beat Shipulin in a sprint in Pokljuka, so he definitely can. Shipulin hasn't been as good as usual on the last loop. His skiing in general has been below standards. I think that's why the Russians decided to test a different constellation.

In hindsight, Babikov did a good job with only 1 shooting error. Unfortunately for him, Super Svendsen has found his old speed. Shipulin may have been able to hold Svendsen back. It was Shipulin who gave Russia their advantage on the 2nd lap, so the decision of putting him there might not have been such a bad solution after all.

The Russian team can possibly improve their line-up marginally. For instance, Tsvetkov was absent today. Garanichev has not done anything that suggests he can earn a spot on the Russian relay team in Hochfilzen.

Pokljuka is not a good example. It's essentially a downhill finish and there's little to no time for anyone to really sprint and make a move to pass. The finish straight is too short and too fast. Whoever is up front has a huge advantage. Oesterstund as well, though perhaps not as much. I do agree that Shipulin isn't in 'great' shape now, but he was in good enough shape to post the fastest time on his leg with one spare round. Tsvetkov would have certainly been there instead of Volkov, so we'll see what the coaches have in mind later on. Volkov is usually one of the top shooters in the field, but skiing is not that impressive. Tsvetkov is no Fourcade on skis, but he is definitely better than Volkov and his shooting is solid. The fluctuation of form between Oberhof and Ruhpolding seems, to me at least, very evident.
BullsFan22

12 Jan 2017 09:49

BullsFan22 wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

Pokljuka is not a good example. It's essentially a downhill finish and there's little to no time for anyone to really sprint and make a move to pass. The finish straight is too short and too fast. Whoever is up front has a huge advantage. Oesterstund as well, though perhaps not as much. I do agree that Shipulin isn't in 'great' shape now, but he was in good enough shape to post the fastest time on his leg with one spare round. Tsvetkov would have certainly been there instead of Volkov, so we'll see what the coaches have in mind later on. Volkov is usually one of the top shooters in the field, but skiing is not that impressive. Tsvetkov is no Fourcade on skis, but he is definitely better than Volkov and his shooting is solid. The fluctuation of form between Oberhof and Ruhpolding seems, to me at least, very evident.

You're right, that Pokljuka is not the best example. When that is said, Shipulin had every opportunity to pass Svendsen in the sprint as they were neck and neck coming into the final stretch.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

12 Jan 2017 12:39

Pathetic performance by simon fourcade. He lost a minute and half in 7.5 km... and he didn't do "extra meters"
portugal11

Re:

12 Jan 2017 14:12

Singer01 wrote:amazing performance from svendsen, hope that puts a spring in his step, at his best he is one of the few who can beat fourcade heads up on a regular basis. clearly he should always come from behind in relays rather than leading on the last leg.

Windisch disagrees.
Kokoso

12 Jan 2017 14:17

That was downright idi*tic from Hammerschmidt. That would deserve disqualification in another, more fair world. Similar thing did Martin Fourcade few races ago. Absolutely unnecessary, especialy from him. My sympaties for him are pretty much gone at this point.

Czech relays miss fourth link, the rest is pretty strong usually.
Kokoso

13 Jan 2017 17:34

WORST SEASON EVER. I might just concentrate on the womens tour this year.
Singer01

Re:

13 Jan 2017 18:04

Singer01 wrote:WORST SEASON EVER. I might just concentrate on the womens tour this year.

Good idea, it's a fun year in the women's, no one person is dominating.
Brullnux

14 Jan 2017 15:06

a tad strange, but otherwise interesting sprints in toblah..the 2 biggest surprises came from the russ. 1st it was ustiougov who did not even qualify and then matveva beating falla fair and square for the gold.

looking at his time, ustiougov probably fell in the qualls or had a mechanical. too bad, b/c i expected him to wipe out the field. while originally not planned, he may now be entered for a team sprint tomorrow. i hope so. as to falla vs. matveva, it was interesting to see that they both ran in the same heats where falla took a commanding win except the final. looks like falla is either tired or the work the russ is doing with cramer is paying off.

...in men, the norwegians had the cream of their sprinting team. they must earn the spot on their world team. so they competed hard. indeed, 3 of the 6 in the final were norges. still, almost to the last 200 m it looked like they all may skip the podium with pelle and hamilton stretching the field. in the end, skar passed hamilton by millimiters and pelle got winded from leading too much and partaking in late QF heats...

brilliant race from hamilton who we all know can steal a sprint from anyone on his day.

lots of falls when the course was quite wide and not all that technical.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

14 Jan 2017 15:58

That was just ridiculous by Kaisa. Destroyed the field, maybe the best individual performance of the season for me.
Singer01

14 Jan 2017 16:06

Yeah really strong. But in all honesty she is always really quick but never hits all the targets, and once she did I think with how she has been going this season it wasn't unexpected that this would happen.

Weirer seems pretty slow on the skis which is a shame because she shot brilliantly, especially the standing shoot. She is normally excellent in pursuits so could podium tomorrow. Dorin Habert had the opposite issue, really quick but missing a target. Soukalova as expected really, quick and great shooting but she just isn't as fast as Kaisa (perhaps 5 or so seconds slower than expected). Dahlmeier was perhaps slightly slower than I thought she would be, she was 10 seconds off Soukalova which isn't where she'd want to be, and not a great sign for tomorrow.
Brullnux

Re:

14 Jan 2017 16:33

python wrote:a tad strange, but otherwise interesting sprints in toblah..the 2 biggest surprises came from the russ. 1st it was ustiougov who did not even qualify and then matveva beating falla fair and square for the gold.

looking at his time, ustiougov probably fell in the qualls or had a mechanical. too bad, b/c i expected him to wipe out the field. while originally not planned, he may now be entered for a team sprint tomorrow. i hope so. as to falla vs. matveva, it was interesting to see that they both ran in the same heats where falla took a commanding win except the final. looks like falla is either tired or the work the russ is doing with cramer is paying off.

...in men, the norwegians had the cream of their sprinting team. they must earn the spot on their world team. so they competed hard. indeed, 3 of the 6 in the final were norges. still, almost to the last 200 m it looked like they all may skip the podium with pelle and hamilton stretching the field. in the end, skar passed hamilton by millimiters and pelle got winded from leading too much and partaking in late QF heats...

brilliant race from hamilton who we all know can steal a sprint from anyone on his day.

lots of falls when the course was quite wide and not all that technical.

Ustiugov fell. Pity for him. It's no guarantee he would have won, particularly after the exertions of the tour and having to go up against fresh sprinters. Was Harvey the only other tour finisher that raced today? Still, I suspect many had placed their bets on Ustiugov. I think testing to see how his fitness would hold after the tour and closing the gap the gap to Sundby in the overall WC was what he and the coaches were probably looking for. That was an opportunity lost. Sundby will in all likelihood race next weekend in Sweden and will be taking points, perhaps even winning, while Ustiugov will stay in Toblach and train, before heading to Norwegian nationals. That should be interesting, going up against the best of the best in Norway.

Who will the Norwegians take for the sprint in Lahti? My guess is that Northug, being the defending champ is in, then Krogh, Klaebo, Skar (a win today and a podium in Davos last month) aaaaand the last spot (Norway will have 5 spots as Northug is def. champ) will be an interesting fight. Golberg? Taugboel? Iversen? Hattestad? Brandsdal? Fossli?

This sort of course suits Simi Hamilton to a T. Not hard, lot's of gliding, V2 alternate/V2 skiing and drafting comes into play and he's very good at that. Two of his problems in the past were A.) Simply not being serious enough about training and staying fit all year, which also saw him getting sick and B.) Not being aggressive enough during the heats. Now that he's improved upon both of those aspects, he's showing his potential. I think he is a dark horse for Lahti for sure. The course is longer and more challenging, but I think he'll be top 10 there, at least.

The women's race was great. Matveeva is a bit like Hamilton in the way she skis. Very smooth and deceptive, particularly in the finish. Falla had the tempo but ran out of gas slightly in the closing meters and Matveeva simply skied through. The Russian women might not have many opportunities for medals in Lahti, but if there is one, Matveeva is definitely it. The other chances lie with Tchekaleva in the distance events, the relay and the team sprint. Will be interesting to see how their U23 women do over there. Belorukova made the heats again today, but didn't have good skis and on that type of course, you don't stand a chance with less than optimal glide.

Question? How many skiers will be in S. Korea in three weeks? Norwegian nationals will take place around this time, so too the world juniors and U23's in Park City, USA (site of the 2002 olympics) and only a week after that, there is the Otepaa WC and days later is Lahti. I can't see too many top skiers heading to Asia.
BullsFan22

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

14 Jan 2017 23:06

I know he is a controversial figure, but Loginov is absolutely crushing the IBU Cup since the season started. Today he dominated the 20km individual in Arber. Looking at ski times only, the closest competitor was two minutes behind. The guy is super talented. The problem is that Ricco Gross isn't comfortable putting him on the world cup just yet, for obvious reasons, but he has to join the world cup sooner rather than later, particularly if the Russian A team members drop in form or one of them gets sick. He's served the normal two year suspension and should be back on the circuit. I think everyone deserves a second chance. If he shoots well, he can challenge for WC podiums on a regular basis, in my opinion.
BullsFan22

15 Jan 2017 00:40

Yeah, I was drooling all over the Analysis sheet today, hope he gets a shot at the WC soon, would be a shame to see such talent go to waste.

Kletcherov had 6th best time though, on WC lvl you can add a 0 to that, and that's on a good day, so that puts things into perspective a bit.
kingjr

Re: Nordic Skiing/Biathlon Thread

15 Jan 2017 08:12

BullsFan22 wrote:The guy is super talented. The problem is that Ricco Gross isn't comfortable putting him on the world cup just yet, for obvious reasons, but he has to join the world cup sooner rather than later, particularly if the Russian A team members drop in form or one of them gets sick. He's served the normal two year suspension and should be back on the circuit. I think everyone deserves a second chance. If he shoots well, he can challenge for WC podiums on a regular basis, in my opinion.

Loginov was doping, maybe for years. Well, Gross had just one chance to put him to World cup, give him some time, probably till next World cup ;)
Kokoso

15 Jan 2017 10:48

Hofer just missed 5 out of 5 in the prone, that isn't something you see every day
Brullnux

15 Jan 2017 11:08

This is getting too boring. Fourcade missed 3 shots amd he still was able to win against a EHS that missed... ZERO SHOTS!!
portugal11

15 Jan 2017 11:21

agree, it is getting boring to watch fourcade...shipulin probably spent too much energy closing the gap.
DJPbaltimore:'John Kerry is an honorable person and would not call out the Russians if there was not evidence', 'the 2 of you are russia stooges'
in foreign policy there are no eternal friendships or eternal enemies, only eternal interests
User avatar python
Veteran

15 Jan 2017 11:27

Wow, Krcmar - unbelievable performance today, huge improvement and the finish was very exciting, from 5th to 3rd, passed Peiffer and Shipulin despite that on the last intermediate it looked that he overcooked it and Shipulin is escaping...what a surprise at the finish to see Krcmar going past him and almost catching Svendsen! Few metres more and Krcmar would maybe pass even him. Great skiing today, I think 3rd time.
Kokoso

PreviousNext

Return to General