Log in:  

Register

The Dog Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

23 Nov 2017 19:15

Tricycle Rider wrote:This could go in the DIY thread as well, I had to make some alterations to Toby's raincoat. I had ordered it from Amazon, it fit so poorly that upon requesting to return it for a refund they didn't even want it back, they just told me to keep it for free. They must have been aware of what a crap product it is.

I had to add some velcro strips, this was a total pain in the **** because the strips are so thick my sowing machine wouldn't go through them. (As much as I love Toby I am not breaking my sewing machine for him!) So I had to sew them on by hand, this was also a pain because the glue on the strips made the needle and thread all sticky, this is something I'm not willing to do regularly.

I also had to sew the hood down, I'm not sure what the idea behind the hood was because if anything it's too large and covers the dog's eyes. Like I said, this is a real crap product!

Anyhoo, I fixed the raincoat up enough so it halfway fits, Toby should be able to frolic in the rain comfortably now. Image

PS - Against doctor's orders I gave the animal a baby shampoo bath the other day, he was just getting too stinky. (Toby is aware of when he stinks, he doesn't fight getting into the bathtub anymore, he actually enjoys it. He especially enjoys getting his butt washed, think he wants to feel fresh for the lady canines.) His rash is much better now, it's almost gone. So, yay!

Happy Thanksgiving Toby and TR!
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,449
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Re:

23 Nov 2017 19:26

jmdirt wrote:Happy Thanksgiving Toby and TR!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wife as well, jmdirt!

You think you'll ever get another pup again? They are such a pain in the ****, but they can bring so much joy as well.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,779
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: Re:

24 Nov 2017 05:25

Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Happy Thanksgiving Toby and TR!
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your wife as well, jmdirt!

You think you'll ever get another pup again? They are such a pain in the ****, but they can bring so much joy as well.

That's a tough question. I certainly can't say no, but...
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,449
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

24 Nov 2017 15:34

I don't know about JmDirt, but my wife and I years ago swore off of never ever getting a puppy, the potty training business soured us to that primarily, but also the chewing and thus destruction of things we might not want destroyed! We have never to this day ever got a puppy, the youngest dog we've ever had was one years old, fully potty trained and anti chew trained! We get all of our dogs from pounds or shelters, over the years we've adopted 5 dogs, we don't usually have more then one dog at a time and always larger breed dogs, but when our kids lived with us at one time we had two dogs, a small one for the kids to tease, and large one for roughhousing with! LOL!! We mostly stuck with pure or mix labs and retrievers due to their temperment, but once we had a German Shepherd which was a great dog and I hope someday to get another.

We won't do cats anymore, we had a cat after we first got married and that one was great but when it died we got a couple of more and they were destructive with their constant clawing, so after that we vowed off cats, besides no matter how hard you train a cat it won't get the newspaper...what good is a cat if it can't play fetch and get a newspaper?

We do fish but you know they can't get the paper either, they just eat and swim around, but I guess they do add a soothing sense to the decor.
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

Re:

25 Nov 2017 16:20

froze wrote:I don't know about JmDirt, but my wife and I years ago swore off of never ever getting a puppy, the potty training business soured us to that primarily, but also the chewing and thus destruction of things we might not want destroyed! We have never to this day ever got a puppy, the youngest dog we've ever had was one years old, fully potty trained and anti chew trained! We get all of our dogs from pounds or shelters, over the years we've adopted 5 dogs, we don't usually have more then one dog at a time and always larger breed dogs, but when our kids lived with us at one time we had two dogs, a small one for the kids to tease, and large one for roughhousing with! LOL!! We mostly stuck with pure or mix labs and retrievers due to their temperment, but once we had a German Shepherd which was a great dog and I hope someday to get another.

We won't do cats anymore, we had a cat after we first got married and that one was great but when it died we got a couple of more and they were destructive with their constant clawing, so after that we vowed off cats, besides no matter how hard you train a cat it won't get the newspaper...what good is a cat if it can't play fetch and get a newspaper?

We do fish but you know they can't get the paper either, they just eat and swim around, but I guess they do add a soothing sense to the decor.
Fish can be cool, I currently have a couple of goldfish in a 10-gallon tank. (They were about 50cents each, they were meant as food for bigger fish. I felt sorry for them, so I at least rescued a couple of them.)

I had fancier fish a while back in a bigger tank, but they were more delicate, they kinda croaked on me. Goldfish are easy, and being they are so cheap I'll probably get more once my current ones bite the dust. (Fish/aquariums are indeed soothing, btw., for me the funnest part is buying all the toys you can put in the aquarium. :D)

Nice you rescued some dogs from the shelter, there are so many who need a good home.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,779
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: Re:

26 Nov 2017 23:00

Tricycle Rider wrote:
froze wrote:I don't know about JmDirt, but my wife and I years ago swore off of never ever getting a puppy, the potty training business soured us to that primarily, but also the chewing and thus destruction of things we might not want destroyed! We have never to this day ever got a puppy, the youngest dog we've ever had was one years old, fully potty trained and anti chew trained! We get all of our dogs from pounds or shelters, over the years we've adopted 5 dogs, we don't usually have more then one dog at a time and always larger breed dogs, but when our kids lived with us at one time we had two dogs, a small one for the kids to tease, and large one for roughhousing with! LOL!! We mostly stuck with pure or mix labs and retrievers due to their temperment, but once we had a German Shepherd which was a great dog and I hope someday to get another.

We won't do cats anymore, we had a cat after we first got married and that one was great but when it died we got a couple of more and they were destructive with their constant clawing, so after that we vowed off cats, besides no matter how hard you train a cat it won't get the newspaper...what good is a cat if it can't play fetch and get a newspaper?

We do fish but you know they can't get the paper either, they just eat and swim around, but I guess they do add a soothing sense to the decor.
Fish can be cool, I currently have a couple of goldfish in a 10-gallon tank. (They were about 50cents each, they were meant as food for bigger fish. I felt sorry for them, so I at least rescued a couple of them.)

I had fancier fish a while back in a bigger tank, but they were more delicate, they kinda croaked on me. Goldfish are easy, and being they are so cheap I'll probably get more once my current ones bite the dust. (Fish/aquariums are indeed soothing, btw., for me the funnest part is buying all the toys you can put in the aquarium. :D)

Nice you rescued some dogs from the shelter, there are so many who need a good home.


We use to do the goldfish thing but stopped because they're dirty fish, they poop a lot! We have fresh water community type of fish, I don't know what they are because it's not a hobby for me, it's just something my wife likes but not a hobby for her either! LOL!! These community fish are pretty easy and cheap nor do they croak a bunch either. Mine average between 5 to 10 years, I know people I talked to are amazed as to how long ours lives, not sure why ours do, I "think" it's because my aquarium is a 45 gallon tank and I have a Fluval Aqua Clear Power Filter that is rated for 40 to 70 gallon tank instead of the typical 20 to 50 gallon most people buy for our size tank, so maybe it's the better filtration job that is making the fish live longer? I don't know, but I do know that with the bigger one there is a bit of a current in the tank whereas with smaller ones there wasn't. I also have an aerator in the tank as well, so maybe that helps? I'm not an expert on this sort of thing but I always tend to do things a bit more then required so I got a filtering system that is one size up for the size of the tank. I don't like this sort of thing taking a lot of my time, so the larger filtering system I've notices doesn't require as much tank cleaning as it did with smaller units and that's a big plus for me! I also like the Fluval the best of the ones I've tried, the main foam filter and the BioMax rocks are all washable, the only thing I have to replace is the carbon bag. Speaking of the filters, with this Fluval you can actually increase the filtering capability, so what I've done is I have the foam filter, on top of that I put a ammonia remover, on top that I put 2 carbon baggies spread out to form a bed on top of which I put the BioMax rocks, typically I'm suppose to use the foam, one of either a carbon or a phosphate, and the rocks, but I read about users doing this on the internet so I did it and it works great. The carbon bags should be replaced once a month, and the ammonia bags about once every 3 months. The Biomax rocks are also suppose to remove ammonia, so I am probably two timing it, but the fish seem happy so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing, and it's what some people on the internet were recommending as well.

I've had issues with the Aqueon and Marineland systems, both failed before the warranty was up, I had the Marineland one first it failed twice in a year, so I exchanged it for a Aqueon, it too failed twice in a year, so I exchanged it for Fluval, so far after a year it's still running. I had a Marineland that lasted 10 or so years, when it failed I bought another and now they won't last. They don't make anything like they use to, so I hope this Fluval lasts because I actually like the way it works better then the others, if not I may have to make a bigger price jump and go into systems like the smaller Eheim or the Penn Plax which a friend of mine claims their the best for tanks of my size up to 90 gallons, those are about 2 1/2 times more expensive but I don't like stuff failing prematurely either so it may be worth if that Fluval fails.

I kind of don't like the external systems like the Eheim and the Penn Plax because I never like the looks of something like those, but if comes down to it I'll do it.

I wanted a pirate ship in the water but my wife thought it was silly so I just have a "beach" house and a volcano that has the aerator inside, we have the usual rocks and plants, all of our rocks glow in the dark which is kind of cool to see when you turn the lights off, but the glowing effect only last about a 1/2 an hour, not sure if they make better glowing rocks are not.

Interesting dog related subject! it's the end of a weekend what the heck, although there is such a fish called a dogfish but their too big for my tank, but that may have been more on subject...Lol!!
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

28 Nov 2017 00:03

Wow, froze, sounds like your aquarium is the size of a pool and your filtration system cost more than the fish itself! lol. But yes, I'd say stick with what you've been doing, it's what I'm doing with my rather cheapy filtration and water treatment and my fish last much longer than they really should. Not that that's a bad thing, of course.

It's true goldfish and even koi crap a lot, but them not being adverse to swimming in their own poo is also what makes them so hardy. Or at least one of the things, I would think. Interesting thing about koi (I used to keep some) is they're popular in Japan, some Japanese collectors are willing to pay as much as $10,000 for a particularly large and nice one. :surprised: (Yeah, I think I'll just stick to the 50cent goldfish.)

We did veer off course a bit (no biggie, I think), but to bring the thread back on the topic of canines...

Toby has two more days on the antibiotics, and he's also been prescribed something called apoquel, which is a type of veterinary allergy med. He'll be on the apoquel for another two weeks, his rash is completely gone now. So much so that I let him out of the lampshade for a bit here and there, he is no longer tempted to chew on his leg the minute I take it off. So that's finally some progress.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,779
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

28 Nov 2017 18:35

Actually 45 gallons is not that large looking when it's in a 600 square foot living room, and the filteration system only cost $40 with tax and I bought that ammonia pad and 2 extra carbon pads to add to the filters in the filteration unit. That's why I said I may have to step up if these low end units keep failing, and the brands I mentioned are the lowest costing filterations system you can buy. I don't like spending money I don't have to, fortunately the ones that failed I got covered by warranty so I didn't pay a dime for the replacements, I didn't even pay for the Fluval except for the extras I bought. I guess the only thing that upsets me is that after 30 years of having aquariums is that the lower end filters of old would last about 10 years, not any more, or at least those two other brands didn't, not sure about the Fluval yet. Things keep going up in price and the reliability keeps going down.
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

Re:

28 Nov 2017 22:08

froze wrote:Actually 45 gallons is not that large looking when it's in a 600 square foot living room, and the filteration system only cost $40 with tax and I bought that ammonia pad and 2 extra carbon pads to add to the filters in the filteration unit. That's why I said I may have to step up if these low end units keep failing, and the brands I mentioned are the lowest costing filterations system you can buy. I don't like spending money I don't have to, fortunately the ones that failed I got covered by warranty so I didn't pay a dime for the replacements, I didn't even pay for the Fluval except for the extras I bought. I guess the only thing that upsets me is that after 30 years of having aquariums is that the lower end filters of old would last about 10 years, not any more, or at least those two other brands didn't, not sure about the Fluval yet. Things keep going up in price and the reliability keeps going down.
I think this could be said of virtually anything nowadays. The young'uns have no idea how reliable products used to be, there was a certain level of quality that was expected.

Apologies, btw., I forgot to mention your aquarium set-up (the "toys" in it and such) sounds lovely! Here's my humble 10-gallon tank, not much room for treasure caskets I'm afraid. Would love to have some, but then I'd have to get a bigger tank.

Image

PS - Sorry if we're veering waaaay off course again, dog lovers, as soon as there is any more news on Toby I'll be sure to post it.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,779
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

29 Nov 2017 02:16

Your tank isn't a whole lot different then mine just a bit smaller, I have gravel of course like yours, I have fake plastic plants too like yours though I prefer live ones but my wife doesn't, I have 5 of those glow in the dark rocks, a beach house, and a volcano that bubbles and that's it, nothing much more then you have. I got my tank used in a garage sale so that saved me about $150, you can find used aquariums on Craigslist all day long, and some will come with extras like a ship etc that you can put into the tank. I'm not sure if I would use old gravel unless it was cleaned really well.
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

Re:

02 Dec 2017 19:17

froze wrote:Your tank isn't a whole lot different then mine just a bit smaller, I have gravel of course like yours, I have fake plastic plants too like yours though I prefer live ones but my wife doesn't, I have 5 of those glow in the dark rocks, a beach house, and a volcano that bubbles and that's it, nothing much more then you have. I got my tank used in a garage sale so that saved me about $150, you can find used aquariums on Craigslist all day long, and some will come with extras like a ship etc that you can put into the tank. I'm not sure if I would use old gravel unless it was cleaned really well.
Not sure I would use old gravel either, fishies have their own diseases as much as any other species. (I had some koi once who all died of ich.)

Your set-up sounds so awesome, now I want to get one of those bubbling volcanoes or treasure chests! :D

Thanks for reminding me of changing the filter, btw., it was definitely time. This is my filter setup, in addition to it I also use that AquaSafe tap water treatment stuff, plus I have a heating unit. (Which may or may not still work.)Image

I can get away with this kind of cheapy setup because goldfish are hardy, tropical fish are much more demanding, and ergo, expensive and time consuming. With an aging dog around I am not willing to invest that much into an aquarium.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,779
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

03 Dec 2017 04:31

I didn't mention my heating unit, I just figured all tanks have those so no need to mention it. I use that same Aqua Safe stuff as you do. Speaking of heaters, I had a heater for about 9 years, it stopped working so of course I got a new one, that one quit about 2 years but had a lifetime warranty, they refused to honor the warranty saying it doesn't cover it getting worn out! I can't recall the brand of that heater; anyway got another heater with a weird warranty, it says lifetime warranty on the box, but the instructions says it's a 2 year warranty...huh? not that the lifetime warranty means anything as I found out, but to say one thing on the box and another on the instructions is just weird.

I tried to post a pic of the tank but I can't get the damn thing to post here. :mad:
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

Re:

04 Dec 2017 13:37

froze wrote:I didn't mention my heating unit, I just figured all tanks have those so no need to mention it. I use that same Aqua Safe stuff as you do. Speaking of heaters, I had a heater for about 9 years, it stopped working so of course I got a new one, that one quit about 2 years but had a lifetime warranty, they refused to honor the warranty saying it doesn't cover it getting worn out! I can't recall the brand of that heater; anyway got another heater with a weird warranty, it says lifetime warranty on the box, but the instructions says it's a 2 year warranty...huh? not that the lifetime warranty means anything as I found out, but to say one thing on the box and another on the instructions is just weird.

I tried to post a pic of the tank but I can't get the damn thing to post here. :mad:
That's too bad you can't post a picture, I'd really like to see your aquarium. :(

Turns out my heating unit is broken, so I'll have to replace it. (Not that the goldfish can tell the difference, they can survive in very cold water.) And being Christmas is coming up I've decided to treat my inner child with this blowing bubbles diver... he doesn't really do much besides stand there and blow bubbles, but I think he looks really cool. Not sure which color to get, though, everyone seems to prefer the white, but I think the red one would add more color to my tank. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ATD0Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1#Ask

With any of these blowing bubbles toys I'll of course have to buy an air pump and air hose, plus a back flow valve and airflow regulating valve... it's so easy to get carried away with all these aquarium toys. But they're so much fun, too! :D

Somewhat back on track: I have a feeling Toby will have to make a trip to the dermatologist, he's starting to scratch and chew again all over when I take the lampshade off. We'll see once he's completely off his meds.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,779
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: Re:

05 Dec 2017 03:53

Tricycle Rider wrote:
froze wrote:I didn't mention my heating unit, I just figured all tanks have those so no need to mention it. I use that same Aqua Safe stuff as you do. Speaking of heaters, I had a heater for about 9 years, it stopped working so of course I got a new one, that one quit about 2 years but had a lifetime warranty, they refused to honor the warranty saying it doesn't cover it getting worn out! I can't recall the brand of that heater; anyway got another heater with a weird warranty, it says lifetime warranty on the box, but the instructions says it's a 2 year warranty...huh? not that the lifetime warranty means anything as I found out, but to say one thing on the box and another on the instructions is just weird.

I tried to post a pic of the tank but I can't get the damn thing to post here. :mad:
That's too bad you can't post a picture, I'd really like to see your aquarium. :(

Turns out my heating unit is broken, so I'll have to replace it. (Not that the goldfish can tell the difference, they can survive in very cold water.) And being Christmas is coming up I've decided to treat my inner child with this blowing bubbles diver... he doesn't really do much besides stand there and blow bubbles, but I think he looks really cool. Not sure which color to get, though, everyone seems to prefer the white, but I think the red one would add more color to my tank. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ATD0Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1#Ask

With any of these blowing bubbles toys I'll of course have to buy an air pump and air hose, plus a back flow valve and airflow regulating valve... it's so easy to get carried away with all these aquarium toys. But they're so much fun, too! :D

Somewhat back on track: I have a feeling Toby will have to make a trip to the dermatologist, he's starting to scratch and chew again all over when I take the lampshade off. We'll see once he's completely off his meds.


The diver guy is cool; but those cheap pumps they offer for $7 SUCK, they're loud and won't last more then a year. This one is a good one for the money, you should only need one air outlet UNLESS you plan on adding more air things later so maybe plan on two outlets just in case? if not save yourself some money and get the single outlet. see: Fluval Q1 Air Pump https://www.amazon.com/Fluval-A852-Q2-Air-Pump/dp/B005JFFC4K?tag=thoroughlyreviewed-20&th=1 There are better ones out there but the price goes up and up and up! Just stay away from anything less then $10 and you should be fine. The really good ones cost $60, you have to weigh out whether to spend money now and be done with it, or buy several lower costing ones over that same time period. I have the Fluval and it's good enough for me.
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

07 Dec 2017 10:40

Like a poor, starving, and unemployed amateur athlete my goldfish go searching for food in the middle of the night... providing the right lighting and some peace and quiet you can actually see and hear them moving the gravel around in search of food. (I never knew they did this till I started paying attention.)

Image

I would agree quiet air pumps are hard to find, froze, I just went with the Tetra one, and I also went with the bubbling treasure chest. (The chest does actually open, but I have it set to a pace where the fish won't freak out.)

Image

Ok, back to dog talk - had some agent/advocate from Medicare drop by earlier, Toby was at his best behavior. Usually he barks his head off when there's a stranger in the house, but with this dude Toby was being cool.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,779
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Today 04:13

Dogs can smell, I mean this literally, they can smell whether or not a person is of bad moral character, in the same way dogs are trained to detect blood sugar levels in humans, high blood pressure problems, impending heart attack or seizure, they can even smell different kinds of cancer, smell illegal drugs even when wrapped in layers of plastic to prevent a dog from smelling it, they smell money...yes, dogs will stand beside a TSA agent and as people get on and off planes the dog is passively standing there looking like it's not doing much but it's working, if a person walks buy with drugs or too much cash the dog gives a hint to the TSA agent and the game is on. So your dog could smell that the stranger was not a threat.
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 89
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Back to top