Log in:  

Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

13 Jan 2018 21:26

macbindle wrote:Interesting perception of the North Korea situation going on here. So Trumps bluster has forced the Koreans to hit the table has it?

So nothing at all to do with Kim's ability to develop and test nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles then? Which, by the way, are more about having a bargaining chip and forcing talks than anything else. Looks to me like Kim has played the blinder and Trumps is left frothing and then claiming that the Norks and Southerners get together is his doing.


I do find the readings of Trump’s supreme agency to be a little suspect.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,666
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2018 21:32

aphronesis wrote:
Dazed and Confused wrote:
aphronesis wrote:With the links? I don’t think so. If anyone cares about any of them enough to discuss, fine. I’m not going to editorialize beforehand.


well, if the the link is just shite why bother...


Hey if you disagree brother that’s your right. I’m not going to waste time trying to convince you otherwise.


You really shouldn't think about me.
Just the broader concept. However one can continue the single minded approach if thats what you prefer. Go APHRO.....
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,599
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

Re: Re:

13 Jan 2018 21:41

Dazed and Confused wrote:
aphronesis wrote:
Dazed and Confused wrote:
aphronesis wrote:With the links? I don’t think so. If anyone cares about any of them enough to discuss, fine. I’m not going to editorialize beforehand.


well, if the the link is just shite why bother...


Hey if you disagree brother that’s your right. I’m not going to waste time trying to convince you otherwise.


You really shouldn't think about me.
Just the broader concept. However one can continue the single minded approach if thats what you prefer. Go APHRO.....




Frankly, I didn’t really think about you until you got upset. I have myriad reasons for posting links I post. Cross pollination, boredom/down time, curiosity...

Something you want to get off your chest pal? Or just unclear how to express your newfound interest in US politics?

What is the “broader concept”? You can read the links or not; people do both.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,666
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

13 Jan 2018 21:48

lol, congrats ahrp ( or whatever), methinks you have have just proven my point,

Blutto v,.2.0.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,599
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

13 Jan 2018 21:52

Well, I know you’ve proven mine, which is that you’re annoyed by something but lack the stones to be direct and have nothing on topic to say but that I should be more on topic.

In truth I was posting to this thread before blutto, but hey whatevs.

That said, blutto’s gone. What’s your issue with me, now? I disagree with how someone reads history in politics? That is one point of this thread.

One of the links stuck a pickle in you? I’m not posting them scattershot.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,666
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

13 Jan 2018 22:00

The first two sentences are essentially worth nothing, but I will take note of the last part.......

-responding to a edited post
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,599
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

13 Jan 2018 22:02

All apparently true. What’s the issue? Don’t like my read of Us politics?
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,666
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re:

13 Jan 2018 22:19

aphronesis wrote:All apparently true. What’s the issue? Don’t like my read of Us politics?


I don't think I care about you view of US politics, mainly pointing out the style of posts seems similar to the likes of blutto's.... or as least the respond. Essentially.

Educate me please.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,599
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

13 Jan 2018 22:25

Educate you about what?

Aside from the fact that blutto and I could both be combative and post links from left of center, there’s rather a lot of difference in our styles and emphases. If you’d read much of this thread, you’d know that. But I suspect you haven’t.

But again, you seem caught on the polemics. Why? You bored? If you dislike something get to it; I’m not going to tell on you.

This thread is about US politics. If you have an issue with me the poster, report it, take it to the mod thread or get it out and stop acting like a coy illiterate child.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,666
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

13 Jan 2018 22:39

Reasonable and well thought out response aphro,.., (Not in favor of using mods etc..).
Anyway I still think we are dealing with a blu.. type poster here. One more response from me......
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,599
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

13 Jan 2018 22:49

Look man. Entertaining as this might be, I’m not going to waste more thread space on the issue.

You think I’m doing something but lack the stones or vocab to spell it out. If you think I’m wrecking the thread or another poster’s posting experience get steppin’ to the mods. Again, the thread is about politics, if someone says something I find specious, I say so. Anyone else can do the same. Other than that I post about once a day. Once. And in music.

Maybe you should get whatever out of your jacksie and have a nice sit somewhere.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,666
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

Re:

13 Jan 2018 23:01

aphronesis wrote:Look man. Entertaining as this might be, I’m not going to waste more thread space on the issue.

You think I’m doing something but lack the stones or vocab to spell it out. If you think I’m wrecking the thread or another poster’s posting experience get steppin’ to the mods. Again, the thread is about politics, if someone says something I find specious, I say so. Anyone else can do the same. Other than that I post about once a day. Once. And in music.

Maybe you should get whatever out of your jacksie and have a nice sit somewhere.


'Forgive me for ignoring the bulk of of stuff above , but I stress the quality of the this thread seem going downwards after Blutto and SoCall, don't you agree?
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,599
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

13 Jan 2018 23:07

Sure. Scott yes. Frankly blutto never really told me anything I didn’t know. But he did contribute a lot. However, neither of them needed to get themselves banned and I didn’t get them banned, so there you go. Blutto, actually , seemed a little mental after whatever grudge match he had in the disc brake thread that set off his string of bans.

My point to you is that if you don’t like something I do then tell me so in specific terms (not coy) or ask a question. Otherwise don’t pretend to yourself that you’re helping anything.
aphronesis
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,666
Joined: 30 Jul 2011 16:47
Location: Bed-Stuy

14 Jan 2018 00:47

As I try and point out from time to time..we need to protect our children.. Trump's links to porn stars, false claims about IRS dealing, ties to dirty filthy foreign money.. sure significant.. even his racist blurts need to be temporarily ignored..he has put the wheels in motion to send young American boys and more horrible.. young girls to dangerous, foreign countries because he thinks it's a good idea.. deporting a 12 or 13 year old American girl to El Salvador because you are too busy playing golf, sucking racist D's.. holding them in his tiny hands is simply not valid..
Trump needs to do his job at his place of work.. not from Florida..
He definitely needs to update the libel laws so Obama and the dozens of others can get some of his Russian laundered loot..
Being a racist is not against the law.. starting fights with other religions and races world wide.. again.. ill advised but not against the law.. trashing decades of coordination between critical allies , horrible.. now our President can't travel to England Norway, Mexico or anywhere in Africa without destabilizing the region..? What a clown..
Congress needs to come up with solutions for our kids safety and well-being.. do it before walls or more words from Trump..
Impeachment is even secondary to making sure kids don't get thrashed by Jeff Sessions and his jack booted thugs..
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 804
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

14 Jan 2018 04:28

Lindsey Graham: "I said my piece to Donald Trump after the president's comments about Africa and Haiti that have stirred such controversy". So he's pretty much saying that dt said what we all heard, but doesn't quite have the guts to come out and say it. But Georgia Sen. David Perdue and Arkansas Sen. Tom Cotton issued a joint statement Friday: "We do not recall the president saying these comments specifically." I wonder if they got the same money as Stormy for their similar services? It seems like there are some other quiet Rs who were in that room...
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,132
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: U.S. Politics

14 Jan 2018 05:39

ScienceIsCool wrote:

Non-sequitur.

Trump, the self-centered fool, is trolling everyone *and hard* to tear down the establishment. Just like he said he would. He just doesn't come at you straight on as you would expect. And despite appearing brittle and reactionary, he just doesn't care as long as it furthers his agenda. Is he smart? Lots of ways to define that. Most of them, no. Is he wise? Hahahaha! Is he winning? By every measure, yes.

I do think he has a vision of what the world should be and he's going for it full throttle. It's completely anti-establishment but is willing to use it to get what he wants. And that's why the establishment is destroying itself to get rid of him.

Check this out: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/48572.htm

John Swanson


So, in essence Trump is a stable genius? A conjuror-politician, whose vast strategic gameplay is so clever and complex that to the indolent sub-genius mocking masses it appears as merely a series of random reactive blunders to be met with howls of derision, whereas in reality each move is Karpov chessplay, wrong-footing and disarming America's enemies and competitors?

Trump is winning by every measure? What is he winning precisely?

Remember: Putin loves Trump. Why? Because every time Trump alienates an entire nation he paves the way for the Russians and Chinese to start whispering in their ears...


Yes. Pure win.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re: U.S. Politics

14 Jan 2018 10:17

macbindle wrote:So, in essence Trump is a stable genius? A conjuror-politician, whose vast strategic gameplay is so clever and complex that to the indolent sub-genius mocking masses it appears as merely a series of random reactive blunders to be met with howls of derision, whereas in reality each move is Karpov chessplay, wrong-footing and disarming America's enemies and competitors?

Trump is winning by every measure? What is he winning precisely?

Remember: Putin loves Trump. Why? Because every time Trump alienates an entire nation he paves the way for the Russians and Chinese to start whispering in their ears...


Yes. Pure win.

No, not at all. No genius. He's just not playing the game that you want him to. He's playing something entirely different. And by those rules, he's winning and bigly.

It's kind of like that time during his campaign. He laid it out how the system actually works. Hillary Clinton went to Trumps wedding. Not because they're friends! But because he had donated to her senatorial election. He's smart enough to acknowledge how things actually work and will manipulate the levers of power accordingly.

John Swanson
ScienceIsCool
Member
 
Posts: 1,733
Joined: 05 Jul 2009 15:34

14 Jan 2018 10:21

What game do you feel he is playing? If it is smearing himself with his own excrement, in defiance, then yes, hes probably winning.
(Warning: Posts may contain traces of irony)
User avatar macbindle
Member
 
Posts: 1,028
Joined: 22 Dec 2017 16:46

Re: U.S. Politics

14 Jan 2018 13:26

ScienceIsCool wrote:
No, not at all. No genius. He's just not playing the game that you want him to. He's playing something entirely different. And by those rules, he's winning and bigly.

It's kind of like that time during his campaign. He laid it out how the system actually works. Hillary Clinton went to Trumps wedding. Not because they're friends! But because he had donated to her senatorial election. He's smart enough to acknowledge how things actually work and will manipulate the levers of power accordingly.

John Swanson


Trump calls to mind James Thurber's famous tale about the owl:

James Thurber
"The Owl Who Was God"

Once upon a starless midnight there was an owl who sat on the branch of an oak tree. Two ground moles tried to slip quietly by, unnoticed. "You!" said the owl. "Who?" they quavered, in fear and astonishment, for they could not believe it was possible for anyone to see them in that thick darkness. "You two!" said the owl. The moles hurried away and told the other creatures of the field and forest that the owl was the greatest and wisest of all animals because he could see in the dark and because he could answer any question. "I’ll see about that, "said a secretary bird, and he called on the owl one night when it was again very dark. "How many claws am I holding up?" said the secretary bird. "Two," said the owl, and that was right. "Can you give me another expression for ‘that is to say’ or ‘namely’?" asked the secretary bird. "To wit," said the owl. "Why does the lover call on his love?" "To woo," said the owl.

The secretary bird hastened back to the other creatures and reported that the owl indeed was the greatest and wisest animal in the world because he could see in the dark and because he could answer any question. "Can he see in the daytime, too?" asked a red fox? "Yes," answered a dormouse and a French poodle. "Can he see in the daytime, too?" All the other creatures laughed loudly at this silly question, and they set upon the red fox and his friends and drove them out of the region. They sent a messenger to the owl and asked him to be their leader.

When the owl appeared among the animals it was high noon and the sun was shining brightly. He walked very slowly, which gave him an appearance of great dignity, and he peered about him with large, staring eyes, which gave him an air of tremendous importance. "He’s God!" screamed a Plymouth rock hen. And the others took up the cry "He’s God!" So they followed him wherever he went and when he bumped into things they began to bump into things, too. Finally he came to a concrete highway and he started up the middle of it and all the other creatures followed him. Presently a hawk, who was acting as outrider, observed a truck coming toward them at fifty miles an hour, and he reported to the secretary bird and the secretary bird reported to the owl. "There’s danger ahead," said the secretary bird. "To wit?" said the owl. The secretary bird told him. "Aren’t you afraid?" he asked. "Who?" said the owl calmly, for he could not see the truck. "He’s God!" cried all the creatures again, and they were still crying "He’s God" when the truck hit them and ran them down. Some of the animals were merely injured, but most of them, including the owl, were killed.

Moral: You can fool too many of the people too much of the time.


https://www.k-state.edu/english/baker/english320/Thurber-The_Owl_Who_Was_God.htm
Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,757
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

Re:

14 Jan 2018 13:49

    macbindle wrote:What game do you feel he is playing? If it is smearing himself with his own excrement, in defiance, then yes, hes probably winning.

    Honestly, I think he's trying to build a legacy. He's already made himself rich, done the whole master of enterprise thing, and the celebrity shtick. I think he looked at politics and said "yeah I can do that" and decided to go big. Winning is everything for this guy, so he used what he knew about how the system works and did whatever it took. And he won!

    Beyond that, I think he believes that there are some things wrong with America and he wants to fix them. Bringing back manufacturing jobs. Protecting the borders. Fixing trade imbalances. Avoiding ideological entanglements like pissing off Russia. If he could bring peace to Palestine and normalize relations with North Korea, he thinks he'd go down as a legend. Does he know how to do that? Nope. But he knows how to manipulate people and work the levers of power. So that's what he's doing while avoiding direct confrontations at all costs. PIssing people off and abusing Twitter is just a perk for a guy like him.

    John Swanson
    ScienceIsCool
    Member
     
    Posts: 1,733
    Joined: 05 Jul 2009 15:34

    PreviousNext

    Return to General

    Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests

    Back to top