Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

12 Sep 2018 13:54

aphronesis wrote:Yeah, but I feel better with Obama back on the case: he’s so handsome and articulate

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/conjuring-up-the-next-depression/

Yup, complete sentences and everything...trump slams the mayor of SanJuan after trump blows smoke about Puerto Rico and how 'excellent' the support was..it was poor and the storm was one of the deadliest. trump just can't STFU..

More and more convinced the 'anonymous' op-ed was a group..like Kelly, Mattis, maybe Pompeo..keeping this moron from blowing up the world.he is so ignorant..complains about the cost but spends $75 MILLION plus on every week golf outings..at HIS golf courses, that the tax payer pays the tab for..to HIM..disgusting.
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

12 Sep 2018 20:08

When will people realize that they should not be attached to material things, I've asked myself?
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2018 00:59

rhubroma wrote:When will people realize that they should not be attached to material things, I've asked myself?

Can you define 'attached' as it applies to your assertion?
jmdirt

13 Sep 2018 04:14

So head to head..Trump is smarter than Obama?
Trump is better looking? Trump is a better father?..*and before you answer check the stories about his kids not talking to him for 4 months after it was discovered Donald was glazing his donut w someone other than his wife..
Is Trump a better athlete?
Which guy can read? Trump or Obama?
Making a dig about Obama maybe correct.. but if your teenage daughter overheats or gets a flat on the side of the road I hope AAA or Obama gets there before Mr Serial Pussi Graver .
Pretty bad when multiple sources write that Trump has taken a lesson from Slick Willy Clinton.. Never go on record.. under oath..that will surely trip up any habitual lying bag of chit
Unchained

Re:

13 Sep 2018 05:56

rhubroma wrote:When will people realize that they should not be attached to material things, I've asked myself?

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/pop-culture/how-living-scandinavia-changed-way-i-think-about-success-money-ncna908846
"This comment qualifies as a shining example of the "anyone who disagrees with my perspective is a dolt" leftist, intolerant mish-mash of shallow thinking." - Scott SoCal
User avatar frenchfry

Re:

13 Sep 2018 13:51

Unchained wrote:So head to head..Trump is smarter than Obama?
Trump is better looking? Trump is a better father?..*and before you answer check the stories about his kids not talking to him for 4 months after it was discovered Donald was glazing his donut w someone other than his wife..
Is Trump a better athlete?
Which guy can read? Trump or Obama?
Making a dig about Obama maybe correct.. but if your teenage daughter overheats or gets a flat on the side of the road I hope AAA or Obama gets there before Mr Serial Pussi Graver .
Pretty bad when multiple sources write that Trump has taken a lesson from Slick Willy Clinton.. Never go on record.. under oath..that will surely trip up any habitual lying bag of chit

Of course but the basket of deplorables and more than a few true believers in his 'crew' think he IS smarter than President Obama.
In an alternate universe, President Donald Trump would be heading into the midterms relentlessly touting his stewardship of a strong economy with results that include historically low unemployment, solid economic growth, sky-high enthusiasm among small businesses and shattered records for job openings.

Instead, the president is repeatedly muddling that message with easily debunked falsehoods or hyperbole about the state of the economy while pressing on with unpopular trade wars that frustrate establishment Republicans and business groups worried about price increases. His undisciplined approach — coupled with his obsessing about the Russia investigation, Hillary Clinton and the 2016 election — is damaging what many Republicans say should have been a political slam dunk for the GOP heading into the fall.

Why? Because he is an ignorant, arrogant pri&K. All about him, 'show horse not work horse', a cartoon character who is shunned by most of the real business people, particularly in NYC..
Veteran

Re: U.S. Politics

13 Sep 2018 14:00

trump really is an idiot..he's gotta go
Without providing any evidence, Trump claimed Democrats tried to "make me look bad" by boosting the number of people who died in the wake of the storms "

According to independent analysis commissioned by the governor of Puerto Rico and conducted by researchers at George Washington University's Milken Institute School of Public Health, an estimated 2,975 more deaths than average were recorded on the island from September 2017 to February 2018, compared to the government's first estimate of 64 deaths as a result of the hurricane.

The death records were provided by the Puerto Rico Vital Statistics Records division of the Puerto Rico Department of Health. The study found that those in low-income areas, and elderly men, were at greatest risk of dying as parts of the island remained without power and electricity for months after the storm.

San Juan mayor and frequent Trump critic Carmen Yulín Cruz tweeted in response to the president, "This is what denial following neglect looks like: Mr Pres in the real world people died on your watch. YOUR LACK OF RESPECT IS APPALLING!"

Don't need democrats to make you look bad donnie..every time you open your mouth you do that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/13/president-trump-has-made-more-than-false-or-misleading-claims/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.1d946f4cfeb8
Veteran

13 Sep 2018 14:49

Trump is gonna Trump. The lack of oversight from congress is the appalling thing. They literally don't care what happened in PR. Maybe there was nothing that even a competent president could do to prevent the deaths, but we will never know until Democrats have the majority in congress.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

13 Sep 2018 15:51

aphronesis
Veteran

13 Sep 2018 16:27

That was an entertaining read. I do wonder how "Anti-war" 1946 America really was.
Third, having had their fill of fighting from 1941 to 1945, Americans had a genuine aversion to war. They may not have been a peace-loving people, but they knew enough about war to see it as a great evil.
Korea started not long after this.
Unless you’ve got a STEM degree, good jobs are still hard to come by.
Actually, they are hard to come by with a STEM degree, too. Although that varies by the discipline.
Donald Trump: “If you go back to the Civil War, it was the Republicans who did the thing.”
djpbaltimore

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2018 17:03

Bustedknuckle wrote:
aphronesis wrote:Yeah, but I feel better with Obama back on the case: he’s so handsome and articulate

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/conjuring-up-the-next-depression/

Yup, complete sentences and everything...trump slams the mayor of SanJuan after trump blows smoke about Puerto Rico and how 'excellent' the support was..it was poor and the storm was one of the deadliest. trump just can't STFU..

Indeed. Having an informed, articulate, and focused leader actually does make a difference. A huge, meaningful, and relevant difference. People's lives are actually changed or saved by the difference.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

13 Sep 2018 19:16

aphronesis
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2018 19:31

I'll let you percolate on the difference between how having an informed, articulate, and focused leader "makes a huge, meaningful, and relevant difference" rather than...magically fixes everything.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

13 Sep 2018 20:00

well. if you can sort the need to have it be both meaningful and relevant i might take your exhortation and position half-seriously. maybe.

until then i’ll stick to some more rigorous journalism and poly-sci than infantile patriotic reflux that can’t say anything for itself.
aphronesis
Veteran

13 Sep 2018 21:10

I'm perplexed over how not having a magic wand is an alibi for not even putting up a fight, also at the expense of a second term. I mean corporate welfare continued unabated, finance capitalism resumed it's old ways, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were prolonged and reinforced, the disparity between wealth and the rest of society grew unchecked, public services and education continued to be enfeabled, the policies toward the subaltern classes weren't prioritized, business and consumer hegemony ran their inexorable triumph at the universities, etc. Moses did not even attempt to punish the Korists. But, then again, Moses the magus did have a magic wand...

User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2018 21:50

aphronesis wrote:well. if you can sort the need to have it be both meaningful and relevant i might take your exhortation and position half-seriously. maybe.

until then i’ll stick to some more rigorous journalism and poly-sci than infantile patriotic reflux that can’t say anything for itself.

You keep posting as if you understand my views and seem to need to lob insults at them. You don't, and your insults are well wide of the mark. You sound like you're talking to someone else.

Just follow the thread. That there were issues under the previous administration (and all administrations anywhere, ever) has no bearing on the fact that there were dramatically and meaningfully fewer issues of that sort under the previous administration than under this clown show. And that difference matters a lot. Literally life and death for people.

Are you having trouble following that fairly simple construct?

Or is it just that this fact utterly torpedoes the "they're all the same" narrative that some like to parrot? Honestly, I don't know.

Try to focus on what I'm saying, not what you think I mean. I'm pretty straightforward. It's pretty simple.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

Re:

13 Sep 2018 21:56

rhubroma wrote:I'm perplexed over how not having a magic wand is an alibi for not even putting up a fight, also at the expense of a second term. I mean corporate welfare continued unabated, finance capitalism resumed it's old ways, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were prolonged and reinforced, the disparity between wealth and the rest of society grew unchecked, public services and education continued to be enfeabled, the policies toward the subaltern classes weren't prioritized, business and consumer hegemony ran their inexorable triumph at the universities, etc. Moses did not even attempt to punish the Korists. But, then again, Moses the magus did have a magic wand...

It's not an alibi for anything. I'm certain I didn't claim it was.

I don't disagree with all the things you cite. I'll grant you all of it.

So what's the remedy? Re-elect a criminal idiot? Until someone can point to a solution, I'll continue to be motivated by real and meaningful differences in policy. Sanders would have made more of a difference, and my wife and I gave him money, time, and votes. He didn't make it, which is a shame.

Doesn't mean Trump and Obama are the same, or even close. Tell someone dying without health care about "subaltern classes". Should be a nice conversation, albeit brief.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

13 Sep 2018 21:58

You didn’t say anything. Nor have you in months. You made a banal assertion that’s at best minimally defensible. Which you seem unable to manage. I know your views based on what you post. And that self-reflection is not a strong suit.
aphronesis
Veteran

13 Sep 2018 22:03

I'm struggling to comprehend the meaningful differences between previous bombs cast on hospitals in proxy wars to maintain US hegemony and the current brutal nationalist rhetoric of a home grown idiot? The problem isn't national when speaking of the US, but global.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

Re: Re:

13 Sep 2018 22:07

red_flanders wrote:
rhubroma wrote:I'm perplexed over how not having a magic wand is an alibi for not even putting up a fight, also at the expense of a second term. I mean corporate welfare continued unabated, finance capitalism resumed it's old ways, the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were prolonged and reinforced, the disparity between wealth and the rest of society grew unchecked, public services and education continued to be enfeabled, the policies toward the subaltern classes weren't prioritized, business and consumer hegemony ran their inexorable triumph at the universities, etc. Moses did not even attempt to punish the Korists. But, then again, Moses the magus did have a magic wand...

It's not an alibi for anything. I'm certain I didn't claim it was.

I don't disagree with all the things you cite. I'll grant you all of it.

So what's the remedy? Re-elect a criminal idiot? Until someone can point to a solution, I'll continue to be motivated by real and meaningful differences in policy. Sanders would have made more of a difference, and my wife and I gave him money, time, and votes. He didn't make it, which is a shame.

Doesn't mean Trump and Obama are the same, or even close. Tell someone dying without health care about "subaltern classes". Should be a nice conversation, albeit brief.

Ah, but this is what is so essential and yet so supressed.
User avatar rhubroma
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General