Register

U.S. Politics

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

08 Nov 2018 15:54

aphronesis wrote:Barring an utter disaster that he bungles, it’s entirely reasonable to expect that Trump will get re-elected. A lot will depend on how the Dems handle their pick and canvas for voters.

Lots of potential pitfalls for this butt-head in chief..not the least of which is Mueller, even if CNX tomorrrow, a report is imminent. Add his corrupt biz practices, and his attpt at molding the DOJ as his persoanl 'fixer'..plus cohen and others..

BUT, you are right, the dems have to field a really strong, young set of candidates..and do more than 'trump is a dope'..which he is, of curse. I think having WI, MI, PA now be DEM governors plus 8.5% more voted for Dems than GOP says something..
User avatar Bustedknuckle
Veteran

Re:

08 Nov 2018 16:39

Unchained wrote:Another mass shooting..bunch of young people country dancing..a dead policeman..another clown dressed in black,smoke bombs and savagely slaughtering innocent people..
There is a problem..period..

A USMC and Afghanistan veteran to boot. He apparently used a glock handgun with an extended magazine. Expect a lot of thoughts prayers and little else from elected officials. If you can't ban bump stocks after Vegas, it really is hard to see how any gun legislation can move through congress.
None of us alone are as stupid as all of us together.
djpbaltimore

08 Nov 2018 19:52

The people doing the shooting and sending bombs are not from any caravan..@38% of upper management positions at the VA are still unfilled..could it..would it have made a difference for a troubled Ex Marine..? No one will ever know..a couple of families involved in this tragedy are doubly devastated..they had family shot at the Law Vegas massacre..
The idea that young people enjoying a night of dancing and country music suddenly murdered is bewildering..and completely crazy
Unchained

09 Nov 2018 06:14

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/getting-ugly-fast
Things are getting ugly fast in Florida. Rick Scott, clearly thinking he’s going to fall behind in the vote count and lose his campaign for Senate, is both filing lawsuits to stop the vote counting in South Florida and using his police powers as governor to do so.As in Georgia, having the candidate oversee the election has real shortcomings.

Who would have thought that overseeing an election and running as a candidate might be a problem? Geezus!
(Déjà vu or just normal GOP s**t?)

Edit - http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2018/11/marco-rubio-opposes-recount-in-florida-senate-race.html
Marco Rubio: Democrats Are Trying to Steal Florida Senate Race by Counting All the Votes
:lol:
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

09 Nov 2018 09:38

Rubio seriously said that?!
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

Re:

09 Nov 2018 10:16

King Boonen wrote:Rubio seriously said that?!

So it's implied. He seems to think there should be a cut off for counting ballots from what I can make out?
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

09 Nov 2018 10:21

So the White House is now publicizing clips that are doctored.
Of course this is only a detail in a disgusting show, but frankly, how the f*** do they succeed in lowering the bar every single day?

Explanation of how the video was edited to make Acosta's movement seem aggressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TSpgB0QS0g
(from 2:30)
User avatar Jagartrott

Re: Re:

09 Nov 2018 10:41

King Boonen wrote:
King Boonen wrote:Rubio seriously said that?!

So it's implied. He seems to think there should be a cut off for counting ballots from what I can make out?

It's the same ol' arguement that the GOP used in 2000 when Bush beat Gore - the US Supreme Court stopped the re-count then https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_v._Gore. Not to mention the Katherine Harris shenanigans https://www.salon.com/2000/12/04/voter_file/

Edit - the lawyers always win! https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article221379125.html
The backsliding conclusion to Florida’s election season created a bizarre sense of deja vu for attorneys who once again found themselves jumping into South Florida to bird-dog vote tabulations. Three elections attorneys who represented George W. Bush and Al Gore during the 2000 Florida recount have been hired again by the campaigns watching the 11th hour vote-counting, including William Scherer, who represented Bush in 2000.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

09 Nov 2018 11:00

It's Friday, and the mid-terms are over, so it might be Mueller Time ...

User avatar Robert5091

09 Nov 2018 12:46

I am forever surprised that no Australians e ever tell Americans about their systems and procedures...it's a law..you must vote..what does that accomplish..makes politicians push for the middle..extreme anything is normally ineffective..health coverage..most not all think it is decent...try and take healthcare away...it's the Australian 3rd rail..guns..gun violence...why ask if you really don't want a solution...Australia is tiny by population but maybe...just maybe..the U.S. should look for some alternative methods to problems it can't or won't solve...
Not sure what the answer is but when you have dead kids and dying sick people you should...at a minimum investigate a solution
Unchained

09 Nov 2018 14:38

That is interesting about Australia. I would just be thrilled if each state made voter registration automatic (through the DMV etc) and allowed vote by mail. Once you make voting really, really, easy, the remaining people who don't vote, are probably people that shouldn't vote. Increased turnout would cool off some of the polarization that breeds these antics from Florida.
djpbaltimore

09 Nov 2018 15:47

My main point would not be politics or religion..important to me is saving the lives of our kids..at c!ubs,school,worship and in the streets..our children are being murdered..this is not normal..America needs to act..we cannot accept this as part of everyday life..accepting murder of anybody as routine is eating our souls..our president was asked yesterday in plain language about a murder and in plain language he said he is still formulating an opinion a month later..we are numb
Unchained

09 Nov 2018 16:29

Trump taking the loss of the House well. Road testing his 2020 post election strategy is always a wise move.
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
You mean they are just now finding votes in Florida and Georgia – but the Election was on Tuesday? Let’s blame the Russians and demand an immediate apology from President Putin!
He also mentioned "fraud" in the Arizona senate race earlier this morning and called a Harvard educated black journalist stupid. Hitch, notice that white reporters were not called stupid. it was the third direct attack on a black female reporter this week. Probably a coincidence like he just happens to repeatedly call Maxine Waters stupid and the Ivy league educated Stacy Abrams unqualified. Moral along, nothing to see here.
djpbaltimore

09 Nov 2018 16:45

The Australian system is pretty poor to be honest. There are plenty of valid reasons not to vote and forcing people to do it can have negative effects. It makes it very difficult to work out the level of real political engagement, especially as they don't even separate out purposefully spoiled ballots and informal votes. If politicians can't engage and motivate the public they don't deserve their votes.
Vincenzo Nibali:

User avatar King Boonen
Administrator

09 Nov 2018 19:04

The argument could be made that voters are largely irrelevant. It’s a body count and monetization of data per Google/Facebook

https://jacobinmag.com/2018/11/midterm-elections-corporate-donations-policy
aphronesis
Veteran

09 Nov 2018 23:40

"follow the money", yep. Maybe it's time to just have an auction instead of an election. :(

User avatar Robert5091

09 Nov 2018 23:59

Siemens are n't letting go of the Iraqi contract -
http://www.rudaw.net/english/business/09112018
Siemens CEO Joe Kaeser explained the German firm is striving for more comprehensive projects in Iraq after reports that US rival General Electric (GE) won a $13-15 billion dollar infrastructure contract revamp the country's electrical grid.
There were reports of US President Donald Trump's administration pressuring Baghdad to side with the American company.

"Obviously, there has been some unusual special forces who have been intervening — maybe out of good reasons; that's not my judgment to make," said Kaeser.

Kaeser signed a memorandum of understanding with Iraq's Ministry of Electricity on October 20. The details have not been publicized and the deal was inked with former Minister Qasim al-Fahdawi who has been replaced by Luay al-Khateeb in the new government.

"We also agreed to help the people in the freed-up zones for basic healthcare, so it was very comprehensive program which the customer liked a lot," Kaeser said.

GE also signed an agreement with Baghdad in October.
He reminded the audience that Siemens employs almost 60,000 people in the United States ...

Original video interview at DW at https://www.dw.com/en/siemens-ceo-wants-a-level-playing-field-in-iraq/av-46208342

User avatar Robert5091

10 Nov 2018 01:53

So for anyone completely unfamiliar with hand to hand combat and house to house search and seizure operations..the target is often unknown ..the location and identity of the enemy is often made in fractions of a second..mistakes are made innocents are killed w devastating consequences for everybody involved. dead and alive..we have many American fighters unable to come to grips w post war life..we need to help them..at whatever the obvious cost..

As President Trump deploys US Marines from Camp Pendleton and other bases..to engage people at the Mexican border mistakes will be made..simple human mistakes..often resulting in loss of life and PTSD to varying degrees..
Trump instructions to shoot children throwing rocks is absurd..trying to escalate a conflict that doesn't exist is stupid..
I hope that the open ended undefined mission Trump has demanded is a historic first and no errors occur..
What are the chances?
What will the cost be to American society for a misguided use of lethal force?
Can we afford any of this? The before,during and after deployment?
Unchained

10 Nov 2018 03:17

Clausewitz famously said that war was politics by other means. Foucault inverted that to say that politicis was the continuation of war by other means. Time to get real and admit that political economies and economized politics (as opposed to governance) are war by other means. Civil and all forms.

Hey now. Let’s hear some more God and country from the good old boys and girls

scammed veterans out of life savings
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/09/matthew-whitaker-acting-attorney-general-wpm-scam?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/nov/10/donald-trump-midterm-elections-2020-democrats-republicans?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
aphronesis
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General