Register

Movie Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

06 Sep 2017 00:31

Raging Bull (1980) - Nothing more needs to be said.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re:

06 Sep 2017 02:46

Tricycle Rider wrote:Raging Bull (1980) - Nothing more needs to be said.

One of De Niro's best and also Scorsese's. I met Jake LaMotta once back in the nineties at a speaking engagement. Still had an iron grip and was still lucid after a long boxing career. Amazingly he is still alive at the age of 96.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

07 Sep 2017 14:14

movingtarget wrote:One of De Niro's best and also Scorsese's. I met Jake LaMotta once back in the nineties at a speaking engagement. Still had an iron grip and was still lucid after a long boxing career. Amazingly he is still alive at the age of 96.
This is only the second time I've tackled Raging Bull, it's an excellent film, but just a bit too dark for me.

Ordinary People beat out Raging Bull for the Oscar way back when... Ordinary People is also excellent and rather dark, but at least I am able to re-watch. (Would actually watch it again if Amazon Prime had it for free. )
User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re: Re:

07 Sep 2017 15:58

Tricycle Rider wrote:
movingtarget wrote:One of De Niro's best and also Scorsese's. I met Jake LaMotta once back in the nineties at a speaking engagement. Still had an iron grip and was still lucid after a long boxing career. Amazingly he is still alive at the age of 96.
This is only the second time I've tackled Raging Bull, it's an excellent film, but just a bit too dark for me.

Ordinary People beat out Raging Bull for the Oscar way back when... Ordinary People is also excellent and rather dark, but at least I am able to re-watch. (Would actually watch it again if Amazon Prime had it for free. )

Ordinary People got slagged off for getting the Oscar instead of Raging Bull but I thought it was very good just a totally different movie. Acting was superb.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Sep 2017 19:38

Anyone see Alien: Covenant? I know almost nothing about it, and found Prometheus somewhat disappointing. But I'm a big Ridley Scott fan, I love how visual his films are, and how well he tells the story with the camera. So I'm thinking of renting it.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

11 Sep 2017 02:03

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Anyone see Alien: Covenant? I know almost nothing about it, and found Prometheus somewhat disappointing. But I'm a big Ridley Scott fan, I love how visual his films are, and how well he tells the story with the camera. So I'm thinking of renting it.

It was not too bad. Better than Prometheus but the Alien films seem to fit a formula now so not many surprises. Some good set pieces. Some of the visuals were very good. Worth seeing if you like the franchise.
movingtarget
Veteran

Previous

Return to General