Register

Language discussion thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

30 Jun 2017 11:23

hrotha wrote:So I passed my Finnish entrance exam, which means I'll be learning it again after like 10 years. This is as good an excuse as any to top this thread.

Finland?! You just had to choose somewhere with an especially difficult language? I guess Iceland was your secondary pick then? :p

Good luck come winter :D
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran

Re: Re:

30 Jun 2017 11:42

Netserk wrote:
hrotha wrote:So I passed my Finnish entrance exam, which means I'll be learning it again after like 10 years. This is as good an excuse as any to top this thread.

Finland?! You just had to choose somewhere with an especially difficult language? I guess Iceland was your secondary pick then? :p

Finnish is similar to Hungarian. I'd say Hungarian would be a good secondary pick!
BullsFan22

30 Jun 2017 11:55

I'm not actually moving to Finland, although I wish I was :p
I'll be attending an official Finnish language school here in Madrid.

(As a matter of fact, Icelandic WOULD have been my second choice. Am I that predictable?)
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

30 Jun 2017 12:49

BullsFan22 wrote:
Netserk wrote:

Finnish is similar to Hungarian. I'd say Hungarian would be a good secondary pick!

Isn't Estonian also similar to Hungarian ?
movingtarget
Veteran

30 Jun 2017 13:05

Estonian and Finnish are quite similar, but while they're both related to Hungarian they are only distant relatives. Like, say, Portuguese and Norwegian.

Hungarian and Finnish language enthusiasts throw a little party whenever they come across recognizable cognates that aren't modern loans. :p
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

Re:

30 Jun 2017 20:08

hrotha wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s32_ueBvkc

I only understand a few words here and there, but damn, Finnish is so gorgeous.

I also understood one bit.

''Like a boss''
''The battle between Démare and Bouhanni for being France's best sprinter is decided: it's Coquard.'' - BBB
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

01 Jul 2017 11:36

I know one word in Finnish: Kahvi = Coffee.
Mainly know it from reading a comic book in which one of the characters is named Kahvi, we frequently joke about it.

I also know how to say "yes" in Hungarian. I'm not going to, though, coz I wouldn't know what people asked me.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

01 Jul 2017 12:05

You haven't picked up sauna or kiitos? Also the -läinen suffixes are fairly easy to pick up, I found.

In Iceland I could at least recognize some cognates from to help me get by.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

02 Jul 2017 20:06

Well, sauna means sauna. Dunno what a kiitos is, but it sounds like a kind of food.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

21 Jul 2017 10:07

RedheadDane wrote:Well, sauna means sauna. Dunno what a kiitos is, but it sounds like a kind of food.

Kiitos is simply thanks. The only finnish I've been able to pick up. :D
User avatar Kafviar

21 Jul 2017 10:38

Kafviar wrote:
RedheadDane wrote:Well, sauna means sauna. Dunno what a kiitos is, but it sounds like a kind of food.

Kiitos is simply thanks. The only finnish I've been able to pick up. :D

I have never felt the need to thank a Finn.
Or maybe I have, but I did so in English.
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

27 Jul 2017 15:22

Myöhästyneet onnittelut!

Always weird, nice and funny to hear someone picking up my obscure mother tongue. Have fun with the suffixes. Even I cant name then all.
User avatar meat puppet

05 Aug 2017 21:06

meat puppet wrote:

Myöhästyneet onnittelut!

Always weird, nice and funny to hear someone picking up my obscure mother tongue. Have fun with the suffixes. Even I cant name then all.

Kiitos paljon!

In my limited experience, the sheer number of grammatical cases isn't a problem for a non-native speaker. The real difficulty is choosing between 2-3 super common cases depending on what exactly you want your verb to convey. :p
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

06 Aug 2017 17:27

....fave Finn word....Sisu....which means guts. intestinal fortitude....always wanted to name a bike team Sisu C.C.....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Previous

Return to General