Register

Language discussion thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

31 Oct 2015 12:46

The Hitch wrote:Eh?

I take back what I said about you being fluent in English ;)

Anyway, conversation is very good but you do need a base level first imo (don't know if you have one).

BTW, do your Brazilians actually speak Spanish?

Many Brazilians and Portugese people and Italians as well, claim to speak Spanish but all they do is speak Portugese trying to use a spanish ish accent.

True.

That includes someone on this forum who frequently claimed to speak Spanish but then once tried to correct someone in a thread for getting Spanish wrong. The other person was actually right and it was a very basic grammatical issue ( I was a beginner at the time and even I knew the original poster had gotten it right)

I haven't forgotten though and though I won't name the poster, you know who you are ;)

:D :D :D
User avatar BigMac
Veteran

Re: Re:

01 Nov 2015 23:22

Red Rick wrote:
The Hitch wrote:
Red Rick wrote:
The Hitch wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Cool thread. I've been thinking about starting to learn Spanish, but i'm not entirely sure where to start, and especially about how much effort goes into it on a weekly basis if you want to do it right. I'm not too sure how easy it would be for me as i've never really actively tried to learn a language.

Interesting that you don't consider English as a second language.

Then again, in Nederland, English is more like a joint first.

But the point is, it is a 2nd language as in - 2 languages. Which is important as it makes things much easier to do.

One of the most difficult things for people about learning a language, is teaching their brain to think differently.

If you only speak 1 language for 20-30-40 years, its a bit of a shock to the brain to try and piece by piece try and convince it that there's a totally different way to speak.

But if you speak two then at least your brain understands the concept.

I would reccomend if you want to learn Spanish to start of with the pimsleur programme I recommended to 42x above. Because its boring and long, but if you complete all 45 hours you will A) have a solid base, and B) know deep down that you do have it in you to learn the language or you wouldn't have gotten through all 45 hours.

After that there are so many ways to progress from the solid base you've built up. Watching cycling streams in Spanish. Listening to Spanish radio. Taking evening classes. Going to Spain. Meet spanish people to talk with, idealy ones who want to learn English/ Dutch so they'll be bothered to help you if you help them. Etc.

First put in the hard yards though.

Anyway, I spoke to a Brazilian exchange students.

Eh?

I take back what I said about you being fluent in English ;)

Nothing will ever top my comment about Contador wiping Nibali's **** though. :D

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I do think they speak a decent bit of spanish .

I remember that. Can't find it though. Was it me that called you out?
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

04 Nov 2015 14:06

Edit, starts here, in the best male rider of 2014 thread :D
viewtopic.php?p=1602847#p1602847
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

Re: Language discussion thread

15 Nov 2015 09:19

hrotha wrote:From the Richmond 2015 WC thread:
hrotha wrote:I don't think LS is a woman. I just don't assume LS is a man, because they have never identified as such as far as I know. Neutral they exists just for this kind of situation.

phanatic wrote:'He' is the neutral, and was for centuries, until a bunch of vagrants who have no love for the English language took it upon themselves to make a deliberate assault on my culture and language and that of my ancestors. The use of the plural to indicate an individual drives me up the wall; you may as well spit in my face.

hrotha wrote:Then maybe you should take issue with "you" for the singular too. Neutral they is a perfectly organic development to fill a perceived gap in the English language, and it's also older than you seem to think.

edit: Uton sprecan ymb "they" and englisces gereordes lufe, gif þe lyst. And ymb þine yldran.

MrTea1976 wrote:This is an embarrassing post to read. English is a living, adapting language and always has been. 'He' in that sense is a social construct for a variety of purposes and is outdated, just like the use of 'mankind' to describe humanity. It is not an assault on British culture. Nothing is permanent, everything that survives changes.

Thanks for the block quotes and responses. I agree that the use of "they" seems organic or homespun, but only as a correction to the once popularized (if never popular) "he or she." Perhaps the use of the plural annoys others as well, as I see more and more people using "she" as "he" once was used. :rolleyes: The use of "she" is a striking inversion, yet, as unbelievably ballsy as that word choice is, "they" is never going to sound right to me. Maybe it's the singular and plural confusion, and maybe it's something else, like the widespread use of "they" to describe unspecified, yet known and nefarious groups -- for example, "that's how they get you," "they get you coming and going," "they're back!"
phanatic

20 Nov 2015 10:45

Can somebody explain the origins of english language?
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

Re:

20 Nov 2015 11:16

Zam_Olyas wrote:Can somebody explain the origins of english language?

Maybe a more specific question would do :D
A race that doesn't give an attacker the chance to finish it off alone is not a race anymore.

Bronze Medal at the Great Grand Tour Game 2012

WARNING: Location says Germany, but I'm Italian...
User avatar Eshnar
Administrator

20 Nov 2015 15:00

Short version though:
Originally an amalgamation of West Germanic dialects from Lower Saxony, Frisia, Schleswig and Holstein (closest continental relatives: Frisian, then Dutch and Low German, then High German), sprinkled first with not insignificant Norse influence (9th-11th centuries mostly), then subject to major French influence (first Norman, mostly from northern variants; but subsequently also standard French) which had a big impact on its spelling and vocabulary, and which also put it in a position to take much of its specialized vocabulary directly from Latin later on, despite which, and contrary to what pop culture would make you believe, it remains very much Germanic.
Last edited by hrotha on 20 Nov 2015 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

20 Nov 2015 15:48

Thank you. my questions to hrotha or Ls are never specific but they are always kind enough to understand and answer. :D :P
Testing the bounds of reality.
User avatar Zam_Olyas
Veteran

Re:

21 Nov 2015 19:19

i am a born/raised/lives in northeaset united states american english language speaker. as my user name indicates, there is a distinct possibility i may have a wee bit more than a passing interest in the origins of the language i speak - or at least the origins and evolution of definitions/usage of its words. ;)

hrotha's answer to your question is the best i have ever read. he's not kidding when writes "short, though."

in my opinion, the best (and as a bonus, highly entertaining!) long answer is bill bryson's book "the mother tongue: english and how it got that way." i recommend this book to all fellow and fellowette english language dweebs i meet.

my favorite quote from this book is:

“To be fair, English is full of booby traps for the unwary foreigner. Any language where the unassuming word fly signifies an annoying insect, a means of travel, and a critical part of a gentleman’s apparel is clearly asking to be mangled.”

full disclosure: when visiting some of the regions of the country far away from my native northeast, *i* have been the "unwary foreigner" attempting to decipher the american english in those regions! i occasionally dream of being tri-lingual. oh, to be fluent in american, british, and australian english!
etymology

26 Nov 2015 10:23

Interesting article about the Old Norse words that invaded English.

https://www.babbel.com/en/magazine/139-norse-words

Look at all those wonderfully violent words! :D
Oh yeah, and cake!
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

08 Dec 2015 17:43

David Crystal's "Cambridge Encyclopedia of the English Language" (1st ed. from 1995 I think) is also recommendable.
nicely straddles the border between scientific and popular.
sniper
Veteran

Re:

11 Dec 2015 05:24

Short version - take West Germanic dialects from the Middle Ages, add a slight Norse/Saxon influence, then smash it up with a good lashing of Latin from Roman times.
User avatar 42x16ss
Veteran

29 Feb 2016 12:07

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s32_ueBvkc

I only understand a few words here and there, but damn, Finnish is so gorgeous.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

29 Feb 2016 21:02

I think everybody who studies linguistics has at some point had some kind of fascination with Finno-Ugric languages.
User avatar Libertine Seguros
Veteran

29 Feb 2016 23:27

Yes, but never any pressing need or time to take them on fully.
aphronesis
Veteran

08 Jun 2016 11:45

"What sad news! Get well soon, my bro, love you"

That's literally what *German* player Lukas Poloski twittered to his *German* team colleague Antonio Rudiger who had to cancel his participation in the Euros due to some injury.

Slightly underwelming, Jerome Boateng twittered
"Gute Besserung, Bro"
Weak stuff, Jerome, you can do better.

Schweinsteiger? Seems he really doesn't know any English whatsoever:
"Eine ganz bittere Nachricht. Gute Besserung und komm schnell zurück!"
he twittered. That's full German. Loser.
sniper
Veteran

27 Jun 2017 11:51

So I passed my Finnish entrance exam, which means I'll be learning it again after like 10 years. This is as good an excuse as any to top this thread.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

27 Jun 2017 11:52

cool
aphronesis
Veteran

29 Jun 2017 21:05

Errr... this might come across as really stupid from someone who claims to be good at English, but I keep getting confused about this:

Choose is present. Chose is past.
Right...?
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

Re:

30 Jun 2017 10:51

RedheadDane wrote:Errr... this might come across as really stupid from someone who claims to be good at English, but I keep getting confused about this:

Choose is present. Chose is past.
Right...?

Yep.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

PreviousNext

Return to General