Log in:  

Register

The Dog Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

04 Jul 2017 17:26

...glad toby is AOK...............

not much goes through my dogs mind...............food............hope that greedy bugger is gonna give me a fair
share ....food............f*cked if i'm going out in the rain...........food etc

today it's raining i too am avoiding venturing out ............i stroke the dog and the horror on her poor face 'cos
she thinks i'm rousing her to go out

Mark L

TR looks like those greedy guys at photobucket have stolen your pics...
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,918
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24


11 Sep 2017 19:55

Bad news about Toby the Tricycle Rider, turns out that nasty tumor on his front leg isn't a fatty tumor after all, apparently it's actually Spindle Cell sarcoma. (Had him re-examined recently by a different vet.) He has an appointment with an oncology surgeon next week, have no idea if the sarcoma has spread elsewhere. Toby certainly isn't acting like it.

Pending on the findings once the surgeon goes in the choices are either removing the tumor as much as possible, or removing the entire leg. Given Toby is 9 years old I'd rather just have him put down than having to put him through the pain of an amputation and having him to adjust living without a front leg, I'm a strong believer in quality of life over quantity.

This has been such a shite summer - dad had a heart attack, mom busted her ankle by tripping over a cord and somehow ended up with cellulitis, and who knows what's going on with Toby.

Feck this summer, feck it all to hell!
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,674
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re:

12 Sep 2017 01:45

Tricycle Rider wrote:Bad news about Toby the Tricycle Rider, turns out that nasty tumor on his front leg isn't a fatty tumor after all, apparently it's actually Spindle Cell sarcoma. (Had him re-examined recently by a different vet.) He has an appointment with an oncology surgeon next week, have no idea if the sarcoma has spread elsewhere. Toby certainly isn't acting like it.

Pending on the findings once the surgeon goes in the choices are either removing the tumor as much as possible, or removing the entire leg. Given Toby is 9 years old I'd rather just have him put down than having to put him through the pain of an amputation and having him to adjust living without a front leg, I'm a strong believer in quality of life over quantity.

This has been such a shite summer - dad had a heart attack, mom busted her ankle by tripping over a cord and somehow ended up with cellulitis, and who knows what's going on with Toby.

Feck this summer, feck it all to hell!

My thoughts are with you and I'll send some positive energy your way! Let's hope that Toby's tumor can just be removed. Obviously consult with your vet, but I am aware of several older dogs who quickly adapt to being tripedal. I even had a friend who had a 10 year old dog lose its back legs, got a two wheeled cart, and within a few months was ripping around the field with the other dogs. Critters are amazing at just rolling with it. I'm sure that it depends on the individual case though.

I hope your mom and dad are doing better too!
Last edited by jmdirt on 12 Sep 2017 03:03, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,226
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2017 02:32

jmdirt wrote:My thoughts are with you and I'll send some positive energy your way! Let's hope that Toby's tumor can just be removed. Obviously consult with your vet, but I am aware of several older dogs who quickly adapt to being tripedal. I even had a friend who had a 10 year old dog lose it back legs, got a two wheeled cart, and within a few months was ripping around the field with the other dogs. Critters are amazing at just trolling with it. I'm sure that it depends on the individual case though.

I hope your mom and dad are doing better too!
I thank you for your very kind thoughts.

I'm trying to keep it together as much as I can, but it's a bit rough right now.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,674
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

14 Sep 2017 00:03

Okay, on to happier things now... currently I'm babysitting a Yorkshire Terrier and a cat, the Yorkie is ten years old and has a heart defect. So hopefully she won't drop dead before her owners return. (Crossing my fingers REAL hard. Ha!)

She's really fun though, very hyper and energetic, can't get a good piccy of her because she won't stand still. (Especially when she has one of her fetching toys in her mouth.) So this blurry pic will have to do. Image

The kitty is massive - he's the biggest and furriest cat I've ever seen. But he's really friendly too, he and the dog like to play a game of chase... think they mostly just tease each other. Image
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,674
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

14 Sep 2017 03:06

Update on the Yorkie...

Took her out for yet another walk, she seems to be sufficiently pooped out now. Problem is she not only took up the bed she now has crawled under the pillow! (Have no idea where I'm supposed to sleep now. :confused: :sad: )

Image

Image
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,674
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

19 Sep 2017 02:13

Right, so here's the latest on Toby the Tricycle Rider (cause I know you guys have just been dying for it)...

He had the tumor from his leg removed today, he'll be in the animal hospital overnight. Apparently he's being unruly (well, who wouldn't be?), so he has to be sedated.

The tumor tissue will be sent to histology next to see what the heck this stuff actually was, will not know for about a week. But in the meantime we are hoping he'll do well in the animal hospital overnight. We should be free to pick him up tomorrow afternoon.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,674
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re:

19 Sep 2017 02:36

Tricycle Rider wrote:Right, so here's the latest on Toby the Tricycle Rider (cause I know you guys have just been dying for it)...

He had the tumor from his leg removed today, he'll be in the animal hospital overnight. Apparently he's being unruly (well, who wouldn't be?), so he has to be sedated.

The tumor tissue will be sent to histology next to see what the heck this stuff actually was, will not know for about a week. But in the meantime we are hoping he'll do well in the animal hospital overnight. We should be free to pick him up tomorrow afternoon.

So far so good. Give us an update tomorrow.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,226
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Re:

20 Sep 2017 20:49

jmdirt wrote:So far so good. Give us an update tomorrow.
Toby is doing well so far, thank you for asking. :)

His leg is all in bandages and naturally he's limping, but his spirits are high... the appetite is still there and he's peeing all over his usual landmarks. Pooping is another issue though - being he's on certain pain meds he may be slightly constipated.

He has a follow-up tomorrow with his surgeon, hopefully the wound itself is healing properly.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,674
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: Re:

21 Sep 2017 12:36

Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:So far so good. Give us an update tomorrow.
Toby is doing well so far, thank you for asking. :)

His leg is all in bandages and naturally he's limping, but his spirits are high... the appetite is still there and he's peeing all over his usual landmarks. Pooping is another issue though - being he's on certain pain meds he may be slightly constipated.

He has a follow-up tomorrow with his surgeon, hopefully the wound itself is healing properly.

That's good to hear! When my old girl was in her last months she was on pain meds and wet food helped her with constipation.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,226
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Re:

22 Sep 2017 19:51

jmdirt wrote:That's good to hear! When my old girl was in her last months she was on pain meds and wet food helped her with constipation.
Thank you for the tip!

Toby is doing well so far, as well as can be expected according to the doc. I haven't seen the wound itself yet because of the bandages, apparently they had to cut the tissue down to the bone because the skin/muscle on his leg is so thin.

At least he's used to wearing the "lampshade", I had him wear it before his surgery because he had quite the flea issue and was chewing himself up. (I gave him his flea treatment way too late, I just don't like using it because the stuff is so toxic.) Once he found out he could still eat, sleep and poop with it on, though, he was a-okay with it. :)

Image
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,674
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Previous

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

Back to top