Log in:  

Register

The Dog Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

08 Jun 2016 20:22

My neighbor's Standard Poodle Ellie (I babysit her when he goes out of town) is on her last leg being she's getting a bit long in the tooth...

They did some blood tests and an ultra sound being she's constantly throwing up and has lost lots of weight in the past few weeks, so after trying some meds (which she throws up) they're now looking for cancer.

She is/was such an awesome dog (not much help at truing a wheel, regrettably), I hope my neighbor has enough sense to put her to sleep when and if the diagnosis is cancer. (I offered to go with him to the vet, this is always such an emotional time for a dog owner. Think I'll probably/definitely lose it myself.)

Image
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

22 Jun 2016 21:47

I regret having to report that Ellie, the Standard Poodle, is no longer with us... my neighbor had her put to sleep a couple of days ago.

While she may have been incompetent at truing a wheel she was such an awesome dog otherwise, I will miss her deeply. I actually cried when he had told me the news.

RIP, Ellie
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

02 Aug 2016 00:46

I'm at a point with my 16 year old Lab that I have to buck up and make a call. She has had several drops over the last year, and I kept thinking that she was going to make the decision for me...I don't think that is going to happen. I have had had dogs my entire life, but she has been the most amazing creature!

* I think that I posted about my mental struggle last fall so obviously I got some more months with my pooch!
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,226
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

02 Aug 2016 19:46

jmdirt wrote:I'm at a point with my 16 year old Lab that I have to buck up and make a call. She has had several drops over the last year, and I kept thinking that she was going to make the decision for me...I don't think that is going to happen. I have had had dogs my entire life, but she has been the most amazing creature!

* I think that I posted about my mental struggle last fall so obviously I got some more months with my pooch!
Sorry to hear, jmd. (This is always such a delicate and emotional situation with a pet owner, so I'll try not to say something stupid.)

If your doggie refuses to eat, can't get up on her own to poop and pee, and has lost that spark in her eye I'd say let her go. (Especially the last one is a good indicator for me, but only you as her owner can tell.)

I know the pain, so just know you're not alone in having to make that final decision.

16 years is a remarkable age for a large breed, btw., you must have provided her with a good life. So at least take some comfort in that. :)
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

07 Aug 2016 04:44

Right, so found a doggie in the neighborhood who seemed to have been hopelessly lost (actually, she kinda found me) -

She looked undernourished, looked like she hadn't seen water in many years either. Not to mention all the scars on her back which may have come from some sort of a harness...

Right now I've got her in my bedroom (had already taken her to PetSmart to check for a chip [she didn't have one]), she seems to be sleeping rather well at the mo'.Image

Not sure anyone wants to claim her (seeing as they had dumped her off in my 'hood), so I'll just have to take care of her myself.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re: Re:

07 Aug 2016 13:10

Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:I'm at a point with my 16 year old Lab that I have to buck up and make a call. She has had several drops over the last year, and I kept thinking that she was going to make the decision for me...I don't think that is going to happen. I have had had dogs my entire life, but she has been the most amazing creature!

* I think that I posted about my mental struggle last fall so obviously I got some more months with my pooch!
Sorry to hear, jmd. (This is always such a delicate and emotional situation with a pet owner, so I'll try not to say something stupid.)

If your doggie refuses to eat, can't get up on her own to poop and pee, and has lost that spark in her eye I'd say let her go. (Especially the last one is a good indicator for me, but only you as her owner can tell.)

I know the pain, so just know you're not alone in having to make that final decision.

16 years is a remarkable age for a large breed, btw., you must have provided her with a good life. So at least take some comfort in that. :)

She still eats (I blend wet food with water to make it easier), but she has lost the use of her rear legs so I am her legs now. Also due to the stenosis/myelopathy, she has bowel 'slips'. The toughest part is that she hasn't lost that spark in her eye. Her eye sight is poor, but when I get close to her she lights up.

My brain can logically see things, but my heart can't give up on her.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,226
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2016 13:32

jmdirt wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:I'm at a point with my 16 year old Lab that I have to buck up and make a call. She has had several drops over the last year, and I kept thinking that she was going to make the decision for me...I don't think that is going to happen. I have had had dogs my entire life, but she has been the most amazing creature!

* I think that I posted about my mental struggle last fall so obviously I got some more months with my pooch!
Sorry to hear, jmd. (This is always such a delicate and emotional situation with a pet owner, so I'll try not to say something stupid.)

If your doggie refuses to eat, can't get up on her own to poop and pee, and has lost that spark in her eye I'd say let her go. (Especially the last one is a good indicator for me, but only you as her owner can tell.)

I know the pain, so just know you're not alone in having to make that final decision.

16 years is a remarkable age for a large breed, btw., you must have provided her with a good life. So at least take some comfort in that. :)

She still eats (I blend wet food with water to make it easier), but she has lost the use of her rear legs so I am her legs now. Also due to the stenosis/myelopathy, she has bowel 'slips'. The toughest part is that she hasn't lost that spark in her eye. Her eye sight is poor, but when I get close to her she lights up.

My brain can logically see things, but my heart can't give up on her.


I had to make a similar decision a few years back. My friend asked me this: Are you keeping her alive for you or for her?
It was all I could do to submit this comment I don’t know where the inspiration came from…
User avatar krebs303
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,444
Joined: 16 Mar 2009 11:26
Location: Mexico

Re: Re:

08 Aug 2016 15:33

krebs303 wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:I'm at a point with my 16 year old Lab that I have to buck up and make a call. She has had several drops over the last year, and I kept thinking that she was going to make the decision for me...I don't think that is going to happen. I have had had dogs my entire life, but she has been the most amazing creature!

* I think that I posted about my mental struggle last fall so obviously I got some more months with my pooch!
Sorry to hear, jmd. (This is always such a delicate and emotional situation with a pet owner, so I'll try not to say something stupid.)

If your doggie refuses to eat, can't get up on her own to poop and pee, and has lost that spark in her eye I'd say let her go. (Especially the last one is a good indicator for me, but only you as her owner can tell.)

I know the pain, so just know you're not alone in having to make that final decision.

16 years is a remarkable age for a large breed, btw., you must have provided her with a good life. So at least take some comfort in that. :)

She still eats (I blend wet food with water to make it easier), but she has lost the use of her rear legs so I am her legs now. Also due to the stenosis/myelopathy, she has bowel 'slips'. The toughest part is that she hasn't lost that spark in her eye. Her eye sight is poor, but when I get close to her she lights up.

My brain can logically see things, but my heart can't give up on her.


I had to make a similar decision a few years back. My friend asked me this: Are you keeping her alive for you or for her?

I have asked myself and my wife that question many. many times.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,226
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: The Dog Thread

09 Aug 2016 20:32

RE: doggie I had found wandering the streets recently...

I checked her into the local Humane Society yesterday, and about 24hrs. later (once they had logged her and her pic into their website system) her owners had reclaimed her. (Not sure they should have been able to, seeing as she was in such piss-poor shape when I had found her.)

Anyhoo, good luck out there, Speedy (didn't know what else to call her besides "hey, girl"), hopefully your owners will value you much more this time!Image
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

15 Aug 2016 19:10

We set our beloved puppy free from her failed body
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,226
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

15 Aug 2016 19:27

jmdirt wrote:We set our beloved puppy free from her failed body
Sorry to hear because I know you and your wife are in pain, but I do think you did the right thing for your pup.

Hugs, jmdirt and wife, and good luck out there, pup! (Maybe you'll meet Ellie in the K-9 afterlife... I swear, she was a wonderful dog, it's not her fault she was born a poodle.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

Re:

15 Aug 2016 19:41

jmdirt wrote:We set our beloved puppy free from her failed body
a difficult decision
It was all I could do to submit this comment I don’t know where the inspiration came from…
User avatar krebs303
Veteran
 
Posts: 19,444
Joined: 16 Mar 2009 11:26
Location: Mexico

05 Jan 2017 12:28

Sometimes our dogs love their winter sweaters, and sometimes they don't.

This one likes his new sweater, but he hates the snow.

Image
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

16 Mar 2017 02:57

Anybody here have any experience with Chihuahuas?

Am currently babysitting a couple of Chihuahua ladies right now, one is old, the other younger. They seem to get along okay enough, but I think I should keep them separate when walking them. (Or even feeding them.)

Such a nervous little breed, they're making me nervous! (At least they like to burrow in order to keep warm, which I like to do myself when it's cold out.)
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

16 Mar 2017 05:38

Update on the Chihuahuas...

They have made themselves comfortable in my bed, and thusly, have successfully displaced me. (The human.)

I suppose this means I should just go and make myself comfortable in their dog fort. (Till they need to go out to pee and poop, and till they need to be fed, that is.)

Dogs... we love 'em anyway.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

17 Mar 2017 20:14

Another update on the Chihuahuas...

They seem to wheeze once in a while (makes me think of Team Sky or the Norwegian xc-ski team in that they need an inhaler), but their owner said this was normal for them. So I'll just go with it and won't freak out.

Anyhoo, here's a piccy - I'm trying to get them into reading Cycling News, the reaction so far has been rather mixed.

Image
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

26 May 2017 13:38

Thought for sure the memory of Tom D's poopy incident on the side of the road would eventually fade, but yesterday while on my bike ride I saw this lady with a huge, gorgeous dog who proceeded to take a dump on somebody's finely manicured lawn.

First thought was whether the lady had poopy bags and was planning on cleaning the dog's crap up, second was - oh wow, that looks just like Tommy D!

So yeah, the association between dogs pooping and Tommy D has been made, no chance will the memory of that fateful stage 16 fade now.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

03 Jul 2017 07:32

Image

OMG weighed the dog......................one hundred and two pounds....................

as to tiny chihuahuas? i know several................one the loveliest friendliest dog ever
sitting in the grass it climbs onboard cuddling up to my chest............

another...............pure evil! more than once i think 'cute dog' go to stroke.......
...........then SNAP now it strains on the leader to launch an attack upon myself

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,918
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

Re:

03 Jul 2017 20:21

ebandit wrote:Image

OMG weighed the dog......................one hundred and two pounds....................

as to tiny chihuahuas? i know several................one the loveliest friendliest dog ever
sitting in the grass it climbs onboard cuddling up to my chest............

another...............pure evil! more than once i think 'cute dog' go to stroke.......
...........then SNAP now it strains on the leader to launch an attack upon myself

Mark L
Bah, the old gal looks as gorgeous as ever, as long as she doesn't completely smother you while she's resting in your lap I think it'll be alright. :)

Toby, the trike riding dog in my avatar (which had been kindly drawn by you, Mark), has a massive tumor on his front leg now... it's been biopsied, it's supposedly just a fat tumor.

Ah well, as long as he doesn't know about it and it's not bothering him we'll just have to forego any sort of unnecessary operations.

Chihuahuas are very cute and interesting, btw., like any dog they each have their very own personalities.
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

03 Jul 2017 20:32

Back by popular demand - it's Toby, the trike rider!

Image

I can only imagine what goes through a dog's head at this particular time... he's probably like - bitch, I'm trying to take a siesta. Can't a dog get some proper rest around here?!
User avatar Tricycle Rider
Member
 
Posts: 1,673
Joined: 09 Feb 2013 11:12

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot], patricknd and 7 guests

Back to top