Register

The Dog Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

14 Oct 2017 20:12

JayKosta wrote:I'm glad he's doing OK.

Best wishes,
Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Thank you, Jay.

Things could be going better with Toby - he had his stitches removed earlier this week, but the wound is slightly infected. So he's all bandaged up again and is back on antibiotics.

We have to use lots of additional tape (plus plastic bags) to wrap his leg so it stays dry when he goes out to pee in the rain, I'm glad I found a good deal on self-adhering sports tape at Amazon. At the store they charge $4 for a 2"x5' roll, at Amazon I paid only $14 for a pack of 12 rolls! (Given Toby's other vet bills I'm trying to save a buck where ever I can.)

Just look at the selection of dazzling colors, which one should I use first? :D

User avatar Tricycle Rider

Re: Re:

14 Oct 2017 21:22

Tricycle Rider wrote:...

-----------------------
they're all good, and he'll be flashy looking!

You'll probably have some left for DIY projects!

Jay
JayKosta

14 Oct 2017 21:40

JayKosta wrote:they're all good, and he'll be flashy looking!

You'll probably have some left for DIY projects!

Jay
That's an excellent idea, Jay!

I saw a picture of somebody who had covered their white leg cast with the sports tape just to make it more colorful and interesting, I think that's a huge waste being the tape is so pricey. But I've never had a limb in a cast for weeks and weeks myself, who knows, maybe I would have done the same.

14 Oct 2017 23:22

Tricycle Rider wrote:
JayKosta wrote:I'm glad he's doing OK.

Best wishes,
Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

Thank you, Jay.

Things could be going better with Toby - he had his stitches removed earlier this week, but the wound is slightly infected. So he's all bandaged up again and is back on antibiotics.

We have to use lots of additional tape (plus plastic bags) to wrap his leg so it stays dry when he goes out to pee in the rain, I'm glad I found a good deal on self-adhering sports tape at Amazon. At the store they charge $4 for a 2"x5' roll, at Amazon I paid only $14 for a pack of 12 rolls! (Given Toby's other vet bills I'm trying to save a buck where ever I can.)

Oh, yah, Toby will be stylin' with his new tape! :lol:
Keep getting better pup!
jmdirt

15 Oct 2017 00:30

jmdirt wrote:
Keep getting better pup!
I'm peeing in the rain, still peeing in the rain
What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again
I'm happy and free - as long as my owners wrap my leg correctly
I'm peeing in the rain!

(Lyrics submitted by Toby, production aided by yours truly, TR.)

But seriously, thank you all for your well-wishes, this has been much more stressful than I'd like to admit to myself at this time.

15 Oct 2017 13:52

of course it's stressful - that's being compassionate and loving.
Our pets depend on us for their well-being, and we want to do the best for them.

stay strong,
Jay
JayKosta

15 Oct 2017 14:26

Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
Keep getting better pup!
I'm peeing in the rain, still peeing in the rain
What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again
I'm happy and free - as long as my owners wrap my leg correctly
I'm peeing in the rain!

(Lyrics submitted by Toby, production aided by yours truly, TR.)

But seriously, thank you all for your well-wishes, this has been much more stressful than I'd like to admit to myself at this time.

As you know, I am all too aware of the mental/emotional toll sick furry kids have on us. Take care of Toby, but take care of yourself too!
jmdirt

16 Oct 2017 14:25

Thanks again, guys.

Toby says hello, tomorrow he's going to the vet for a checkup. I can't wait to throw him into the bathtub, he hasn't had a bath or hair trim since his surgery. I do at least wash his stinky beard with a washcloth, but that's not the same as a luxurious bubble bath.

In addition to the tape I ordered these stylish booties for him, hopefully they'll fit halfway decently. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073F68GTS

23 Oct 2017 12:34

Hey, how is Toby and his caregiver?
jmdirt

Re:

23 Oct 2017 22:45

jmdirt wrote:Hey, how is Toby and his caregiver?
Toby is doing okay, he doesn't seem to be limping as much anymore. He has another appointment with his doc tomorrow, hopefully she'll be able to remove all of these godforsaken bandages.

His caregiver - well, I'd prefer to think I had lost my mind a long time ago.

25 Oct 2017 21:36

Update on Toby - his vet is very pleased with Toby's progress, he's off the antibiotics and off of any super expensive ointments. (Unfortunately Toby does still need to wear the bandaging, this week's color is yellow.) If all goes well Toby should be able to run free and wild as much as he wants, but only after he sees the vet next week.

PS - Toby says hello to ya'll, I took this pic in the middle of his siesta time today.

09 Nov 2017 16:19

Update on Toby (cause I know you guys are just dying for it)... he's doing very well now, however, there was a bit of a setback last week.

Because he started having some abrasions where the bandaging stopped (the wound is in an awkward place on his leg) I decided to take all the bandaging off to see if there was any more stuff under the bandage, his leg looked great. But then, while no one was home, Toby somehow got the lampshade off and proceeded to lick his leg raw.

I was just horrified, the leg was all red and stuff... now what? Should I put some bandages back on? I tried that (plus fist aid ointment) for a day or two and it didn't seem to work. So then I just started blotting the leg with an "oatmeal bath" and left any bandaging off, his leg is looking great again.There are just a few small scabs and his hair is growing back, so, yay!

Toby doesn't have an appointment with the vet till next week, I think she'll be very pleased. And I feel like I can finally breathe again, the lampshade has to stay on till everything is perfectly healed, though. You certainly can't leave Toby to his own devices, that silly animal.

Re:

09 Nov 2017 18:38

Tricycle Rider wrote:Update on Toby (cause I know you guys are just dying for it)... he's doing very well now, however, there was a bit of a setback last week.

Because he started having some abrasions where the bandaging stopped (the wound is in an awkward place on his leg) I decided to take all the bandaging off to see if there was any more stuff under the bandage, his leg looked great. But then, while no one was home, Toby somehow got the lampshade off and proceeded to lick his leg raw.

I was just horrified, the leg was all red and stuff... now what? Should I put some bandages back on? I tried that (plus fist aid ointment) for a day or two and it didn't seem to work. So then I just started blotting the leg with an "oatmeal bath" and left any bandaging off, his leg is looking great again.There are just a few small scabs and his hair is growing back, so, yay!

Toby doesn't have an appointment with the vet till next week, I think she'll be very pleased. And I feel like I can finally breathe again, the lampshade has to stay on till everything is perfectly healed, though. You certainly can't leave Toby to his own devices, that silly animal.

Good news!

I've seen some dogs just lick enough to clean the area, and other dogs lick the wound so much they make it worse.
jmdirt

09 Nov 2017 19:30

jmdirt wrote:Good news!

I've seen some dogs just lick enough to clean the area, and other dogs lick the wound so much they make it worse.
Yep, the latter is Toby for ya.

The wound itself is actually on the back of his leg (thankfully he wasn't able to get to it during his licking session), the little scabs you see on the front part in the picture are all Toby's work.

He managed to break the lampshade he got from the vet, so I had to get him another one. The thing wasn't cheap, it was $20 for a stupid piece of plastic. They have even more expensive ones that are more like inflatable neck rests, they cost almost $40!

At least this 'shade is purple and more durable, Toby is getting more and more glamorous with age.

18 Nov 2017 14:46

Latest update on the Tobster...

The vet is indeed very happy with the progress of the leg, Toby no longer has to wear a bandage. (I'm glad she didn't bitch me out for removing it a while back). However, dog has some kind of a bumpy, itchy rash or skin infection, so Toby is back on antibiotics for that.

We no longer have to visit the oncology people (yay!), glad they were able to patch the animal up. We are not to bathe him and Toby still has to wear the lampshade till everything is perfectly healed (he just can't leave the leg alone), and if the rash doesn't clear up or comes back we'll have to see a vet dermatologist. It might be some kind of an allergy, which, well, it's hard enough to isolate an allergy with humans let alone an animal who can't talk.

Anyhoo, Toby is almost 100% now, I'm glad the oncology people knew what they were doing. (I met a lady with a very cute little dog in the waiting room, her poor pup had had breast cancer, which the vet was able to remove. It's amazing what vets can do nowadays, and thank goodness for that.)

Re:

18 Nov 2017 15:12

Tricycle Rider wrote:Latest update on the Tobster...

The vet is indeed very happy with the progress of the leg, Toby no longer has to wear a bandage. (I'm glad she didn't bitch me out for removing it a while back). However, dog has some kind of a bumpy, itchy rash or skin infection, so Toby is back on antibiotics for that.

We no longer have to visit the oncology people (yay!), glad they were able to patch the animal up. We are not to bathe him and Toby still has to wear the lampshade till everything is perfectly healed (he just can't leave the leg alone), and if the rash doesn't clear up or comes back we'll have to see a vet dermatologist. It might be some kind of an allergy, which, well, it's hard enough to isolate an allergy with humans let alone an animal who can't talk.

Anyhoo, Toby is almost 100% now, I'm glad the oncology people knew what they were doing. (I met a lady with a very cute little dog in the waiting room, her poor pup had had breast cancer, which the vet was able to remove. It's amazing what vets can do nowadays, and thank goodness for that.)

Good new! I wonder if the skin issue is a reaction to the bandages? He is going to be crazy excited when he finally gets rid of the lampshade...you too probably!
jmdirt

18 Nov 2017 15:31

jmdirt wrote:Good new! I wonder if the skin issue is a reaction to the bandages? He is going to be crazy excited when he finally gets rid of the lampshade...you too probably!
It could have been the bandages, it could be food, who knows what Toby gets all into. But I'll definitely be happy once he gets rid of the lampshade, he keeps on running into things with it, including my legs. Ouch! It's actually pretty funny, you can here him coming from a mile away.

Here's a happier picture I just took... the lampshade is obviously still there and I put a shirt on him because it's freezing outside. (Not that he really needs it, but what the heck.) The t-shirt was a gift from my brother from Texas, I have no idea how he thought I would fit into it. But at least it sort of halfway fits Toby, just for today he'll be a Longhorn mascot.

Thanks again for your kind thoughts, it's been a rather rough road lately, but things are looking up now. :)

Yesterday 19:26

Right, I suppose this is what happens when you don't have kids - you spoil your pets rotten! Case in point...

Now that Toby is better and it's getting cold outside I decided to alter his winter sweater... the antlers on the hoodie looked too holiday-like (and frankly kinda stupid), so I cut the hoodie off and knitted a turtleneck-like addition to it.

Not sure the animal appreciates my work, but at least I'm making sure he keeps up that glamorous look he's acquired recently. (And yes, here he is just modeling his new sweater, the lampshade went back on right after I took the sweater off.)

Before:

After: :cool:

Previous

Return to General