Register

The Dog Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 Dec 2017 23:47

It wasn't your comments about Toby's responses I was responding to, it was Froze's pseudoscience "Dogs can smell, I mean this literally, they can smell whether or not a person is of bad moral character". It is no disrespect to Toby to call that as BS.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

13 Dec 2017 00:25

And having said that, and I must reiterate - please don't ever approach K9-Units, dog lovers, don't even try to give them the finest of Milkbones.

If need be just give the dog treats to the K9 officer in charge, s/he'll have to decide whether it's of any good to the dog in question.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

15 Dec 2017 03:45

I've been around dogs for a long time and I can give you instances of when my dogs sensed something wasn't right and went into attack mode, and the dogs were right. Even us humans have the ability to read body language and can sense when a person might have bad intentions. I have feeling that Armchair cyclist has never owned a dog, but of course he'll come back with some sort of BS that he has one and it never shows that kind in instinct...which I know will be BS. Regardless Armchair even called the website I gave for him to read and understand BS as well...either that or he never took the time to read it which is probably the case, as they say, ignorance is bliss.
froze

15 Dec 2017 07:44

Yeah, the blog of a pet food company is clarly a highly authoritattive scientific source.

Stop making false assumptions and assertions about other people, and go and read a dictionary to learn the meaning of the word 'literally'.

I am glad to hear that you are experiencing what you consider to be bliss.
User avatar Armchair cyclist

15 Dec 2017 17:31

OK, this is a thread for celebrating our beloved dogs, there are plenty of other threads for arguing and name calling.
jmdirt

Re:

16 Dec 2017 17:15

jmdirt wrote:OK, this is a thread for celebrating our beloved dogs, there are plenty of other threads for arguing and name calling.
Agreed, jmdirt. And on that note...

Happy Holidays to you all from Toby and me!

Toby loves the xmas tree not because it's pretty and because it smells nice, but because I hang gingerbread cookies on it as decoration and for the scent. He usually gets a few as a treat, but if I hung all of them low enough to where he can get to them he would just help himself and eat them all in one sitting.

The life of a dog - it's just so hard.

Re: Re:

16 Dec 2017 18:05

Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:OK, this is a thread for celebrating our beloved dogs, there are plenty of other threads for arguing and name calling.
Agreed, jmdirt. And on that note...

Happy Holidays to you all from Toby and me!

Toby loves the xmas tree not because it's pretty and because it smells nice, but because I hang gingerbread cookies on it as decoration and for the scent. He usually gets a few as a treat, but if I hung all of them low enough to where he can get to them he would just help himself and eat them all in one sitting.

The life of a dog - it's just so hard.

Great pic! I had a male puppy in the '80s who decided that the xmas tree needed to be marked like all other trees. I saw him just as he started and yelled at him, which made him start barking at whatever I was yelling at so he didn't actually mark the tree. We had a reminder conversation about inside bathroom use and we were good.
jmdirt

16 Dec 2017 19:08

jmdirt wrote:Great pic! I had a male puppy in the '80s who decided that the xmas tree needed to be marked like all other trees. I saw him just as he started and yelled at him, which made him start barking at whatever I was yelling at so he didn't actually mark the tree. We had a reminder conversation about inside bathroom use and we were good.
Your whole post made me lol, jmd!

None of my family's past dogs have tried to pee on the xmas tree, might be because we've always hung homemade gingerbread cookies on them. So I can only guess it's because dogs just really don't want to pee on their future food.

22 Dec 2017 05:14

Just in time for the holidays here's the latest on Toby...

His rash is once again full-blown, so for xmas he got one last trip to the vet for this year earlier today, his gifts included some antibiotics, a shot of a long-lasting antihistamine, some ear drops because one of his ears is inflamed as well, plus some pretty pricey medicated dog shampoo.

On the plus side he also got a cushiony inflatable dog collar because he just can't quit chewing on himself, the lampshade was beginning to give him abrasions around the neck.

So yeah, after today's trip and a bath with his new shampoo he's pretty pooped out, at least he looks comfortable. Sweet dreams, Tobes.

PS - The trip to the vet itself wasn't too bad, Toby did object to having a thermometer shoved up his butt, though.

Re:

22 Dec 2017 16:18

Tricycle Rider wrote:Just in time for the holidays here's the latest on Toby...

His rash is once again full-blown, so for xmas he got one last trip to the vet for this year earlier today, his gifts included some antibiotics, a shot of a long-lasting antihistamine, some ear drops because one of his ears is inflamed as well, plus some pretty pricey medicated dog shampoo.

On the plus side he also got a cushiony inflatable dog collar because he just can't quit chewing on himself, the lampshade was beginning to give him abrasions around the neck.

So yeah, after today's trip and a bath with his new shampoo he's pretty pooped out, at least he looks comfortable. Sweet dreams, Tobes.

PS - The trip to the vet itself wasn't too bad, Toby did object to having a thermometer shoved up his butt, though.

I wonder what the heck is causing the rash? Hopefully this new round of treatment will clear it!
jmdirt

24 Dec 2017 14:01

jmdirt wrote:I wonder what the heck is causing the rash? Hopefully this new round of treatment will clear it!
The rash is a mystery. I didn't take him to an actual dermatologist this time, just the regular vet. The meds have kicked in and he's doing much better, but I dread once he's off the meds the rash will come back.

Ah well, I'll worry about that later, for now he's looking and feeling much better. (I had to do some vacuuming, he's somewhere under that pile of toys of his that I had to pick up off the floor. Some of those toys, in fact, had to be sewn up [DIY project :lol: ], I don't want to throw them out because they're his fave.)

Merry Christmas, jmd!

29 Dec 2017 22:56

Have two dogs..one w longer hair.. one w a pretty typical short hair coat..she is a boxer mix.. I have been regularly bringing the dogs to run and hike a bit in the semi desert mountains in San Diego and Baja..
After each of our last half dozen outings both dogs are coming back w ticks and fleas despite using a tablet to prevent these monsters.. the tablets..are supposed to be effective for @90 days for sure and up to 6 months.. I used Frontline and @40 dollar prescription collar before w what I consider pretty limited success..
If anyone has some proven results I love the information..
As for now.. they get combed and flea\tick shampoo treatment after every outing.. kind of a hassle but it is the cost of having fun up to now..
Unchained

Re:

29 Dec 2017 23:14

Unchained wrote:Have two dogs..one w longer hair.. one w a pretty typical short hair coat..she is a boxer mix.. I have been regularly bringing the dogs to run and hike a bit in the semi desert mountains in San Diego and Baja..
After each of our last half dozen outings both dogs are coming back w ticks and fleas despite using a tablet to prevent these monsters.. the tablets..are supposed to be effective for @90 days for sure and up to 6 months.. I used Frontline and @40 dollar prescription collar before w what I consider pretty limited success..
As for now.. they get combed and flea\tick shampoo treatment after every outing.. kind of a hassle but it is the cost of having fun up to now..
Your dogs sound great! Can I see some pictures, pretty please?

29 Dec 2017 23:57

I will take a glamour shot or two and post them.. I will bathe both beasts before any paparazzi exposure..
Unchained

31 Dec 2017 21:13

While Unchained is getting busy taking some sexy pictures of his dogs here's another one of Toby, his rash is all gone. Am supposed to call the vet before I run out of antibiotics, so far so good.

You never can tame this beast - mom gave him this chewable dog treat that Toby has always been known to have buried in the yard, nothing has changed. He's still burying it and getting all dirty in the process, and this after I had just bathed him in his new luxurious, medicated dog shampoo only a couple of days ago!

Happy New Year, fellow dog (or any animal) lovers!

Re:

03 Jan 2018 17:00

Unchained wrote:Have two dogs..one w longer hair.. one w a pretty typical short hair coat..she is a boxer mix.. I have been regularly bringing the dogs to run and hike a bit in the semi desert mountains in San Diego and Baja..

We don't have flea issues here, but I had good luck with Frontline topical for ticks. I avoided systemic treatments. I have some in-laws in the SD/Carlsbad area so I'll ask what they use on their pooches.
jmdirt

05 Jan 2018 03:34

I've been using Advantage II (topical) on Toby for several years now, but given his various skin issues as of late I'm not sure whether the med is doing more harm than good.

Still, Toby's latest vet assures me I should keep on using it as usual. (Eh, if nothing else at least the dog isn't suffering of fleas and ticks, right? :confused: )

11 Feb 2018 15:57

Unchained, I forgot to tell you that my in-laws don't use anything because they don't want systemic for the dogs or topical for the kids touching the dogs. They take their dogs out everyday, but the area they go to is a pretty manicured "park", and I bet the city sprays for fleas (all "pests").
jmdirt

12 Feb 2018 13:13

Speaking of flea and tick topical treatments... I've mentioned I don't like using them because they are straight up pesticides. Toby has had some fleas in the past (or something, I've never actually seen any fleas on him), but never any ticks. So I'm thinking of switching his treatments to something hopefully a little milder, I've been using K9 Advantix II, which kills just about everything under the sun. (Including mosquitoes, lice, and biting flies.) So next time I'm buying treatments I'll just switch back to fleas only, I'm figuring the fewer pesticides the better.

On a different note - Toby has been getting a bath once a week now with this stuff, for his particular skin issues it seems to be working very well. His rash hasn't come back (knock on wood), and the 6-week antihistamine injection he got back in December should have worn off by now. So more frequent baths with an antiseptic shampoo seems to be doing the trick for this pup. (Again, knock on wood.)

Re:

12 Feb 2018 13:36

Tricycle Rider wrote:Speaking of flea and tick topical treatments... I've mentioned I don't like using them because they are straight up pesticides. Toby has had some fleas in the past (or something, I've never actually seen any fleas on him), but never any ticks. So I'm thinking of switching his treatments to something hopefully a little milder, I've been using K9 Advantix II, which kills just about everything under the sun. (Including mosquitoes, lice, and biting flies.) So next time I'm buying treatments I'll just switch back to fleas only, I'm figuring the fewer pesticides the better.

On a different note - Toby has been getting a bath once a week now with this stuff, for his particular skin issues it seems to be working very well. His rash hasn't come back (knock on wood), and the 6-week antihistamine injection he got back in December should have worn off by now. So more frequent baths with an antiseptic shampoo seems to be doing the trick for this pup. (Again, knock on wood.)

WOOHOO! Good news Toby! :D
jmdirt

PreviousNext

Return to General