Register

The Dog Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

23 Jun 2018 13:39

Glad to hear the Toby is feeling better.
Jay
JayKosta

23 Jun 2018 15:30

Great to hear!
jmdirt

Re:

23 Jun 2018 16:38

Zama_Olyas wrote:I don't like dogs, i don't like to be near them as i have been bitten thrice....the first time was when i was 4 yrs old. When they bit i never did anything to them, they just bit me.

I have had almost the exact opposite experience..! I have found you can get a strange, strong sense of something bigger... much bigger than us from contact with animals... dogs included..
I would be so bold as to suggest that you befriend someone with an over the top friendly, never aggressive dog..
You will come away with much, much more than you can imagine..
As a cyclist, who used to train many miles per week with headphones in my ears.. I was attacked and bitten not once but twice!! By an animal that was simply stimulated by chasing and catching bicycles... both times after the dog nabbed and knocked me from my bike.. the dogs stuck around to try and continue to "play" w me!!! The dogs felt like chasing and chewing on my ankle or calf was a game..it came out of nowhere and the loud music playing in my ears..made the dog knock downs a complete... unpleasant surprise!!
Both owners assisted me after crashing... once I suffered a broken collar bone,bent wheel and handlebars...
Call me dumb or dense but I still love dogs....?
* This maybe a complete false premise... but while I have been in the company of many children..they look at my positive attitude and interaction with dogs and always it has led to a hesitant to flat out scared child at least accepting some interaction and less fear of dogs... can't help but think it may work for adults also....?
Unchained

Re:

23 Jun 2018 22:17

JayKosta wrote:Glad to hear the Toby is feeling better.
Jay

jmdirt wrote:Great to hear!
Thank you, guys.

There will probably always be a little bump there (vet called it granuloma), just because that crap had been in there for so long. I'm glad he showed me what to look for, I would have never imagined grass seed could get stuck like that.

Anyhoo, Toby is a happy camper again, once the fur grows back we'll just pretend this never happened. :)
User avatar Tricycle Rider

12 Jul 2018 18:16

The latest update on the Tobster...

His paw is perfectly healed now, even the granuloma has disappeared. However, being it will be in the 90s F here all week he will be needing a haircut...

As usual he's acting like he's facing the guillotine (can't really blame him, I mean, it is a stationary bike he will be tied to), but he will be getting that haircut one way or another.

Buckle up, pupster, you ARE getting that haircut!

15 Jul 2018 16:45

great that tobes is fighting fit and looking so cute..............

I love wor 'lil pip she's so full of fun...........sometimes too full of fun

returning home she's had great fun pulling chunks out of the sofa

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

Re:

16 Jul 2018 20:00

ebandit wrote:Image

great that tobes is fighting fit and looking so cute..............

I love wor 'lil pip she's so full of fun...........sometimes too full of fun

returning home she's had great fun pulling chunks out of the sofa

Mark L
Hi ya, Pip,

Each day you're looking more and more like a terrier (well, the head at least), I like that in a lady.

You're still a pup, but eventually you'll learn that tearing up your owner's furniture is probably not the best of ideas. But in the meantime...

Enjoy your puppyhood, and many paw-fives,

The Tobster

PS - I'm just chillin' it here by the A/C vent right now, an old dog like me just can't take this kind of outdoor heat (100F) anymore. Image

03 Nov 2018 19:00

made dog doodle my new avatar...............

tobes...pip says thanks! she loves being a ''terrible terrier' digging up the carpet and
other mischief

still......she's the 'best dog...ever!'

...just chillin'
User avatar ebandit

Re: The Dog Thread

05 Nov 2018 22:20

Good to see Tobes coming along well.
Hi five, errr paw, to Pips.

My newest project, weekend dog-sitting this 2-YO (when I got hooked up with him) pommie named Turks (now 3-YO). When I got him, he would not walk on walks. Almost had to be drug by the leash.

Before long he was runnin me around.
And running into me (this one at 1/4 speed)...
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

16 Nov 2018 22:36

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Good to see Tobes coming along well.
Hi five, errr paw, to Pips.

My newest project, weekend dog-sitting this 2-YO (when I got hooked up with him) pommie named Turks (now 3-YO). When I got him, he would not walk on walks. Almost had to be drug by the leash.

Before long he was runnin me around.
And running into me (this one at 1/4 speed)...
Not exactly aero with all that hair, is he?

But that's aight, we'll love him anyway. :cool:

Re:

16 Nov 2018 22:43

ebandit wrote:made dog doodle my new avatar...............

tobes...pip says thanks! she loves being a ''terrible terrier' digging up the carpet and
other mischief

still......she's the 'best dog...ever!'

...just chillin'
Awesome!

Glad you're enjoying the new dog and are able to provide a good home for her! :cool:

16 Nov 2018 23:52

Tricycle Rider wrote:Not exactly aero with all that hair, is he?

But that's aight, we'll love him anyway. :cool:

True, and YES. One neighbor watching one of our walks asked if that was a Tribble. :lol:
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

17 Nov 2018 05:04

I've been looking at the local shelters to see if I'm ready to get a dog again but one hasn't hooked me yet. I met a dog that was trained by an inmate (Inmate Dog Alliance Program of Idaho), but there was no vibe with that pooch.
jmdirt

18 Nov 2018 01:04

my first pooch was a shelter dog. sickliest thing I ever saw (full of open sores). but we connected right off. best doggo ever.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

18 Nov 2018 14:16

jmdirt wrote:I've been looking at the local shelters to see if I'm ready to get a dog again but one hasn't hooked me yet. I met a dog that was trained by an inmate (Inmate Dog Alliance Program of Idaho), but there was no vibe with that pooch.
I've heard of those prisoner-trained pooches, I'm sure to those incarcerated they mean a lot.

Hopefully you'll find a pooch you'll connect with.

on3m@n@rmy wrote:my first pooch was a shelter dog. sickliest thing I ever saw (full of open sores). but we connected right off. best doggo ever.
That's so cool you gave that pooch a home, even though superficially s/he may not have been the most desirable.

If I ever get another dog after Toby it'll be shelter dog, and on that note...

I recently spoke to someone who seemed a total dog lover, she went looking to the local shelter because she wanted to adopt another dog. But she insisted it be a Dachshund, the shelter didn't have one, so she ended up getting none and was looking into paying a lot of money for a purebred from a Dachshund breeder instead.

I don't get that, the attachment some dog owners have to a specific breed. I know each dog has their own personality, but if you're willing to adopt a pooch from the shelter to begin with I would think you would be a bit more flexible.

Re: Re:

18 Nov 2018 16:40

Tricycle Rider wrote:
jmdirt wrote:I've been looking at the local shelters to see if I'm ready to get a dog again but one hasn't hooked me yet. I met a dog that was trained by an inmate (Inmate Dog Alliance Program of Idaho), but there was no vibe with that pooch.
I've heard of those prisoner-trained pooches, I'm sure to those incarcerated they mean a lot.

Hopefully you'll find a pooch you'll connect with.

on3m@n@rmy wrote:my first pooch was a shelter dog. sickliest thing I ever saw (full of open sores). but we connected right off. best doggo ever.
That's so cool you gave that pooch a home, even though superficially s/he may not have been the most desirable.

If I ever get another dog after Toby it'll be shelter dog, and on that note...

I recently spoke to someone who seemed a total dog lover, she went looking to the local shelter because she wanted to adopt another dog. But she insisted it be a Dachshund, the shelter didn't have one, so she ended up getting none and was looking into paying a lot of money for a purebred from a Dachshund breeder instead.

I don't get that, the attachment some dog owners have to a specific breed. I know each dog has their own personality, but if you're willing to adopt a pooch from the shelter to begin with I would think you would be a bit more flexible.

Here's my first doggo, Teddo (about 9-10 YO here and showing signs of greybeard, and no sores). Got him when he was about age 3 (what the dog pound ppl said). They also said he was a farm dog who the original owners sent to the dog pound (where they euthanize after about one week captivity) because the dog had a habit of getting into chicken coups. Probably out of hunger, because judging by the sores he was not well taken care of. He was obviously a mutt, and I'm not sure exactly what mix - I'm guessing German shorthair (or lab) and German Shepherd. But he ended up having a good life living to age 17, which would be unusual for any kind of lab breed.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: Re:

18 Nov 2018 17:42

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Here's my first doggo, Teddo (about 9-10 YO here and showing signs of greybeard, and no sores). Got him when he was about age 3 (what the dog pound ppl said). They also said he was a farm dog who the original owners sent to the dog pound (where they euthanize after about one week captivity) because the dog had a habit of getting into chicken coups. Probably out of hunger, because judging by the sores he was not well taken care of. He was obviously a mutt, and I'm not sure exactly what mix - I'm guessing German shorthair (or lab) and German Shepherd. But he ended up having a good life living to age 17, which would be unusual for any kind of lab breed.
That's a perfectly gorgeous, healthy-looking dog, glad you gave him a second chance and a good life.

Re:

18 Nov 2018 18:03

All of my dogs have been pound pooches. They are all great, but my last one was absolutely amazing!
jmdirt

18 Nov 2018 19:14

It's been a while since Toby has made a grand appearance, so without any further ado...

Well, here he is again, resting on his recliner like usual.

I'm actually a bit concerned after having discovered yet another growth on his (overweight) body while giving him a bath, this time it's on his tummy right next to his pee-pee. I'll have the vet examine it at Toby's next appointment, right now he's still getting those anti-histamine shots every couple of months due to an unknown allergy.

Ageing dogs - they will not just break the bank, they will also break your heart. :cry:

Previous

Return to General