Register

AFL Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

09 Jul 2011 05:12

Comon Timmy, you must be kidding...

You love Aussie Football & Cycling, even put a great picture in your last post... and then come up with the WC. That can´t be real. The WC was sooo dirty and laughable that i havn´t watched a single soccer game since the Final between Netherlands and Spain.
Every second game was decided by the umpires (or by the Chinese Mafia, or by the Fifa itself; take whatever you want, you´ll hit the jackpot), rules are from 100 years ago, players pretend being injured all the time & shaving time. Every 3rd game is a tie. Games are dull, scoring is low and by pure chance.
What´s likeable about soccer? Nothing. And that says somebody (me :p) who played the game the whole youth (i didn´t knew all the other great ballgames back then).
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

09 Jul 2011 05:13

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:

@acf he is still young, he has a might leap and excellent work rate.

I dislike rugby a lot :p

Yes, but the best kicks in the AFL such as guys like Buckley were good kicks from the start of their careers. The thing is with the AFL drafting of young players is that they are drafting athletes and not necessarily footballers if you know what I mean.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

09 Jul 2011 06:05

The few times I've seen AFL I really liked it. Maybe better than Rugby.

When I was about 18 (circa 1981) I saw some sort of video showing sports from around the world. They had all kinds of things on there like those Foxy lists. The most interesting to me were Lacrosse, which has grown quite a bit in the USA, and AFL. Unfortunately, you have to really seek it out here on this side of the pond to see it.

They are showing more Rugby now on Universal Sports in the US, and now that I'm understanding the rules more, like it quite a bit. Hopefully they'll pick up some AFL.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

09 Jul 2011 06:14

craig1985 wrote:I'm more of a rugby league fan, but AFL is a sport best watched live at the ground. I was the MCG last year for Hawthorn and Essendon, it was a cold night, but I did have a lot of fun at the game.

I'm also more of a league fan, but agree that AFL is best watched live at the ground.

After last week's effort, I'm ashamed to admit that I am a Swans supporter. There are 8 year olds that can kick better than them.
thrawn

09 Jul 2011 07:57

NRL rules. Mighty Knights. I go for ST Kilda and Swans in AFL though they are both sucking this year and i am not a big fan of it.
I'd agree with you but then we'd both be wrong

The Grand Boucle wasn't just Europe's for the taking.

Quote:VAE
"Has Porte ever dropped Nibali in any mountain?"
D&C "He will soon..."
greenedge
Veteran

09 Jul 2011 09:37

I dont know all the rules but its sport so i still watched it sometimes.
zamasailo

09 Jul 2011 09:58

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:Comon Timmy, you must be kidding...

You love Aussie Football & Cycling, even put a great picture in your last post... and then come up with the WC. That can´t be real. The WC was sooo dirty and laughable that i havn´t watched a single soccer game since the Final between Netherlands and Spain.
Every second game was decided by the umpires (or by the Chinese Mafia, or by the Fifa itself; take whatever you want, you´ll hit the jackpot), rules are from 100 years ago, players pretend being injured all the time & shaving time. Every 3rd game is a tie. Games are dull, scoring is low and by pure chance.
What´s likeable about soccer? Nothing. And that says somebody (me :p) who played the game the whole youth (i didn´t knew all the other great ballgames back then).

I didn't think this last world cup was great either, and I agree that the refs were soo bad. I was p!ssed of on countless occasions. They ruined too many games.

But I also have played soccer almost my whole life, and I love it.
I love a 0-0 game, as long as the football on display is quality.

Like I said euro is probably a better quality tournament. Love it.

I rarely don't enjoy myself watching soccer. I very much enjoy the league from your homeland also :)

I dislike when people call soccer boring because of the low scores, there is a lot more to it that goals.

---
Regarding footy rules, once you understand them, the sport is more enjoyable it really is a quality sport, especially if you like the physical aspect in it.

@acf, i know, but nic is more inconsistent then a bad kick.
anyway I have seen such bad kicking across the AFL this year.
I feel more confident seeing a player on the run then with a set shot.

One of the highest goal kickers this year doesn't have a great record (in fact he has missed some shockers in recent weeks also).. and he plays for your team :p

But I agree that nic is probably one of the most talented AFL players, athletic wise.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

09 Jul 2011 10:19

greenedge wrote:NRL rules. Mighty Knights. I go for ST Kilda and Swans in AFL though they are both sucking this year and i am not a big fan of it.

Awesome......Newcastle Knights in the NRL (Rugby League for those who don't know) and the Sydney Swans in the AFL (Aussie Rules football). Both aren't doing that bad...around 6th for both so far....
The computer is smarter than me Bjarne, I no need to understand computer it need understand me - Carlos Sastre in Overcoming
RIP - Swordsman
RIP - Craig1985

Wallace wrote:In Lance's prime, you could take all the drugs you wanted, whenever you wanted. Ah, those were the days... If you put Contador on the program Lance was on in his prime, it would be like watching a bicycle duct-taped to the space shuttle go up the alps. You have to factor all that in when figuring out which one is the most talented
User avatar El Imbatido

09 Jul 2011 12:26

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:I didn't think this last world cup was great either, and I agree that the refs were soo bad. I was p!ssed of on countless occasions. They ruined too many games.

But I also have played soccer almost my whole life, and I love it.
I love a 0-0 game, as long as the football on display is quality.

Like I said euro is probably a better quality tournament. Love it.

I rarely don't enjoy myself watching soccer. I very much enjoy the league from your homeland also

I dislike when people call soccer boring because of the low scores, there is a lot more to it that goals.

---
Regarding footy rules, once you understand them, the sport is more enjoyable it really is a quality sport, especially if you like the physical aspect in it.

@acf, i know, but nic is more inconsistent then a bad kick.
anyway I have seen such bad kicking across the AFL this year.
I feel more confident seeing a player on the run then with a set shot.

One of the highest goal kickers this year doesn't have a great record (in fact he has missed some shockers in recent weeks also).. and he plays for your team

But I agree that nic is probably one of the most talented AFL players, athletic wise.

But you are born in Australia? I tought they don´t have too much soccer?! And i think pipo have the right to call it soccer. It´s the only game i know where men act like pu$$ies. Whining and crying all the time when actually nothing happened. ;) Cyclists step on the bike injured, real Ballplayers play besides being hurt, even woman in your local supermarket work with headaches... :p

Ok, serious: The problem with soccer starts (like everywhere) from the top. Grumpy super corrupt old men ruling (respectively don´t rule) the game. My theory is: They don´t use Instant replay, modern offside, etc. rules to keep the game as easy to be maniplulate as it can be.

If you all pipo think UCI is super corrupt, just search, read and know about Andrew Jennings. The UCI is nothing compared to the sick world of Fifa and IOC. Really this game is a hell waste of time.

Don´t know much about Aussie Rules football history, but from what i saw (all the way back to the mid 80s), i enjoyed it. Unluckily in germany there is 75% soccer on TV, no more Aussie rules, but plenty of real real football in winter in Cable-TV. Thanks god... ;)

About playing the game (soccer) itself: I can compare. Played soccer in youth, then Baseball and Football (only in the backyard tough), Billards, Badiminton, Table Tennis, Tennis. All those games are more fun then soccer. Even poker is more thrilling... :D

After all: You are lucky to be in Australia, so you can follow some good sports. Here in germany it´s basically only soccer after cycling has ben destroyed by our hypocrite media.
Veteran

09 Jul 2011 16:44

Football or Soccer as ppl likes to call it is amazing. IF you know the game.it is beautiful with passes and players movement.
zamasailo

09 Jul 2011 21:32

IF you mean me, yes i DO know the game. I played organized soccer under a wonderful tactical intelligent coach for 9 years (until i moved to organized baseball). But that fact doesn´t change the reality that soccer is pretty boring. Cycling is also boring to do (or better say painful ;)), but great to watch. Something soccer is missing too.

But my true love is the real real Football. Unluckily i wasn´t tall enough, so i could play it only in the backyard. The greatest game invented by mankind. And Aussie Rules comes close...
Veteran

09 Jul 2011 21:40

auscyclefan94 wrote:AFL is a free flowing, fast, hard, high scoring game. Great game.

sorry, sunshine, but it's so pc and lame now it's not funny. No where near as flowing as it used to be, nor hard. See Dippa's effort in a grand final with a punctured lung and broken ribs. Current bunch are fairies by comparison. the AFL ruined the Game - ripped it's heart out for money. Granted, the same can be said of football...

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:nah I love 'soccer' and I grew up in an AFL infleunced state.

for me it is easily the best football code in the world.

Nothing, nothing at all, not the tour, nor the giro can compare to the awesomeness that is the world cup.. I also love euro, because for a long time it has been of higher quality then the wc.

I've not done a world cup yet, but for pure atmosphere there is nothing like top level Football. I've done Cup finals and derbies here in the UK as well as UEFA Cup and Champions League matches. Awesome stuff. The AFL grand final and ANZAC day matches pale in comparison...
I'd even rate being on the Muur last April as better.

greenedge wrote:NRL rules.

oh come on... run, tackle, run, tackle, run, tackle, kick... repeat ad nauseum

Cool Aussie Rules vid from Foxxy. Josh Fraser mark is brilliant.
The thing about Aussie Rules is that IF it is such a great game, then why isn't it played everywhere around the planet by now? It's had long enough, yet struggles outside of the four states that truly play it.
But you do have to love a game that gives you a point for missing the open goal. ;)

As for a 0-0 football match being dull or uninteresting, that's rubbish. The one thing about football is that even a minnow can pinch the win. The suspense of when and if someone will score is great, especially when the skills on show are at the top end of the sport. One lucky break by an opposing side can sometimes decide the game - that brief moment of a lapse in concentration. The unpredictability. You just don't get that in Aussie rules...

Aussie Rules used to be a great game with amazing skills on display, but now there's too many poorer players who, when faced with a more skillful opponent resort to questionable tactics of play. Flooding anyone?
User avatar Archibald

09 Jul 2011 22:12

Archibald wrote:
The thing about Aussie Rules is that IF it is such a great game, then why isn't it played everywhere around the planet by now? It's had long enough, yet struggles outside of the four states that truly play it.
But you do have to love a game that gives you a point for missing the open goal. ;)

As for a 0-0 football match being dull or uninteresting, that's rubbish. The one thing about football is that even a minnow can pinch the win. The suspense of when and if someone will score is great, especially when the skills on show are at the top end of the sport. One lucky break by an opposing side can sometimes decide the game - that brief moment of a lapse in concentration. The unpredictability. You just don't get that in Aussie rules...

Aussie Rules used to be a great game with amazing skills on display, but now there's too many poorer players who, when faced with a more skillful opponent resort to questionable tactics of play. Flooding anyone?

1.) We had this discussion in another thread why some sports are popular and others not. "The Hitch" summed it up perfectly: It´s what you are grown up with. In the colonys of England it´s cricket, in the US it´s real real Football and Baseball, in Australia it´s Aussie Rules Football. The poluarity has nothing to do with the exitement or not of games.

Only if you invest some time in learning something new (when still young and adventurous), you´ll see the exitement of games outside your country. I was "shocked" when i first saw Football and Baseball in german TV. I said to myself "how did you waste your time with soccer?". A few weeks later i was in a Baseball uniform, and very happy when coming home from a painful muddy Football struggle in the backyard. I learned the feeling late (16 years of age) what all US-Boys know from childhood: The proudness of coming home after a glory fight in football. An intense feeling i never had after a soccer match... Nothing (besides hitting a HR) comes close to catch a Ball one handed between defenders, to sack a QB, to intercept a ball returning it for a TD.

2.) ... or one lucky break enforced by the refs is enough to change the outcome of games and tournaments. Just imagine cycling, MTF and a umpire from the car calls foul and your opponent gets a free ride for 10 minutes. Soccer is laughable... :p

Better games being (a bit) predictable than being dependent of a blind or bribed ref... If that´s the thinking of exitement, well am out of words...
Veteran

10 Jul 2011 02:11

I was at the Nou Camp a few years ago to watch Barca play Inter and despite Barca winning (5-0), it was one of the best nights I have experiences. I've never been in a stadium with 99,000 other people, just for a friendly match!
RIP Wouter Weylandt - 27 September 1984 – 9 May 2011.

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

10 Jul 2011 02:34

Archibald wrote:sorry, sunshine, but it's so pc and lame now it's not funny. No where near as flowing as it used to be, nor hard. See Dippa's effort in a grand final with a punctured lung and broken ribs. Current bunch are fairies by comparison. the AFL ruined the Game - ripped it's heart out for money. Granted, the same can be said of football...

I've not done a world cup yet, but for pure atmosphere there is nothing like top level Football. I've done Cup finals and derbies here in the UK as well as UEFA Cup and Champions League matches. Awesome stuff. The AFL grand final and ANZAC day matches pale in comparison...
I'd even rate being on the Muur last April as better.

oh come on... run, tackle, run, tackle, run, tackle, kick... repeat ad nauseum

well said.
Still, for what footy has become it is still a pretty good sport.

I totally agree with your thoughts on rugby.
I've been to one game, and the gameplay just encourages a tame atmosphere. Tackle run, occasionally barge your way through. uhhf I dislike it.

zamasailo wrote:Football or Soccer as ppl likes to call it is amazing. IF you know the game.it is beautiful with passes and players movement.

indeed.

I totally disagree that real football is boring. And as for playing it being boring, absolutely not. I love playing.
User avatar Timmy-loves-Rabo
Veteran

10 Jul 2011 03:17

Timmy did you ever try out real real football? ;)

@craig

I was at Olympic Games 96 in ATL when Carl Lewis won at age 36. It was wonderful, been to WL-Football with friendly audience: wonderful, been to cycling: wonderful, to track & field WC: wonderful etc. etc.... and then i was invited some years back to soccer stadium. The guy next to me complained the whole game how bad is this and that. I got tired. And on the other side of the stadium "fans" let explode firecrackers. And that´s not even England where Hooligans fight on streets... That´s the amazing soccer too. :eek:
Veteran

10 Jul 2011 09:11

I think I saw the worse game of football ever even though my Football team won by 117 points.
diggercuz wrote:second post ever after reading the forum for the last few years and one thing i must say, ACF94 is probably the most intelligent poster here, never biased to BMC or Cadel, and never gets worked up over anything.
User avatar auscyclefan94
Veteran

10 Jul 2011 10:38

Archibald wrote:sorry, sunshine, but it's so pc and lame now it's not funny. No where near as flowing as it used to be, nor hard. See Dippa's effort in a grand final with a punctured lung and broken ribs. Current bunch are fairies by comparison. the AFL ruined the Game - ripped it's heart out for money. Granted, the same can be said of football...

BS. Current batch are stronger, faster, with better skills. Take off the rose coloured glasses to the past... watch a video from 10, 20 or 30 years ago... then sit on the fence at a current AFL game and listen to the bodies collide. Brutal.

Archibald wrote:The thing about Aussie Rules is that IF it is such a great game, then why isn't it played everywhere around the planet by now?

Doesn't make it any lesser a game... As if we need overseas acceptance to know it's the greatest game on the planet? And anyway... you gain a foothold how? TinTanks aren't going to start playing AFL... Poms aren't going to start playing AFL... Pfft. Happy to keep the game as our guilty little secret.

Archibald wrote:As for a 0-0 football match being dull or uninteresting, that's rubbish. The one thing about football is that even a minnow can pinch the win. The suspense of when and if someone will score is great, especially when the skills on show are at the top end of the sport. One lucky break by an opposing side can sometimes decide the game - that brief moment of a lapse in concentration. The unpredictability. You just don't get that in Aussie rules...

C'mon Archie... A 0-0 game interesting because a minnow can pinch a win!! They're bat **** boring... End of Story. And my team (Carlton) just had half a dozen lapses in concentration and lost to a minnow (Western Bulldogs)... Arrggghhh :mad: (And joking... they belted us!)

auscyclefan94 wrote:AFL is a free flowing, fast, hard, high scoring game. Great game.

You should barrack for my team, the Magpies. They are the best team in the competition and they are the biggest team in the competition although they are the most hated :

Finally I agree with ACF94 :D Don't know about Biggest and Best though? What's that premiership count again?

Timmy-loves-Rabo wrote:haha, love em mate (WCE)

Shouldn't this go to the clinic if we are discussing the WCE? :D
The fact is, no one has done more to make doping in sports seem like an evil than Lance Armstrong in his prime, desperately, passionately, ferociously guarding the perception that he was clean.
Gwen Knapp

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/52357070/
User avatar Spider1964

10 Jul 2011 11:16

I hate the AFL vs Soccer debate cause I love both sports and its really pathetically childish

I barrak for the Brisbane Lions and this year has been so bad :( Collingwood flying makes it even worse!!

Im also a Member of Adelaide United and go to every game (im a sucker for punnishment arent I LOL!) - its played here in opposite seasons so it is ok to like them both believe it or not!
User avatar sportzchick

10 Jul 2011 11:30

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:Timmy did you ever try out real real football? ;)

@craig

I was at Olympic Games 96 in ATL when Carl Lewis won at age 36. It was wonderful, been to WL-Football with friendly audience: wonderful, been to cycling: wonderful, to track & field WC: wonderful etc. etc.... and then i was invited some years back to soccer stadium. The guy next to me complained the whole game how bad is this and that. I got tired. And on the other side of the stadium "fans" let explode firecrackers. And that´s not even England where Hooligans fight on streets... That´s the amazing soccer too. :eek:

And there are idiots everywhere, some Vancouver Canucks fans took their defeat in the Stanley Cup the wrong way and had a riot. I enjoy watching football/soccer, and I do agree some games can be watching like paint dry.

I'm surprised you love the NFL given the widespread use of products that we can discuss in the Clinic.
RIP Wouter Weylandt - 27 September 1984 – 9 May 2011.

RIP Xavier Tondó Volpini - 5 November 1978 – 23 May 2011

RIP John aka theswordsman - 2 July 1957 - 1 August 2011

Wouter, John and Xavi, you all will be missed.
User avatar craig1985
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General