Register

AFL Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

24 May 2015 08:38

gregrowlerson wrote:Hawthorn lost another game they should have won. Only at .500. Incredible.

It was a very good game though and Sydney are a good team. Goodes had a good game, Rioli almost stole it for the Hawks but Mcveigh was ice cool at the end to seal the Sydney win.
I still think the Hawks will finish in the top 4. West coast and the SA teams will drop off.
One Eyed Aussie

Re: Re:

24 May 2015 12:46

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:Tasmania should have a team; the only problem is that it's all about sponsorship dollars, and Tasmania simply doesn't have enough big business to support and AFL team. Then again, I don't see why the AFL can't give such a club some extra handouts, it's a big competition, and like the NBA has a salary cap.

There are no local rich men? Even in the worst areas of the world are some Tinkov-like "lords" owning this and that around the corner. So I guess if the will is there, AFL could go first to Tasmania.

Which soccer doesn't. And I strongly dislike that about soccer.

Yes, same thinking here. That´s why there are the same winners again and again. It´s soooo boring.

There is the Northern Territory too which is very much into AFL, but similar to Tasmania, the issue is $. Oh, and opposition teams probably wouldn't be too keen on playing in high humidity in Darwin :D

... and I would be far far away, right? ;)

As far as the final eight system goes, I probably preferred it when 1 played 8 in week one rather than playing 4; more reward for finishing top. But even with the current format, it would be improved in teams kept their seedings. So say team 1 wins four more games during the home and away season than team 4, but then loses in the first week (this happened to Port Adelaide in consecutive years, 2002/2003). Not only do they have to play in week 2 whilst their conquerer gets the weeks break, but they also have to travel in they win their semi final and go into the preliminary final. My opinion is that it would be fairer if team 1 were guaranteed a home final (except for the grand final which is always played at the M.C.G) in all matches. Even if team 2 beats team 3, and then has to travel away to face team 1 in the prelim, that's just too bad. And it would be an interesting comparison of the week's rest vs. home ground advantage.

TBH, I am not yet fully understanding the Australia playoff system. But from a (even though short) historical view, it seems to be fair in my opinion, since no team lower than seed five won the GF. In comparison just look at the National Luck League (IOW: NHL). It seems every year a 6th-8th seed team makes the finals (sometimes with negative point differential :eek: ). Why they still have a regular season (home/away season) is beyond me. And it´s further beyond me that people still pay hard earned dollars to attend that games, yet they shall understand those games are meaningless...

In weekend news: Parker, Franklin ofc, McVeigh, and even Goodes were impressive. If the Swans wouldn´t always slow start, their Pct would be up there with that of the Hawks, Eagles. and Dockers. So Iam optimistic for them going deep in the finals.
This week Hawks vs Swans. Hope I don´t miss that. Need to set my alert on the watch.

@leftover... in the end I rooted for WB. Great how the closed the gap vs Freo in the 4th Qtr. I like them more and more... :)

How about the GWS Giants? And BL clobbers PA? :eek: Seems they got their act together with two upsets wins in a row...

the reason Tasmania does not have a team is because Hawthorn and North Melbourne rent-seek and play some games there for a few million a year, and channel 7 and Foxtel still broadcast to the consumers in tassie and sell media and advertising.

effectively, they still commodify the 600 thousand consumers in Tassie or how many live there, but they dont have to run a team at a loss down there and suffer the expenses.

I also think they "deserve" a team, whatever the damn defintion of deserve is I am using. (I aint even sure)

If Greenbay Pakers in Wisconsin or close to Milwaukee or wherever the GBP are, then Launceston and Hobart should be able to share a Tasmanian team.

For all the element of sport being the driving force, and life force, of the Australian culcha, then they are pretty incompetent about this.

Canberra looked like an option about 15 years back too.

I think it will be about 40 years before a Canberra team and a Tasmanian team.

next team will be one more WA team, that is likely about a decade out, since the mining revenues have come off. It might not even get up in the next decade, it could be a few decades.

Then a Townsville team. Heat issues pending.
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

25 May 2015 01:19

after an insipid effort against the demons, the bulldogs premiership campaign is well and truly on the ropes. . . .

might be asking for a refund for my flights
User avatar leftover pie

05 Jun 2015 22:12

So Freo lost its first game. It had to happen. The 1st Qtr by Rich did it to them. I liked how "Whiskey" played, and then it´s a game they lose. :eek:
I had the feeling last night this might be the one they give in, and this time I could resist to look at the scoreboard before watching. Makes it so much more enjoyable.
Btw, the Haw-Syd game a couple of weeks ago, I lurked at the scoreboard first (like I did to many other thrillers before). So that day I told myself don´t do it again. Just don´t. Don´t. Hope I stay strong; either wake up in the night & watch half sleepy, or resist to go to afl.com.au... It´s sooo hard. :o
User avatar FoxxyBrown1111
Veteran

06 Jun 2015 19:16

Saw my first ever on-the-ground-banana-goal... Guess who? Yep Franklin. Goodes still with some goodies, otherwise the Swans game was over after 1 Qtr.
And leftovers WB Bulldogs falling apart now? At least they kept it close for three qtrs.
Veteran

Re:

08 Jun 2015 00:09

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:And leftovers WB Bulldogs falling apart now? At least they kept it close for three qtrs.

The bulldogs fell apart a few weeks ago against st Kilda and have been hanging on for grim life ever since.

And despite their bad start to the year, people shouldn't underestimate port Adelaide, they "should" be easily dispatching teams like the bulldogs, interesting to see how their year pans out for them.
User avatar leftover pie

08 Jun 2015 00:20

So you cancelled your flight already? ;)
I think WB can still make the finals... and then turn a 2007-NYG-like playoffs.
BTW, what happened to Brad Scott? I didn´t see him in the coaching booth today. Great win for NM anyway. I thought they´d lose going against the wind & a strong WC squad in the 4th Qtr. So I am surprised they prevailed in the end... Love that small Blundstone Arena with the houses seeable in the hills. From a business standpoint bad, but a beautiful view... Hope Tasmania gets a team soon, so I can see more games played there.

Next week start the bye-weeks. I hate them in the NFL, and will certainly in the AFL.
Veteran

08 Jun 2015 00:23

And freo!

Disappointed of course, but hopefully it will be a valuable lesson in taking wins and form for granted.
User avatar leftover pie

08 Jun 2015 00:32

The Freo game, they actually made a good comeback. Showed courage. Was just kidding with falling apart. They are strong enough (in my POV) to finish 8th or 7th.
Veteran

12 Jun 2015 11:08

Great intense close game. Should go down the wire. Surprised the Cats go step with step with Port. Rooting for the underdogs (Geelong)... :)
Veteran

Re:

12 Jun 2015 13:21

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:Great intense close game. Should go down the wire. Surprised the Cats go step with step with Port. Rooting for the underdogs (Geelong)... :)

Really enjoyable game with Geelong getting away late. Beating Port in Adelaide is definitely something to be proud of.
One Eyed Aussie

13 Jun 2015 05:36

How ´bout that? GC still in the game after three quarters, only down by 9. The upset of the year in the making for the 45.5 points-underdogs. :eek:

Edit: Almost. 22 seconds, unluckily the Suns didn´t win the last ball-up...

So my two chosen teams stay 1-Freo, 2-Swans in the ladder. But TBH, I rooted for the Suns to make the upset. Only root for the Swans to win every game. Even if a upset by lets say the Brisbane Lions would be in the making.

Now waiting for the Swans game against North.

Edit II:

After the usual slow start, Swans blow away NM in the 2nd Qtr... the last hurrah in the final minute of that term by North won´t change a thing: Swans to walk trou another win in the 2nd half. It´s good to root for a winning team. :)

Edit III:
So... it got close in the end. Too bad NM didn´t kick with accuracy (that is where it all comes down to). :D
Statistically NM was at the level of Swans...

Best start since 1996. :)
Veteran

Re:

14 Jun 2015 10:05

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:Great intense close game. Should go down the wire. Surprised the Cats go step with step with Port. Rooting for the underdogs (Geelong)... :)

Go the mighty cats! :D
User avatar darwin553

16 Jun 2015 20:02

So some Geelong fans here... but how about Saints fans? Would someone out himself. ;)
Wooden spoon or not... Some exciting games by them this year. You never know what you get. Either stopping scoring after 1 1/2 quarters, then getting blown away, or making historical comebacks, or having duells with opponents to not kick goals at all for almost a whole quarter, only to have both teams kick one in the waning seconds.
You gotta love them. :)
Veteran

18 Jun 2015 10:31

One Eyed Aussie wrote:I still think the Hawks will finish in the top 4

Hopefully not. They are the best team. Seems like they have one more guy on the field than their opponents. At times in the 1st Qtr it looked like they´d drop the Crows by 100 today.
No team seeded lower than fourth made the GF since the latest playoff system was invented in 2000. So that is my hope. :o

Edit: OK, the Crows fought themselves back into it (which is quiet an achievment after it looked like a blow-out to them midway trou the 1st & 2nd Qtrs), even led for a few minutes. :) But I fear the tank is emty now, as the Hawks go into the 4th with a 2 1/2 goal lead. :o
The good crowd (as usual in Adelaide) needs to go berserk now to influence the refs :D
Veteran

18 Jun 2015 23:27

Yes Foxxy you hate the Hawks I know ;) .
Adelaide were lucky to be as close as they were at half time and in the third quarter as Hawthorn had dominated the game. Hawks were slightly lucky with some free kicks but far too good in the end.
I just hope Hawthorn never again play in that jumper which was an abomination. If you didn't know the players you would have no idea which team they were. :eek:
One Eyed Aussie

19 Jun 2015 00:33

I wouldn´t say I hate them. Just dislike dominance, coz that is boring (ok, I accept it with the Swans, really felt in love with them :) ). But I have a heart for the underdogs. Actually I praised their (Hawks) courage as they almost erased a 50 point deficit earlier in the year...
Yes they dominated trou-out the game with some bumps in the road. The only way to beat them is having a better kicking accuracy. Even the Swans needed that in their game to prevail. So my hope is they (Hawks) "manage" to finish max 5th, coz no team ever (since the new playoff system got invented in 2000) made the GF from there (or lower).
Swans & Freo seems a lock for Top-4. WCE have a great chance too. My only concern is Collingwood will fade. So I strongly root for them from now too. :)

Btw, as I said before: Footy is awesome. Heavy metal meets fine skill. When I used to watch soccer matches in my youth, I could risk to take my eyes off TV. Not possible in AFL football, every second game deciding things happen, or at least poetry in motion with stunning marks and unbelievable goals... until a blow-outs (which happen a lot when weak teams play stronger ones) is secured... Then I can turn my eyes away.

If AFL fotball wasn´t existing, someone should invent it. The rest of the world miss some real special athletic & fine motor skill displays...
Veteran

Re:

19 Jun 2015 02:00

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:I wouldn´t say I hate them. Just dislike dominance, coz that is boring (ok, I accept it with the Swans, really felt in love with them :) ). But I have a heart for the underdogs.

Yeah look I don't like dominance either, even if it is my team. I remember when Hawthorn made every grand final from 1983-1989 (and then again in 1991 after missing out in 1990) that I didn't care if they won or lost the grand final because they had already achieved something great just by getting there. :)

Hawthorn have certainly had more than their fair share of success lately as well so I have no problem with other teams fighting out the finals. I would like to see one of Fremantle/Bulldogs/Saints win this year, Fremantle most of all. :D

I'm not particularly interested in the "plastic" franchises of GWS or Gold Coast doing well. They need to spend a long time earning their place in the league (and building up a fan base) in the first place. :(

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:If AFL fotball wasn´t existing, someone should invent it. The rest of the world miss some real special athletic & fine motor skill displays...

That's a good characterisation. Luckily someone did (invent it) - to keep cricketers fit during the off season :eek:.
One Eyed Aussie

19 Jun 2015 10:26

One Eyed Aussie wrote:
FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:I wouldn´t say I hate them. Just dislike dominance, coz that is boring (ok, I accept it with the Swans, really felt in love with them). But I have a heart for the underdogs.

Yeah look I don't like dominance either, even if it is my team. I remember when Hawthorn made every grand final from 1983-1989 (and then again in 1991 after missing out in 1990) that I didn't care if they won or lost the grand final because they had already achieved something great just by getting there. :)

Hawthorn have certainly had more than their fair share of success lately as well so I have no problem with other teams fighting out the finals. I would like to see one of Fremantle/Bulldogs/Saints win this year, Fremantle most of all. :D

I'm not particularly interested in the "plastic" franchises of GWS or Gold Coast doing well. They need to spend a long time earning their place in the league (and building up a fan base) in the first place. :(

FoxxyBrown1111 wrote:If AFL fotball wasn´t existing, someone should invent it. The rest of the world miss some real special athletic & fine motor skill displays...

That's a good characterisation. Luckily someone did (invent it) - to keep cricketers fit during the off season :eek:.

Saints, yeah, would be cool. But not going to happen. But they are fun to watch, no doubt. You never know if getting another blow-out or engaging in a last minute thriller.

Since I am not long into it (thus don´t know about the traditions, etc), I actually wish them "plastic" franchises all the best. GWS Giants I especially like, since they were the punching ball just yesteryears and now even beat the world champs. Talk about a turnaround.

I would like to see the Swans going against the 5th (or lower seeded) team in the GF (other than Hawks ofc). Just because it never happened with the latest finals format, and not b/c I wish them Swans easy opposition in the final. ;)
Veteran

19 Jun 2015 17:43

"The AFL has been high on the list of the best attended domestic professional sports leagues in the world for several years, bettered only by the NFL in America, the Bundesliga in Germany and the Premier League in England in terms of average gate per match. One of the AFL’s core principles, reiterated
in the sport’s annual report for 2014 Click here to view is that competitive balance (CB) lies at the heart of the attraction. A revised CB policy, approved in 2014, was designed ‘to give each club a chance to compete strongly on-field regardless of its financial strength’. The policy is ‘based on the philosophy that every supporter and member of our 18 clubs should believe their club has a genuine chance of winning in each week of the season.’"

The intensions are good, just this year it won´t work for Carlton, Brisbane and GC (to be at least half competitive)

Salaries per team/player: (2014/USD)
1 Sydney Swans 270,681 (Guess Franklin has a lot to do with it)
2 Geelong 255,697
3 Greater Western Sydney 249,050
4 Fremantle 246,563
5 Hawthorn 241,306
6 North Melbourne 240,947
7 West Coast Eagles 238,938
8 Essendon 237,292
9 Carlton 235,921
10 Richmond 235,331
11 Melbourne 232,524
12 Collingwood 232,234
13 Adelaide Crows 231,302
14 Port Adelaide 229,716
15 Gold Coast 228,414
16 Brisbane Lions 227,793
17 Western Bulldogs 226,908
18 St Kilda 214,965 (wooden spooner here too)

Opinions?

Link: http://www.globalsportssalaries.com/
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General