Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: Re:

12 Sep 2017 05:31

on3m@n@rmy wrote:

Well that was a great interview with Jimmy Johnson that Cowherd did and I love listening to Jimmy in that kind of a setting. Just about everybody can learn something from Johnson. In fact, in his coaching days he was regarded as the best teacher of the game in the NFL. At that same time Bill Belichick was considered the best game planner. Both of those opinions coming from NFL head coaching peers.

So during the interview the topic turned to Jared Goff, who apparently had a pretty good game for the Rams last weekend. Colin Cowherd asked Jimmy what he sees in Goff now. Jimmy hemmed and hawed a little bit but finally came up with this:
I don't like to say this about coaches, but last year Jared Goff really was not coached very well.
Sounds like there is hope for Jared Goff.

Yeah it seems that Jeff Fisher was on quite a few hit lists. People were lining up and complaining about his contract extension and the fact that with Fisher the Rams would be never better than average. i think McVay will be good for Goff and might have an easier transition than Shanahan does at the 49ers. But I agree with Cowherd about Goff's physique. From the reports I read, the Colts were terrible as was the QB and once again people were questioning why Kaep wasn't signed when the severity of Luck's injury was known long ago and that an operation was imminent. Brissett can't get on the field soon enough it seems.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: National Football League

12 Sep 2017 15:52

on3m@n@rmy wrote:SEA OL looking strong this year (I mean, bad):
https://instagram.com/p/BY4mLy_Hau4/

Edit... in case u could not see the image (& thoughts!) Via Instagram:
Four SEA guys can't block 3 Packers! SEA is wasting QB & defensive talent. No surprise.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

12 Sep 2017 16:01

movingtarget wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:

Well that was a great interview with Jimmy Johnson that Cowherd did and I love listening to Jimmy in that kind of a setting. Just about everybody can learn something from Johnson. In fact, in his coaching days he was regarded as the best teacher of the game in the NFL. At that same time Bill Belichick was considered the best game planner. Both of those opinions coming from NFL head coaching peers.

So during the interview the topic turned to Jared Goff, who apparently had a pretty good game for the Rams last weekend. Colin Cowherd asked Jimmy what he sees in Goff now. Jimmy hemmed and hawed a little bit but finally came up with this:
I don't like to say this about coaches, but last year Jared Goff really was not coached very well.
Sounds like there is hope for Jared Goff.

Yeah it seems that Jeff Fisher was on quite a few hit lists. People were lining up and complaining about his contract extension and the fact that with Fisher the Rams would be never better than average. i think McVay will be good for Goff and might have an easier transition than Shanahan does at the 49ers. But I agree with Cowherd about Goff's physique. From the reports I read, the Colts were terrible as was the QB and once again people were questioning why Kaep wasn't signed when the severity of Luck's injury was known long ago and that an operation was imminent. Brissett can't get on the field soon enough it seems.

Goff's stats Sunday confirms solid play:
21/29, 72.4 cmp%, 306 yards, 1 TD, 0 Int, 10.6 YPA,
Rating 117.9.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

12 Sep 2017 19:43

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Four SEA guys can't block 3 Packers! SEA is wasting QB & defensive talent. No surprise.

This is what happens when you sink all your money into "star" players, and have nothing left over for the OL, who really does most of the work on offense.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

13 Sep 2017 01:57

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:Four SEA guys can't block 3 Packers! SEA is wasting QB & defensive talent. No surprise.

This is what happens when you sink all your money into "star" players, and have nothing left over for the OL, who really does most of the work on offense.

Exactly!
jmdirt

13 Sep 2017 12:53

I didn't watch MNF (no cable), but the numbers look good for MIN. If Bradford, Cook, Thielen, Diggs have those numbers, the O line must be good. How was the D? NOLA numbers were solid so the MIN D might need to tighten up? DB spread the ball around (5 guys with 40+ yards, but no one with 100+). Is Cook going to have a Elliott type rookie season?

EDIT: I didn't watch it, but HOU is 1-1. How did Watson look (considering his O line is not good).
Last edited by jmdirt on 15 Sep 2017 14:47, edited 2 times in total.
jmdirt

15 Sep 2017 03:32

Interesting about SF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6CtgLngLI

Interesting about his kids playing football (about 7:00 min in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy-ZqR8OEJ8
jmdirt

Re:

15 Sep 2017 04:23

jmdirt wrote:Interesting about SF:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB6CtgLngLI

Interesting about his kids playing football (about 7:00 min in):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy-ZqR8OEJ8

Yeah watched a few parts of the long interview including these two. I like the interviewers style of letting Smith talk and not interrupting which happens too much in interviews these days. I agree with him about the kids not needing to play tackle and the 49ers dysfunction from all reports was bad. Too bad this interview was split into so many segments instead of just the one long interview. The suicide segment about losing his best friend at the same time as being replaced by Kaep was very interesting. Very good interview. Smith seems like a decent guy and an honest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_pNZ0sPHuM

talks about his friend
movingtarget
Veteran

17 Sep 2017 17:32

We've discussed this before, but D holding of a receiver before the pass should not be an auto first down. Who knows if that receiver would have been the target, and who knows if they would have caught it. It should be a five yard penalty, and replay down. On a similar note, O holding should be five yards, and replay down.

Alpe, you and I disagreed about the new PI rule...so far you are correct on that one.
jmdirt

17 Sep 2017 18:08

I think the Chargers should be given a 5 free penalty rule..we're there first 5 penalties both offensive and defensive be overlooked.. also Charger receivers should be able to push off or simply push the defender down in order to get a reception.. The defensive backs and covering linebacker should be able to hold on to anything,jersey, helmet... anything while covering a opponent trying for the ball.. Phillip Rivers should be allowed extra offensive linemen..to make things fair.. all games should be extended until the Chargers are ahead and then the game should be called and the LA Chargers given a win.. even if the other team didn't get a possession..
And finally the Spanos. family should return all the money I spent on being a world wide San Diego Chargers fan..the BS I endured while wearing my bolt hat(s) in NYC and DC.. all the shots, beer and wings I purchased while being abused by Philly,Giant and Jet fans.. I have a valid claim to a refund.. I wore a Chargers hat in Eastern and Western Europe.. I wore one on the East coast.. while watching Tom Brady!! I wore Chargers garb when LT became a Jet!! I cheered Jr as he kicked azz as a Patriot!!I watched in disbelief as players said to be inadequate Chargers went to New Orleans and dominated..
Dean Spanos and family are a football cancer..
RIP Mr.Seau they never deserved you.. yes I am bitter..a lil
Unchained

17 Sep 2017 22:51

Trevor Siemian and the Broncos are on fire today
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do"
User avatar bob.a.feet

18 Sep 2017 04:09

Surprise of the day for me was DEN over DAL. Yes, the Bronco D is good, but I didn't see them winning let alone like that.
SEA eked one out, but they need help.
Brady is too old! :rolleyes: :lol:
jmdirt

18 Sep 2017 13:57

movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

19 Sep 2017 08:45

jmdirt wrote:Surprise of the day for me was DEN over DAL. Yes, the Bronco D is good, but I didn't see them winning let alone like that.

Watched the 49ers game. Both teams were having an off day with the offense. Couldn't catch the ball. Not surprisingly the 49ers tired in the fourth quarter. Hyde had a good game but the 49ers couldn't capitalize and Hoyer was pretty ordinary. One good drive by Wilson and Seattle did enough to win.
movingtarget
Veteran

19 Sep 2017 15:03

movingtarget wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Surprise of the day for me was DEN over DAL. Yes, the Bronco D is good, but I didn't see them winning let alone like that.

Watched the 49ers game. Both teams were having an off day with the offense. Couldn't catch the ball. Not surprisingly the 49ers tired in the fourth quarter. Hyde had a good game but the 49ers couldn't capitalize and Hoyer was pretty ordinary. One good drive by Wilson and Seattle did enough to win.

While DEN vs DAL was a hard game to predict, I was not too surprised at the outcome. Not surprised by Siemian. But I was surprised at Zeke Elliott's lack of production. DAL opponents should take notice of the DEN recipe to limit Zeke and put the game on Dak's shoulders, not that it's all Dak's fault with Dez relatively ineffective & Whitten dropping one near/in the endzone.

You nailed it on that 9er/SEA summary. Crummy game of the week IMO. The runner-up crummy GOTW was last night's MNF game of NYG vs DET. At least the MNF game was enjoyable to watch Stafford do his thing, which was light-years better than Wilson's performance for SEA, and watch Eli suffer behind what might be a worse OL than Seattle's.

As for Wilson, he was off most of the day, either air-mailing or bounce-passing the ball etc. Forget the dropped passes a sec, he was just mostly ugly. A joke going round is he must have fought with Ciarra the night before.

OFC for SEA the other joke is that OL, whom OL coach Cable said is a group he is "most excited about". The SEA front office has to give him more to work with, by shedding some salary on defense next off-season. But these are guys he wanted, so part of the problem starts with Cable. And because of that, Cable may be on his way out at season's end.
---
Everyone giving KC QB Alex Smith's performance to date love. I said before he was helping Mahomes learn, but looks like the presence of Mahomes is pushing Alex too - kind of a symbiotic relationship. Anyone doubt that Smith worked with extra effort in the off-season on those long balls?

Ryan Leaf is back! In the broadcast booth anyway. Believe it will be college games. Props to him for putting his life back in order.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

20 Sep 2017 06:26

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

While DEN vs DAL was a hard game to predict, I was not too surprised at the outcome. Not surprised by Siemian. But I was surprised at Zeke Elliott's lack of production. DAL opponents should take notice of the DEN recipe to limit Zeke and put the game on Dak's shoulders, not that it's all Dak's fault with Dez relatively ineffective & Whitten dropping one near/in the endzone.

You nailed it on that 9er/SEA summary. Crummy game of the week IMO. The runner-up crummy GOTW was last night's MNF game of NYG vs DET. At least the MNF game was enjoyable to watch Stafford do his thing, which was light-years better than Wilson's performance for SEA, and watch Eli suffer behind what might be a worse OL than Seattle's.

As for Wilson, he was off most of the day, either air-mailing or bounce-passing the ball etc. Forget the dropped passes a sec, he was just mostly ugly. A joke going round is he must have fought with Ciarra the night before.

OFC for SEA the other joke is that OL, whom OL coach Cable said is a group he is "most excited about". The SEA front office has to give him more to work with, by shedding some salary on defense next off-season. But these are guys he wanted, so part of the problem starts with Cable. And because of that, Cable may be on his way out at season's end.
---
Everyone giving KC QB Alex Smith's performance to date love. I said before he was helping Mahomes learn, but looks like the presence of Mahomes is pushing Alex too - kind of a symbiotic relationship. Anyone doubt that Smith worked with extra effort in the off-season on those long balls?

Ryan Leaf is back! In the broadcast booth anyway. Believe it will be college games. Props to him for putting his life back in order.

Considering that the Panthers O Line outplayed the 49er's totally last week and the 49ers O Line didn't look any worse than Seattle's sometimes better just shows how much ground Seattle has to make up in that department. Seattle had a much better pass rush which was where some of Hoyer's problems were coming from but he and Wilson were bad and not helped by the fact that their good throws were being dropped ! At the post match interview Pete seemed just happy to get the win !

Yeah saw Ryan Leaf on the Colin Cowherd show as well, I think he is now a regular guest.
movingtarget
Veteran

20 Sep 2017 12:59

Awesome to have Leaf on Cowherd periodically.

Did you also see the Jake Olson interview? Perhaps the best interview Cowherd has ever done. For those who do not know, Jake Olson is a blind Long Snapper, plays for USC. Lost his eyes to cancer around age 12 when Pete Carroll (then the USC HC) & players took him under their wing. Quite a story.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

20 Sep 2017 13:25

blutto wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:
blutto wrote:....two words....Cooper....Rush.....

Cheers

Wow. You called it. Just watched the rerun vs Raiders.

....yeah ....Dallas just may have hit pay-dirt again eh....he really seems to have adapted to the NFL speed and looks right on top of it ( which I think is what does in a lot of the great metrics but really can't play guys....that speed transition from college...)....

...btw if interested in this idea of how appropriate temporal abilities for specific tasks is the secret behind the superstars you may want to look up a book called The Sweet Spot in Time.....

The book arrived last week and got through intro and chapter 1. So far, as Spock would say, "fascinating" discussion of harnessing fulcrums, levers, arcs, and time, etc. Might be the best $2 paperback I ever bought.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

20 Sep 2017 14:16

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Awesome to have Leaf on Cowherd periodically.

Did you also see the Jake Olson interview? Perhaps the best interview Cowherd has ever done. For those who do not know, Jake Olson is a blind Long Snapper, plays for USC. Lost his eyes to cancer around age 12 when Pete Carroll (then the USC HC) & players took him under their wing. Quite a story.

No but I read an article about him in the NY Times. Some story.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General