Log in:  

Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: National Football League

08 Feb 2018 11:31

on3m@n@rmy wrote:More on the Josh McDaniels situation backing out of the Colts HC job. Cowherd had these 4 thoughts on how Pats owner Bob Kraft sold Josh to flip back to the Patriots.
Kraft sold Josh by saying:
1. Colts have a crazy owner. I'm not.
2. Colts have a QB whose health is questionable. We have Brady.
3. Colts have a chaotic organization. Ours is stability.
4. Colts lack personnel to make playoffs. We will return to playoffs.

Besides an increase in wages and responsibilities that Kraft likely offered, there could be more. If Josh has kids, especially if they are in school, the stability the Pats job offers could be huge (not having to pull them out of school for a move to Indy now). Plus, Belichick is almost 70, so how many more years before Josh could step into a retiring-Belichick's job? That equals more potential for stability under Kraft than under a crazy Colts owner.


McDaniels doesn't seem to know what he wants. He was the front runner for the 49ers job last season as well as being interviewed by other teams until he pulled out of the running. The issue with the family came up last year so why did he throw his hat in the ring again this year ? It seems he never was going anywhere. If he has doubts why be interviewed at all and not a give a team that really wants him any idea about his uncertainty while other possibles get locked up by other teams ? Still the 49ers probably would have selected Shanahan anyway as they liked the package with Lynch as GM.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

08 Feb 2018 11:33

jmdirt wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Here's an interesting thought: a guy I work with is a Colts fan so he has been following Luck's situation closely and thinks that his career is over. He thinks that Cousins will be in Indy this year. Granted, I haven't followed Luck's situation really at all, but him never playing again hadn't crossed my mind. If that does happen (I hope not), I still don't see Cousins going there unless they hire a coach that he really wants to play for.

Wow. Well I hope Luck's career is not over. The only people who would really have some idea would be his trainers, doctors, and some team staff. But even some of those people may not have a real accurate feeling about his returning. I've seen some guys who you'd think were done, quietly do work on their own behind the scenes, return as starters after 9 months rehab and surprise many, including docs and coaches. I mean, even the docs, trainers, & coaches at best in a serious injury may have guesses about the final outcome, but none will know until the player hits the practice field, or in Luck's case tries to throw at some point. Such a high profile player like Luck performing rehab work without being noticed is unimaginable though.

I have not tried to follow and have heard nothing, but my question for your coworker is has Luck done any throwing yet?

I did a (very) little research, and your coworker's gut feel may be right if Luck is not throwing yet. Here's what I found out:
- Luck first injured shoulder Sept. 27, 2015. The injury was misunderstood, and he continued to play with it.
“I did not know it was his shoulder; I thought it was just his sternum or rib-related because of when I tapped him like that in the video that everybody saw afterward,” former Colts quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said. “I didn’t know, or I wouldn’t have done it. In that game, we were 0-2, and he brought us back, seriously, by himself. Throws the game winner; it was a heck of a throw. Basically it was like, ‘If you can make that throw, you’re fine.’ I did believe he was fine. I didn’t think it was an issue.”
- After that Sept 27 game Luck missed the following 2 games due to the shoulder.
- Luck returned to play four games before his 2015 season ended due to a lacerated kidney in Week 9.
- Luck re-injured his right shoulder by trying to make a tackle after throwing a pick in Week 2 of 2016 season.
[ LINK: http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/21743/andrew-lucks-injury-how-we-got-here-and-when-he-will-return ]

So he has been sidelined for more than a year! That is not good normally. But there is that possibility he could have returned at the end of the 2017 season but decided not to risk it. But like I said, if he is STILL not throwing... that would be bad, bad news, and not very comforting.

I really don't have any clue about Luck and/or Indy in general. But my colleague is a lifelong Colts fan, who is also fiends with Pagano's kid. He didn't pull the "insider connection" card this morning, but the way that he matter of factly said that Luck is done, at the very least gave me pause. I really hope that he is not done. We won't really know until summer I guess. Even if they make a QB move in free agency and/or draft a QB it could be viewed as insurance.


Luck's injuries will be hard to overcome. Not only will he have a shorter career, it's doubtful he will be back to what he was. Be interesting to see if the Colts draft a QB ! Retirement wouldn't surprise me.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

08 Feb 2018 15:49

If I were the Colts I would hire Jim Caldwell as head coach. His specialty is QBs and he comes with a winning record(NFL: 64–54 (.542)). He is also a known quantity in the organization.

And believe it or not, he is an excellent clock and game manager.
User avatar ToreBear
Member
 
Posts: 1,714
Joined: 08 Aug 2012 23:08
Location: Norway

10 Feb 2018 02:03

Well, he was their HC from 2019-2011, so they'd be familiar with him. I can't think I've ever heard anyone say a single negative thing about him personally, and most people seem to respect him. But if Jeff Fisher is Mr. 7-9, Caldwell may be Mr. 9-7.

I think the real issue though is that at 63 years of age, there aren't a lot of coaches that want to take that on. Jimmy Johnson said that Belicheck, Pete Carroll (high energy) are anomalies, and it's really a young man's game, with long hours and a lot of stress. It's just really hard to find a Sean McVey.

Having said all that, they could certainly hire someone a lot worse.

As to Luck, we will have to wait and see what the truth is on his injury. He may heal, or may be the next Chad Pennington. If he can throw though, and move okay, he may have to turn into a passer who releases a lot quicker than the past, and simply doesn't risk getting hit or sacked if at all possible. Or just takes a quick fall to the ground when it's close. Think: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning's last few years, etc. It can be done, and he could have a successful career at it. But if he's not completely healthy and strong, he likely can't extend plays the way he could, the way Ben Rothlesberger or Cam Newton can, let alone run like Cam still does (and Luck sometimes did in the past). And Luck is going to have to have an open, progressive mind about this. Just look at RG3. Again though, I'm not his doctor, I'm not a doctor at all. He may be back to 100% health come next season. I doubt the Colts will draft a QB though, as they have Brissett, and he played fairly well, with room to improve. Who knows though? They do have the third pick in the draft, it may tell us something about the team's faith in Luck's future.

In fact, it's the top story on NFL.com's 10 stories for next season to watch:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915618/article/ten-offseason-storylines-that-will-shape-the-2018-nfl-season

Garrapollo signed the biggest contract in NFL history, maybe. Ink not dry just yet, but it looks like it. With all SF's cap space, I won't be surprised to learn in 2018 his salary will top $40m in a front loaded contract like that.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,216
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

10 Feb 2018 22:55

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Well, he was their HC from 2019-2011, so they'd be familiar with him. I can't think I've ever heard anyone say a single negative thing about him personally, and most people seem to respect him. But if Jeff Fisher is Mr. 7-9, Caldwell may be Mr. 9-7.

I think the real issue though is that at 63 years of age, there aren't a lot of coaches that want to take that on. Jimmy Johnson said that Belicheck, Pete Carroll (high energy) are anomalies, and it's really a young man's game, with long hours and a lot of stress. It's just really hard to find a Sean McVey.

Having said all that, they could certainly hire someone a lot worse.

As to Luck, we will have to wait and see what the truth is on his injury. He may heal, or may be the next Chad Pennington. If he can throw though, and move okay, he may have to turn into a passer who releases a lot quicker than the past, and simply doesn't risk getting hit or sacked if at all possible. Or just takes a quick fall to the ground when it's close. Think: Tom Brady, Peyton Manning's last few years, etc. It can be done, and he could have a successful career at it. But if he's not completely healthy and strong, he likely can't extend plays the way he could, the way Ben Rothlesberger or Cam Newton can, let alone run like Cam still does (and Luck sometimes did in the past). And Luck is going to have to have an open, progressive mind about this. Just look at RG3. Again though, I'm not his doctor, I'm not a doctor at all. He may be back to 100% health come next season. I doubt the Colts will draft a QB though, as they have Brissett, and he played fairly well, with room to improve. Who knows though? They do have the third pick in the draft, it may tell us something about the team's faith in Luck's future.

In fact, it's the top story on NFL.com's 10 stories for next season to watch:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000915618/article/ten-offseason-storylines-that-will-shape-the-2018-nfl-season

Garrapollo signed the biggest contract in NFL history, maybe. Ink not dry just yet, but it looks like it. With all SF's cap space, I won't be surprised to learn in 2018 his salary will top $40m in a front loaded contract like that.


Jimmy's contract will be the new normal for the QB market if some people are to be believed. Rodgers will be paying attention as will Cousins and others, quite a few good ones coming off contract soon and some already free agents.

Forgot about Brissett at Indy. Patriots were loaded up with QBs and now it's looking dangerous for them if Brady gets hurt with Hoyer next up. I don't think Brissett will mind the move nor will Jimmy obviously but Bill B probably not so much !
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

22 Feb 2018 18:28

Cousins: So if I was Kirk I would sign with AZ (if the offer I read is correct). I wouldn't want to play for CLE or NYJ because the owners are awful. DEN isn't a bad choice either, but the weather in AZ is much nicer! :)
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,203
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

24 Feb 2018 00:12

There have been some disturbing stories coming out of the NFL, but this is one of the worst, and certainly most unpredictable, I can recall:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jonathan-martin-custody-following-alleged-threat-former-school-204356287.html

Anyone remember Jonathan Martin? He graduated from Stanford and was drafted as an OL by Miami, where he claimed he was bullied in the locker room by Richie Incognito and others. Incognito had issues of his own, and eventually was released or traded by the Dolphins. Jim Harbaugh, then coach of the 49ers and formerly of Stanford (I think while Martin was there?) took him and he played in SF for one season, but then basically flamed out.

I always thought of him as an intelligent guy who maybe lacked the killer instinct to make it in the NFL. But it seems he has another kind of killer instinct. He sent a very disturbing message that could hardly be more of a textbook profile of the next school shooter:

a screen grab of Martin’s verified Instagram account that shows the disturbing image of a gun, surrounded by bullets, with the caption, “When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge.”
Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,775
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

Re:

24 Feb 2018 13:38

Merckx index wrote:There have been some disturbing stories coming out of the NFL, but this is one of the worst, and certainly most unpredictable, I can recall:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-jonathan-martin-custody-following-alleged-threat-former-school-204356287.html

Anyone remember Jonathan Martin? He graduated from Stanford and was drafted as an OL by Miami, where he claimed he was bullied in the locker room by Richie Incognito and others. Incognito had issues of his own, and eventually was released or traded by the Dolphins. Jim Harbaugh, then coach of the 49ers and formerly of Stanford (I think while Martin was there?) took him and he played in SF for one season, but then basically flamed out.

I always thought of him as an intelligent guy who maybe lacked the killer instinct to make it in the NFL. But it seems he has another kind of killer instinct. He sent a very disturbing message that could hardly be more of a textbook profile of the next school shooter:

a screen grab of Martin’s verified Instagram account that shows the disturbing image of a gun, surrounded by bullets, with the caption, “When you’re a bully victim & a coward, your options are suicide, or revenge.”


Well the timing couldn't have been worse for him. No way this one is not investigated.................here is another issue for a current 49ers player Reuben Foster :

http://query.email.mysearches.co/Click?query=reuben%2049ers&type=other&i_id=email_100.2.2&uid=c763506c-7f19-5029-84c7-28188b40e525&sid=db521365-6cc2-4c78-8da3-d189ac3efc5c&uc=17000101&ap=nocache2&local=0&dhn=Hard%20coded%21&paid=false&cid=3168956e-efe5-4628-9a5b-d6ffd9358aba&position=10&provider=yahoo&page=&url=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubWVyY3VyeW5ld3MuY29tLzIwMTgvMDIvMjEvd2hhdC1pcy00OWVycy1yZXViZW4tZm9zdGVycy1zdGF0dXMv
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

25 Feb 2018 22:16

That is definitely alarming. He has since been released and listed by police as not a threat.

Obviously this goes beyond what happened in Miami. Living in the Northeast I've probably heard Incognito talk a few more times than others as the Bills are somewhat "local". He strikes me as a person with a bit of a tough guy complex - which isn't that uncommon considering his sport and position, but also a reasonable man when asked to be. The more I heard him talk, and the more I heard about the situation in Miami the more apparent it became this wasn't merely an issue of Incognito being told by coaches to toughen Martin up, and Richie going over the top in doing so.

Whatever is going on with Martin, I hope he gets the help he needs.

Blake Bortles given three year deal valued at $54m. It looks like $26m guaranteed.

Rams signed Marcus Peters away from the Chiefs. Great grab if I may say.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,216
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re: National Football League

27 Feb 2018 02:59

The general public does not need assault rifles, and can't think of a special case where one would. I know several who have them for recreation, or are mechanical gear head types who just like them for that alone. But gun control is going to have to get smarter and tougher.

Now, this is crazy. But I sure can't stick up for Jerry Jones on this one. He has it coming to him, even if it is chump change for Jerry. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2761627-report-roger-goodell-to-fine-jerry-jones-millions-over-public-criticism.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,948
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

01 Mar 2018 13:26

I'm not fan of Goodell, but I agree with you there, Jerry was just out of line, a selfish power grab. If you want to get rid of Goodell, there are several reasons you might want to, and I'll bet you can probably find someone better, but don't do it like this. Props to the other owners for seeing Jones BS.

Anyone watching the Combine? As I said in previous seasons, I like it. It sort of gives you hope on the heels of hearing about all the injuries from the previous season, older players retiring, etc.

In a cagey move, after Sam Darnold said he won't throw at the Combine, Josh Rosen said he would make some throws. But the QB here I think with the biggest chance to stand/fall is Josh Allen of Wyoming. He has size, the arm, played in a mostly NFL set, but can he really make the quick precise throws? What does he really have to offer?

As to the other issue, I don't want to talk politics here, anywhere really, but I agree with you. I used to sort of lean the other direction, not anymore. It's gotten insane.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,216
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

01 Mar 2018 13:48

Daryn Colledge, a BSU alum and NFL vet (Superbowl ring protecting ER) does sports radio spots around significant times of the season. Last year when he was talking about the underwear Olympics, he told a story about the runway parade. He said that the RB, DB, WR TE, LB are madly doing push ups and squats to looks as ripped as possible while the linemen are raiding the media food table eating pastry and telling jokes. :lol:
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,203
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: National Football League

02 Mar 2018 02:20

Ya. I'm recording the combine and watching when I can. But so far not much watching on my part. Did see today one OLman from Ohio state popped something in his left shoulder/upper arm in like the 3rd press of the bench press. He had to stop and get examined. Not sure the diagnosis, but not good.

Colin Cowherd thinks its a no-brainer that the Browns take Darnold #1 overall. Then Rosen to the Giants. Maybe. Too early to say IMO.

Edit: Seattle reportedly putting DE Michael Bennett on trading block at the combine. Not surprising.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,948
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

03 Mar 2018 05:08

Barkley showed that he's good on tape and good at PT!
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,203
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

03 Mar 2018 20:47

I wonder if Seattle will try to keep Sherman. To me that's a bigger question.

I would tend to agree with Cowherd this time. I see the Browns picking up either Bradford or Keenum in FA, then sitting Darnold on the bench. If I were smart, I'd sit him for a while, maybe even the entire season with only some garbage snaps. Maybe longer. He has a lot of potential, but his accuracy needs some work, as does his throwing motion. The best way to do that is have him take the time it takes to learn. Tossing him to the wolves would be a recipe for disaster I think. What the Rams did with Goff seems to have worked, having him sit a half season. What Chicago did with Trubisky I'm not so sure. He played worse than Glennon for the most part, but the Bears were sold on having him play, and often struggle, anyway. I wouldn't do that to a young QB to help him learn. Keep in mind also that Darnold is just 20 years old.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns draft someone else, and start him game one. This is the Browns we're talking about.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,216
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

04 Mar 2018 04:06

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I wonder if Seattle will try to keep Sherman. To me that's a bigger question.

I would tend to agree with Cowherd this time. I see the Browns picking up either Bradford or Keenum in FA, then sitting Darnold on the bench. If I were smart, I'd sit him for a while, maybe even the entire season with only some garbage snaps. Maybe longer. He has a lot of potential, but his accuracy needs some work, as does his throwing motion. The best way to do that is have him take the time it takes to learn. Tossing him to the wolves would be a recipe for disaster I think. What the Rams did with Goff seems to have worked, having him sit a half season. What Chicago did with Trubisky I'm not so sure. He played worse than Glennon for the most part, but the Bears were sold on having him play, and often struggle, anyway. I wouldn't do that to a young QB to help him learn. Keep in mind also that Darnold is just 20 years old.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns draft someone else, and start him game one. This is the Browns we're talking about.


Would be more interesting for the league if the Browns made a success of the QB position instead of the usual chaos. Can only help them win some games as well. I think Cleveland fans as dedicated as they are would be praying for it.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,510
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

04 Mar 2018 17:31

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I wonder if Seattle will try to keep Sherman. To me that's a bigger question.

I would tend to agree with Cowherd this time. I see the Browns picking up either Bradford or Keenum in FA, then sitting Darnold on the bench. If I were smart, I'd sit him for a while, maybe even the entire season with only some garbage snaps. Maybe longer. He has a lot of potential, but his accuracy needs some work, as does his throwing motion. The best way to do that is have him take the time it takes to learn. Tossing him to the wolves would be a recipe for disaster I think. What the Rams did with Goff seems to have worked, having him sit a half season. What Chicago did with Trubisky I'm not so sure. He played worse than Glennon for the most part, but the Bears were sold on having him play, and often struggle, anyway. I wouldn't do that to a young QB to help him learn. Keep in mind also that Darnold is just 20 years old.

Having said all that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Browns draft someone else, and start him game one. This is the Browns we're talking about.

As you have read, I've been saying that for a while. The Brown need Cousins, he doesn't need them though. The Browns need to get a solid vet QB in FA, and use their draft picks to help in other areas. What about Barkley? While the 49ers were better than CLE, all it took was one piece to get them winning. If the Browns get a good QB and one or two studs, they are a 10+ win team.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,203
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: National Football League

04 Mar 2018 23:57

Well, with their draft position and all the possible options that are available to them how can the Browns mess this one up, right?

As for Seattle and Sherman, I won't be surprised if one or more of the following are dealt to another team: Sherman, Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor. But if they deal any of those away I hope only one departs.

The feel good story of the 2018 NFL combine = UCF linebacker Shaquem Griffin, who was a late invite to the combine (only coming after the SR bowl). He posted a 4.38 40. As a LB. And benched 225# 20 times, with a fitted prosthetic for his (missing) left hand. Overcoming the amputated hand is the feel good part of the story.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919277/article/shaquem-griffin-blazes-fastest-40-for-combine-lb-since-2003
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,948
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

05 Mar 2018 00:09

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article203454044.html

Great kid from a tiny Idaho town (~400). Walk on at BSU, now maybe a first round NFL pick! His dad bought an old bus and hauled anyone from town who wanted to go to BSU games.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/boise-state-football/article174720066.html

EDIT: Griffin is a stud who deserves this opportunity, and will likely be a solid NFL player.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,203
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

08 Mar 2018 18:10

Rumor mill: MB from SEA to PHI...
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,203
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 82 guests

Back to top