Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

02 Jul 2018 16:14

Twice now I've read OPEDs: The NFL takes players letting air out of footballs more seriously than players groping woman... referring to Winston getting three games and Brady four. That's hard to defend. IMO Brady should have gotten a fine, not suspension. I can't decide on the groping issue though. Most of me wants to see Winston out for the year. I can only speak for my job, but if I was found guilty of sexual misconduct, I would be unemployed and likely never be able to work in this field again. The key is I would have to be found guilty in court (or admit to it). He hasn't even been legally charged (yet). I can ASSUME that since he isn't fighting it, he is guilty, but I won't charge a person based on my assumption. He did say "I would like to say I'm sorry to the Uber driver for the position I put you in." (is that an admission). There is of course his history of forcing himself on women as well.
jmdirt

03 Jul 2018 03:49

Re: Winston, Brady, etc. NFL needs to get their priorities in order of severity of offense. Winston's alleged offense of groping a woman Uber driver is far more egregious than deflating footballs. Or take Josh Gordon: out of the league for 2 years essentially for smoking a leaf. NFL does not appear to have a plan. They just hip shoot.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

03 Jul 2018 04:03

Not only. He had a pretty elaborate, heart-felt post on Twitter regarding his career being over. Not technically a retirement though. He was medically not cleared to play again, meaning that for his remaining contracts years (2 I think) he gets paid a guaranteed sum (not sure if the full contract amount for the season). That's fair. Players who sacrifice the body with future risk to health deserve better than to just get kicked to the street with no compensation.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: National Football League

03 Jul 2018 04:33

Rule changes for a player lowering the head to make contact is bound to cause some confusion (for everyone, including refs), and hopefully will cause teams and players to recalibrate themselves in how they are taught to play, and how they actually play. Otherwise flags will fly for a big 15-yard penalty. We will have to wait and see how this changes the game. Maybe we will see more juking, spin moves, jitterbug style of running, and less of the head-lowering pounding of a power running back. Who knows, maybe the NFL play goes to flag football. Couple of articles on the matter:
- https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/28/nfl-safety-rule-change-lower-head-helmet-themmqb-newsletter
- https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/22/nfl-targeting-rule-change-lowering-head-helmet-hit
The second link mentions these changes need to also be made at all levels of football (college, HS, & youth leagues).
“This has to go into the NCAA, the high schools and then to the youth leagues,” Riveron said. “It’s a culture change, and it’s something we are taking full responsibility [for].”

I agree it "Has to" reach those levels. Up until 6 months ago, we have seen tragedy strike the likes of long time NFL players like Seau and Webster, making it appear that CTE only affects the older former players. Now we have proof this is not so. Tragically, RS-junior QB (ed: Tyler Hilinski) of Washington State University took his own life about 6 months ago. This past week or two, his medical report was publicized revealing he suffered from stage-1 CTE (a beginning level of CTE, but that he had the brain of a 65 year-old). This after only 11 collegiate starts, and a HS and MS career that involved some play at LB. This has got to scare the pants off any parent and player competing at HS and younger levels. So, the NFL has got to change, otherwise in 10-20 years the NFL talent pool might just dry up. Flag football for the NFL anyone (including revised OL/DL play)?
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

04 Jul 2018 23:15

Was it Rice? (don't remember for sure) that attacked his then fiance (I think later got married) in an elevator and the league looked the other way until the video came out. They have a long way to go on this.
User avatar Koronin

05 Jul 2018 03:47

Today's New York Post has photos of Jason Pierre-Paul's hand after a fireworks accident!!! OMG
The guy was a big talent as a NY Giant..I had no idea about his hand..
WARNING.. the photos are bad
Unchained

Re:

05 Jul 2018 14:43

Unchained wrote:Today's New York Post has photos of Jason Pierre-Paul's hand after a fireworks accident!!! OMG
The guy was a big talent as a NY Giant..I had no idea about his hand..
WARNING.. the photos are bad

That was three years ago. I think they were probably just using the photos as a PSA to show people what can happen.
jmdirt

Re:

07 Jul 2018 19:19

Koronin wrote:Was it Rice? (don't remember for sure) that attacked his then fiance (I think later got married) in an elevator and the league looked the other way until the video came out. They have a long way to go on this.

Yes, Ray Rice and that is the correct events.
User avatar SHAD0W93

Previous

Return to General