Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, peloton, Alpe d'Huez, Eshnar, Red Rick, King Boonen, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re: National Football League

06 Mar 2017 07:17

No, I watched the entire video you posted, and know the exact play where he shows lateral moves including a spin move or two. Three moves I believe it was in one play that the narrator gushed over. What I saw on the moment he made his first cut right was he nearly lost balance but recovered. But nice clean moves after that. That video however is littered with great downhill running, but far less of the other style. BTW, I'm not the critic you say. I'm just exercising more caution than you by being more questioning.

Now if Fournette goes to a team with a lousy line then I recognize it for what it is. That would not be his fault. My guess is he will probably make that line (& perhaps the passing game) better.

As to the UDFAs you named, Rawls has never played behind a good OL in Seattle. They actually do okay vs mediocre defenses, but struggle vs defenses that can beat them up in the trenches. Interior defensive linemen like the Cards Calais Campbell and the Rams Aaron Donald give Seattle's running game (& offense in general) fits. And if Seattle accounts for them by double or triple teaming then those defenses come at them with a stunt, blitz, or someone freed up by double teams.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

06 Mar 2017 07:35

User avatar on3m@n@rmy

08 Mar 2017 21:15

49ers sign Hoyer to a two year deal with Garcon to follow also a WR from the Bills. So it looks like the 49ers will use an early rounds pick for a QB and maybe Cousins is on the agenda for next year.
movingtarget
Veteran

08 Mar 2017 23:45

That means transition to me, obviously. Now, let's see what they do at the draft.

Curious what Merckx Index thinks.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

09 Mar 2017 07:56

Regarding the last two posts on free agent signings by the 49ers, check out this website that includes comments and grades for all signings to date across the whole league. Not only do they discuss the 49ers signings of QB Brian Hoyer (2 years, $12 million, B Grade ) and WR Marquise Goodwin (2 years, $8 million, D Grade) , but also fullback Kyle Juszczyk (4 years, $21 million, B+ Grade, highest paid FB ever?). If you are interested.
http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php
Hoyer would not be any team's franchise QB but can be a decent interim player.
Interesting comments about Mike Glennon on the site, who the Bears may go after.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

09 Mar 2017 09:16

movingtarget wrote:49ers sign Hoyer to a two year deal with Garcon to follow also a WR from the Bills. So it looks like the 49ers will use an early rounds pick for a QB and maybe Cousins is on the agenda for next year.

So, the 9ers went for a journeyman QB. This guy changes teams as often as I change socks, Lol. 6 different teams in 8 seasons (NE, Pit, Ari, Hou, Cle, Chi). Does this mean they'll draft Trubisky and let them fight it out for the starting job? Hard to figure this all out, as the NFL network has a mock draft update (Casserly) showing the 9ers trading their 2nd OA pick to the Skins (presumably as part of a trade for Cousins?).

And it now looks like Elway is going to come knocking at Romo's door with checkbook in hand:

http://kdvr.com/2017/03/08/cowboys-inform-tony-romo-hell-be-released-broncos-expected-to-make-push-for-quarterback/

Elway's using the Manning blueprint for "win now." If Elway signs Romo, will it work out as brilliantly as it did with Peyton? Time will only tell, but one thing is certain in that neither Siemian nor Lynch will be happy. I can't see Siemian staying as a clipboard holder, and would Lynch want to backup Romo for a few years similar to the Osweiller/Manning situation.
Nomad

09 Mar 2017 11:45

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Regarding the last two posts on free agent signings by the 49ers, check out this website that includes comments and grades for all signings to date across the whole league. Not only do they discuss the 49ers signings of QB Brian Hoyer (2 years, $12 million, B Grade ) and WR Marquise Goodwin (2 years, $8 million, D Grade) , but also fullback Kyle Juszczyk (4 years, $21 million, B+ Grade, highest paid FB ever?). If you are interested.
http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php
Hoyer would not be any team's franchise QB but can be a decent interim player.
Interesting comments about Mike Glennon on the site, who the Bears may go after.

Thanks for that. Some interesting reading. 49ers fans also had their eyebrows raised about Vance McDonald's new contract but that was under the previous GM who had some serious issues. McDonald did well last season before he was injured but he's not worth that much. No surprise to see Taylor stay with the Bills. Interesting about Glennon and the Bears as I heard they were really interested in Garoppolo. I'm sure if the Patriots received a good offer he would go, they are not the sort of team to hold onto players that might be good if the money being offered is lucrative. Hoyer is there for the year probably. I think the D rating for Kerley was harsh, he is better than that. Torrey Smith was released from the 49ers and based on his performance last year he would be a C at best and Kerley played all over him. The Cowboys signing of Sanchez is a weird one. There are better back ups around, maybe he was cheap ? Even Gabbert and Ponder are better than Sanchez. Washington's re-signing of Vernon Davis was terrible as the article said. He was poor in his last year at the 49ers, did not get on the field at Denver in 2015 after dropping the ball all the time, had a better year last year but still, not someone I would retain. Very hot and cold.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 Mar 2017 11:56

Nomad wrote:
movingtarget wrote:49ers sign Hoyer to a two year deal with Garcon to follow also a WR from the Bills. So it looks like the 49ers will use an early rounds pick for a QB and maybe Cousins is on the agenda for next year.

So, the 9ers went for a journeyman QB. This guy changes teams as often as I change socks, Lol. 6 different teams in 8 seasons (NE, Pit, Ari, Hou, Cle, Chi). Does this mean they'll draft Trubisky and let them fight it out for the starting job? Hard to figure this all out, as the NFL network has a mock draft update (Casserly) showing the 9ers trading their 2nd OA pick to the Skins (presumably as part of a trade for Cousins?).

And it now looks like Elway is going to come knocking at Romo's door with checkbook in hand:

http://kdvr.com/2017/03/08/cowboys-inform-tony-romo-hell-be-released-broncos-expected-to-make-push-for-quarterback/

Elway's using the Manning blueprint for "win now." If Elway signs Romo, will it work out as brilliantly as it did with Peyton? Time will only tell, but one thing is certain in that neither Siemian nor Lynch will be happy. I can't see Siemian staying as a clipboard holder, and would Lynch want to backup Romo for a few years similar to the Osweiller/Manning situation.

I think the 49ers will draft an early rounds QB and next year try for Cousins probably unless they draft a stud which is probably unlikely. The big question is who will the Browns draft as their first pick ? Garrett or a QB ? Some are convinced they will take Trubisky but would the 49ers not take Garrett to get Cousins ? Many people think it would be a mistake but Shanahan seems to be a big Cousins fan. I heard that the Chiefs are interested in Watson. Andy Reid seems to be a big fan. Some good points made about Romo in the following video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71TS-5qweY
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Mar 2017 15:09

Thanks for the information there Movingtarget. Also, good question about who the Browns select at#1 overall. Of course the Browns could trade down, but I don't think the quarterbacks are good enough this year to warrant giving up the package to trade up for. Although the Browns could trade down to allow a team to draft Myles, the Browns also are in big need of a pass rushing defensive end. Therefore, because of that and the fact that the grade on Myles Garrett is so much higher than the grade on any of the quarterbacks, I think the Browns keep the #1 overall pick and use it to select Myles (remember Houston picked Clowney when they also needed a quarterback). But if some team is stupid enough to do what the Rams did last year to select Goff then the Browns would be crazy to pass that up.

Myles may not want to go to the Browns (or he might prefer going to a different team), but if I was him I'd relish the opportunity to put my stank on that team.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

09 Mar 2017 15:27

Oh oh. The Bleacher Report just reported that the Browns have signed ex-Rams wide receiver Kenny Britt to a big deal. Britt is a big-bodied wide receiver who stood out in 2016. Now to complete the puzzle so to speak the Browns might be willing to draft a quarterback as their first round pick. So now one question is will the Browns be willing to trade down to a team who wants to select Myles Garrett and trade down to a position where they could still get the quarterback that they want? Or stay at the number one overall and pick the quarterback instead of Myles Garrett?
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

09 Mar 2017 21:35

Browns acquire QB Brock Osweiler, 2018 2nd-round pick, 2017 6th-round pick for 2017 4th-round pick. And now the Browns may cut Brock if no one trades for him??? WTF!
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

09 Mar 2017 22:49

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Browns acquire QB Brock Osweiler, 2018 2nd-round pick, 2017 6th-round pick for 2017 4th-round pick. And now the Browns may cut Brock if no one trades for him??? WTF!

WTF is right! What a joke with Osweiller - he should have taken Elway's offer and stayed in Denver. But he thought the grass would be greener in Houston with that big payday and now he's hasta la vista after one season, Lol. It looks like Houston just wanted to dump him so they can go full throttle in the Romo sweepstakes. Funny thing though...Jones wants trade value for Romo and will Houston, Denver, or anyone else for that fact, be willing to give something up?

Another thing that's screwed-up is Cousins is intimating that he wants out of Washington. Here's a franchised tagged QB that will be one of the top 5 paid QBs in league and he doesn't want to play for the Skins? Does he now think he's a Tom Brady or what?

It getting kinda nauseating with some of these high-priced whiners and the musical chairs being played with the QBs.
Nomad

09 Mar 2017 23:24

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Oh oh. The Bleacher Report just reported that the Browns have signed ex-Rams wide receiver Kenny Britt to a big deal. Britt is a big-bodied wide receiver who stood out in 2016. Now to complete the puzzle so to speak the Browns might be willing to draft a quarterback as their first round pick. So now one question is will the Browns be willing to trade down to a team who wants to select Myles Garrett and trade down to a position where they could still get the quarterback that they want? Or stay at the number one overall and pick the quarterback instead of Myles Garrett?

I was hoping the 49ers would get Britt but it seems that Garcon is going to sign instead.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Mar 2017 23:46

Nomad wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:Browns acquire QB Brock Osweiler, 2018 2nd-round pick, 2017 6th-round pick for 2017 4th-round pick. And now the Browns may cut Brock if no one trades for him??? WTF!

WTF is right! What a joke with Osweiller - he should have taken Elway's offer and stayed in Denver. But he thought the grass would be greener in Houston with that big payday and now he's hasta la vista after one season, Lol. It looks like Houston just wanted to dump him so they can go full throttle in the Romo sweepstakes. Funny thing though...Jones wants trade value for Romo and will Houston, Denver, or anyone else for that fact, be willing to give something up?

Another thing that's screwed-up is Cousins is intimating that he wants out of Washington. Here's a franchised tagged QB that will be one of the top 5 paid QBs in league and he doesn't want to play for the Skins? Does he now think he's a Tom Brady or what?

It getting kinda nauseating with some of these high-priced whiners and the musical chairs being played with the QBs.

The QB musical chairs competition is becoming clearer. Glennon has become the highest paid back up in the NFL which prompted Aaron Rodgers to tweet that such a deal has to impact on his own contract !

Romo is expected to be released today so Houston here we come or maybe Washington ? And the Cousins debacle continues which indicates to me that the 49ers will get Cousins with some horse trading with Washington for next season and that they have signed Hoyer as a back up which means sayonara to Ponder and Gabbert and that they will probably still draft a QB to give them the complement they need for next season. Shanahan and the 49ers want Cousins more than Washington it seems and they are willing to pay for it. So what happens now to RGIII ? Osweiler is a strange signing but then it was also strange last season. He has gone from two potential play off teams to one that is firmly in rebuild mode. So money obviously talks for Brock. But he could still end up being out of a job ! According to an NFL commentator the Redskins head office is a dysfunctional mess so if Romo goes to Houston and Cousins goes to the 49ers the Redskins could be the losers. Maybe they get Brock ? I would laugh if Washington ended up with Kaep or Gabbert even as back ups. I still think Kaep will probably be off to the Jets.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Mar 2017 00:18

The Bears have released Jay Cutler so does this mean they will make a play for Garoppolo as rumored ? According to an NFL insider Washington won't be trading Cousins full stop and the 49ers won't be offering at least for this season. It seems to be more of a case of Cousins not wanting to play for the Redskins anymore. Not the best way to go into next season so it seems that Hoyer will get his chance at the 49ers as a starter. What a mess with Osweiler.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 Mar 2017 03:06

- Houston on the big losing end of the Osweiller trade with Cleveland. Cleveland look like geniuses.
- Bears could make play for Garappolo. But now so could Cleveland after acquiring Osweiller, who Cleveland could package with picks to the Pats in exchange for Garappolo.
- Cousins says he wants to be traded, but he is signing his franchise tender. So is his signing the tender mean he plays for Wash next season, or does that just clear a hurdle so he can be traded. I really don't know. I'm asking.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

10 Mar 2017 03:22

If interested, the schedule and results of NFL pro days for 2017 draftees can be found on this NFL.com link:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000789060/article/2017-nfl-draft-pro-day-schedule-by-top-prospects
You can view the schedule by date, by school, or by top prospects. The pro days started March 7 and runs through April 7.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

10 Mar 2017 05:05

on3m@n@rmy wrote:- Houston on the big losing end of the Osweiller trade with Cleveland. Cleveland look like geniuses.
- Bears could make play for Garappolo. But now so could Cleveland after acquiring Osweiller, who Cleveland could package with picks to the Pats in exchange for Garappolo.
- Cousins says he wants to be traded, but he is signing his franchise tender. So is his signing the tender mean he plays for Wash next season, or does that just clear a hurdle so he can be traded. I really don't know. I'm asking.

This ESPN report says that Houston made out big by dumping Osweiler to where GM Rick Smith has freed up a lot of cap space to go after another QB (whoever that might be...Romo? Garoppolo? Draft pick?). The only two QBs Houston has on it's roster right now is Savage & Weeden.

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/19197/bail-out-from-brock-osweiler-mistake-a-shocking-win-for-texans

Houston believes they're one QB away from winning it all, and Osweiler wasn't the man in their mind. Now Osweiler's laying a foundation of a journeyman QB, Lol.
Nomad

10 Mar 2017 05:14

Nomad wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:- Houston on the big losing end of the Osweiller trade with Cleveland. Cleveland look like geniuses.

This ESPN report says that Houston made out big by dumping Osweiler to where GM Rick Smith has freed up a lot of cap space to go after another QB (whom ever that might be...Romo? Garoppolo? Draft pick?). The only two QBs Houston has on it's roster right now is Savage & Weeden.

http://www.espn.com/blog/houston-texans/post/_/id/19197/bail-out-from-brock-osweiler-mistake-a-shocking-win-for-texans

Houston believes they're one QB away from winning it all, and Osweiler wasn't the man in their mind. Now Osweiler's laying a foundation of a journeyman QB, Lol.

Yes ol Ozzie shoulda stayed in Denver. Good read in that link and good point. Now Houston just needs to fix the QB situation.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

10 Mar 2017 05:43

49ers have signed another QB in Matt Barkley. Actually Mike Glennon turned down the Bucs offer which would have made him the highest paid back up in the NFL. It all make sense now as Glennon has signed with the Bears and Cutler has been released. Not sure if that is going to make Aaron Rodgers feel any better about his contract !

NFL's highest paid QBs (average salary per year):

Colts QB Andrew Luck: $24.6 million
Saints QB Drew Brees: $24.3 million
Ravens QB Joe Flacco: $22.1 million
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $22 million
Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $21.9 million
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: $21.85 million
Cardinals QB Carson Palmer: $21 million
Giants QB Eli Manning: $21 million
Chargers QB Philip Rivers: $20.81 million
Panthers QB Cam Newton: $20.76 million

One name is notably absent !