Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: National Football League

02 Nov 2017 01:19

I wonder if Osweiler will be on the move again next year ? Simien was supposed to be terrible last week. Maybe Lynch will get a turn before they draft someone ? I heard that many of the veteran QBs are coming off contract at the end of this season so Denver will have some options. I think there is a good chance that Denver releases all of these QBs before next season.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

02 Nov 2017 02:08

I am gobsmacked over Cleveland. Someone is gonna get fired. Browns fans deserve better.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

02 Nov 2017 02:14

I also am okay with Osweiller getting the start. To an extent I am also in agreement with Adam Shefter they need to find out more about Paxton Lynch, but only if they are out of playoff contention. Going into playoffs it would be unwise to hand the starting job to Lynch unless Brock and Trevor are dead.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: Re:

02 Nov 2017 05:29

on3m@n@rmy wrote:

I am gobsmacked over Cleveland. Someone is gonna get fired. Browns fans deserve better.

Hard to believe that they didn't know the process. They probably got an intern to take care of it.............
movingtarget
Veteran

02 Nov 2017 06:13

on3m@n@rmy wrote:

I also am okay with Osweiller getting the start. To an extent I am also in agreement with Adam Shefter they need to find out more about Paxton Lynch, but only if they are out of playoff contention. Going into playoffs it would be unwise to hand the starting job to Lynch unless Brock and Trevor are dead.
I agree with you on Osweiler, and he did do remarkably well in relief of Manning for that 7 game stretch back in 2015, though it's a much different O-line now (4 out of the 5 starters from that SB O-line are gone).

What do you think about the situation with Lynch? Let's assume it's Osweiler the rest of the way, playoffs or not, and Lynch sees no playing time this season. Does he get traded next year as he's going into his 3rd season as a 1st rd QB that has sat the bench his first 2 yrs? And if he stays around next year and is given a chance to compete for the starting job but doesn't win it (was beat out fair & square by Seimein the last 2 seasons), does Elway keep a 1st rd QB hanging around on the bench for a 3rd consecutive season?
Nomad

02 Nov 2017 16:06

Nomad wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:

I agree with you on Osweiler, and he did do remarkably well in relief of Manning for that 7 game stretch back in 2015, though it's a much different O-line now (4 out of the 5 starters from that SB O-line are gone).

What do you think about the situation with Lynch? Let's assume it's Osweiler the rest of the way, playoffs or not, and Lynch sees no playing time this season. Does he get traded next year as he's going into his 3rd season as a 1st rd QB that has sat the bench his first 2 yrs? And if he stays around next year and is given a chance to compete for the starting job but doesn't win it (was beat out fair & square by Seimein the last 2 seasons), does Elway keep a 1st rd QB hanging around on the bench for a 3rd consecutive season?

Tough question. Not an easy answer & there will be lots of opinions. A lot will depend on what the coaches see that we don't see, and the most important thing is whether or not Lynch is showing steady improvement & increasing understanding & command of the offense. The dagger in any player's career is for their development to plateau before they have become developed enough.

The other factor is just how much patience will Denver's coaches, front office including Elway show? Elway SHOULD have a grip on that. But we have seen just how impatient NFL teams can be in recent years, when there's so much pressure to produce now. So let me set up my take with a few examples from the past.

Seattle (cuz I know that history) 1988-1992. Kelly Stouffer, 1st round pick by Arizona in 1987 but held out the entire year in contract dispute. Seattle to his rescue picks him up in 1988. He started out as the #3 QB, but found himself in starting role due to injuries to the other QBs. Underperformed 4 years ending in his release by Seattle in 1992. Bust.

Again Seattle, 1993-1996, enter 1st round, 2nd overall pick Rick Mirer. Won ROY honors, then fell apart. Lasted nearly 10 years in the league, underperforming as a starter, but lasting as journeyman backup.

Both QBs were given about 4 years by Seattle to prove their worth. Keep in mind that was an era when college programs ran pro-style offenses. Spread offenses, RPO, & the current college no-huddle offenses did not exist. By comparison, many of today's college prospects played college under those new offensive schemes, therefore the learning curve for many of today's college QBs is much, much steeper than it was back in the day.

Considering today's learning curve and how much patience teams like Seattle used to show back in the 80's-90's, you would think teams today would show the same amount of patience. I don't know, but teams should. But again, it depends on how much improvement the player is showing, day in day out. What's the work ethic like, etc.

Now lets assume Lynch is really underperforming but showing steady improvement. Does that mean Denver should put total trust in him to become their franchise guy, and not look to other players? Not in my opinion. I say always be looking for that franchise guy, keep looking until you know you've got him, and always compete. But also keep Lynch on the roster another year or two as long as he's improving.

On the flip side, Not Improving == Gone. Done. See ya.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

02 Nov 2017 20:32

The Colts put Andrew Luck on IR for the remainder of the season.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

02 Nov 2017 20:50

movingtarget wrote:The Colts put Andrew Luck on IR for the remainder of the season.

Yep. Indy not going anywhere this year. Flopping for the Sam Darnold sweepstakes.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

02 Nov 2017 22:18

Unbelievable!...it used to be QBs always sustained injuries during games, now they're getting hurt in practice. I wonder if it's the same knee that he tore the ACL back in 2014 as a Fr. QB at Clemson? Btw, he also tore that ACL during practice. :(

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11955126/clemson-tigers-coach-says-qb-deshaun-watson-playing-torn-acl
Nomad

02 Nov 2017 23:56

Anyone see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndj54mHK6OI&t=130s

I feel sorry for the city of Cleveland, that they have to endure the Browns.
BullsFan22

03 Nov 2017 07:40

BullsFan22 wrote:Anyone see this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndj54mHK6OI&t=130s

I feel sorry for the city of Cleveland, that they have to endure the Browns.

No. That's (the video) heinous. :twisted:

If you were an NFL player, an unrestricted free agent, and could choose the team you wanted to play for, what teams teams would you avoid like the plague?
- For me #1 would be the Browns (bad, inept organization),
- #2 Texans (evil owner is a prison warden),
- #3 Redskins (semi-bad organization; sorry Amsterhammer)
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

03 Nov 2017 08:22

Nomad wrote:
Unbelievable!...it used to be QBs always sustained injuries during games, now they're getting hurt in practice. I wonder if it's the same knee that he tore the ACL back in 2014 as a Fr. QB at Clemson? Btw, he also tore that ACL during practice. :(

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/11955126/clemson-tigers-coach-says-qb-deshaun-watson-playing-torn-acl

I knew a college coach, who was also responsible for overseeing conditioning (not actually developing conditioning programs - the guy developing the workout plans had a college degree in the field), whose belief was that certain injuries injuries could be prevented or be less severe if players would do their workout plan. Some players would come in thinking they knew everything and wanted to do their own plan. The coach would say, "The conditioning guy has a degree in the field and knows a helluva lot more than you, so do the plan!" My point is, it is a real possibility the collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which I've heard places restrictions on things like how much time NFL players can be at their teams training facilities for weight lifting, is partly responsible for some of these injuries. Not sure exactly how proper conditioning might prevent ACL injuries, but this book I'm reading ATM "The sweet spot in time" (Blutto suggested), that goes into some medical things about the body & how it works, is mind boggling. And the point with saying that is there's some really deep S! out there some really smart folks understand, and players, NFLPA, owners & the league might want to consult before redoing the CBA.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

03 Nov 2017 13:14

Houstons best sporting night followed by one of its worst
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

03 Nov 2017 13:35

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
Nomad wrote:

I knew a college coach, who was also responsible for overseeing conditioning (not actually developing conditioning programs - the guy developing the workout plans had a college degree in the field), whose belief was that certain injuries injuries could be prevented or be less severe if players would do their workout plan. Some players would come in thinking they knew everything and wanted to do their own plan. The coach would say, "The conditioning guy has a degree in the field and knows a helluva lot more than you, so do the plan!" My point is, it is a real possibility the collective bargaining agreement (CBA), which I've heard places restrictions on things like how much time NFL players can be at their teams training facilities for weight lifting, is partly responsible for some of these injuries. Not sure exactly how proper conditioning might prevent ACL injuries, but this book I'm reading ATM "The sweet spot in time" (Blutto suggested), that goes into some medical things about the body & how it works, is mind boggling. And the point with saying that is there's some really deep S! out there some really smart folks understand, and players, NFLPA, owners & the league might want to consult before redoing the CBA.

Interesting.

What are you talking about?
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

03 Nov 2017 14:13

Just when I was thinking that the Bills were a team to watch heading into the second half of the season...

Not just conditioning, but correct conditioning can help reduce/prevent injuries. Connective tissue injuries are the toughest to reduce/prevent, but there are certainly things that can be done (or not done) that help. Non contact injuries always make me wonder if some preventative thing could/should have been done.
jmdirt

03 Nov 2017 16:29

@ Hitch: TBH, I don't know any of the medical stuff. In the last collective bargaining agreement that was negotiated by the league office and the players union, in exchange for giving Roger Goodell all the power (for discipline etc) the players got a few perks such as [tho I don't know all the details] reduced practices, practice time, limits on hitting in pads, time limits on how much training/conditioning at team facilities were allowed (wt. room work etc), and time off. At that time I do not believe much thought was given to how these restrictions would affect injury. You may know there has been talk that these "perks" could be partly (tho not completely of course) responsible for the increase in player injuries. So what I was suggesting is that more careful thought and medical science be considered when they go about the process of agreeing on a new collective bargaining agreement, particularly those items in the agreement that have to do with conditioning.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

06 Nov 2017 05:06

So the "best defenses" in the NFL gave up 31 first half points (DEN), and let a team easily dance 70 yards in the closing minutes for the game (SEA). Actually DEN is #2 and SEA is #12 in YPG, and SEA #5 and DEN #25 in PPG. So maybe 'we' should stop talking about how great they are until they play great again. And what's with SEA play calling?! "Hey we found something that really works so let's not do that"! WTH!

PHI looks good. DAL looks good. LA might look good, but they were playing a team giving about 70%.
jmdirt

06 Nov 2017 12:25

Kansas City's last play before the half was a beautiful thing.

Dallas played far too softly, and they took advantage of one of the strengths, in a elusive open field runner.
User avatar Catwhoorg

Re:

06 Nov 2017 21:28

Catwhoorg wrote:Kansas City's last play before the half was a beautiful thing.

Dallas played far too softly, and they took advantage of one of the strengths, in a elusive open field runner.

I agree. It was a very nicely worked play, but Dallas were too passive, even in prevent mode.

The Cowboys worked hard to pull out a lead, had a brainfart in the middle of the game, but in the end it was a solid win. The defense has become more solid over the past few weeks after the return of some key players in the front seven.
User avatar Tank Engine

PreviousNext

Return to General