Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: National Football League

07 Nov 2017 23:20

I don't know who I should be more impressed with, the Eagles or Rams. Both teams playing really well. The Rams crushed the Giants. Yes the Giants have fallen apart this season, but still, the Rams are looking mighty tough at the moment. Their offense is booming. The Eagles as well.

It was refreshing to see the the Lions beat the Packers, even without Rodgers.

What a disappointing game for the Seahawks. This loss could haunt them later on, whether it's for the wild card or for home field advantage. Walsh misses three field goals, 138 yards worth of penalties, one too many drops (ok, it was wet, so they have a bit of an excuse there...), they moved the ball better than the Redskins (almost 200 yards more in total offense and more possession-naturally...) and they lost. That last score for the Skins was so unlike the Seattle D that everyone has admired the last 6 seasons. Long drive that hardly took much time. They have a short turnaround now with the Cards (on the road) this Thursday. Could be two losses in a row if they aren't careful. I think they need to win this next game. It's crucial, because if they lose again and the Rams win, that's two games to the good for the Rams and despite the Seahawks having an easier schedule, it's more pressure on them.
BullsFan22

08 Nov 2017 13:04

BullsFan22 wrote:I don't know who I should be more impressed with, the Eagles or Rams. Both teams playing really well. The Rams crushed the Giants. Yes the Giants have fallen apart this season, but still, the Rams are looking mighty tough at the moment. Their offense is booming. The Eagles as well.

What a disappointing game for the Seahawks. This loss could haunt them later on, whether it's for the wild card or for home field advantage. Walsh misses three field goals, 138 yards worth of penalties, one too many drops (ok, it was wet, so they have a bit of an excuse there...), they moved the ball better than the Redskins (almost 200 yards more in total offense and more possession-naturally...) and they lost. That last score for the Skins was so unlike the Seattle D that everyone has admired the last 6 seasons. Long drive that hardly took much time. They have a short turnaround now with the Cards (on the road) this Thursday. Could be two losses in a row if they aren't careful. I think they need to win this next game. It's crucial, because if they lose again and the Rams win, that's two games to the good for the Rams and despite the Seahawks having an easier schedule, it's more pressure on them.

Has Walsh still got a job ? He didn't just miss, he missed by miles. He seemed to be rattled after missing the first one. Redskins got away with one. I can't see the Cardinals beating the Hawks at all. The Cardinals are probably a season away from doing what the 49ers are currently doing with the rebuild. McVay certainly has the Rams offense firing, I was actually hoping the 49ers signed him instead of Shanahan, he has certainly turned Goff around this year and Gurley is back to his best as well after a mediocre season last year.
movingtarget
Veteran

08 Nov 2017 17:15

movingtarget wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:I don't know who I should be more impressed with, the Eagles or Rams. Both teams playing really well. The Rams crushed the Giants. Yes the Giants have fallen apart this season, but still, the Rams are looking mighty tough at the moment. Their offense is booming. The Eagles as well.

Has Walsh still got a job ? He didn't just miss, he missed by miles. He seemed to be rattled after missing the first one. Redskins got away with one. I can't see the Cardinals beating the Hawks at all. The Cardinals are probably a season away from doing what the 49ers are currently doing with the rebuild. McVay certainly has the Rams offense firing, I was actually hoping the 49ers signed him instead of Shanahan, he has certainly turned Goff around this year and Gurley is back to his best as well after a mediocre season last year.

Definately the Eagles and Wentz are a team to be impressed with, but I think even more so for the Rams because not only is the team and Goff doing so much better, they have done it in the first year under the new coaching staff (McVey).

As for Seattle's kicker, he still has a job if only by a thread. The short week (3 days, M-Tu-W) may have been the only thing keeping that thread intact though. If he struggles Thursday night vs the Cards then with the longer week ahead I won't be surprised if they cut him.

As for Seattle in general, they might still be fine depending on the next 3 games. I was more interested in what Pete Carroll had to say about the offensive line play, in particular about the penalties (5 total in the last game that particularly troubled Pete). Pete was positive when discussing LT (Brown- very consistent) and LG (Posic- worked well with Brown), but harsh on the right side (knowing when to release from blocks when Russ starts running around). Pete said he's surprised this group is not farther along in that respect. That comment is aimed at the players but also line coach Tom Cable.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

09 Nov 2017 02:14

on3m@n@rmy wrote:...I think even more so for the Rams because not only is the team and Goff doing so much better, they have done it in the first year under the new coaching staff (McVey)...

so either the new coaching set up is awesome, OR the side had the talent and wasn't that far off doing well, but was completely mismanaged under Fisher...
They've made quite a few acquisitions, and for it to gel so well so soon suggests that McVay really did his homework in what holes needed to be plugged. Watkins and Kupp as a prime examples, although he made some good pick ups in the backroom too... That said, it also seems fairly clear that the rest really weren't being led properly by Fisher, and just needed pushing in the right direction/way to really preform well together
User avatar Archibald

09 Nov 2017 05:58

Archibald wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:...I think even more so for the Rams because not only is the team and Goff doing so much better, they have done it in the first year under the new coaching staff (McVey)...

so either the new coaching set up is awesome, OR the side had the talent and wasn't that far off doing well, but was completely mismanaged under Fisher...
They've made quite a few acquisitions, and for it to gel so well so soon suggests that McVay really did his homework in what holes needed to be plugged. Watkins and Kupp as a prime examples, although he made some good pick ups in the backroom too... That said, it also seems fairly clear that the rest really weren't being led properly by Fisher, and just needed pushing in the right direction/way to really preform well together

Well said. I see it as both acquisitions and new coaching as reasons for the turnaround. Kupp was perhaps the steal of the draft. Upgrades to the OL were important to both the running and passing games. So offensive talent has improved since Fisher. Now, would the defensive-minded Fisher made the same upgrades to offensive players? Meh, it's just speculation but probably not. But even if Fisher had recognized and gone after those offensive upgrades I do not think he would have gotten the most out of Goff as the offensive-minded McVey has.

And as for Fisher, the way the Rams offense and Goff are performing at the moment, if I was a GM I would not touch Fisher for a HC job. But I can see Fisher as a defensive coordinator.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

09 Nov 2017 06:08

jmdirt wrote:http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21342623/jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-threatens-sue-nfl-roger-goodell

Not that I like Goodell, but is Jones simply off his rocker? Wouldn't he essentially be suing the owners? Per the article:
Jones is exploring whether a requirement that two-thirds of owners must approve a commissioner's contract could be increased to three-fourths of owners.
This implies Jones would try to buck the owners if they approved Goodell's contract. The backlash to Jones is that Jones ends up on the bad side of the majority of team owners. I don't see that as a healthy situation for Jerry to be in.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

09 Nov 2017 06:34

Listened to a very interesting situation discussed on Cowherd today. It starts with a list of NFL head coaches who may be on the bubble. Such as Browns HC Hue Jackson, who has about 30 years coaching experience, 16 of which has been since 2001 in the NFL. Now keep in mind, the Browns organization once fired Bill Belichick who was their head coach from 1991-95. Browns and wise organizational decision making is a good oxymoron. The point Colin Cowherd made was: "BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU FIRE AN NFL HEAD COACH, BECAUSE WHO ARE YOU GOING TO REPLACE HIM WITH". The interesting part is why be careful. Over the past 10 years, college head coaches are getting paid as equal or better than many NFL head coaches, and for less stress and headache. Alabama HC Sabin: $9M/year, Washington Huskies Chris Petersen: ~$5M. So, less incentive for coaches to jump from college to NFL, and more incentive for NFL coordinators to jump to college HC positions. The result, a decrease in the talent pool for NFL HC positions.

Other than that, the Browns would be fools to axe Hue Jackson at this point. So, I won't be surprised if that happens next off-season.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

09 Nov 2017 10:48

Saban: 11.1 million. Not bad for a job where the nation's top recruits come knocking at your door. Lol.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/
Nomad

09 Nov 2017 12:46

Packers have waived Bennett and are saying he failed to disclose a medical condition

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000874179/article/martellus-bennett-released-by-green-bay-packers
User avatar Catwhoorg

09 Nov 2017 13:06

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Listened to a very interesting situation discussed on Cowherd today. It starts with a list of NFL head coaches who may be on the bubble. Such as Browns HC Hue Jackson, who has about 30 years coaching experience, 16 of which has been since 2001 in the NFL. Now keep in mind, the Browns organization once fired Bill Belichick who was their head coach from 1991-95. Browns and wise organizational decision making is a good oxymoron. The point Colin Cowherd made was: "BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU FIRE AN NFL HEAD COACH, BECAUSE WHO ARE YOU GOING TO REPLACE HIM WITH". The interesting part is why be careful. Over the past 10 years, college head coaches are getting paid as equal or better than many NFL head coaches, and for less stress and headache. Alabama HC Sabin: $9M/year, Washington Huskies Chris Petersen: ~$5M. So, less incentive for coaches to jump from college to NFL, and more incentive for NFL coordinators to jump to college HC positions. The result, a decrease in the talent pool for NFL HC positions.

Other than that, the Browns would be fools to axe Hue Jackson at this point. So, I won't be surprised if that happens next off-season.

Someone will pay for the recent transfer charade but not the coach. I think Jackson will get another season. Shanahan will get another season to at least show some improvement while the Giants coach could be in serious trouble as that was unexpected unlike the Browns and 49ers. A few others are probably on the borderline such as the coaches from the Bengals and the Colts.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 Nov 2017 15:26

Nomad wrote:Saban: 11.1 million. Not bad for a job where the nation's top recruits come knocking at your door. Lol.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

Oops. My bad. It was Michigan's Harbaugh at ~$9M.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

10 Nov 2017 02:51

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
Archibald wrote:

Well said. I see it as both acquisitions and new coaching as reasons for the turnaround. Kupp was perhaps the steal of the draft. Upgrades to the OL were important to both the running and passing games. So offensive talent has improved since Fisher. Now, would the defensive-minded Fisher made the same upgrades to offensive players? Meh, it's just speculation but probably not. But even if Fisher had recognized and gone after those offensive upgrades I do not think he would have gotten the most out of Goff as the offensive-minded McVey has.

And as for Fisher, the way the Rams offense and Goff are performing at the moment, if I was a GM I would not touch Fisher for a HC job. But I can see Fisher as a defensive coordinator.

I doubt Fisher would have picked up Greg Olson - QB coach - who's got to be a big part of helping Goff. And Olson's not new to getting QB's to shine - Bortles and Carr being two of them.
Likely that Lafleur's had a hand in Goff's rise too, and not someone that Fisher may have brought in either.

Can see Fisher heading in that direction too. He's definitely not a HC, but agree with you on the defensive coordinator.
On the topic of defensive coordinators, McVay bringing in Wade Phillips wasn't exactly a bad move. Suggests he (McVay) isn't purely about offense?
User avatar Archibald

10 Nov 2017 08:05

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/aaron-hernandez-suffered-from-most-severe-cte-ever-found-in-a-person-his-age/2017/11/09/fa7cd204-c57b-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html
Aaron Hernandez suffered the most severe case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy ever discovered in a person his age, damage that would have significantly affected his decision-making, judgment and cognition, researchers at Boston University revealed at a medical conference Thursday.

Ann McKee, the head of BU’s CTE Center, which has studied the disease caused by repetitive brain trauma for more than a decade, called Hernandez’s brain “one of the most significant contributions to our work” because of the brain’s pristine condition and the rare opportunity to study the disease in a 27-year-old.

Hernandez, a former New England Patriots tight end, hanged himself with a bedsheet in April in a Massachusetts prison while serving a life sentence for the murder of Odin Lloyd in 2013.
There were abnormal, large holes in parts of Hernandez’s brain.
Rød pølse - Breakfast of Champions!
"The president is one large S.T.D., and if you’re in close proximity you’re going to get tainted by it.”
User avatar Robert5091

10 Nov 2017 16:30

Sherman out for the season after rupturing the Achilles tendon that has been bothering him all season. That is such a loss for the Seahawks and first and foremost devastating for Sherman. I hope he has a successful surgery and comes back strong next season! The team will miss his presence, though I think it's not the end of the world for them. However, the injuries are adding up. It seems like half of the team is carrying some sort of injury and the other half is battered and bruised. A lot has been said about axing TNF. I think it should have been axed a while ago. Whether you have injuries or not, that is simply not enough time to recover and get ready. I never played a competitive American football game in my life, so I have no idea how it feels with all the banging, tackling, pulling, but to me, Sherman should have sat this game out. It's a short week, you have an Achilles problem that's been bothering you all season, was it really worth it to get out there against the Cards? Yes he played well all things considered, but I'd rather him miss one game than the entire season.
BullsFan22

Re:

10 Nov 2017 18:14

Robert5091 wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/aaron-hernandez-suffered-from-most-severe-cte-ever-found-in-a-person-his-age/2017/11/09/fa7cd204-c57b-11e7-afe9-4f60b5a6c4a0_story.html
Aaron Hernandez suffered the most severe case of chronic traumatic encephalopathy ever discovered in a person his age, damage that would have significantly affected his decision-making, judgment and cognition, researchers at Boston University revealed at a medical conference Thursday.

Ann McKee, the head of BU’s CTE Center, which has studied the disease caused by repetitive brain trauma for more than a decade, called Hernandez’s brain “one of the most significant contributions to our work” because of the brain’s pristine condition and the rare opportunity to study the disease in a 27-year-old.

Hernandez, a former New England Patriots tight end, hanged himself with a bedsheet in April in a Massachusetts prison while serving a life sentence for the murder of Odin Lloyd in 2013.
There were abnormal, large holes in parts of Hernandez’s brain.

That news came out several months ago, so I'm not sure why the WP presented it like its new info. As we discussed here in September, he's a sample size of one. Did he get it from years of football, a few huge hits in fb, a car accident, was he genetically programmed to degenerate like this? Etc, etc...
jmdirt

12 Nov 2017 13:30

movingtarget
Veteran

12 Nov 2017 15:35

So SEA might be in trouble for not following the concussion protocol with R. Wilson Thursday night. The issue I have with this is that the guy who sent him off of the field is not a medical professional. Yes, I want the officials to be aware of player safety/health, but that was not a hit that should have raised too much concern. Initial impact and most of the force was to the chest, and then the top of the helmet hit his chin*. If it would have been a direct hit to the chin, there would have been blood. Plus, if it was significant enough to send RW off of the field, shouldn't Walt throw his flag?

*Part of what made it look worse from WA's perspective I think, is that RW's helmet got pushed up because his face mask obviously made contact with the top of KD's helmet too .

Just to be clear, I'm not claiming to be a medical professional either, nor can I diagnose from watching the hit on TV/PC.
jmdirt

Re:

12 Nov 2017 15:59

Using his house flipping analogy, The NFL gets players in various states of 'readiness', and should develop them accordingly. IMO the NFL has failed at that (in general, some teams obviously do better than others). Teams go into the draft looking for a mansion that just needs a good cleaning. There aren't too many of those in any draft. When teams get fixer uppers, they don't develop them, they just flip them. Plus, the talking heads like to talk about past draft classes like they knew the hidden gems would be good...I call BS on that. In 2020 we might be talking about how amazing the 2018 class is.

FYI: It was just last year that 'we' were talking about how pathetic it was that Goff and Wentz were the best QBs in the draft. Plus, Dak Prescott came out of that draft too. Three top QBs in one draft...that's amazing for such a weak class huh?! :eek: :rolleyes:
Last edited by jmdirt on 13 Nov 2017 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

13 Nov 2017 00:33

Giants coach might be in trouble after losing to the almighty 49ers ! Eli Manning should retire.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General