Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re: National Football League

30 Apr 2017 02:04

Might just have to become a Raiders fan:
https://twitter.com/RAIDERS/status/858433795325931521?s=09

I agree the best sense is to keep Britt at center. On tape Pocic does nice job of getting to second level.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

30 Apr 2017 11:18

So have the Seahawks picked up some O lineman or have they turned their heads the other way, again? Benign neglect, perhaps? Stubbornness?

They recently released their schedule for the 2017 season and I don't think it's that bad, apart from the fact that they are not at home for an extended period of time, it's essentially like a european football schedule where you are H, A, H, A, etc. Another bummer is that it's another season where they get an early BYE week.
BullsFan22

30 Apr 2017 16:05

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Might just have to become a Raiders fan:
https://twitter.com/RAIDERS/status/858433795325931521?s=09

I agree the best sense is to keep Britt at center. On tape Pocic does nice job of getting to second level.

I've liked the Raiders on-off-on-off-on... for 30 years. Not based on their record so much as who is playing for them or style they are playing. I've enjoyed them recently, and look forward to this year.

Sea picked an OT in the 6th round. I don't know anything about him so I'll research later. They still need to get a starter in the summer trade window.
jmdirt

30 Apr 2017 17:16

@ BullsFan & jmdirt: this was an off year in draft for me. I usually try to find scouting reports and watch tape of top 5 or so prospects in my team's needs. This generally means I'm familiar with prospects at other positions as well. I did not do that this year. So I was not aware of SEA 2nd rounder C/G Pocic or 6th rounder T Justin Senior from Miss State {6’5, 331 lbs, 34” arms, 10.25” hands, 5.55 sec 40-dash, 23” vertical, 98” broadjump, 8.19 three-cone drill == NOT ATHLETIC! Opposite what Seahawks usually look for at OL}. His playing weight was around 300 lbs, so this weight gain has led one Hawk exec to publicly question whether he WANTS to play in the NFL. So, WHY DRAFT HIM???! Struggled in Senior Bowl, low ceiling. This is the one Seattle pick I just do not understand.

There's more, nfl .com:
Senior has long arms and strong hands, but his lack of bend and inconsistent footwork could cripple his NFL cause if he doesn't improve them. Senior is a right tackle only who has three years of experience against talented, SEC defensive ends but he struggled badly at times in the Senior Bowl. His size could get him drafted, but he has some work to do before ever hitting an NFL field.

That said, I would not call lack of Seattle's attention in draft on OL neglect. Because this was deep defensive draft, where Seattle had big needs, so rightly spent most of their picks on the defensive side.

As for Pocic, many experts did not like the pick. But due to limitations od Robinson (footwork, slow feet) and Lamp (interior guy only) I understand the Pocic pick. Plus Pocic is athletic who plays multiple positions, as has been said here already.

More to say but that's it for now.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

30 Apr 2017 20:35

Here is the rest. Walter Football gives Chicago an F Gade in the draft. It might not be quite that bad, as their grading is sometimes questioable, but I'd agree it was a poor draft for the Bears. Here is what Walt's had to say:
Goals Entering the 2017 NFL Draft: The Bears spent a ton of money on Mike Glennon, so why would they spend a first-round on a pedestrian quarterback prospect? Glennon is not the answer, but neither is Mitchell Trubisky or Deshaun Watson. Chicago has to add talent to its secondary, receiving corps and offensive tackle group.

2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments: This section is misleading because it says "2017 NFL Draft Accomplishments." The Bears didn't accomplish anything outside of setting their franchise back five years.

I can't believe how bad Chicago's draft was. Of the five picks the team made, three earned Millen grades. I can't say this for certain, but I'm almost confident that it's the highest percentage (60%) of Millen grades I've given to one team for any draft class. Thus, Chicago may have obtained the worst prospective NFL Draft class of all time.

The disaster began early when the Bears allowed the 49ers to con them into trading up to No. 2. They then made the mistake that numerous incompetent teams have made over the years, as they reached for a middling quarterback prospect over a superior talent. This has always backfired. Take a look at some examples from this decade alone:

- The Jaguars picked Blaine Gabbert over J.J. Watt
- The Titans picked Jake Locker over J.J. Watt and Tyron Smith
- The Vikings picked Christian Ponder over Robert Quinn
- The Dolphins picked Ryan Tannehill over Luke Kuechly
- The Bills picked E.J. Manuel over Tyler Eifert
- The Jaguars picked Blake Bortles over Khalil Mack

There are many more examples of this, so shame on the Bears for not learning from the mistakes that incompetent front offices have made over the years.

This is the easiest "F" team grade I've ever given. I'm not even naming it a Millen. It's that bad.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

09 May 2017 15:29

Meanwhile, both Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III remain free agents, with no talk of them signing with anyone. This is pretty shocking considering how weak this draft class was. Talk among 49er staff is what others have been saying, Kaepernick may have a better career as an activist than football player.

I can see that I guess. But I am a bit surprised that RG3 hasn't found a home, at least as a backup.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708434-colin-kaepernick-may-prefer-activism-to-nfl-career-according-to-49ers-staffers

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/15/nfl-colin-kaepernick-robert-griffin-iii-free-agent-quarterbacks
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

09 May 2017 15:43

on3m@n@rmy wrote:@ BullsFan & jmdirt: this was an off year in draft for me. I usually try to find scouting reports and watch tape of top 5 or so prospects in my team's needs. This generally means I'm familiar with prospects at other positions as well. I did not do that this year. So I was not aware of SEA 2nd rounder C/G Pocic or 6th rounder T Justin Senior from Miss State {6’5, 331 lbs, 34” arms, 10.25” hands, 5.55 sec 40-dash, 23” vertical, 98” broadjump, 8.19 three-cone drill == NOT ATHLETIC! Opposite what Seahawks usually look for at OL}. His playing weight was around 300 lbs, so this weight gain has led one Hawk exec to publicly question whether he WANTS to play in the NFL. So, WHY DRAFT HIM???! Struggled in Senior Bowl, low ceiling. This is the one Seattle pick I just do not understand.

There's more, nfl .com:
Senior has long arms and strong hands, but his lack of bend and inconsistent footwork could cripple his NFL cause if he doesn't improve them. Senior is a right tackle only who has three years of experience against talented, SEC defensive ends but he struggled badly at times in the Senior Bowl. His size could get him drafted, but he has some work to do before ever hitting an NFL field.

That said, I would not call lack of Seattle's attention in draft on OL neglect. Because this was deep defensive draft, where Seattle had big needs, so rightly spent most of their picks on the defensive side.

As for Pocic, many experts did not like the pick. But due to limitations od Robinson (footwork, slow feet) and Lamp (interior guy only) I understand the Pocic pick. Plus Pocic is athletic who plays multiple positions, as has been said here already.

More to say but that's it for now.

Seattle picked up Mike Davis after the 49ers cut him. Good luck with that.................49ers have been releasing quite a few players. Patton ended up with the Jets, Draughn with the Giants. Harris has been cut so most of their RBs from 2016 have gone. Only Hyde has survived from last year.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

09 May 2017 15:51

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Meanwhile, both Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III remain free agents, with no talk of them signing with anyone. This is pretty shocking considering how weak this draft class was. Talk among 49er staff is what others have been saying, Kaepernick may have a better career as an activist than football player.

I can see that I guess. But I am a bit surprised that RG3 hasn't found a home, at least as a backup.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2708434-colin-kaepernick-may-prefer-activism-to-nfl-career-according-to-49ers-staffers

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/03/15/nfl-colin-kaepernick-robert-griffin-iii-free-agent-quarterbacks

With Romo and Cutler gone to the media if Kaep doesn't pick up something before the beginning of the season the murmurs of blacklisting are going to get a lot louder ! I actually think both he and RGIII will pick up something but maybe taking a pay cut in the process and with injuries as well even Gabbert could pick up a job. Ponder probably won't as he is older and has not started a comp game for a long time. Wonder if the Browns will keep Osweiler ? Some people think the Browns or the Cowboys as a back up could be good fits for Kaep. I actually thought it might have been the Jets. Garropolo looks like he is staying put.
movingtarget
Veteran

09 May 2017 16:56

I believe the Browns will hold onto Osweiller and were sincere when they said they expected him to compete for the starting job. Here's the thing, they have 4 QB's on the roster. Osweiller, Kessler, Hogan, and now Deshone Kizer. Assuming none go on IR, are the Browns going to dress three QBs? If so, do they let Hogan or Kessler to the practice squad?

I think both RG3 and Kaep may get signed, I'm just surprised how far RG3 has fallen, when it looked like he had more potential to be a drop back QB who moves with the pocket, and he strikes me as a smart guy who knew he had to be more of a pocket QB. Maybe his habits are too ingrained? We saw that often with Kaep and even RG3 some last season.

I'd take Gabbert over Ponder for certain, if only because he has a better arm. Gabbert is also somewhat mobile, but his accuracy and decision making need work. He still strikes me as a capable back up QB in this league.

Agree Garapollo is staying put. He can sign a fat check next season, after the Pats repeat as SB champions.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re: Re:

09 May 2017 22:56

movingtarget wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:Meanwhile, both Colin Kaepernick and Robert Griffin III remain free agents, with no talk of them signing with anyone. This is pretty shocking considering how weak this draft class was. Talk among 49er staff is what others have been saying, Kaepernick may have a better career as an activist than football player.

With Romo and Cutler gone to the media if Kaep doesn't pick up something before the beginning of the season the murmurs of blacklisting are going to get a lot louder ! I actually think both he and RGIII will pick up something but maybe taking a pay cut in the process and with injuries as well even Gabbert could pick up a job. Ponder probably won't as he is older and has not started a comp game for a long time. Wonder if the Browns will keep Osweiler ? Some people think the Browns or the Cowboys as a back up could be good fits for Kaep. I actually thought it might have been the Jets. Garropolo looks like he is staying put.

GMF with Nate Burleson had guests Willie McGinnest and (Real) Mike Robinson on this morning to discuss unsigned offensive free agents. That threesome could not believe Kaep is still unsigned, owing to the fact he at least SHOULD BE considered among the top 64 QBs in the league (with 64 including backups to the 32 starting QBs). Like him or not, his performance last season should justify a contract, even as a backup.'' I think he will be signed before next season, but who knows. Each team's management must decide if the distractions everyone fears is worth the risk. Besides the Anthem sitting distraction, which to me is a BS reason to not sign Kaep, there is the alleged locker-room D-Bag distraction, which if true is a more legit reason to not sign the guy.

In addition to Kaep, that GMF group discussed unsigned defensive free agents. Reevis was the one they felt should sign with some team soon. They said Reevis played heavy last season, and has worked out since then and is lighter now. While they agreed Reevis cannot cover all the young gun WRs today man-to-man, many of whom are bigger and stronger than Reevis, he would be able to cover many WRs man-to-man, and then against certain WRs the defense should be able use Reevis in zone coverage to help him out. Basically, they said Reevis has value in the right defensive system. I agree.

Then, that GMF group also talked about the Bears draft move from #3 overall to #2 overall to select Trubisky, and whether that was a good move or not. This has been discussed much already, here and elsewhere, but McGinnest had an interesting point. He said during that moment of the draft, he was confused why the Bears felt they needed to move up from #3 overall to #2. Willie did not think the Bears needed to move up to #2 overall. If so, that makes the Bears move that much worse. Nomad would probably disagree, haha.

I'm not sure what to think about RGIII. Maybe there is some insider news (e.g. amongst GMs) that is causing GMs across the league to pass on RGIII. I don't think there would be any "bad guy" rumors going on. A wild guess might be that RGIII is playing scared because of his knee injury and has not gotten over it, affecting his performance.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

09 May 2017 23:06

Adrian Peterson, Eddie Lacey, and Marshaun Lynch. Of those 3, who do you think will be more likely to have a rebound season?

Offensive lines creating lanes for AP and Lacey are not as good as the Raiders OL. And the Saints line just took a bit of a hit with center Max Unger injuring his foot recently, and will be out until day-1 of the regular season. I must give the nod to BeastMode. Now that Lynch's core injury (abdominal fixed by surgery) has had a year to heal, he could return and take the league by storm with that OL. If that happens, this will make ALPE a happy man. Just guessing.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

10 May 2017 00:14

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Adrian Peterson, Eddie Lacey, and Marshaun Lynch. Of those 3, who do you think will be more likely to have a rebound season?

Offensive lines creating lanes for AP and Lacey are not as good as the Raiders OL. And the Saints line just took a bit of a hit with center Max Unger injuring his foot recently, and will be out until day-1 of the regular season. I must give the nod to BeastMode. Now that Lynch's core injury (abdominal fixed by surgery) has had a year to heal, he could return and take the league by storm with that OL. If that happens, this will make ALPE a happy man. Just guessing.

Lacey has the contract to keep him in line and he is a decent player. If the weight can be controlled he should do alright. The other two are much bigger injury risks even though a lot more talented. Many people seem to think that Peterson is not the player he was and has lost a yard or two in speed which won't help.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re: Re:

10 May 2017 00:17

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

GMF with Nate Burleson had guests Willie McGinnest and (Real) Mike Robinson on this morning to discuss unsigned offensive free agents. That threesome could not believe Kaep is still unsigned, owing to the fact he at least SHOULD BE considered among the top 64 QBs in the league (with 64 including backups to the 32 starting QBs). Like him or not, his performance last season should justify a contract, even as a backup.'' I think he will be signed before next season, but who knows. Each team's management must decide if the distractions everyone fears is worth the risk. Besides the Anthem sitting distraction, which to me is a BS reason to not sign Kaep, there is the alleged locker-room D-Bag distraction, which if true is a more legit reason to not sign the guy.

In addition to Kaep, that GMF group discussed unsigned defensive free agents. Reevis was the one they felt should sign with some team soon. They said Reevis played heavy last season, and has worked out since then and is lighter now. While they agreed Reevis cannot cover all the young gun WRs today man-to-man, many of whom are bigger and stronger than Reevis, he would be able to cover many WRs man-to-man, and then against certain WRs the defense should be able use Reevis in zone coverage to help him out. Basically, they said Reevis has value in the right defensive system. I agree.

Then, that GMF group also talked about the Bears draft move from #3 overall to #2 overall to select Trubisky, and whether that was a good move or not. This has been discussed much already, here and elsewhere, but McGinnest had an interesting point. He said during that moment of the draft, he was confused why the Bears felt they needed to move up from #3 overall to #2. Willie did not think the Bears needed to move up to #2 overall. If so, that makes the Bears move that much worse. Nomad would probably disagree, haha.

I'm not sure what to think about RGIII. Maybe there is some insider news (e.g. amongst GMs) that is causing GMs across the league to pass on RGIII. I don't think there would be any "bad guy" rumors going on. A wild guess might be that RGIII is playing scared because of his knee injury and has not gotten over it, affecting his performance.

Maybe being released by the team that finished in last place is not helping RGIII. But from what I heard, his actual performances were improving since his last injury.
movingtarget
Veteran

10 May 2017 02:30

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Adrian Peterson, Eddie Lacey, and Marshaun Lynch. Of those 3, who do you think will be more likely to have a rebound season?

It depends on how we define "rebound" and how their teams use each of them. If Lacy can stay around 230, he can have a 1,200 yard season as an every down back. AP will likely be more of a special situation, one down back (unless he gets rolling and they go with him). Beast Mode with likely be a third and goal, one down back.
jmdirt

Re:

10 May 2017 12:03

Semper Fidelis wrote:Anyone seen this? Wonderlic scores leaked.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/nfl-quarterback-wonderlic-scores-matter-a-great-deal-042417

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/04/25/wonderlic-scores-revealed-nfl-draft-prospects-myles-garrett-patrick-mahomes

These guys are dumber than a box of rocks.

John Ross WR Washington 16
Joe Mixon RB Oklahoma 12
Dion Dawkins T Temple 12
Leonard Fournette RB LSU 11
Dalvin Cook RB Florida State 11
Reuben Foster LB Alabama 9
Garett Bolles T Utah 9

....hmmm....interesting article....some of the nuts and bolts below...

Median score by profession[edit]

Listed are a sample of median scores by profession on the Wonderlic test from 1983. The scores are listed in descending numerical order, and professions with the same score have been alphabetized.[13]

Systems analyst – 32
Chemist – 31
Electrical engineer – 30
Engineer – 29
Programmer – 29
Accountant – 28
Executive – 28
Reporter – 28
Teacher – 28
Copywriter – 27
Investment analyst – 27
Librarian – 27
Electronics technician – 26
Salesperson – 25
Secretary – 24
Dispatcher – 23
Drafter – 23
Electrician – 23
Nurse – 23
Bank teller – 22
Cashier – 21
Firefighter – 21
Clerical worker – 21
Machinist – 21
Receptionist – 21
Train conductor – 21
Craftsman – 18
Security guard – 17
Welder – 17
Warehouseman – 15
Janitor – 14

Average score in the NFL by position[edit]

Though used in a variety of settings, the Wonderlic test has become best known for its use in the NFL's Scouting Combine. According to Paul Zimmerman's The New Thinking Man's Guide to Pro Football, the average score of a NFL player according to position is the following:
Offensive tackle – 26
Center – 25
Quarterback – 24
Guard – 23
Tight end – 22
Safety – 19
Linebacker – 19
Cornerback – 18
Wide receiver – 17
Fullback – 17
Halfback – 16[24]

An average football player usually scores around 20 points.[7] Most teams want at least 21 for a quarterback.[25]

Some notable players who scored well below the average include:
Morris Claiborne – 4 (first-round pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, lowest score ever known by an NFL player)[26]
Mario Manningham – 6 (third-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft)
Frank Gore – 6 (third-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft)[27]
Tavon Austin – 7 (first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft)[28]
Terrelle Pryor – 7 (third-round pick in the 2011 NFL Supplemental Draft)[29]
Carlos Hyde – 9 (second round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft)[30]
Travis Henry – 9 (second-round pick in the 2001 NFL Draft)[31]
Charles Rogers – 10 (second overall pick in the 2003 NFL Draft)[28]
Cordarrelle Patterson – 11 (first-round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft)[28]

Some notable players who scored well above the average include:
Aaron Rodgers – 35 (first-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft)[29]
Sam Bradford – 36 (first overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft)
Colin Kaepernick – 37 (second-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft)
Andrew Luck – 37 (first overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft)
Tony Romo – 37 (undrafted in 2003)[29]
Matthew Stafford – 38 (first overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft)[32]
Eli Manning – 39 (first overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft)[29]
Alex Smith – 40 (first overall pick in the 2005 NFL Draft)[33]
Carson Wentz – 40 (second overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft)
Calvin Johnson – 41 (first-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft)[34]
Blaine Gabbert – 42 (first-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft)[35]
Eric Decker – 43 (third-round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft)[36]
Greg McElroy – 43 (seventh-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft)[37]
John Urschel – 43 (fifith-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft); began working on a PhD in math at MIT in 2016[38][39]
Matt Birk – 46 (sixth-round pick in the 1998 NFL Draft)[40]
Ryan Fitzpatrick – 48 (seventh-round pick in the 2005 NFL Draft; finished test in a record nine minutes)[41]
Ben Watson – 48 (first-round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft)[42]
Mike Mamula – 49 (first-round pick in the 1995 NFL Draft; second highest score ever reported)[43]
Pat McInally – 50 (fifth-round pick in the 1975 NFL Draft; only player known to have gotten a perfect score

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

10 May 2017 12:54

I know that there is a thread for this topic, but since I've heard the comish say it twice now: Goodell says that the discussion of mj use (they were discussing pain management) in the NFL stops with smoke because no healthy human wants to inhale smoke. I'm not a source of information on the subject, but I 'polled' friends and family who do use and none of them smoke it. They either use oils to make consumables or they vaporize it (THC steam). Obviously I have no idea how the players consume it, but if oils and steam are effective that kills Roger's smoke stance.

One of the guys who I asked about this offered me a little piece of "gummy" candy that has 15 mg of THC. He said that one or two of them in the evening relieve his pain and allow him to sleep through the night. FYI: I passed on the THC candy, but if its ever legal in ID, I will certainly consider it as an option.

EDIT: Idaho will likely be the 55th state to legalize THC. :rolleyes:
jmdirt

11 May 2017 00:16

jmdirt wrote:

It depends on how we define "rebound" and how their teams use each of them. If Lacy can stay around 230, he can have a 1,200 yard season as an every down back. AP will likely be more of a special situation, one down back (unless he gets rolling and they go with him). Beast Mode with likely be a third and goal, one down back.

First, good thoughts by all above in addition to jmdirt here.

As for BeastMode, it's funny because when I originally heard the preliminary talk that Lynch wanted to return what, months ago it seems, I felt then he may not even make the 53-man roster, let alone just becoming a situational short yardage back. But then I heard what former teammate Mike Robinson said about him this week where he talked about Lynch's abs injury and how that affected a runner of his style (a knee lifter, as Mike put it, that requires a strong core). Mike thinks he can dominate. I will say, at his age, the odds are more against Lynch than for him. But Lynch is one of those guys who can beat the odds, if anybody can. It will be interesting.

@Blutto: super interesting post about W-Scores. No time to comment ATM, but how about UT tackle Boles???
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

11 May 2017 01:27

Disagree on Beast Mode. He'll split carries with the other guys, but he's there to carry a load, and he's no liability on any down.
User avatar red_flanders
Veteran

12 May 2017 13:29

Blaine Gabbert signed to the Cardinals for a one year deal. Three teams have reportedly been asking about Kaep but so far no takers.
movingtarget
Veteran

15 May 2017 15:45

That's not a bad landing spot for Gabbert.

I'm starting to get a little surprised that nearly all the talk on Kaepernick among pundits, and teams it seems, is whether he's going to play again, or do something like run for Congress, when he's clearly stated he wants to play. I noted before I really don't think he'll be a problem for whomever he signs with. Look at it this way, he's never gotten himself into legal trouble, and likely never will. He speaks fairly well, and is soft spoken in his words. He's also stated he plans on standing for future national anthems. So, whomever signs him is going to get some media attention...aimed at a guy who's not going to do much at all. He likely won't say much of anything controversial, won't do anything controversial, let alone illegal, and isn't likely to even play much. This is the kind of 'distraction" a good media department for a team can not only handle, but make use of. I don't see him being an elite starter in this league, but there's no reason he can't be a back-up somewhere.

As to the lack of interest in RG3, I can only guess it's because of his lack of durability.

Meanwhile, Hue Jackson said that the starting QB job in Cleveland is open, but Cody Kessler's to lose. Apparently in the eyes of Browns coaching staff he showed enough consistency last year, and has put his nose to the grindstone in the off-season, Russell Wilson style, and is ready to start. Meaning Brock Osweiller could be on the chopping block, or the most expensive back up in NFL history.

Mitch Trubisky got high praises from John Fox in rookie camp. But this sounds like spin to me after being duped by the 49ers on draft day.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General