Log in:  

Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re:

16 May 2017 00:28

Alpe d'Huez wrote:That's not a bad landing spot for Gabbert.

I'm starting to get a little surprised that nearly all the talk on Kaepernick among pundits, and teams it seems, is whether he's going to play again, or do something like run for Congress, when he's clearly stated he wants to play. I noted before I really don't think he'll be a problem for whomever he signs with. Look at it this way, he's never gotten himself into legal trouble, and likely never will. He speaks fairly well, and is soft spoken in his words. He's also stated he plans on standing for future national anthems. So, whomever signs him is going to get some media attention...aimed at a guy who's not going to do much at all. He likely won't say much of anything controversial, won't do anything controversial, let alone illegal, and isn't likely to even play much. This is the kind of 'distraction" a good media department for a team can not only handle, but make use of. I don't see him being an elite starter in this league, but there's no reason he can't be a back-up somewhere.

As to the lack of interest in RG3, I can only guess it's because of his lack of durability.

Meanwhile, Hue Jackson said that the starting QB job in Cleveland is open, but Cody Kessler's to lose. Apparently in the eyes of Browns coaching staff he showed enough consistency last year, and has put his nose to the grindstone in the off-season, Russell Wilson style, and is ready to start. Meaning Brock Osweiller could be on the chopping block, or the most expensive back up in NFL history.

Mitch Trubisky got high praises from John Fox in rookie camp. But this sounds like spin to me after being duped by the 49ers on draft day.

I agree. Good spot for Gabbert.

Believe it or not, Seattle's HC Pete Carroll said today or yesterday that he and GM Schneider are considering both Kaepernick and Robert Griffin as backup QBs. The problem off the bat will be cap space, which Pete acknowledged. I expected some searching for a QB to take place after backup QB Boyton had his second run-in with the law in the off season, but did not figure they would look at those two. As a Hawk fan, I'd be alright if they brought in either Kaep or RGIII, provided they don't overpay for the backup role. So far Schneider has shown he will not overpay. Question is, would Kaep or RGIII be willing to accept a backup role?

As for Fox on Trubisky, almost all coaches today hand our praises. (Parcells did not. Remember you had to play great consistently for Parcells to start handing out praises, and then only if he thought it would not go to the player's head.) Personally, I don't care for praises handed out like candy. The psychology of it could end up the player performing for the praise, instead of the prize. In modern psychology the aim seems to be more toward acknowledging effort (e.g. "I can see you have been or are working hard."), rather than praising a measurable or a great play.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,571
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

Re:

16 May 2017 00:37

Alpe d'Huez wrote:That's not a bad landing spot for Gabbert.

I'm starting to get a little surprised that nearly all the talk on Kaepernick among pundits, and teams it seems, is whether he's going to play again, or do something like run for Congress, when he's clearly stated he wants to play. I noted before I really don't think he'll be a problem for whomever he signs with. Look at it this way, he's never gotten himself into legal trouble, and likely never will. He speaks fairly well, and is soft spoken in his words. He's also stated he plans on standing for future national anthems. So, whomever signs him is going to get some media attention...aimed at a guy who's not going to do much at all. He likely won't say much of anything controversial, won't do anything controversial, let alone illegal, and isn't likely to even play much. This is the kind of 'distraction" a good media department for a team can not only handle, but make use of. I don't see him being an elite starter in this league, but there's no reason he can't be a back-up somewhere.

As to the lack of interest in RG3, I can only guess it's because of his lack of durability.

Meanwhile, Hue Jackson said that the starting QB job in Cleveland is open, but Cody Kessler's to lose. Apparently in the eyes of Browns coaching staff he showed enough consistency last year, and has put his nose to the grindstone in the off-season, Russell Wilson style, and is ready to start. Meaning Brock Osweiller could be on the chopping block, or the most expensive back up in NFL history.

Mitch Trubisky got high praises from John Fox in rookie camp. But this sounds like spin to me after being duped by the 49ers on draft day.


I agree but Gabbert will be in an off season trial for one of the back up spots with four other QBs so it seems so he isn't a lock but I would be surprised if he couldn't grab one.

As for Kaep some people are blaming the 49ers for all of the conflicting information that is flying around like he has put a figure on the salary he wants or that he is only interested in a starting position or that he could start kneeling again again and so on. According to Stephen Smith, Kaep spoke to him on the phone and none of this is true neither are the rumors of wanting to retire and go into politics. Kaep also said the report that three teams have contacted his agent are also false. No one has contacted either him or his agent about a job. Why the 49ers would want to make a lot of false reports about Kaep makes no sense. They have nothing to gain by it. Kaep opted out, they have an entirely new coaching staff and GM and so many new players, you would think they would be busy giving the team the makeover it's needed or starting to. Kaep is history at the 49ers and Shanahan made it clear a few months ago that he wasn't a QB he was looking at and with the rookie they drafted the QB positions are now filled for 2017 but I am surprised that Kaep has not fielded any interest at all from NFL teams. Maybe some of the rumors are damaging him but the Harbaugh brothers and other high profile NFL or ex NFL personnel have also been speaking out in support of him including Shannon Sharpe and many seem to think it is very strange that he hasn't been signed. At the same time a few NFL analysts have also have also said that they can see why teams wouldn't sign him. This might be more about owners and GMs not wanting him than coaches and if that's the case then he could struggle to find a spot even if QBs start getting injured.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,180
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

16 May 2017 03:52

Update on Lacy:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19388895/eddie-lacy-seattle-seahawks-weighs-253-earns-hefty-55k-bonus

I still say that he needs to be 230-240 to be at his best.
jmdirt
Member
 
Posts: 1,833
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

16 May 2017 05:12

jmdirt wrote:Update on Lacy:
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19388895/eddie-lacy-seattle-seahawks-weighs-253-earns-hefty-55k-bonus

I still say that he needs to be 230-240 to be at his best.

240 would be good wt for him. Carroll does not want him as low as 230. Lacey's contract incentives give him $55K if his wt is under 245 lbs by September-December. His contract's next incentive payout is June - August when he must be under 250 lbs to collect. At Lacey's weigh-in yesterday he weighed 253, so he is already not far from the August goal. He should have no problem making the 245 lb goal. IMO 230 lbs would be a bit too ambitious for his own good, because coach wants him to retain his power, and to hit 230 he'd probably loose some muscle mass in the process.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,571
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

Re: National Football League

19 May 2017 00:33

2020. Nope. That's not my vision. Summer 2020 is when the new rams & bolts stadium will be occupied.
[url]
http://m.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Update-on-LA-Stadium--Entertainment-District-at-Hollywood-Park/ca2bb1fb-c8b0-431a-b457-7bd559a9cbcb[/url]
Delayed
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,571
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

Re: National Football League

20 May 2017 02:49

In case you miss football: Greatest football highlights, ever. 2016 regular season. Just be patient for the dumb ads to pass before the video starts.
https://youtu.be/guPFWfHtz_s
You don't know the power of the dark side.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,571
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

21 May 2017 06:47

movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,180
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: National Football League

22 May 2017 12:07

[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2112479#p2112479]on3m@n@rmy] wrote:2020. Nope. That's not my vision. Summer 2020 is when the new rams & bolts stadium will be occupied.

I'm not going to say this thing will be a bust, or the league will lose money, but this entire rush to Los Angeles seems like it's a hunt for fool's gold.

I really wonder how well, how easily, how excitedly, citizens of LA will support not one, but two new football teams, both of which are likely to be mediocre for some time. And both playing in the same stadium in a geographically enormous city.

I wonder similar about Vegas and the Raiders, which is also fraught with numerous other potential problems, mostly due to outlandish cost.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,841
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re: National Football League

22 May 2017 12:42

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
[url=http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2112479#p2112479]on3m@n@rmy] wrote:2020. Nope. That's not my vision. Summer 2020 is when the new rams & bolts stadium will be occupied.

I'm not going to say this thing will be a bust, or the league will lose money, but this entire rush to Los Angeles seems like it's a hunt for fool's gold.

I really wonder how well, how easily, how excitedly, citizens of LA will support not one, but two new football teams, both of which are likely to be mediocre for some time. And both playing in the same stadium in a geographically enormous city.

I wonder similar about Vegas and the Raiders, which is also fraught with numerous other potential problems, mostly due to outlandish cost.

If both are playoff ready teams with a real shot at the Superbowl it would certainly make the transition smoother. Who know by 2020, maybe they will be. I just can't see Charger fans making the trip into LA. I think that the Vegas Raiders will do well for at least a few years because their games will be an event: trip to Vegas, outlandish new stadium, shows, gambling... Its year three and on that I'm unsure about.
jmdirt
Member
 
Posts: 1,833
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

22 May 2017 14:15


Great interview with Ryan Leaf, who has turned a bunch of negatives into positives.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,571
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

Re: Re:

23 May 2017 05:25

on3m@n@rmy wrote:

Great interview with Ryan Leaf, who has turned a bunch of negatives into positives.


Yeah I think the sporting world especially involving young people who may not make it to the pinnacle could do worse than listen more to some of the people that didn't make it. I think there is a lesson to be learned about post retirement and also about young people not meeting expectations in a cut throat business and then being cut adrift and told to make something of the rest of their lives after their entire life has been devoted to something that nobody has any use for anymore.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,180
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

24 May 2017 01:23

'Tez Kennedy dead at 48...
jmdirt
Member
 
Posts: 1,833
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

24 May 2017 03:38

jmdirt wrote:'Tez Kennedy dead at 48...

Sad. Young. Former teammate Eugene Robinson says he was stunned. There was nothing suspicious reported. Cause of death is unknown yet.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,571
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

24 May 2017 12:35

That is sad. My initial guess is it was somehow weight/size related. Coronary issues, diabetes maybe. Cortez was never one of those shaped type athletes, in fact his footwork was amazing for being such a big guy. But a quick google look at pictures from his HOF entry and elsewhere show he didn't put on that much weight after leaving the NFL.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,841
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England


Re: National Football League

24 May 2017 14:01

Tez was always big-butted and extremely quick for his size. And powerful. He beat linemen with both freakish quickness or power. He was almost always double-teamed, sometimes triple-teamed, and he'd beat those!

Kaep courting has begun. He visits Seattle today. I just don't see him signing with Seattle as he's prolly going to want more money than they have available ($7M cap space). Many feel Seattle would be a good spot for him, and Seattle could really use a solid backup.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2711501-colin-kaepernick-reportedly-expected-to-work-out-for-seahawks-in-free-agency
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,571
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW


25 May 2017 12:33

I don't really care about the new overtime rule, but: one, really five more minutes makes that much difference in fatigue?! Two, did they base the decision on data? The answer is no. Even if they would have, 22 games a pretty small sample size, and of course they didn't do any testing of the players after those games so...they have no data. How about if the game ends in a tie, they bring out the huge Dr. Pepper cans and the QBs do a shootout, whoever gets the most balls in the can in one minutes wins the game. Much less fatigue that way.
jmdirt
Member
 
Posts: 1,833
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

25 May 2017 12:40

User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,841
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

25 May 2017 14:46

Some comments on the rule changes, and ones I'd still like to see implemented:

• Less penalties for celebrations - This is generally good, but remains to be better defined.

• 2 players allowed back from injured reserve - Hooray! Injuries are a serious problem in this league, so any step in that direction is a good one.

• A single roster cut down day - Now teams don't have to go in steps, but from 90 to 53 after the pre-season. I am generally good with this one.

• OT changed from 15 minutes to 10. - It's nice that it may cut down on injures, but that seems really minor. Ties are worse. Here's a novel idea - eliminate punts in OT.

• League loosened standard for GM interviews - I guess this is good.

• Los Angeles Super Bowl moved to 2021 - I'm glad they did it quickly and didn't drag it out.

Rules I'd like to see changed:

1. Clarify the catch rule - If a player has the ball firmly with both hands, or firmly against his body, and both feet on the ground, it's a catch. None of this "football play" nonsense.

2. Make Pass Interference a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down. Not the spot of the foul. If you want to tack on another 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for flagrant PI, so be it. Offensive PI should also be 15 yards.

3. Get rid of flags on goal posts - FGs and XP's are boring. Make kickers judge the wind on their own.

4. Extend both practice and scout squads. Teams should not have to pull players from the street late in the season just to save a few thousand dollars in pay.

5. Move reviews of plays entirely to a central location, not reviewed by referees on the field. Rotate said referees to learn booth officiating over time. MLB does this for the most part.

6. If a play cannot be reviewed and ruled upon within 90 seconds, the ruling stands.

7. Change OT rules in the playoffs to where both teams get the ball once, regardless if the first team scores a TD or not.

8. Change illegal hands to the face from a 5 yard penalty with an automatic first down, to a 10 yard penalty.

9. Don't allow kick-offs to be returned from the end zone, unless the ball first bounces in the field of play.

10. Ruling and arbitration on suspensions taken away from commissioners office, and implemented by a panel of three independent judges. This will require a CBA alteration I believe.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,841
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Back to top