Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

05 Feb 2018 19:38

Half time show: I prefer a normal half time break, not the extended one. Don't change the game in an effort to grab a few people for 30 minutes. Maybe Pepsi sells a few more cans, but the NFL doesn't gain any new fans.

Sorry, I might have typed this before (or several times before).
jmdirt

Re:

05 Feb 2018 19:43

jmdirt wrote:Half time show: I prefer a normal half time break, not the extended one. Don't change the game in an effort to grab a few people for 30 minutes. Maybe Pepsi sells a few more cans, but the NFL doesn't gain any new fans.

And NEVER use MLK to peddle Dodge Ram trucks to the general public.

Disgusting... :(
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

Re: Re:

05 Feb 2018 19:50

Irondan wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Half time show: I prefer a normal half time break, not the extended one. Don't change the game in an effort to grab a few people for 30 minutes. Maybe Pepsi sells a few more cans, but the NFL doesn't gain any new fans.

Don't get me started on adds! They do provide me with plenty of time to get beer/food, and use the can though.
jmdirt

05 Feb 2018 19:59

jmdirt wrote:
Irondan wrote:

Don't get me started on adds! They do provide me with plenty of time to get beer/food, and use the can though.

Most of the ads were rather clever and well produced, but someone made a huge mistake in using Martin Luther King as a backdrop of sorts to sell cars... Pathetic.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

05 Feb 2018 20:06

Irondan wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
Irondan wrote:

Most of the ads were rather clever and well produced, but someone made a huge mistake in using Martin Luther King as a backdrop of sorts to sell cars... Pathetic.

Completely agree. How much Tide do they expect to sell?
jmdirt

05 Feb 2018 20:18

jmdirt wrote:
Irondan wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
Irondan wrote:

Completely agree. How much Tide do they expect to sell?

lol! Lots!

The Tide ads were the best all day.
Darryl Webster wrote:
User avatar Irondan
Administrator

05 Feb 2018 22:42

jmdirt wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:I agree with those who said the game was kind of subdued, even though it was close. It was like we were all waiting for the last 3 minutes to see if Brady could pull the win out, or not. And this time it was just too much to ask of him, though he nearly did it.

Very happy for Nick Foles, who was all but discarded by the league when the Eagles were able to get Sam Bradford, and Nick didn't play so well for the Rams (under Jeff Fisher). He is under contract for next season, and I don't see the Eagles making any decision on him until training camp, at least, to see if Wentz is fully recovered from his ACL tear. But if Wentz is healthy, I don't see Foles taking his job. Then where does he go? Arizona is a good guess, and I'm sure he's be welcome there.

I don't see Brady retiring, Gronk either. I also think Belicheck will find a new AC and DC and the Pats will contend once again. But I have to agree, it's only a matter of time before Brady's age catches up to him. But he is coming off an MVP season, and just threw fro 500 yards and almost won yet another SB. So even if he just slips a little, he'll still probably be one of the best QB's in the league. The reason I don't think Belicheck is retiring is because both coordinators are leaving. If he were retiring, there would have been wind of it internally, and either McDaniels or Patrician would never have been thought of as leaving.

I can perhaps see a coaches decision not starting Malcom Butler if he pissed someone off, or had some vague illness, but once the Eagles started going after Eric Rowe in some situations, why not at least get Butler on the field in nickel packages, at least to make the Eagles think about him?? Dont’a Hightower, and former Pats Jamie Collins, Brandon Browner, and Alfonzo Dennard all said the same in so many words. Butler was upset after the game, but did Tweet later thanking the Pats as a team for giving him an opportunity in the NFL.

I have no idea why Cris Collinsworth, or anyone else questioned the Ertz catch. This is getting absurd at this point. Agree on the Clement catch, being close, but a catch. Props to the refs for sticking with the ruling on the field. Actually, I think the refs did an excellent job all game. Very few penalties, and no real problems. Just some close calls that in the end they got right, on the field.

As to next year's teams to watch, I think the Rams are definitely one of them, the Jags too, probably. Though they could fall back a little, it won't be that far. SF is another team that may not make a serious run next year, isn't far away. I'm curious what Josh McDaniels can do with a completely healthy Andrew Luck in Indy. Ignore rumors saying he'll stay in NE, unless Belicheck does retire, as I said above. Josh was too emotional when HC of Denver a few years back, but I think he's learned a lot since then.

The Chargers and the Saints are two teams that intrigue me in that they both have QBs nearing the end of their career, but who can still really play, with a lot of talented young players. The Saints were a whisker from going to Philly in the NFC championship. I also fully expect Malcom Butler to sign with the Saints in the off season. Similar about the Packers. They are loaded with talent, and will have Aaron Rodgers back. The Viks need to pick a QB, sign him, and move on. My guess is it's Bridgewater, unless he really isn't fully healthy.

One thought too is that we don't know how well Wentz will recover. I hope that he will be back to 100%, but who knows. Indy expected Luck to be back and we know how that went.

McDaniels might not be leaving...
Where do you come up with this BS? Don't you know how to cite anything? It's a done deal with Indy! What do you not understand about that?

http://fox59.com/2018/02/05/colts-josh-mcdaniels-union-still-expected-after-patriots-fall-in-super-bowl/
Nomad

Re:

05 Feb 2018 22:57

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I agree with those who said the game was kind of subdued, even though it was close. It was like we were all waiting for the last 3 minutes to see if Brady could pull the win out, or not. And this time it was just too much to ask of him, though he nearly did it.

Very happy for Nick Foles, who was all but discarded by the league when the Eagles were able to get Sam Bradford, and Nick didn't play so well for the Rams (under Jeff Fisher).

King Boonen wrote:I watched the game, have to say it felt more like a basketball game than a football game. Seemed like both offences looked like they could easily move the ball around and score with every drive. Neither defence seemed to be able to make inroads into the opposition apart from those last couple of plays. Philly especially seemed to have huge amounts of space to move the ball about in or run it.

If NFL ever turns into the NBA where all you have to do is watch the last 5 minutes of the game, then that's about all I'll watch. Honestly, and gladly, I recorded the game and only watched the last quarter live. I too got the feeling like all I needed to watch was the final quarter, and got the feeling the last team to possess the ball with enough time left would win. And that is almost how it turned out.

So what about the lack of defense in the NFL? That might be a poor way to say it. Maybe superiority of offenses is better. While defense on the whole did not win this Super Bowl, basically one defensive play did (the strip-sack fumble recovery by the Eagles). If the Eagles didn't take that possession away from the Pats we may have had a different outcome. The Eagles player who stripped it put it well (like "someone make a play"). With help, he did.

I'm not sure I'm there yet, but am getting the feeling rule changes are needed to make the rules on PI and defensive holding a little more fair, as right now the rules favor offenses. OFC this makes for higher scoring games and games like what we have been seeing for some time, and that is entertaining right? Maybe not if all you need to watch is the last quarter, or last 5 minutes.

More later on Foles.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: National Football League

05 Feb 2018 23:12

Tonton wrote:Bravo Eagles! Great game to watch.

Brady will be back. Belichick? Not so sure. For the first time, he was active in getting his coordinators head coaching jobs. Like he wanted to unload his staff, empty house. NE is not a happy family, as we came to find out.

I think the two Bs will stay together until the glory days are over, maybe one year, two years tops. But somehow I don't see Brady winning another Super Bowl which means he will probably win two !
movingtarget
Veteran

05 Feb 2018 23:23

BullsFan22 wrote:Brady was certain before the game he'd be back for next year. I don't doubt that. People didn't expect them to make it back to the SB this season, perhaps even last season, but they made it and were close to winning again. I don't think his level will drop to a point where he is ineffective and the Patriots become so bad that they don't even make the playoffs, but I do think his level will drop. A 41 year old (at the start of next season) QB that's been around since 2000 will not sustain and will have more dips in his game.

So the question becomes, what will Kraft and the management do in the offseason? Who will they trade, who will they buy to help Brady? They have to improve their offense, because as good as Brady and the offense is, they can't rely on them to always outscore opponents and pray that they'll have possession last...That's what lost them the game.

As far as the other teams are concerned, who knows. The old guard: Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, Baltimore, and a couple other regular contenders have things to work on. The new guard: SF, Minnesota, Philadelphia (yeah, why not put them in here as well??), etc have bright futures. SF, Minnesota, Philly all had quarterback injury issues during the season, but the guys that stepped in did a heck of a job (to put it mildly), so they are interestingly all in the same boat...what to do with the QB's next season? SF is in a more clear position as Jimmy G. is definitely their no 1 and he'll be there for a while, it looks like. Minnesota and Philadelphia have, perhaps, tough choices to make. Ride Keenum and Foles or....? My guess is Wentz will be the primary QB, so not sure if Foles will get the nod. Perhaps he'll like to move somewhere else?? Keenum to me looks like he'll be no 1 in Minnesota, but maybe not...have no idea!!

What about the Rams? What will they do? They should be satisfied with the season they had. Will they make significant moves in the offseason? They have the RB position dialed...

KC? Denver? Raiders? What about that division?

What about the bottom dwellers? Chicago, Cleveland, Dolphins, Jets? Will Buffalo continue to improve or was it pure luck that won them a playoff berth? Lions? Will the Cowboys do anything?

Forgot about the Saints, I think they can be there again next year, as for the Cowboys I am not sold on them and if it doesn't happen for them next year, getting well into the playoffs, I expect their coach will be ousted. Green Bay are another team that is hard to predict. Surely the Browns coach can't last until the end of the next season with a repeat of the previous two. Andrew Luck's future has to be doubtful.

Edelman was a huge loss for the Patriots. Gronk is not the player he was. Cooks injury didn't help either.
movingtarget
Veteran

05 Feb 2018 23:24

Nomad wrote:A couple of thoughts: What happens with Foles? Usually SB winning MVP QBs are penciled in as starters for the next several years barring injury issues (look how long Flacco has been at the helm after winning a SB several years ago). Not surprising, the reports are coming in that several teams might be interested in his services. This reminds of the iconic song from The Clash; "Should I stay or should I go"...should Foles stay as a backup or should he go somewhere else to start?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-super-bowl-ranking-nick-foles-top-10-landing-spots-for-next-season/

A number of you have chimed in regarding Foles, but I picked this quote because it was a good segue for what caught my attention in the post-game interviews, especially the one with both HC Doug Pederson and Nick Foles. Doug said something about the difference between Foles and Wentz that made me think that maybe teams who might come calling on Nick Foles to be their starter better have a well thought out plan on how they want to use Foles. More simply put, buyer beware. I don't have the exact Pederson quote, as my DVR recording quite before the interview happened. But it went something like this: "there are some plays we run with Wentz that Nick really does not like to run". Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what those differences, and Foles weaknesses are. But I don't see Foles able to carry the team, like Wentz or guys like Brees or Wilson can, when everything else on the team (e.g. OLine, defense, injuries) is not in good shape.

But Foles isn't exactly free to leave the Eagles in search of his own starting job. Per Spotrac Foles is under contract with the Eagles in 2018 for the cost of just $7.6 million.

For more information related to possible landing spots for Foles: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/ranking-nick-foles-top-nine-landing-spots-after-being-named-super-bowl-lii-mvp/

IMO, I think Foles will be content to say in Philly if they want to keep him. Depending on when Wentz is cleared to play, Foles could see quite a bit of action early next season.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

05 Feb 2018 23:27

Anyone have any thoughts on the Brady documentary that came out the week before the super Bowl? Brady trying to play mind games with the Eagles players? The documentary is a nice piece. The timing of its release IMO is a POS.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

06 Feb 2018 00:24

BullsFan22 wrote:Brady was certain before the game he'd be back for next year. I don't doubt that. People didn't expect them to make it back to the SB this season, perhaps even last season, but they made it and were close to winning again. I don't think his level will drop to a point where he is ineffective and the Patriots become so bad that they don't even make the playoffs, but I do think his level will drop. A 41 year old (at the start of next season) QB that's been around since 2000 will not sustain and will have more dips in his game.

So the question becomes, what will Kraft and the management do in the offseason? Who will they trade, who will they buy to help Brady? They have to improve their offense, because as good as Brady and the offense is, they can't rely on them to always outscore opponents and pray that they'll have possession last...That's what lost them the game.

As far as the other teams are concerned, who knows. The old guard: Seattle, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, New Orleans, Baltimore, and a couple other regular contenders have things to work on. The new guard: SF, Minnesota, Philadelphia (yeah, why not put them in here as well??), etc have bright futures. SF, Minnesota, Philly all had quarterback injury issues during the season, but the guys that stepped in did a heck of a job (to put it mildly), so they are interestingly all in the same boat...what to do with the QB's next season? SF is in a more clear position as Jimmy G. is definitely their no 1 and he'll be there for a while, it looks like. Minnesota and Philadelphia have, perhaps, tough choices to make. Ride Keenum and Foles or....? My guess is Wentz will be the primary QB, so not sure if Foles will get the nod. Perhaps he'll like to move somewhere else?? Keenum to me looks like he'll be no 1 in Minnesota, but maybe not...have no idea!!

What about the Rams? What will they do? They should be satisfied with the season they had. Will they make significant moves in the offseason? They have the RB position dialed...

KC? Denver? Raiders? What about that division?

What about the bottom dwellers? Chicago, Cleveland, Dolphins, Jets? Will Buffalo continue to improve or was it pure luck that won them a playoff berth? Lions? Will the Cowboys do anything?

Saw my mistake, though a bit late! That is supposed to read 'defense' not offense. Obviously their offense has been good this season. Certainly good enough to at least almost win the Super Bowl!!!
BullsFan22

06 Feb 2018 00:40

THE BUTLER BENCHING (Ian Rappaport):
My understanding is the benching of #Patriots CB Malcolm Butler happened because of a perfect storm of issues: Sickness, a rough week of practice, and a minor rule violation believed to be related to curfew. A complicated matter. https://t.co/TmUJgkHpsZ

Patriots DC Patricia officially announced as new Lions HC. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2684855-matt-patricia-named-lions-hc-after-patriots-super-bowl-52-loss-to-eagles?share=other
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

06 Feb 2018 00:54

Generally agree on Foles. I think he's actually an above average QB in the right system. Keep in mind, he played on the best team in the NFL here, with solid running, and solid pass protection, put him back with Jeff Fisher as coach... You could say the same about a lot of QBs. Still, he stepped up on the playoffs, and delivered, and seems like a great person. He has a humble, everyman quality that is sorely lacking in many sports idols today. I won't be at all surprised if he's happy to stay in Philly next season, and spend most, if not the entire season as a back-up.

As to biased announcing, to be honest, even in the US there were a lot of people who thought Cris Collinsworth was terrible, and biased in favor of the Patriots. And these aren't just Eagles fans. Many are other sportswriters even.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/mc-nws-cris-collinsworth-super-bowl-20180205-story.html

Both Dean Blandnio and Mike Perierra said both catches were correctly called. If you've seen Blandino on CBS, in recent months he has tried to clarify the rule saying in essence it's a simple rule. What clouds it is "control" and how refs have often overanalyzed that, with the Clement call being one done right. He had control, even if briefly, had his feet down, and never fully lost control. Touchdown.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/4/16972218/why-was-corey-clements-catch-ruled-a-touchdown-in-super-bowl-52

As far as officiating to keep the NFL from being the NBA in scoring, I agree there. The one key they need to do is change defensive PI to eliminate the spot foul. It's almost absurd how if it's on the D, it's a spot foul, but if it's offense it's just 10 yards. It should be 15 yards and an automatic first down, just like college. People worry it will be flagrantly violated, but I don't see that. It's not in a defensive player's mindset to do that. Maybe late in games on hail mary plays, but that almost never happens in college.

I'll be shocked of Josh McDaniels stays in New England. I'm not sure where that came from, but Peter King repeated it, and now it just seems like sportswriters quoting one another, as if it's a scoop that's true. I think the only way Josh stays if he has wind that Belicheck will retire. So far, Bill has said the exact opposite. Tom Curren of NBC is saying the talk of Josh staying is wishful thinking for Pats fans, and it's only a matter of time before Josh tells Bill he's moving on, and the ink in Indy dries.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/2/5/16973926/report-josh-mcdaniels-expected-to-be-named-colts-head-coach-later-this-week

A good article on why Josh will likely do much better in Indy than he did as HC in Denver. It's not just maturity, it's the team, and culture.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/29/16936072/where-the-broncos-set-mcdaniels-up-to-fail-the-colts-have-set-him-up-for-success

But to me, this still has much to do with Andrew Luck. His injury is still a bit of a mystery to me. He's gone from undefined shoulder problems, to a frayed labrum, to the tendon connecting the labrum to the bicep needing surgery, to going to the Netherlands for special treatment, to him saying he's recovering well and expects to be 100% next year. But who knows? I will say this though, if anyone can develop a system to get him enough protection, and the ball out of his hands so he doesn't take a beating, it's Josh.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

06 Feb 2018 02:22

BullsFan22 wrote:What about the Rams? What will they do? They should be satisfied with the season they had. Will they make significant moves in the offseason? They have the RB position dialed...

Alpe d'Huez wrote:As to next year's teams to watch, I think the Rams are definitely one of them, the Jags too, probably. Though they could fall back a little, it won't be that far.

this [Rams] will be interesting to watch - OC and QB coach gone, and McVay saying he thinks he'll regret letting Lefleur go after the work he's done with Goff.
Then replacing him with two coaches - pass and run coach, as well as bringing in a 'special offensive assistant'...
User avatar Archibald

Re:

06 Feb 2018 02:25

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Generally agree on Foles. I think he's actually an above average QB in the right system. Keep in mind, he played on the best team in the NFL here, with solid running, and solid pass protection, put him back with Jeff Fisher as coach... You could say the same about a lot of QBs. Still, he stepped up on the playoffs, and delivered, and seems like a great person. He has a humble, everyman quality that is sorely lacking in many sports idols today. I won't be at all surprised if he's happy to stay in Philly next season, and spend most, if not the entire season as a back-up.

As to biased announcing, to be honest, even in the US there were a lot of people who thought Cris Collinsworth was terrible, and biased in favor of the Patriots. And these aren't just Eagles fans. Many are other sportswriters even.

http://www.mcall.com/sports/football/eagles/mc-nws-cris-collinsworth-super-bowl-20180205-story.html

Both Dean Blandnio and Mike Perierra said both catches were correctly called. If you've seen Blandino on CBS, in recent months he has tried to clarify the rule saying in essence it's a simple rule. What clouds it is "control" and how refs have often overanalyzed that, with the Clement call being one done right. He had control, even if briefly, had his feet down, and never fully lost control. Touchdown.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/4/16972218/why-was-corey-clements-catch-ruled-a-touchdown-in-super-bowl-52

As far as officiating to keep the NFL from being the NBA in scoring, I agree there. The one key they need to do is change defensive PI to eliminate the spot foul. It's almost absurd how if it's on the D, it's a spot foul, but if it's offense it's just 10 yards. It should be 15 yards and an automatic first down, just like college. People worry it will be flagrantly violated, but I don't see that. It's not in a defensive player's mindset to do that. Maybe late in games on hail mary plays, but that almost never happens in college.

I'll be shocked of Josh McDaniels stays in New England. I'm not sure where that came from, but Peter King repeated it, and now it just seems like sportswriters quoting one another, as if it's a scoop that's true. I think the only way Josh stays if he has wind that Belicheck will retire. So far, Bill has said the exact opposite. Tom Curren of NBC is saying the talk of Josh staying is wishful thinking for Pats fans, and it's only a matter of time before Josh tells Bill he's moving on, and the ink in Indy dries.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/2/5/16973926/report-josh-mcdaniels-expected-to-be-named-colts-head-coach-later-this-week

A good article on why Josh will likely do much better in Indy than he did as HC in Denver. It's not just maturity, it's the team, and culture.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/29/16936072/where-the-broncos-set-mcdaniels-up-to-fail-the-colts-have-set-him-up-for-success

But to me, this still has much to do with Andrew Luck. His injury is still a bit of a mystery to me. He's gone from undefined shoulder problems, to a frayed labrum, to the tendon connecting the labrum to the bicep needing surgery, to going to the Netherlands for special treatment, to him saying he's recovering well and expects to be 100% next year. But who knows? I will say this though, if anyone can develop a system to get him enough protection, and the ball out of his hands so he doesn't take a beating, it's Josh.
Maybe it's failed medical treatment with Luck. There's a story that he might need a second surgery which usually indicates there was a problem with the first procedure. When you consider the first class rehab with the best PTs & ATs that these athletes have access to this shouldn't be happening. And it's funny that the Colts have never revealed who the surgeon was. Surgery may not always be the Holy Grail of joint injuries (Luck play the entire 2016 season on the bad shoulder, which was injured midseason 2015, and had his 2nd best throwing stats of his career). I hope he can come back but I wouldn't be all surprised if it's career ending.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/andrew-luck-could-require-another-shoulder-surgery-after-europe-rehab/
Nomad

06 Feb 2018 04:06

I don't understand watching for the final outcome. I enjoy almost every play of a good game.

If McD is such a sure thing in Indy what are they/he waiting for? How do we know what NE is telling him? Or maybe they'll have a presser tomorrow to announce, but the silence today makes me wonder. Nomad (I'll moderate myself). Since when do I have to cite sources for my opinion? I am the source!

Edit: Indy announced it today, with a presser scheduled for tomorrow...but McD decides to stay in NE. :lol:
Last edited by jmdirt on 07 Feb 2018 02:40, edited 2 times in total.
jmdirt

Re:

06 Feb 2018 13:23

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Generally agree on Foles. I think he's actually an above average QB in the right system. Keep in mind, he played on the best team in the NFL here, with solid running, and solid pass protection, put him back with Jeff Fisher as coach... You could say the same about a lot of QBs. Still, he stepped up on the playoffs, and delivered, and seems like a great person. He has a humble, everyman quality that is sorely lacking in many sports idols today. I won't be at all surprised if he's happy to stay in Philly next season, and spend most, if not the entire season as a back-up.

Jeff Fisher couldn't do much with Goff, Keenum or Foles and it's not as if the Rams team changed radically this year but their coaching personnel did.
movingtarget
Veteran

06 Feb 2018 13:43

Irondan wrote:
The Tide ads were the best all day.

Tide won the battle of the ads IMHO.

(Now the reason I would guess is to counter the adverse publicity from the whole Tide Pod Challenge nonsense)
User avatar Catwhoorg

PreviousNext

Return to General