Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

07 Feb 2018 01:59

Shows you what I know, regarding McDaniels.

My best guess is that there's inside talks about him taking over the team in a year or two. But who knows, as the team says that's not the case, and they just gave him a sweet deal. Maybe the numbers didn't add up for Indy, or his family didn't want to move there. Maybe it was the fans that he ran into in Minneapolis when he took a wrong turn, and they begged him to stay.

I can't believe that Washington would actually try to franchise Kirk Cousins (again) in order to try to trade him. I don't know all the numbers, but my understanding is that it would be $30m guaranteed, and he wouldn't even have to sign the tender, and he could actually block a trade. Super risky move to do that. Imagine if they had both him, and Alex Smith? $50m going to just two players, and both can't play at the same time!
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re: Re:

07 Feb 2018 02:42

Nomad wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:I agree with those who said the game was kind of subdued, even though it was close. It was like we were all waiting for the last 3 minutes to see if Brady could pull the win out, or not. And this time it was just too much to ask of him, though he nearly did it.

Very happy for Nick Foles, who was all but discarded by the league when the Eagles were able to get Sam Bradford, and Nick didn't play so well for the Rams (under Jeff Fisher). He is under contract for next season, and I don't see the Eagles making any decision on him until training camp, at least, to see if Wentz is fully recovered from his ACL tear. But if Wentz is healthy, I don't see Foles taking his job. Then where does he go? Arizona is a good guess, and I'm sure he's be welcome there.

I don't see Brady retiring, Gronk either. I also think Belicheck will find a new AC and DC and the Pats will contend once again. But I have to agree, it's only a matter of time before Brady's age catches up to him. But he is coming off an MVP season, and just threw fro 500 yards and almost won yet another SB. So even if he just slips a little, he'll still probably be one of the best QB's in the league. The reason I don't think Belicheck is retiring is because both coordinators are leaving. If he were retiring, there would have been wind of it internally, and either McDaniels or Patrician would never have been thought of as leaving.

I can perhaps see a coaches decision not starting Malcom Butler if he pissed someone off, or had some vague illness, but once the Eagles started going after Eric Rowe in some situations, why not at least get Butler on the field in nickel packages, at least to make the Eagles think about him?? Dont’a Hightower, and former Pats Jamie Collins, Brandon Browner, and Alfonzo Dennard all said the same in so many words. Butler was upset after the game, but did Tweet later thanking the Pats as a team for giving him an opportunity in the NFL.

I have no idea why Cris Collinsworth, or anyone else questioned the Ertz catch. This is getting absurd at this point. Agree on the Clement catch, being close, but a catch. Props to the refs for sticking with the ruling on the field. Actually, I think the refs did an excellent job all game. Very few penalties, and no real problems. Just some close calls that in the end they got right, on the field.

As to next year's teams to watch, I think the Rams are definitely one of them, the Jags too, probably. Though they could fall back a little, it won't be that far. SF is another team that may not make a serious run next year, isn't far away. I'm curious what Josh McDaniels can do with a completely healthy Andrew Luck in Indy. Ignore rumors saying he'll stay in NE, unless Belicheck does retire, as I said above. Josh was too emotional when HC of Denver a few years back, but I think he's learned a lot since then.

The Chargers and the Saints are two teams that intrigue me in that they both have QBs nearing the end of their career, but who can still really play, with a lot of talented young players. The Saints were a whisker from going to Philly in the NFC championship. I also fully expect Malcom Butler to sign with the Saints in the off season. Similar about the Packers. They are loaded with talent, and will have Aaron Rodgers back. The Viks need to pick a QB, sign him, and move on. My guess is it's Bridgewater, unless he really isn't fully healthy.

One thought too is that we don't know how well Wentz will recover. I hope that he will be back to 100%, but who knows. Indy expected Luck to be back and we know how that went.

McDaniels might not be leaving...
Where do you come up with this BS? Don't you know how to cite anything? It's a done deal with Indy! What do you not understand about that?

http://fox59.com/2018/02/05/colts-josh-mcdaniels-union-still-expected-after-patriots-fall-in-super-bowl/

It looks like my instinct is better than your cited sources! I just put the crow in the oven, but now I can send it to you! :rolleyes:
jmdirt

Re:

07 Feb 2018 02:48

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Shows you what I know, regarding McDaniels.

My best guess is that there's inside talks about him taking over the team in a year or two. But who knows, as the team says that's not the case, and they just gave him a sweet deal. Maybe the numbers didn't add up for Indy, or his family didn't want to move there. Maybe it was the fans that he ran into in Minneapolis when he took a wrong turn, and they begged him to stay.

I can't believe that Washington would actually try to franchise Kirk Cousins (again) in order to try to trade him. I don't know all the numbers, but my understanding is that it would be $30m guaranteed, and he wouldn't even have to sign the tender, and he could actually block a trade. Super risky move to do that. Imagine if they had both him, and Alex Smith? $50m going to just two players, and both can't play at the same time!

I started questioning it Friday, then again on Saturday, and then especially yesterday. He just didn't seem/talk like a guy who was moving on. Now who does Indy go to?

While I understand the business of WA franchising Cousins again, they have screwed with him enough, its time to just let him move on. If they do, I hope he does everything he can to mess with them. He seems like a nice guy though so maybe he won't...but maybe his agent will.
jmdirt

Re: National Football League

07 Feb 2018 04:46

LOL. WT_. McDaniels. Kraft pulls a rabbit out of the hat. Caught me with my pants down. Cowherd is going to be all over this tomorrow. Maybe Kraft is done with Bill? :D
@jmdirt:

RE: Kirk Cousins tag & trade: http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/29958/kirk-cousins-has-millions-of-reasons-not-to-fear-the-tag-again
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

07 Feb 2018 05:17

jmdirt wrote:
Nomad wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:I agree with those who said the game was kind of subdued, even though it was close. It was like we were all waiting for the last 3 minutes to see if Brady could pull the win out, or not. And this time it was just too much to ask of him, though he nearly did it.

Very happy for Nick Foles, who was all but discarded by the league when the Eagles were able to get Sam Bradford, and Nick didn't play so well for the Rams (under Jeff Fisher). He is under contract for next season, and I don't see the Eagles making any decision on him until training camp, at least, to see if Wentz is fully recovered from his ACL tear. But if Wentz is healthy, I don't see Foles taking his job. Then where does he go? Arizona is a good guess, and I'm sure he's be welcome there.

I don't see Brady retiring, Gronk either. I also think Belicheck will find a new AC and DC and the Pats will contend once again. But I have to agree, it's only a matter of time before Brady's age catches up to him. But he is coming off an MVP season, and just threw fro 500 yards and almost won yet another SB. So even if he just slips a little, he'll still probably be one of the best QB's in the league. The reason I don't think Belicheck is retiring is because both coordinators are leaving. If he were retiring, there would have been wind of it internally, and either McDaniels or Patrician would never have been thought of as leaving.

I can perhaps see a coaches decision not starting Malcom Butler if he pissed someone off, or had some vague illness, but once the Eagles started going after Eric Rowe in some situations, why not at least get Butler on the field in nickel packages, at least to make the Eagles think about him?? Dont’a Hightower, and former Pats Jamie Collins, Brandon Browner, and Alfonzo Dennard all said the same in so many words. Butler was upset after the game, but did Tweet later thanking the Pats as a team for giving him an opportunity in the NFL.

I have no idea why Cris Collinsworth, or anyone else questioned the Ertz catch. This is getting absurd at this point. Agree on the Clement catch, being close, but a catch. Props to the refs for sticking with the ruling on the field. Actually, I think the refs did an excellent job all game. Very few penalties, and no real problems. Just some close calls that in the end they got right, on the field.

As to next year's teams to watch, I think the Rams are definitely one of them, the Jags too, probably. Though they could fall back a little, it won't be that far. SF is another team that may not make a serious run next year, isn't far away. I'm curious what Josh McDaniels can do with a completely healthy Andrew Luck in Indy. Ignore rumors saying he'll stay in NE, unless Belicheck does retire, as I said above. Josh was too emotional when HC of Denver a few years back, but I think he's learned a lot since then.

The Chargers and the Saints are two teams that intrigue me in that they both have QBs nearing the end of their career, but who can still really play, with a lot of talented young players. The Saints were a whisker from going to Philly in the NFC championship. I also fully expect Malcom Butler to sign with the Saints in the off season. Similar about the Packers. They are loaded with talent, and will have Aaron Rodgers back. The Viks need to pick a QB, sign him, and move on. My guess is it's Bridgewater, unless he really isn't fully healthy.

One thought too is that we don't know how well Wentz will recover. I hope that he will be back to 100%, but who knows. Indy expected Luck to be back and we know how that went.

Where do you come up with this BS? Don't you know how to cite anything? It's a done deal with Indy! What do you not understand about that?

http://fox59.com/2018/02/05/colts-josh-mcdaniels-union-still-expected-after-patriots-fall-in-super-bowl/

It looks like my instinct is better than your cited sources! I just put the crow in the oven, but now I can send it to you! :rolleyes:
Not so fast jmdirt...you "edited" your original post twice. The first edit was this: "Edit: Indy announced it today, with a presser scheduled for tomorrow." You believed it to be true because you didn't add to your statement anything along the lines of "He'll change his mind at the last minute & stay in NE" or "I don't think it's a done deal and I believe he's not going anywhere," etc. Then only after the breaking news of the signing falling through, you go back and edit that first edit with"...but McD decides to stay in NE" with your laughing emoji as if you knew it all along. When the report circulated "confirming" that McD accepted the Indy HC job, you believed it to be legitimate just like everyone else here or you would have casted some doubts in your original edit. :)
Nomad

07 Feb 2018 13:39

on3m@n@rmy wrote:LOL. WT_. McDaniels. Kraft pulls a rabbit out of the hat. Caught me with my pants down. Cowherd is going to be all over this tomorrow. Maybe Kraft is done with Bill? :D
@jmdirt:

RE: Kirk Cousins tag & trade: http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/29958/kirk-cousins-has-millions-of-reasons-not-to-fear-the-tag-again

The bad part is that my instinct is wrong 99 out of a 100 times so I need to save the bowing emoji for the other 99! :lol:
jmdirt

07 Feb 2018 13:46

Nomad wrote:
jmdirt wrote:
Nomad wrote:
jmdirt wrote:

Not so fast jmdirt...you "edited" your original post twice. The first edit was this: "Edit: Indy announced it today, with a presser scheduled for tomorrow." You believed it to be true because you didn't add to your statement anything along the lines of "He'll change his mind at the last minute & stay in NE" or "I don't think it's a done deal and I believe he's not going anywhere," etc. Then only after the breaking news of the signing falling through, you go back and edit that first edit with"...but McD decides to stay in NE" with your laughing emoji as if you knew it all along. When the report circulated "confirming" that McD accepted the Indy HC job, you believed it to be legitimate just like everyone else here or you would have casted some doubts in your original edit. :)

You are just splattering! When Indy announced I was surprised, but conceded and edited my post. Then McD confirmed what I felt all along so I edit again.

EDIT: You are accusing me of being deceptive in some way when in fact I am one of only a few people forum wide who puts "EDIT:" instead of just changing my original post. Plus, the forum software clearly shows when the last edit was, and how many total edits have been made.

So to recap, you lectured and scolded me, and now you are calling me a liar.

EDIT 2 8:47 MST 2/7/2018: The laughing emoji was because it was a truly silly situation.
Last edited by jmdirt on 07 Feb 2018 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
jmdirt

07 Feb 2018 14:13

jmdirt wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:LOL. WT_. McDaniels. Kraft pulls a rabbit out of the hat. Caught me with my pants down. Cowherd is going to be all over this tomorrow. Maybe Kraft is done with Bill? :D
@jmdirt:

The bad part is that my instinct is wrong 99 out of a 100 times so I need to save the bowing emoji for the other 99! :lol:

That there is real humility. Still, go ahead and airmail the crow to the deserving recipient.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

07 Feb 2018 15:43

Here's an interesting thought: a guy I work with is a Colts fan so he has been following Luck's situation closely and thinks that his career is over. He thinks that Cousins will be in Indy this year. Granted, I haven't followed Luck's situation really at all, but him never playing again hadn't crossed my mind. If that does happen (I hope not), I still don't see Cousins going there unless they hire a coach that he really wants to play for.
jmdirt

07 Feb 2018 16:39

Am I the only one who doesn't really get why Butler was benched? I know the "patriots way" is that the team is very strict and violations of rules get punished, but after all Bill Belichick doesn't do that because he wants to win the price for most friendly football team, but because he thinks in the long run a very disciplined team wins him superbowls. But in this case, when the game where a player gets benched is the freakin Super Bowl, can you really argue that for once not punishing a player is more likely to cost them a Super Bowl win than a starter missing the biggest game of the year? I really don't think so. Butler must have done something absolutely horrible, otherwise I think that was a mistake.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

Re:

07 Feb 2018 17:44

jmdirt wrote:Here's an interesting thought: a guy I work with is a Colts fan so he has been following Luck's situation closely and thinks that his career is over. He thinks that Cousins will be in Indy this year. Granted, I haven't followed Luck's situation really at all, but him never playing again hadn't crossed my mind. If that does happen (I hope not), I still don't see Cousins going there unless they hire a coach that he really wants to play for.

Wow. Well I hope Luck's career is not over. The only people who would really have some idea would be his trainers, doctors, and some team staff. But even some of those people may not have a real accurate feeling about his returning. I've seen some guys who you'd think were done, quietly do work on their own behind the scenes, return as starters after 9 months rehab and surprise many, including docs and coaches. I mean, even the docs, trainers, & coaches at best in a serious injury may have guesses about the final outcome, but none will know until the player hits the practice field, or in Luck's case tries to throw at some point. Such a high profile player like Luck performing rehab work without being noticed is unimaginable though.

I have not tried to follow and have heard nothing, but my question for your coworker is has Luck done any throwing yet?

I did a (very) little research, and your coworker's gut feel may be right if Luck is not throwing yet. Here's what I found out:
- Luck first injured shoulder Sept. 27, 2015. The injury was misunderstood, and he continued to play with it.
“I did not know it was his shoulder; I thought it was just his sternum or rib-related because of when I tapped him like that in the video that everybody saw afterward,” former Colts quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said. “I didn’t know, or I wouldn’t have done it. In that game, we were 0-2, and he brought us back, seriously, by himself. Throws the game winner; it was a heck of a throw. Basically it was like, ‘If you can make that throw, you’re fine.’ I did believe he was fine. I didn’t think it was an issue.”
- After that Sept 27 game Luck missed the following 2 games due to the shoulder.
- Luck returned to play four games before his 2015 season ended due to a lacerated kidney in Week 9.
- Luck re-injured his right shoulder by trying to make a tackle after throwing a pick in Week 2 of 2016 season.
[ LINK: http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/21743/andrew-lucks-injury-how-we-got-here-and-when-he-will-return ]

So he has been sidelined for more than a year! That is not good normally. But there is that possibility he could have returned at the end of the 2017 season but decided not to risk it. But like I said, if he is STILL not throwing... that would be bad, bad news, and not very comforting.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

07 Feb 2018 18:13

Gigs_98 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't really get why Butler was benched? I know the "patriots way" is that the team is very strict and violations of rules get punished, but after all Bill Belichick doesn't do that because he wants to win the price for most friendly football team, but because he thinks in the long run a very disciplined team wins him superbowls. But in this case, when the game where a player gets benched is the freakin Super Bowl, can you really argue that for once not punishing a player is more likely to cost them a Super Bowl win than a starter missing the biggest game of the year? I really don't think so. Butler must have done something absolutely horrible, otherwise I think that was a mistake.

I don't know if you saw this that I posted a while ago:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:THE BUTLER BENCHING (Ian Rappaport):
My understanding is the benching of #Patriots CB Malcolm Butler happened because of a perfect storm of issues: Sickness, a rough week of practice, and a minor rule violation believed to be related to curfew. A complicated matter. https://t.co/TmUJgkHpsZ
However, since the benching of Butler was the head coach's decision, I seriously doubt that anyone outside of the Patriots organization will know anything more revealing for a long, long time. After Belichick leaves the Pats (e.g. by retirement), then MAYBE we will hear something more accurate.

To be fair to Butler, he has publicly denied having broken any team rules (as the tweet above by Rappaport says). What does Rappaport truly know right? If Butler was ill, it is quite possible that it all transpired just like Belichick says "to give the team the best chance of defending". After all, if a player is so tired from illness, the backups can often play at a much higher level for longer than the sick person. Myself, having survived the flu in December, I can tell you 5 days of this flu at 101-102'F fever totally drained my energy. And then a couple days after the fever broke to recover.

But I tend to agree with you that if the benching was only over some team rule violation, then (while I understand the HC decision) the punishment was excessive because not only did it punish the player, it also punished teammates for arguably reducing chances to win the SB as the result of less talent on field (and less chemistry/communication etc.). In that case, a punishment somewhere in the middle would have been more appropriate, such as bench Butler the first 4 plays and then insert him into the lineup. So his real punishment is he is not announced as starter. If coach feels that is insufficient, he could always fine him for breaking team rules. Some middle ground of punishment like that is what I would have done if I was HC.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

07 Feb 2018 18:28

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Here's an interesting thought: a guy I work with is a Colts fan so he has been following Luck's situation closely and thinks that his career is over. He thinks that Cousins will be in Indy this year. Granted, I haven't followed Luck's situation really at all, but him never playing again hadn't crossed my mind. If that does happen (I hope not), I still don't see Cousins going there unless they hire a coach that he really wants to play for.

Wow. Well I hope Luck's career is not over. The only people who would really have some idea would be his trainers, doctors, and some team staff. But even some of those people may not have a real accurate feeling about his returning. I've seen some guys who you'd think were done, quietly do work on their own behind the scenes, return as starters after 9 months rehab and surprise many, including docs and coaches. I mean, even the docs, trainers, & coaches at best in a serious injury may have guesses about the final outcome, but none will know until the player hits the practice field, or in Luck's case tries to throw at some point. Such a high profile player like Luck performing rehab work without being noticed is unimaginable though.

I have not tried to follow and have heard nothing, but my question for your coworker is has Luck done any throwing yet?

I did a (very) little research, and your coworker's gut feel may be right if Luck is not throwing yet. Here's what I found out:
- Luck first injured shoulder Sept. 27, 2015. The injury was misunderstood, and he continued to play with it.
“I did not know it was his shoulder; I thought it was just his sternum or rib-related because of when I tapped him like that in the video that everybody saw afterward,” former Colts quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said. “I didn’t know, or I wouldn’t have done it. In that game, we were 0-2, and he brought us back, seriously, by himself. Throws the game winner; it was a heck of a throw. Basically it was like, ‘If you can make that throw, you’re fine.’ I did believe he was fine. I didn’t think it was an issue.”
- After that Sept 27 game Luck missed the following 2 games due to the shoulder.
- Luck returned to play four games before his 2015 season ended due to a lacerated kidney in Week 9.
- Luck re-injured his right shoulder by trying to make a tackle after throwing a pick in Week 2 of 2016 season.
[ LINK: http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/21743/andrew-lucks-injury-how-we-got-here-and-when-he-will-return ]

So he has been sidelined for more than a year! That is not good normally. But there is that possibility he could have returned at the end of the 2017 season but decided not to risk it. But like I said, if he is STILL not throwing... that would be bad, bad news, and not very comforting.

I really don't have any clue about Luck and/or Indy in general. But my colleague is a lifelong Colts fan, who is also fiends with Pagano's kid. He didn't pull the "insider connection" card this morning, but the way that he matter of factly said that Luck is done, at the very least gave me pause. I really hope that he is not done. We won't really know until summer I guess. Even if they make a QB move in free agency and/or draft a QB it could be viewed as insurance.
jmdirt

07 Feb 2018 19:33

Very interesting regarding the insider thoughts on Luck. We may not have to wait until summer however to find out. Now the Colts have Jacoby Brissett as backup QB, who shows real promise. But if the Colts already know Luck is likely done, then we will know on the first day of the upcoming draft (or sooner) based on what the Colts do with their #3 overall pick (following Cleveland and Giants) or do in free agency. If Luck is done, the Colts should take a QB to compete with Jacoby. Instead of drafting a QB, a better option for them may be to get a free agent QB like Cousins, in which case we'd know that before the draft. But what if Wash tags Cousins? He'd be expensive to trade for. If not Cousins, we've talked here about the small handful of other free agent QB options. Point being, if Luck is done we should know by the draft or sooner if that is what the Colts think about Luck.

Cowherd's show hit on this topic this morning saying he's not sure the Colts are fully aware of Luck's shoulder situation, which is what I said earlier. In any case, it's all speculation at this moment.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

07 Feb 2018 19:34

Gigs_98 wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't really get why Butler was benched? I know the "patriots way" is that the team is very strict and violations of rules get punished, but after all Bill Belichick doesn't do that because he wants to win the price for most friendly football team, but because he thinks in the long run a very disciplined team wins him superbowls. But in this case, when the game where a player gets benched is the freakin Super Bowl, can you really argue that for once not punishing a player is more likely to cost them a Super Bowl win than a starter missing the biggest game of the year? I really don't think so. Butler must have done something absolutely horrible, otherwise I think that was a mistake.

No, I don't understand it either, but by the same token, I haven't put much thought into it. He might be one of NE best DBs, but I'm not sure if he would have made any difference in the game (obviously there is no way to know). I can't imagine BB 'compromising' a Superbowl for no reason.
jmdirt

07 Feb 2018 19:39

If Washington tag Cousins, the rest of the league should collectively call their bluff. Two premium priced QBs against their cap, means they will simply not be able to have depth elsewhere.
User avatar Catwhoorg

07 Feb 2018 20:00

More on the Josh McDaniels situation backing out of the Colts HC job. Cowherd had these 4 thoughts on how Pats owner Bob Kraft sold Josh to flip back to the Patriots.
Kraft sold Josh by saying:
1. Colts have a crazy owner. I'm not.
2. Colts have a QB whose health is questionable. We have Brady.
3. Colts have a chaotic organization. Ours is stability.
4. Colts lack personnel to make playoffs. We will return to playoffs.

Besides an increase in wages and responsibilities that Kraft likely offered, there could be more. If Josh has kids, especially if they are in school, the stability the Pats job offers could be huge (not having to pull them out of school for a move to Indy now). Plus, Belichick is almost 70, so how many more years before Josh could step into a retiring-Belichick's job? That equals more potential for stability under Kraft than under a crazy Colts owner.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

07 Feb 2018 20:06

Catwhoorg wrote:If Washington tag Cousins, the rest of the league should collectively call their bluff. Two premium priced QBs against their cap, means they will simply not be able to have depth elsewhere.

And that would be funny. And deserved.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re:

07 Feb 2018 20:13

Catwhoorg wrote:If Washington tag Cousins, the rest of the league should collectively call their bluff. Two premium priced QBs against their cap, means they will simply not be able to have depth elsewhere.

:lol:
jmdirt

08 Feb 2018 11:07

what a debacle in indy...i really feel for andrew luck, looked set for an amazing career but i think he'll end up on the "should have been" list with RGIII.

even if he's healthy this year he'll be working with a new coach and a bunch of new staff - and have they spent any money on their offensive line yet? have they paid for a gronk-like safety valve either WR or TE for him to throw to? or a sturdy reliable RB to take off some pressure from the passing game.

just madness to get a guy that had so much potential and not shell out to put the right pieces around him.

... i did have a chuckle at this though:

User avatar leftover pie

PreviousNext

Return to General