Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

02 Aug 2017 15:05

I don't know that it's that cut and dry. I would imagine most every QB would rather win a game 50-0, while at the same time every QB loves the chance to shine in a pressure situation. I think the only QBs that do not, are ones that don't stay around in the league very long.

As noted before, I don't think one can compare a kicker to a QB. A kicker really does have the majority of responsibility on that one single play to come through. Sure, a snap, or hold, or block can be off. But they mostly are not, and it's almost entirely on the kicker's shoulders to make the kick. With a QB, there are way, way more variables. The blocking comes much more into play. A QB has to rely a great deal on receivers properly running routes as well. Plus coaching decisions.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re: National Football League

02 Aug 2017 16:54

Good points all. But I agree as Alpe says that it is not so cut and dried and there are so many variables.

I think the factors that contribute to a team playing well (which affects the stats used to rank QBs) is how well a team executes the game plan, cliche term is everyone does their job, momentum is a big psychological factor so getting off to a quick start is important, finishing strong is just as important (Execute well a full 60 minutes), also practice prior to a game. Just preparation really helps, watching film and knowing the opponent, understanding formations and what the opponent's offense & defense does, being in shape is crucial, there are far too many factors to count but those are some that immediately come to mind.

So if I'm rating a QB I'm looking more at the fine details of how he performs rather than whether or not the team won. Reading defense, making adjustments at the line (BTW with help of good center to make line calls), knowing route trees & combos, going thru progressions, pocket presence & footwork (Brady can't run in a straight line if his like depended on it, but moves extremely well in pocket), and OFC ball placement on all the throws are some that come to mind. BUT notice much of that depends on other players EXECUTING their job assignment. On top of that there are too many fine subtle details not just about the opposing team, but opposing player (e.g. this defender has a habit of doing something the offensive guy takes advantage of, again, preparation by film study) that affects play execution.

In the end, QB stats and ranking are impacted by so many things that to sum up I'd just say everyone executing their job on every play is what counts. Play hard? I'd say 99.x% do play hard as they can (again conditioning is crucial). Take plays off? They don't try or intend to, but it may look that way depending on conditioning, communication with teammates, and preparation (understanding or lack thereof). And executing well a full 60 minutes. A guy may play hard, but play stupid or not execute hurts a teams chances to win.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

02 Aug 2017 17:10

Looking more and more like a Kaep owner's-blacklisting despite Newsome & Harbaugh support. Nuts. Or is it just fake news?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725259-colin-kaepernick-signing-with-ravens-reportedly-resisted-by-steve-bisciotti
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: Re:

03 Aug 2017 09:03

Nomad wrote:
Merckx index wrote:There are two flaws with rating QBs by game-winning drives...

I imagine most QBs would rather be comfortably ahead late in the 4th quarter and not have that pressure on their shoulders while some, however, probably relish that moment.

Matt Ryan is listening...............
movingtarget
Veteran

03 Aug 2017 14:21

Herm says Kaep to the Dolphins.
jmdirt

Re:

03 Aug 2017 15:53

jmdirt wrote:Herm says Kaep to the Dolphins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EECTzbFFVu0

what he says just indicates how ridiculous the situation is
movingtarget
Veteran

03 Aug 2017 16:47

I can't see him playing in Miami, or being welcome there by enough fans. If you'll recall he wore a Fidel Castro t-shirt to a press conference while proclaiming he was against people being oppressed, and advocating freedom for all. Then standing up for this same assertion when repeatedly asked by a Miami reporter later. I mean, really? I never thought Cuba was the threat so many others have, and by many accounts life has gotten better there in recent years, but there is no question there were a LOT of people oppressed by Castro over the years, with thousands of them fleeing to south Florida, where they live to this day. I just don't see him going there. Then again, stranger things have happened.

Agree with Herm it's absurd that he, nor RG3 are in camp with at least some team, fighting for at least a back-up spot.

As to that article on concussions, that was hard to read. It's obvious Goodell is so short-sighted, he's like a shareholder demanding quarterly increases in dividends, long term future be damned - that he's quickly marring any accomplishment he's made to whatever legacy that was.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re: Re:

03 Aug 2017 17:33

movingtarget wrote:
jmdirt wrote:Herm says Kaep to the Dolphins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EECTzbFFVu0

what he says just indicates how ridiculous the situation is

Now that Fins' Tannehill is injured - not sure how badly - maybe the Fins sign Kaep. Herm's reference to RG's MVP reminds me of Rick Mirer who was a ROY who soon after became a bust. But Kaep has proven to perform better than Mirer following a good year. Agree with Herm on the embarrassment to the league.

Here is what Richard Sherman recently said about the situation:
For you to say you have to check with sponsors and fans because this guy took a knee and made a statement? Now if you told me this guy threw eight pick-sixes last year and played like a bum, had no talent, that’s one thing. But Ryan Fitzpatrick, Ryan Mallett or whoever is playing for the Jets right now – whoever is starting for the Jets is terrible – have jobs. You’re telling me fans would rather you lose and put a worse player out there because a guy took a stand? That’s where it’s so troublesome to me.

Yep. But not just fans. In particular, owners.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

03 Aug 2017 23:26

"You’re telling me fans would rather you lose and put a worse player out there because a guy took a stand?"
jmdirt

Re:

04 Aug 2017 00:05

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I can't see him playing in Miami, or being welcome there by enough fans. If you'll recall he wore a Fidel Castro t-shirt to a press conference while proclaiming he was against people being oppressed, and advocating freedom for all. Then standing up for this same assertion when repeatedly asked by a Miami reporter later. I mean, really? I never thought Cuba was the threat so many others have, and by many accounts life has gotten better there in recent years, but there is no question there were a LOT of people oppressed by Castro over the years, with thousands of them fleeing to south Florida, where they live to this day. I just don't see him going there. Then again, stranger things have happened.

Agree with Herm it's absurd that he, nor RG3 are in camp with at least some team, fighting for at least a back-up spot.

As to that article on concussions, that was hard to read. It's obvious Goodell is so short-sighted, he's like a shareholder demanding quarterly increases in dividends, long term future be damned - that he's quickly marring any accomplishment he's made to whatever legacy that was.

Yeah Miami would be one of the problem teams. The irony is they probably remember Kaep from playing Miami last season where he had his best game of the season and could have won the game on the final play. Maybe the Miami coach and owner will remember that but as for the fans that's another matter. Sounds like Tannehill's injury isn't good reading between the lines. Many teams will have a bone to pick with Kaep either from players owners or fans but if a team really needs a QB someone will have to see past the annoyance factor and take a chance on someone who is better than most back ups and better than some starters. That said I think the Ravens should have signed him and with the Jets QB roster that was an obvious landing place as I assumed wrongly.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Aug 2017 02:59

Moore and Gabbert both looked good considering how early it is.
jmdirt

Re:

04 Aug 2017 05:36

jmdirt wrote:Moore and Gabbert both looked good considering how early it is.

Gabbert can make good plays. He can run, he can throw deep but the consistency like the recent Kaep was always his problem.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Aug 2017 12:24

I too was surprised by Gabbert. We didn't see a lot of starters, and it's so early in the preseason, but he looked sharp, and was throwing tight spirals right on the money. Plus, he still may have some upside - he's still only 27 years old. This is just one game, but considering Drew Stanton didn't play at all, and Palmer has a hard time making it thorugh a season and is likely in his last year, Gabbert looked like he could lead the team if necessary.

Maybe.

Agree Moore threw some nice passes as well. Even the pick he threw was really a great defensive play, not a bad throw.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

04 Aug 2017 13:54

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I too was surprised by Gabbert. We didn't see a lot of starters, and it's so early in the preseason, but he looked sharp, and was throwing tight spirals right on the money. Plus, he still may have some upside - he's still only 27 years old. This is just one game, but considering Drew Stanton didn't play at all, and Palmer has a hard time making it thorugh a season and is likely in his last year, Gabbert looked like he could lead the team if necessary.

Maybe.

Agree Moore threw some nice passes as well. Even the pick he threw was really a great defensive play, not a bad throw.

Good pass, good defense, and lazy receiver.
jmdirt

06 Aug 2017 17:37

....good on Kurt and Terrel this week...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

06 Aug 2017 22:23

Jags rookie RB Leonard Fournette finds out what running in the NFL will be like:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BXa-G52BWSV/?taken-by=saturdaydownsouth
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

06 Aug 2017 22:54

Jay Cutler signs with the Dolphins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVa733chqs
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

06 Aug 2017 23:10

movingtarget wrote:Jay Cutler signs with the Dolphins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEVa733chqs

Even before I saw the graphic in the link my thought was "he's the same QB as RT".
jmdirt

06 Aug 2017 23:32

When Tannehill injured himself he was just running out of bounds. Not even hit.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

PreviousNext

Return to General