Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

06 Aug 2017 23:52

What's next! The Chargers asking Ryan Leaf to come out of retirement?

Anyone but Kaepernick it seems.

Regarding that hit on Fournette, that could happen to anyone, however, it is one step to validating my assertion that he was drafted way too high, riding the coattails of Eliot running behind the Cowboys front line.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re:

06 Aug 2017 23:53

on3m@n@rmy wrote:When Tannehill injured himself he was just running out of bounds. Not even hit.

Sounds like he doesn't need an operation.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

07 Aug 2017 00:02

Alpe d'Huez wrote:What's next! The Chargers asking Ryan Leaf to come out of retirement?

Regarding that hit on Fournette, that could happen to anyone, however, it is one step to validating my assertion that he was drafted way too high, riding the coattails of Eliot running behind the Cowboys front line.

The reasoning this time will be that Cutler played under Gase before. But the reality is the Cuban comments were going to be a mountain too high for Kaep added to what happened before. But looking at all three QBs at the moment it's hard to rate Kaep beneath the other two. Cutler has never been known as a team player and to galvanize a locker room and his attitude even on the field plenty of people seem to have a problem with especially Chicago fans. While Kaep even with all of the controversy won the 49ers players player award last year............
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

07 Aug 2017 14:38

Alpe d'Huez wrote:What's next! The Chargers asking Ryan Leaf to come out of retirement?

There's a report Miami considered Tebow & Orton. Tebow?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/06/report-tim-tebow-kyle-orton-among-qbs-dolphins-considered/amp/
Lol. Leaf may be good guy now, but that's funny.

On Fournette, selected too high in the draft, yes. But that clip just brought out my gut-busting "whoa" seeing that hit. On a more serious note, it's also not surprising because Fournette often runs with a high center of gravity. I do not recall ever seeing that happen to Marshaun Lynch, who runs with a low center of gravity and wide base.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

Re: Re:

07 Aug 2017 14:56

movingtarget wrote:
on3m@n@rmy wrote:When Tannehill injured himself he was just running out of bounds. Not even hit.

Sounds like he doesn't need an operation.

Yeah I think that was the initial report. We'll just have to wait for this to play out to see what happens. It was reported yesterday no decision has been made on surgery, which would likely end his season.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2725977-ryan-tannehill-reportedly-has-partially-torn-acl-no-decision-on-surgery
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

07 Aug 2017 15:18

on3m@n@rmy wrote:

There's a report Miami considered Tebow & Orton. Tebow?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/08/06/report-tim-tebow-kyle-orton-among-qbs-dolphins-considered/amp/
Lol. Leaf may be good guy now, but that's funny.

On Fournette, selected too high in the draft, yes. But that clip just brought out my gut-busting "whoa" seeing that hit. On a more serious note, it's also not surprising because Fournette often runs with a high center of gravity. I do not recall ever seeing that happen to Marshaun Lynch, who runs with a low center of gravity and wide base.

Someone said today that Tebow is more convincing as a baseball player these days than his last season as an NFL QB !
movingtarget
Veteran

07 Aug 2017 15:19

Short video on the Kaep situation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7lmYWyENS4
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

07 Aug 2017 15:43

movingtarget wrote:Short video on the Kaep situation

While Costas admittedly is no football mind, he is well informed and said many of the things we've mentioned upthread. Most importantly, I agree with what Costas said at the end of the video that Kaep deserves another chance to play QB in the NFL, and that to not get another chance is ridiculous. I dont know for sure but maybe Kaep just needs to reduce his salary demands?
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

07 Aug 2017 16:29

on3m@n@rmy wrote:
movingtarget wrote:Short video on the Kaep situation

While Costas admittedly is no football mind, he is well informed and said many of the things we've mentioned upthread. Most importantly, I agree with what Costas said at the end of the video that Kaep deserves another chance to play QB in the NFL, and that to not get another chance is ridiculous. I dont know for sure but maybe Kaep just needs to reduce his salary demands?

....but but but Jay Cutler, a purported cancer in the locker-room kind of guy just got signed for $10mil for a year by Miami....

....could be more related to recent surveys that show Kaep to be very unpopular with fans....though not really sure about the veracity of those surveys...

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

07 Aug 2017 16:37

movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

07 Aug 2017 16:48

....so yeah the bums in the seats are important....gonna be interesting if the cancer issue crops up and what those bums are going to say then....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

Re: National Football League

07 Aug 2017 17:21

....and there are these semi-fact thingees to consider....

To lure Cutler out of retirement, however, the Dolphins will pay the 34-year-old quarterback $10 million, per ESPN's Adam Schefter, when they already had a backup quarterback just as capable as Cutler on the roster.

Football Power Index sees Cutler as a downgrade, but a slight one, relative to Tannehill and has dropped the Dolphins' projected win total from 7.3 to 7.0. That projection includes the assumption that Tannehill is out for the season.

One benefit of signing Cutler is that he has already played in Adam Gase's system when the Dolphins' coach was the offensive coordinator in Chicago in 2015. But backup Matt Moore has also played under Gase, starting four games last season, including the wild-card playoff loss to the Steelers.

Had the Dolphins foregone the added expenditure of signing Cutler, they wouldn't have been much worse off. FPI thinks the difference between the Dolphins playing 16 games with Cutler as a starter compared to 16 games with Moore is roughly .3 wins. And frankly, in their most recent play, Moore has outplayed Cutler.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20249740/jay-cutler-change-miami-dolphins-2017-nfl-season-outlook

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

07 Aug 2017 21:22

blutto wrote:....and there are these semi-fact thingees to consider....

...One benefit of signing Cutler is that he has already played in Adam Gase's system when the Dolphins' coach was the offensive coordinator in Chicago in 2015. But backup Matt Moore has also played under Gase, starting four games last season, including the wild-card playoff loss to the Steelers.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20249740/jay-cutler-change-miami-dolphins-2017-nfl-season-outlook

Cheers

Listening to Mark Schlereth today on FOX, and he made the same statement above and added that knowing Gase's system, he also knows the terminology/language, whereas someone like Kaep would have to either learn the language or the team would have to change their system for Kaep. The latter would not happen. In either case, Mark said it was a no brainer from a system standpoint that they signed Cutler. Heap onto that the Kaep/Castro thingee and signing Kaep was a dead horse out of the gate.

Schlereth, having played for Denver, has some insider knowledge on the Paxton Lynch situation. He said Lynch, having played in a spread system in college, is still struggling with learning the pro style offense. No longer can Lynch, or anyone who played in a spread system, simply look at the sideline, read cards like firetruck, then run a play to a designated receiver.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

08 Aug 2017 00:47

The door has almost closed for Kaep

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/aug/07/colin-kaepernick-baltimore-ravens-nfl-miami-dolphins

i thought the Ravens would have been one of the best choices. Kaep must have known that Miami was going to be a stretch. It seems that only more injuries to QBs could possibly get him and RGIII on the field now and teams will be concerned about RGIII on that point anyway, and they would be smart enough to use the situation to keep Kaep's contract amount down.No one has mentioned much about money so far although Kaep hinted at the fact a few months ago that he wouldn't be looking for big dollars whatever that means. The other option is that a team has a terrible start to the season with a back up QB which is possible but at the moment it seems that there is more likelihood that Romo could come out of retirement and get a job before Kaep did. The Jets probably were not interested because their coach is expected to be a casualty quite soon and they are heading for a 49ers type situation with a rebuild.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

08 Aug 2017 03:13

movingtarget wrote:The door has almost closed for Kaep

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/aug/07/colin-kaepernick-baltimore-ravens-nfl-miami-dolphins

i thought the Ravens would have been one of the best choices. Kaep ...

I came across a Baltimore [internet] radio station over the weekend, and Kaep was the hot topic. I was surprised that while the pundits were a bit more rational, and with similar viewpoints to what's been posted here, the general feeling from dozens of callers was that they hated him. Lots of calls to stop supporting the ravens if they signed him. More than one caller did the Vick comparison... "Vick hurt some dogs, but Kap hurt the country" was the standout. Some serious butthurt over the flag thing.
Huge vitriol towards him - real intense hatred.
I really doubt that a PR dept could really control the spin well enough to keep the fans (and monday quarterbacks) happy, as was suggested previously...
(Yes, I'm aware that the callers may only represent a small portion of actual raven fans, but man, they were fired up!)
User avatar Archibald

08 Aug 2017 04:52

Archibald wrote:

I came across a Baltimore [internet] radio station over the weekend, and Kaep was the hot topic. I was surprised that while the pundits were a bit more rational, and with similar viewpoints to what's been posted here, the general feeling from dozens of callers was that they hated him. Lots of calls to stop supporting the ravens if they signed him. More than one caller did the Vick comparison... "Vick hurt some dogs, but Kap hurt the country" was the standout. Some serious butthurt over the flag thing.
I really doubt that a PR dept could really control the spin well enough to keep the fans (and monday quarterbacks) happy, as was suggested previously...
(Yes, I'm aware that the callers may only represent a small portion of actual raven fans, but man, they were fired up!)

Yes the USA does take it's anthem and flag very seriously and I am sure people are paying attention re future political protests..........anything but the flag and anthem ! But many people seemed okay about the fact that he didn't vote and his criticism of the police force. Even the police shooting of a white Australian woman seems to have got a lot of air time and it was a royal stuff up by the cop involved. So many Americans would be sympathetic about the social issues in the USA but then you have the flag and don't even mention the Castro T shirt or the pig socks ! And now with his girlfriend putting her opinions out there.........................maybe Kaep should apply for Cutler's vacant job at Fox but I wonder what the Fox owners think of him ? I still tend to think that Baltimore might be one of the better places for him support wise which is not exactly a bonus ! Let's say it's ahead of Miami !
movingtarget
Veteran

08 Aug 2017 06:02

Unfortunately the Raven fans who called into the radio station to express their displeasure with the thought of signing Kaep might represent the vocal minority. Not from that area though so i don't know.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy

08 Aug 2017 11:23

What do you think eventually is going to happen with Kap this year? I was quite surprised that the Dolphins would sign Cutler, who I thought was signed, sealed & delivered with FOX. I get the connection with Gase and all, but he was 1-4 last year with a 78 QB rating before his shoulder injury, and I think Chicago was glad to show him the highway. IMO, I think his durability & mental toughness is very questionable.

You've got to wonder how long this is going to go on with Kap. I predict QBs are going to start dropping like flies in the preseason and there isn’t much left out there (maybe coax Romo out of retirement? Lol). I'm not sold on Kap as a starter in this league, but certainly a capable backup considering the likes of Mark Sanchez still hanging around in this league...please.
Nomad

08 Aug 2017 12:18

movingtarget wrote:
Archibald wrote:

Yes the USA does take it's anthem and flag very seriously and I am sure people are paying attention re future political protests..........anything but the flag and anthem ! But many people seemed okay about the fact that he didn't vote and his criticism of the police force. Even the police shooting of a white Australian woman seems to have got a lot of air time and it was a royal stuff up by the cop involved. So many Americans would be sympathetic about the social issues in the USA but then you have the flag and don't even mention the Castro T shirt or the pig socks ! And now with his girlfriend putting her opinions out there.........................maybe Kaep should apply for Cutler's vacant job at Fox but I wonder what the Fox owners think of him ? I still tend to think that Baltimore might be one of the better places for him support wise which is not exactly a bonus ! Let's say it's ahead of Miami !

....yup yup you gotta luv that Merika, Love It or Leave It button eh..

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran

08 Aug 2017 12:26

I think at this point no one will sign him, period. I think he's viewed as being radioactive, and teams have their starting QB's, and are willing to roll the dice with a lesser talented backup QB, than Kaepernick.

He says he wants to play football, but if you look at his Twitter account, it's all politics and social commentary still. All about "rights", police abuse, people oppressed in his eyes, etc. Tweet after tweet, day after day.

If he doesn't get signed by mid-season, I think he will start looking into politics. Or should. I imagine there are a lot of fringe radio programs, and some TV shows that would love to have him on there for ratings. Let him go on about how oppressive the country is to minorities, how bad the police are, and how great Castro was, etc. I think he sold his mansion in the bay area to move to NYC. Maybe he can find a district there and run for office.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to General