Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re:

02 Jan 2018 01:16

Alpe d'Huez wrote:First a look at Black Monday and the coaching carousel. I'll post teams 2018 outlook, plus the draft, soon. Then on playoff thoughts.

I'm sure you have all heard by now it's almost a formality that Jon Gruden is coming back to Oakland, which explains Del Rio's quick exit. Mark Davis has known and been friends with Gruden for probably over 20 years and spoke fondly of him before. With a young franchise QB, and room to grow, and a new facility in two years, plus what appears to be a stake in minority ownership, if Gruden ever wanted to come back and give the NFL another shot, this would be it. If the Raiders are gambling, and can't lure Gruden, then canning Del Rio was a mistake for sure.

I agree that it was a mistake to let Pagano go. He took them to three 11-5 seasons (sharing one with Arians), he's a stabilizing person, and respected by his players. He missed his franchise player this year, and gets punished for it. Can you name one other (available) coach who would have taken this team to a winning season? Even a 7-9 season? I didn't think so.

Good for Arians to retire, good on him. He's going to be forever liked in Arizona. Excellent rebuilding period coming up for the Cardinals. They don't have a ton of cap room, but aren't in a tough spot either. Lots of hope for 2019 and beyond, if they can find a solid coach, and new franchise QB.

Zero surprise at Fox, and Caldwell being canned. I once heard about Caldwell that he was a very respectful man, but really would never be a top coach.

I still am not 100% convinced Hugh Jackson sticks around in Cleveland. I think if the Browns can find someone they like, that they think they can get, Hugh will be gone. His press conference was humbling, but also optimistic. So who knows. More on this later.

Dirk Koetter, Vance Joseph, and Jay Gruden both got a stamp of faith. I agree with Jay Glazer entirely, Washington's problem is not Gruden at all. It's the front office, headed up by the owner. Gruden has been making lemonade out of lemons there for a while.

As to Pete Carroll, I think what Seattle will do is look at both who they will release (Bennet for sure), who they will trade, who they will rebuild on (Wilson for sure), who they may draft, and get in FA. If they can on that in 3-5 years, Pete will stay on. If not, I can see him retiring. As Jimmy Johnson has said many times, it's a young man's game, even coaching, and rare is an older coach with the energy and stomach to tough it out.

Chip Kelly may have jumped too soon at taking the college job with UCLA. He may have ended up back in the NFL with all of the vacancies. Surely the Cardinals won't sign Jeff Fisher ................
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

02 Jan 2018 07:44

Alpe d'Huez wrote:First a look at Black Monday and the coaching carousel. I'll post teams 2018 outlook, plus the draft, soon. Then on playoff thoughts.

I'm sure you have all heard by now it's almost a formality that Jon Gruden is coming back to Oakland, which explains Del Rio's quick exit. Mark Davis has known and been friends with Gruden for probably over 20 years and spoke fondly of him before. With a young franchise QB, and room to grow, and a new facility in two years, plus what appears to be a stake in minority ownership, if Gruden ever wanted to come back and give the NFL another shot, this would be it. If the Raiders are gambling, and can't lure Gruden, then canning Del Rio was a mistake for sure.

I agree that it was a mistake to let Pagano go. He took them to three 11-5 seasons (sharing one with Arians), he's a stabilizing person, and respected by his players. He missed his franchise player this year, and gets punished for it. Can you name one other (available) coach who would have taken this team to a winning season? Even a 7-9 season? I didn't think so.

Good for Arians to retire, good on him. He's going to be forever liked in Arizona. Excellent rebuilding period coming up for the Cardinals. They don't have a ton of cap room, but aren't in a tough spot either. Lots of hope for 2019 and beyond, if they can find a solid coach, and new franchise QB.

Zero surprise at Fox, and Caldwell being canned. I once heard about Caldwell that he was a very respectful man, but really would never be a top coach.

I still am not 100% convinced Hugh Jackson sticks around in Cleveland. I think if the Browns can find someone they like, that they think they can get, Hugh will be gone. His press conference was humbling, but also optimistic. So who knows. More on this later.

Dirk Koetter, Vance Joseph, and Jay Gruden both got a stamp of faith. I agree with Jay Glazer entirely, Washington's problem is not Gruden at all. It's the front office, headed up by the owner. Gruden has been making lemonade out of lemons there for a while.

As to Pete Carroll, I think what Seattle will do is look at both who they will release (Bennet for sure), who they will trade, who they will rebuild on (Wilson for sure), who they may draft, and get in FA. If they can on that in 3-5 years, Pete will stay on. If not, I can see him retiring. As Jimmy Johnson has said many times, it's a young man's game, even coaching, and rare is an older coach with the energy and stomach to tough it out.

Caldwell firing is a bit puzzling but definetely not surprising. He isn't a top coach, but a good one, and Lions recently gave him extension. And it's not like Detroit have a roster to get over the hump of mediocricity.
repre

Re: Re:

02 Jan 2018 07:46

movingtarget wrote:

Chip Kelly may have jumped too soon at taking the college job with UCLA. He may have ended up back in the NFL with all of the vacancies. Surely the Cardinals won't sign Jeff Fisher ................

Kelly got back to his comfort zone after an NFL whirlwind. Cardinals need to hire an young HC and do rebuild, their roster now is 8-8 team's at best.
repre

02 Jan 2018 15:36

Some good news for Baltimore: Ravens OLB Terrell Suggs said he wants to play "for a few more years."
repre

Re: National Football League

02 Jan 2018 20:52

Really cool to see them sneak in to the playoffs after almost 20 years of nothing. I think the 'snow bowl' game from a couple weeks ago really was the make or break point for them and they won it.

Sad way for the season to end for the Hawks, but it was such a typical 2017 Seahawk game. Slow start, apart from the 99 yard return. The offense struggling, Wilson carrying the team with a comeback in the 4th, aaaand Blair Walsh AGAIN missing a field goal. Of course it was all academic at that point, as the Falcons were already through, but still, to lose your final game (at home, what's more) with a missed field goal....pretty depressing. The game against the Redskins where so many things went wrong for them, but still should have won, will be the one that did them in. A couple bad calls from Carroll and missed FG's by Walsh.
BullsFan22

02 Jan 2018 23:38

Here are some early picks.

TEN@KC - The Titans barely made the playoffs and were more inconsistent than KC, who have quietly won 4 in a row. In KC, I just don't see them losing this game at home.

ATL@LAR - If there is one game I think could be an upset this weekend, it's this one. The Falcons, if they can just play four quarters, are as dangerous as any team left. I also think on defense they have the ability to stop the endless stream of screen passes the Rams like to throw. But the Rams also have Gurley, and Goff can throw deep. Still, experience counts, and I'll take the Falcons as my upset.

BUF@JAG - The Bills are riding high, and Jacksonville ended the season with two almost meaningless losses. But Jacksonville's defense is way more deep and dynamic than anything Buffalo can toss at them.

CAR@NO - Twice this season the Saints beat the Panthers (by 21, and 10), and I think they will again. They are my dark horse for the whole playoffs. Cam will have some big plays, but the Panther defense has not been playing great of late, and I think in the end the Saints will just overwhelm them in the Superdome.

I should also note the four teams with byes are likely to be favored next week, but if one team is ripe for an upset, it's Philly, without Wentz. Foles hasn't been consistent enough. He never really has, and likely won't be now. Minnesota will be very difficult to beat at home, no matter who goes there.

In the AFC I just don't see the Patriots losing, though they could to Pittsburgh maybe, but at home?

Another way I slice this is: Big name QB's tend to carry teams in big games and in the playoffs. That means Brady, Brees, Roethlesburger, and maybe Ryan. Cam can be dynamic, but I don't see him carrying the Panthers far enough. Smith is consistently good, rarely great. Goff too young, Bortles, Mariota, Taylor, Foles I don't see them carrying their teams more than a game. That leaves Case Keenum. Hmmm.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re: National Football League

03 Jan 2018 00:25

BullsFan22 wrote:Really cool to see them sneak in to the playoffs after almost 20 years of nothing. I think the 'snow bowl' game from a couple weeks ago really was the make or break point for them and they won it.

Sad way for the season to end for the Hawks, but it was such a typical 2017 Seahawk game. Slow start, apart from the 99 yard return. The offense struggling, Wilson carrying the team with a comeback in the 4th, aaaand Blair Walsh AGAIN missing a field goal. Of course it was all academic at that point, as the Falcons were already through, but still, to lose your final game (at home, what's more) with a missed field goal....pretty depressing. The game against the Redskins where so many things went wrong for them, but still should have won, will be the one that did them in. A couple bad calls from Carroll and missed FG's by Walsh.

Surely Walsh has missed his last kick for the Hawks ?
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

03 Jan 2018 00:34

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Here are some early picks.

TEN@KC - The Titans barely made the playoffs and were more inconsistent than KC, who have quietly won 4 in a row. In KC, I just don't see them losing this game at home.

ATL@LAR - If there is one game I think could be an upset this weekend, it's this one. The Falcons, if they can just play four quarters, are as dangerous as any team left. I also think on defense they have the ability to stop the endless stream of screen passes the Rams like to throw. But the Rams also have Gurley, and Goff can throw deep. Still, experience counts, and I'll take the Falcons as my upset.

BUF@JAG - The Bills are riding high, and Jacksonville ended the season with two almost meaningless losses. But Jacksonville's defense is way more deep and dynamic than anything Buffalo can toss at them.

CAR@NO - Twice this season the Saints beat the Panthers (by 21, and 10), and I think they will again. They are my dark horse for the whole playoffs. Cam will have some big plays, but the Panther defense has not been playing great of late, and I think in the end the Saints will just overwhelm them in the Superdome.

I should also note the four teams with byes are likely to be favored next week, but if one team is ripe for an upset, it's Philly, without Wentz. Foles hasn't been consistent enough. He never really has, and likely won't be now. Minnesota will be very difficult to beat at home, no matter who goes there.

In the AFC I just don't see the Patriots losing, though they could to Pittsburgh maybe, but at home?

Another way I slice this is: Big name QB's tend to carry teams in big games and in the playoffs. That means Brady, Brees, Roethlesburger, and maybe Ryan. Cam can be dynamic, but I don't see him carrying the Panthers far enough. Smith is consistently good, rarely great. Goff too young, Bortles, Mariota, Taylor, Foles I don't see them carrying their teams more than a game. That leaves Case Keenum. Hmmm.

I think Kansas sneak by the Titans. Neither team are a threat.

Rams too good for the Falcons I think especially with Gurley and Donald. Goff will do enough.

Can't see the Bills beating the Jags especially if McCoy is either out or not 100% but if the Jags play without discipline like they did against the 49ers and with the Bills being on a high it could be close.

Saints to beat the Panthers.

I think Pittsburgh have a real shot at the SB and along with the Rams maybe the only other team that could beat the Patriots. Not so sure about the Saints even though they have had a good season. I have a feeling the Jags have peaked already same with the Eagles and without Wentz don't see them getting it done. Vikings are good defensively but have trouble seeing their offense being good enough against the best teams.
Last edited by movingtarget on 03 Jan 2018 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
movingtarget
Veteran

03 Jan 2018 10:15

movingtarget
Veteran

03 Jan 2018 17:25

Seattle fan take:
-Too many attitudes
--too many penalties that kill SEA drives/extend opp drives, too many distractions, pouty play
-Too many injures
-Poor roster selection
-Poor coaching
-Poor execution

I would like to see Pete stay, but Cable and Bevell need to go so that may include Pete if they are his guys. They need to clear the attitudes, bring in a few solid vets, and draft well (including a kicker).
jmdirt

Re:

03 Jan 2018 17:30

Maybe Case will be the next big name QB. Since my teams are out, I would really like to see the Vikes win a home Superbowl. Its a tall order, but its not out of the question.
jmdirt

Re:

03 Jan 2018 23:11

jmdirt wrote:Seattle fan take:
-Too many attitudes
--too many penalties that kill SEA drives/extend opp drives, too many distractions, pouty play
-Too many injures
-Poor roster selection
-Poor coaching
-Poor execution

I would like to see Pete stay, but Cable and Bevell need to go so that may include Pete if they are his guys. They need to clear the attitudes, bring in a few solid vets, and draft well (including a kicker).

Pete might retire same as Arians. If so what a shake up for the NFC West.
movingtarget
Veteran

03 Jan 2018 23:12

jmdirt wrote:

Maybe Case will be the next big name QB. Since my teams are out, I would really like to see the Vikes win a home Superbowl. Its a tall order, but its not out of the question.

Yeah of the remaining teams I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikings do well.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jan 2018 01:22

Both Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold declared for the draft. This puts the Browns in a solid position in that while Rosen has implied he has no interest in playing for Cleveland, Darnold just seems happy to be considered for the top pick. But what if Cleveland and NYG swap picks, and the Giants take Rosen and Darnold isn't the top pick? This draft also has Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen. All considered plausible first round picks.

To be honest, if you consider that they are the youngest team in the NFL, have the 1st and 4th draft pick, and over $100m in cap space, their 2017 top pick (Myles Garrett) missed much of the season with minor injuries and has all along been considered a physical freak who needs support and a bit of time, there's everything on paper that says in the years to come the Browns should at least be decent, if not downright good. Even if they struggle, the flip side is both the Steelers and Ravens have no room under the cap, and the Steelers a low draft pick coming up.

Here's something else to consider when thinking about QB's to be drafted. Where do you think Case Keenum, Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater are going to play next year? The Vikings can't even keep two of them. Also, is it guaranteed that Kirk Cousins stays in Washington? Is AJ McCarren a starter? I think it's possible. Tyrod Taylor doesn't seem to be in favor in Buffalo, but he has shown he can start and play well on a marginal team. And here's another thought. Alex Smith had the best year of his career, lead the NFL in passer rating, and threw for over 4,000 yards. Also word is in the locker room he has full support from his teammates, without question. The Chiefs were expecting him to slip, obviously, when they took Mahomes. Do they keep Alex next year?
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

Re:

04 Jan 2018 02:20

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Both Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold declared for the draft. This puts the Browns in a solid position in that while Rosen has implied he has no interest in playing for Cleveland, Darnold just seems happy to be considered for the top pick. But what if Cleveland and NYG swap picks, and the Giants take Rosen and Darnold isn't the top pick? This draft also has Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen. All considered plausible first round picks.

To be honest, if you consider that they are the youngest team in the NFL, have the 1st and 4th draft pick, and over $100m in cap space, their 2017 top pick (Myles Garrett) missed much of the season with minor injuries and has all along been considered a physical freak who needs support and a bit of time, there's everything on paper that says in the years to come the Browns should at least be decent, if not downright good. Even if they struggle, the flip side is both the Steelers and Ravens have no room under the cap, and the Steelers a low draft pick coming up.

Here's something else to consider when thinking about QB's to be drafted. Where do you think Case Keenum, Sam Bradford or Teddy Bridgewater are going to play next year? The Vikings can't even keep two of them. Also, is it guaranteed that Kirk Cousins stays in Washington? Is AJ McCarren a starter? I think it's possible. Tyrod Taylor doesn't seem to be in favor in Buffalo, but he has shown he can start and play well on a marginal team. And here's another thought. Alex Smith had the best year of his career, lead the NFL in passer rating, and threw for over 4,000 yards. Also word is in the locker room he has full support from his teammates, without question. The Chiefs were expecting him to slip, obviously, when they took Mahomes. Do they keep Alex next year?

i think Cousins will move on maybe to the Giants now that the 49ers interest has disappeared. Bradford might also move on, will probably have to. Taylor is almost certain to go but the Bills won't be playing their current back up after his disastrous first game so they need a QB. Smith will probably feel under threat but I think he will stay at least for another year. Cardinals now need another starter as Carlton Palmer has retired, no surprise. Gabbert and Stanton are not very good. Denver will also be interested in Cousins you would think but Elway doesn't like paying too much for QBs. Probably the biggest mistake Kaepernick made was not taking the pay cut and going to Denver but at that time he obviously thought there would be other teams interested. Maybe reaching the playoffs will save Taylor.

The Bengals coach has survived which surprised me, Jackson will get another year to show some improvement at the Browns. The Green Bay coach might be under threat next season.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

04 Jan 2018 05:57

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Both Josh Rosen and Sam Darnold declared for the draft. This puts the Browns in a solid position in that while Rosen has implied he has no interest in playing for Cleveland, Darnold just seems happy to be considered for the top pick. But what if Cleveland and NYG swap picks, and the Giants take Rosen and Darnold isn't the top pick? This draft also has Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen. All considered plausible first round picks.

IF Case wins the SB with MIN, they can't let him go...can they? Really, I think that he is QB1 there no matter what else happens this year. I think that they will try to keep two of those three with Bradford the most likely to move. With that said, CLE should grab Bradford or Cousins if they can. They need a leader behind center NOW. Drafting a QB is too much of a crap shoot. Get an established guy to win with now and also mentor the young guy (Kizer or other).
jmdirt

Re:

04 Jan 2018 10:40

Alpe d'Huez wrote:And here's another thought. Alex Smith had the best year of his career, lead the NFL in passer rating, and threw for over 4,000 yards. Also word is in the locker room he has full support from his teammates, without question. The Chiefs were expecting him to slip, obviously, when they took Mahomes. Do they keep Alex next year?
Where did you hear about the word from the locker room that Smith had such high esteem from his teammates? (A few weeks ago, word from the Broncos locker room was that Joseph was going to be fired but that turned out to be "fake news" as VJ gets another year). I don't see how teammates supposedly think Smith is so wonderful as KC got lucky this year winning just barely enough games to take the division in what was a really poor division this year. If neither Denver or Oakland weren't so terrible this year, KC is staying home. And Smith sucked in those back to back losses to the Bills & Jets in early December - both games were winnable in the closing minutes and Smith failed to deliver.

If KC doesn't get to the Super Bowl this year, I don't see how the organization justifies keeping Smith around next season. And what do you say to the Texas Gunslinger? Please stick around and hold a clipboard another year for us. Lol. Was Mahomes drafted as the *10th OA* to play or sit the bench behind a QB that can't get the team to the SB? I can think of six teams that would gladly take Mahomes in a heartbeat and give him a chance to compete for the starting job; Denver, Arizona, NY Jets, Cleveland, Pittsburgh (contigent if Big Ben retires) & possibly Indy (if Luck can't come back).

What a sad deal for the kid from Texas to have sit the bench on what appears to be a mediocre team that doesn't look to be winning a Super Bowl anytime soon.
Nomad

04 Jan 2018 11:31

Nomad wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:And here's another thought. Alex Smith had the best year of his career, lead the NFL in passer rating, and threw for over 4,000 yards. Also word is in the locker room he has full support from his teammates, without question. The Chiefs were expecting him to slip, obviously, when they took Mahomes. Do they keep Alex next year?
Where did you hear about the word from the locker room that Smith had such high esteem from his teammates? (A few weeks ago, word from the Broncos locker room was that Joseph was going to be fired but that turned out to be "fake news" as VJ gets another year). I don't see how teammates supposedly think Smith is so wonderful as KC got lucky this year winning just barely enough games to take the division in what was a really poor division this year. If neither Denver or Oakland weren't so terrible this year, KC is staying home. And Smith sucked in those back to back losses to the Bills & Jets in early December - both games were winnable in the closing minutes and Smith failed to deliver.

If KC doesn't get to the Super Bowl this year, I don't see how the organization justifies keeping Smith around next season. And what do you say to the Texas Gunslinger? Please stick around and hold a clipboard another year for us. Lol. Was Mahomes drafted as the *10th OA* to play or sit the bench behind a QB that can't get the team to the SB? I can think of six teams that would gladly take Mahomes in a heartbeat and give him a chance to compete for the starting job; Denver, Arizona, NY Jets, Cleveland, Pittsburgh (contigent if Big Ben retires) & possibly Indy (if Luck can't come back).

What a sad deal for the kid from Texas to have sit the bench on what appears to be a mediocre team that doesn't look to be winning a Super Bowl anytime soon.

It's inevitable that Smith will move on but will it be next season. Smith could even retire who knows I mean if Kansas look to trade him or let him go. If Reid thought Mahomes was the answer why didn't he start more games ? Plenty of teams I think would be interested in Mahomes. Ik Kansas have another slump next season Smith will probably be replaced for good if Mahomes lives up to the hype. I am sort of thinking that scenario is possible. Smith can be pretty up and down. The way Reid was talking about Mahomes before the draft I don't think he is going anywhere but Reid still must think Smith is the best option in the short term.

Ben is probably one injury away from retirement. No certainty Luck will ever be the same. If Smith needed to play for another team he won't gave trouble finding a position but it probably won't be one of the better teams.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Jan 2018 14:23

Nomad wrote:Where did you hear about the word from the locker room that Smith had such high esteem from his teammates?

It's been said many times. Where have you heard otherwise?

KC Star:
"I must stress — for the 50th time — the feeling I get is the locker room is 100 percent in support of Alex."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article192215154.html

One of the pundits on the NFL Network also said it. In fact, I can't recall seeing a single expert, esteemed, marginal, unknown, otherwise, saying the opposite. Tony Dungee, who I have a tremendous amount of respect for, even said when the team was struggling that what they needed to do was put the ball in Alex hands.

Is Alex going to win the Superbowl for the Chiefs? Er, I don't see that. In fact, while I think they can beat Tennessee, and Alex may play well in the game (though KC has struggled against them), I don't possibly see them beating Pittsburgh - who they match-up poorly with, and lost to earlier this year (at home), or a rematch with New England, who they wiped in week 1.

But I don't see Pat Mahomes leading them to a division title next year either (I'll pick Gruden's Raiders to do that). I do think it was smart to play him against Denver. Though the Broncos had nothing to play for, they still have a solid D, and Mahomes performed well.

Here's a good article on Alex. What he has done in KC, but why they may move on from him anyway:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/chiefs-alex-smith-deserves-some-appreciation/df2UEQikDAnOrHT8VMgBtL/

Smith has one more year on his contract, at $17m, plus some bonuses. No team, or player, likes to have a player who they expect to keep, hanging on to a final year. But what are the Chiefs going to do, pay Smith, who is now 34, $20+ million a year on a 3 year extension? Then eat the money if he doesn't perform well? KC also has little cap space. It's a conundrum.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran

04 Jan 2018 22:09

Alpe d'Huez wrote:
Nomad wrote:Where did you hear about the word from the locker room that Smith had such high esteem from his teammates?

It's been said many times. Where have you heard otherwise?

KC Star:
"I must stress — for the 50th time — the feeling I get is the locker room is 100 percent in support of Alex."

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article192215154.html

One of the pundits on the NFL Network also said it. In fact, I can't recall seeing a single expert, esteemed, marginal, unknown, otherwise, saying the opposite. Tony Dungee, who I have a tremendous amount of respect for, even said when the team was struggling that what they needed to do was put the ball in Alex hands.

Is Alex going to win the Superbowl for the Chiefs? Er, I don't see that. In fact, while I think they can beat Tennessee, and Alex may play well in the game (though KC has struggled against them), I don't possibly see them beating Pittsburgh - who they match-up poorly with, and lost to earlier this year (at home), or a rematch with New England, who they wiped in week 1.

But I don't see Pat Mahomes leading them to a division title next year either (I'll pick Gruden's Raiders to do that). I do think it was smart to play him against Denver. Though the Broncos had nothing to play for, they still have a solid D, and Mahomes performed well.

Here's a good article on Alex. What he has done in KC, but why they may move on from him anyway:

http://www.myajc.com/sports/chiefs-alex-smith-deserves-some-appreciation/df2UEQikDAnOrHT8VMgBtL/

Smith has one more year on his contract, at $17m, plus some bonuses. No team, or player, likes to have a player who they expect to keep, hanging on to a final year. But what are the Chiefs going to do, pay Smith, who is now 34, $20+ million a year on a 3 year extension? Then eat the money if he doesn't perform well? KC also has little cap space. It's a conundrum.

The Cardinals would probably take Smith looking at their other QBs on the roster but not everyone wants to make a fresh start at 34. Smith wouldn't be such a bad guy to mentor a rookie QB for a year or two and the Cardinals will be looking to draft one you would think. He has a young family so maybe retirement is more probable. Health wise he doesn't seem as beat up as many other QBs that age or even younger. Cardinals will be in rebuild mode and eventually Seattle will as well while the 49ers are well into that phase already.
movingtarget
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General