Log in:  

Register

National Football League

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

28 Sep 2018 23:12

One thing that was nice to see was Goff pushing the ball down the field more. Last year he threw an awful lot of screens and short outs, with some long throws here and there. Not that the Rams are going to turn him into Kurt Warner and the "greatest show on turf", but he's looking quite good.

That's good about Eric Reid, but one thing caught my eye, his grievance against the NFL wasn't dropped in the process. Interesting.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,236
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

28 Sep 2018 23:49

a brief pause from NFL related news....

I'm very excited today, it's the Grand Final in the AFL and for the first time ever those who reside stateside will have a hometown guy to cheer on, Texan and former OSU basketballer Mason Cox picked up the sport 4 years ago and has made his way into the team for the Collingwood Magpies (one of the biggest clubs in Australia (if not the biggest)).

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/travis-ford-conversation-wasnt-expecting/#s9o220Ub489HetfH.97

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/24815489/afl-grand-final-collingwood-mason-cox-inspired-jimmy-stynes

Should be a great game today - if you can catch a stream or see it it will be worth your while - 100,000 people cheering the teams on, the pinnacle of the game with 2 great attacking sides battling it out for the ultimate prize.

:D

And now back to NFL related news
User avatar leftover pie
Member
 
Posts: 595
Joined: 13 Jul 2010 05:06

Re:

29 Sep 2018 13:53

leftover pie wrote:a brief pause from NFL related news....

I'm very excited today, it's the Grand Final in the AFL and for the first time ever those who reside stateside will have a hometown guy to cheer on, Texan and former OSU basketballer Mason Cox picked up the sport 4 years ago and has made his way into the team for the Collingwood Magpies (one of the biggest clubs in Australia (if not the biggest)).

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/travis-ford-conversation-wasnt-expecting/#s9o220Ub489HetfH.97

http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/24815489/afl-grand-final-collingwood-mason-cox-inspired-jimmy-stynes

Should be a great game today - if you can catch a stream or see it it will be worth your while - 100,000 people cheering the teams on, the pinnacle of the game with 2 great attacking sides battling it out for the ultimate prize.

:D

And now back to NFL related news

Amazing story really. OFC I had to vote Collingwood FTW. Coxy even dumped his Texan accent for full on Aussie. Now THAT'S an improvement! I'd watch the Grandy for sure if we got it here. Go Magpies!
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,959
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

Re:

29 Sep 2018 14:51

Alpe d'Huez wrote:One thing that was nice to see was Goff pushing the ball down the field more. Last year he threw an awful lot of screens and short outs, with some long throws here and there. Not that the Rams are going to turn him into Kurt Warner and the "greatest show on turf", but he's looking quite good

Related to how Goff has been brought along by Mcvey, I must say ATM I was wrong about the success RPO would have in the NFL. About one year ago I said RPO would not stick in the NFL for several reasons, the main reason being that NFL defenders are across the board more athletic than college defenders making it difficult for RPO plays to be successful in the NFL. Wrong, while some elements what I said then I think are correct. According to NFL analyst Bucky Brooks, we are seeing a number of NFL teams with young QBs having success with RPO. Bucky says by infusing easily-learned RPO into playbooks, coordinators are able to make use much sooner of their drafted QBs (who ran RPO offenses in college), then over a course of 4 years introduce the young QB to more pro-style plays. So now Goff, now in his 3rd NFL year, is getting introduced to a larger playbook.

The other interesting thing Bucky said is how the league's (NFL & college) are impacting each other has changed with regard to how the game is played. Decades ago it was all trickling down from NFL to college. Now, the style of play in college is tricking up to the NFL. But NFL coaches have to accept that idea. Maybe Jeff Fisher (former Rams HC) and KC's Andy Reid (with both Mahomes and Alex Smith) were not.

This new blueprint for building a powerhouse (e.g. Wentz-Eagles, Goff-Rams), where teams only have to pay a young QB minimally so they can spread their cap money on other positions, might stick around for quite a while. The only trouble with this is what happens to the roster when teams have to start paying their starting QBs megamillions? Time will tell.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,959
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

30 Sep 2018 13:31

Time will tell, like, now. Take a look at Seattle with Wilson and their OL. Or what happened when the Ravens handed huge checks to Flacco just a couple years ago, and he's somewhat underperformed every since. The Giants have also overpaid Eli Manning every contract he's had since his rookie one. Look at how good they've been in recent years. Of course we could create a big list of overpaid QBs. That would be easy.

NYJ@JAX - Jags lost last week in a game they should have won, but weren't blown out. Back to the mean here.
MIA@NE - Regression to the mean here too. But the game could be very close.
PHI@TEN - My upset of the week. Titans are surprisingly balanced, and well prepped with new coach.
HOU@IND - Houston's slide continues, Indy's improvement does too, at home.
BUF@GB - Last week's Bills win a minor fluke they can't repeat.
DET@DAL - Tough game to pick. Cowboys at home.
TB@CHI - Another potential upset, but TB comes a little back to earth against superb D of Chicago.
CIN@ATL - Injuries or not, Falcons win at home behind stellar offense.
SEA@ARI - Josh Rosen's first start meets improving Seahawk defense.
CLE@OAK - Oakland finally gets a win, but very curious to see how Mayfield plays.
NO@NYG - Saints improving every week, one of the best teams in the league.
SF@SD - Chargers are for real, and Niners prep for a rough season.
BAL@PIT - Steelers started to look like them selves, and accepting Bell will never be back in that locker room.

KC@DEN - Mahomes and the Chiefs continue to roll, but I don't see a blowout. Recall last year the team started red hot as well.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,236
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

30 Sep 2018 14:41

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Time will tell, like, now. Take a look at Seattle with Wilson and their OL. Or what happened when the Ravens handed huge checks to Flacco just a couple years ago, and he's somewhat underperformed every since. The Giants have also overpaid Eli Manning every contract he's had since his rookie one. Look at how good they've been in recent years. Of course we could create a big list of overpaid QBs. That would be easy.

NYJ@JAX - Jags lost last week in a game they should have won, but weren't blown out. Back to the mean here.
MIA@NE - Regression to the mean here too. But the game could be very close.
PHI@TEN - My upset of the week. Titans are surprisingly balanced, and well prepped with new coach.
HOU@IND - Houston's slide continues, Indy's improvement does too, at home.
BUF@GB - Last week's Bills win a minor fluke they can't repeat.
DET@DAL - Tough game to pick. Cowboys at home.
TB@CHI - Another potential upset, but TB comes a little back to earth against superb D of Chicago.
CIN@ATL - Injuries or not, Falcons win at home behind stellar offense.
SEA@ARI - Josh Rosen's first start meets improving Seahawk defense.
CLE@OAK - Oakland finally gets a win, but very curious to see how Mayfield plays.
NO@NYG - Saints improving every week, one of the best teams in the league.
SF@SD - Chargers are for real, and Niners prep for a rough season.
BAL@PIT - Steelers started to look like them selves, and accepting Bell will never be back in that locker room.

KC@DEN - Mahomes and the Chiefs continue to roll, but I don't see a blowout. Recall last year the team started red hot as well.

As usual, hard to argue, but:
MIA over NE
PHI over TEN
CLE over OAK
BAL over PIT
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,233
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

30 Sep 2018 15:55

I would have told you @3 weeks ago that I would certainly not be watching a Browns game..I plan to watch one for the first time today..go figure
Unchained
Member
 
Posts: 910
Joined: 05 Sep 2016 00:24

Re:

01 Oct 2018 13:57

Alpe d'Huez wrote:KC@DEN - Mahomes and the Chiefs continue to roll, but I don't see a blowout. Recall last year the team started red hot as well.
I agree...I don't see a blowout. It was here in Denver last year that Mahomes made his first start & rookie debut in KC's regular season final (resting Smith for the playoffs). A 27-24 win by KC with Mahomes leading a game-winning drive for a walkoff FG. I'm sure the coaches will be reminding the players of this for a little "revenge" factor.

Interestingly, there's not a lot of hype on this game as the city is painted purple with the Rockies securing a playoff spot and playing the Dodgers today for the division title.
Nomad
Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: 20 Apr 2016 01:39

02 Oct 2018 23:37

That was quite the game last night! Both teams came to play, and win. It looked like for over 3 quarters like the Broncos had, or could do enough to contain Mahomes and the Chiefs offense, but what a stellar performance by KC to pull it out. First, what gritty, determined play by Mahomes! But also the KC running game made some great plays. But let's also credit the KC coaching staff, specifically Andy Reid, obviously. He was able to adapt their game plan when Mahomes struggled at times, and it looked like a slightly different offense late in the game. Also credit Mahomes himself for the plays he did change, and execution, and Kareem Hunt for some big runs. The Broncos have to be smarting a little as just a couple plays in their favor could have changed the game.

There were other games, and players that shined as well this week, some thoughts:

I'm starting to think the Bengals, and Andy Dalton are may be for real. They're in first place, with only one loss, at Carolina. They next play Miami, then Pittsburgh, and @ KC, then a bye, and at the Saints. We'll know more then, but they sure looked good yesterday, stepping up when they needed to on both sides of the ball.

Tampa did indeed come back to reality, like I thought, against a rapidly turning great defense in Chicago. The Bears sure feed of Mack's presence. Amazing how one great player can do that. But I'm not sure what Tampa will do at QB now. Winston played maybe worse than Fitzpatrick.

The Bills also came back to reality, despite Josh Allen making some nice throws. Aaron Rodgers just picked them apart, though the entire offense didn't seem in sync from what I saw. He was a little more mobile but still looked slow at times. They play at Detroit, then SF, then a bye before visiting the Rams, then off to New England. We'll know how they, and Rodgers, are playing then.

And Miami came back to earth as well, getting blown out by a very focused Brady and New England. Recall that many years the Patriots have started out looking vulnerable, then by December look like a Super Bowl shoe in.

On the up side of things, the Saints also looked like they should, again, moving to 3-1. Apparently right when their plane got back to New Orleans, Mark Ingram was there waiting to meet them at the gate, giving the team an emotional boost. They play Washington next week, then a bye, followed by five tough games in a row, @BAL, @MIN, LAR, @CIN, and PHI.

Glad I was right picking Tennessee over Philly. Despite their inability to run, their defense kept them in the game, getting to Wentz a lot, and Mariota made some key throws when they needed him to. As I said before, they look like a surprisingly balanced, disciplined, deep and well prepared team under Mike Vrabel. They play @Buffalo, Baltimore, @LAC (who might have Bosa back then). On Nov 11th they have the Patriots at home.

What happened in Seattle with Earl Thomas is one for the books, flipping off the Seattle sideline. I'm not sure exactly who he was upset at specifically, probably the team in general for their rule that they don't negotiate with players who don't show up and play, but then perhaps not negotiating with Earl in good faith? Now, he's going to miss the entire season, then be a UFA, and someone will pick him up for far less than he would have likely made ($8.5m this year). Bobby Wagner seemed to completely support Earl. His playing sure puts Le'Veon Bell's holding out in new perspective, doesn't it? I'd hold out too at this point if I were Le'Veon.

Tough loss for Cleveland. I think the only real frustrating thing now isn't that they suck, because they clearly do not, but how agonizingly close they are to being a pretty good team.

Finally, the Ravens again look solid, and I think the best that division, easily handling the Steelers.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,236
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re: National Football League

04 Oct 2018 16:18

Yes that MNF game was stellar. Mahomes turning out to be everything that's been said. TTTO, in practice yesterday he threw a ball 90 yards.

Well, what can I say about Earl Thomas. This. Character shows when the going gets tough. He doesn't like his contract? Boo hoo. He is the 6th highest paid safety in the league making a bit over $10M. Drew Brees is the 7th highest paid QB, Brady the 16th highest, Rivers 14th highest, and the list like that goes on (all from overthecap.com). So, it's not like Seattle has mistreated him financially. Also, Seattle's cap situation is not favorable right now to sign him to a new deal. They only have $4.6M cap room now, but will have over $63M in 2019. Doesn't take much to understand when he should push Seattle for a bigger deal - IF he wants to stay in Seattle.

And as for staying in Seattle, this may be Carroll's last year as HC. After I saw his kiss-a** player-friendly response to Earl's 3-finger salute to the Seattle sideline, Carroll is not doing much to help players exhibit their better self. But the NFL is not a boys choir either. Still, I give Pete's response a thumbs down.
Last edited by on3m@n@rmy on 05 Oct 2018 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,959
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

Re: National Football League

05 Oct 2018 00:31

As a Chiefs fan, I'm licking my chops. When they moved up and drafted him, I YouTubed my self and saw something that was special. The Gruden QB camp was an eye-opener (see the vid on YouTube). Mahomes was the best QB of his class. The week 17 game last year was a confirmation.

Pat Mahomes spent one year learning from Andy R. and Alex, a seasoned veteran, not a bum, and he learned a lot. Now it's showtime.

There will be bumps, but he's the real thing. Defense sucks, at some point it will catch up. My Superbowl dream may wait...but I feel it's coming.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,156
Joined: 17 May 2013 18:59

05 Oct 2018 01:49

IND@NE - Easy
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,236
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

05 Oct 2018 03:32

The game was easy because Indy didn't want to win (a few individuals maybe, but the team, no).
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,233
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: National Football League

05 Oct 2018 09:06

Yep, easy win for NE even though Indy pulled within 7 points in 2nd half.

As for wanting to win as a team, players first have to want to be great on an individual level. So, how many players in the professional NFL truely want to be great? According to former NFL tight end Tony Gonzalez, you be shocked at how many players don't care about being great & are content just collecting a paycheck. This is prolly a bit exaggerated, but how about only 3% of players caring? The point is, per TG, many don't care. Hear for yourself on Colin Cowherd, hosting Deangelo Hall, starting at the 4:10 mark of the video, discussing what made Hall upset with players:
https://youtu.be/Vm4avifpjS4
[Lots of other intetesting discussion in that link]
Ironic that NFL players may not be as professional as we might believe.
User avatar on3m@n@rmy
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,959
Joined: 17 Jun 2010 12:25
Location: PNW

05 Oct 2018 12:35

Coaches too, that's for sure. You get further down the staff, and for a very high percentage, it's just a job.

I'll give it a listen.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,236
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re: National Football League

05 Oct 2018 12:38

on3m@n@rmy wrote:Yep, easy win for NE even though Indy pulled within 7 points in 2nd half.

As for wanting to win as a team, players first have to want to be great on an individual level. So, how many players in the professional NFL truely want to be great? According to former NFL tight end Tony Gonzalez, you be shocked at how many players don't care about being great & are content just collecting a paycheck. This is prolly a bit exaggerated, but how about only 3% of players caring? The point is, per TG, many don't care. Hear for yourself on Colin Cowherd, hosting Deangelo Hall, starting at the 4:10 mark of the video, discussing what made Hall upset with players:
https://youtu.be/Vm4avifpjS4
[Lots of other intetesting discussion in that link]
Ironic that NFL players may not be as professional as we might believe.

Thanks for the link...lots of good stuff in that one! I've frequently said that half of the players are doing everything they can to win, and the other half are playing to make money. The thing is, the guys playing to win are the ones who end up making the most money. Maybe I've way over estimated the number of guys playing to win. I think that the genetic freaks can make a great living on talent alone. I wonder if the increase in injuries is due to guys not doing what it takes in the off season?

"You can't get money chasing girls, but you can get girls chasing money." :)

I'll go hang out in NOLA with Drew if he calls! :)
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,233
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

05 Oct 2018 19:13

Not sure I'll be able to post again by Sunday, so here goes:

TEN@BUF
ATL@PIT - Home win.
DEN@NYJ - Home win too.
JAX@KC - Should be fun to watch, all offense against all defense!
GB@DET
BAL@CLE - Have a feeling Browns will lose another very close one.
NYG@CAR
MIA@CIN
OAK@SD - Chargers slowly improving.
ARI@SF
MIN@PHI - Both good teams need a win, went with home.
LAR@SEA
DAL@HOU

WAS@NO - Record breaking night for Brees.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,236
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

06 Oct 2018 03:53

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Not sure I'll be able to post again by Sunday, so here goes:

TEN@BUF
ATL@PIT - Home win.
DEN@NYJ - Home win too.
JAX@KC - Should be fun to watch, all offense against all defense!
GB@DET
BAL@CLE - Have a feeling Browns will lose another very close one.
NYG@CAR
MIA@CIN
OAK@SD - Chargers slowly improving.
ARI@SF
MIN@PHI - Both good teams need a win, went with home.
LAR@SEA
DAL@HOU

WAS@NO - Record breaking night for Brees.

So as usual, hard to argue...I actually agree with you 100%, but since SEA is my team I have to take them!
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,233
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re: National Football League

06 Oct 2018 17:27

I think I'll take detroit at home against pack. Lions not that bad a team, lost two coin flips. Pack don't seem anywhere near as good as they were supposed to be, yet.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran
 
Posts: 28,916
Joined: 14 Jun 2010 10:58
Location: London.

08 Oct 2018 10:01

What's happened to the Falcons ? 49ers game was a train wreck. Both teams will be featuring near the top of the next Draft. Seattle pushed the Rams more than i expected. Bengals doing nicely so far.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,547
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Back to top