Log in:  

Register

Best/favorite TV series ever

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

24 May 2017 05:15

So far, the style of the third season is more similar to his movies than the originals, I think.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,884
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

10 Jun 2017 16:20

I finished watching the original Twin Peaks yesterday. I can only agree with what's been said earlier in this thread. There's a very special vibe to the show that I've never experienced in any other TV series. Maybe it's Lynch's way of taking seemingly normal things and make them seem surreal, I don't know. I really appreciate the soundtrack also.

I wonder if the new series is as good as the original. Time to find out soon!
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,894
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

10 Jun 2017 16:59

Just started rewatching House MD again. Man, I do love that series.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re:

10 Jun 2017 17:06

Red Rick wrote:Just started rewatching House MD again. Man, I do love that series.


That was a good series but I think it ended at the right time. The final series was a bit of a drop off in quality. Really well acted.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

10 Jun 2017 18:36

Cance > TheRest wrote:I finished watching the original Twin Peaks yesterday. I can only agree with what's been said earlier in this thread. There's a very special vibe to the show that I've never experienced in any other TV series. Maybe it's Lynch's way of taking seemingly normal things and make them seem surreal, I don't know. I really appreciate the soundtrack also.

I wonder if the new series is as good as the original. Time to find out soon!

It's a good idea to watch Fire Walk With Me as well, but it's not necessary. Have you seen any Lynch movies? The third season is a mix between the first two seasons and his movies, style-wise.
Goodbye, Tommeke; thank you for all you have given us!
User avatar Netserk
Veteran
 
Posts: 18,884
Joined: 30 Apr 2011 13:10
Location: Denmark

10 Jun 2017 19:33

.................the banana bunch...............

one banana, two banana three banana, four
tour bananas make a bunch and so do many more
over hill and highway the banana buggies go
comin'’ on to bring you the banana splits show

Mark L
User avatar ebandit
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,918
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 18:24

Re: Re:

10 Jun 2017 22:49

movingtarget wrote:
Red Rick wrote:Just started rewatching House MD again. Man, I do love that series.


That was a good series but I think it ended at the right time. The final series was a bit of a drop off in quality. Really well acted.

Yeah I agree. The whole setup and with it revolving so much around one or a few characters meant it's days were limited. Wouldn't have it another way though. Some great, flawed characters there.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Re:

11 Jun 2017 09:44

Netserk wrote:
Cance > TheRest wrote:I finished watching the original Twin Peaks yesterday. I can only agree with what's been said earlier in this thread. There's a very special vibe to the show that I've never experienced in any other TV series. Maybe it's Lynch's way of taking seemingly normal things and make them seem surreal, I don't know. I really appreciate the soundtrack also.

I wonder if the new series is as good as the original. Time to find out soon!

It's a good idea to watch Fire Walk With Me as well, but it's not necessary. Have you seen any Lynch movies? The third season is a mix between the first two seasons and his movies, style-wise.

That sounds good. I've watched Blue Velvet and The Elephant Man. I'll give FWWM a watch too.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,894
Joined: 17 Apr 2013 18:38
Location: Denmark

27 Jun 2017 00:45

I'm not too much into watching TV but there were some shows I thought they were worth watching, Dexter, Mad Men, 3rd Rock From the Sun, Luther, BlackList (my favorite), (original) Twilight Zone, (original) Outer Limits, Last Man Standing, The Tool Man, Frazier, Hell on Wheels,...that's all I can think of on short notice, but it would be a short list. There was show I liked years ago called The FBI but I haven't seen it since, problem is most shows I liked as a kid I would see as an adult and the acting was horrid, so not sure if I would think the same thing if I saw The FBI again.
froze
Junior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: 23 Feb 2017 15:52
Location: NE Indiana

06 Aug 2017 18:08

...Endeavour is a great one....

Cheers
User avatar blutto
Veteran
 
Posts: 9,573
Joined: 04 Jul 2009 19:27

09 Aug 2017 04:34

Thrones is back, but DandD have ruined most of the good characters as they can't write good dialogue for intriguing characters. Littlefinger went from being the most scheming man in Westeros who could manipulate even the most powerful houses to being a moustache-twiddling sex pest, who just repeats the same conversation over and over again. He's almost as annoying as Dany. And Varys and Tyrion have become infinitely less interesting since Season 4, and the mighty Olenna is (spoiler) dead.
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,825
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

09 Aug 2017 06:15

Brullnux wrote:Thrones is back, but DandD have ruined most of the good characters as they can't write good dialogue for intriguing characters. Littlefinger went from being the most scheming man in Westeros who could manipulate even the most powerful houses to being a moustache-twiddling sex pest, who just repeats the same conversation over and over again. He's almost as annoying as Dany. And Varys and Tyrion have become infinitely less interesting since Season 4, and the mighty Olenna is (spoiler) dead.

Yeah, everything feels so incredibly rushed now. I think they've done quite a few things right this season, but they clearly have no idea what to do with a significant number of people who aren't really involved in the northern endgame.

And the travel bothers me. It's like they have teleporters now.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re: Re:

09 Aug 2017 08:48

Red Rick wrote:
Brullnux wrote:Thrones is back, but DandD have ruined most of the good characters as they can't write good dialogue for intriguing characters. Littlefinger went from being the most scheming man in Westeros who could manipulate even the most powerful houses to being a moustache-twiddling sex pest, who just repeats the same conversation over and over again. He's almost as annoying as Dany. And Varys and Tyrion have become infinitely less interesting since Season 4, and the mighty Olenna is (spoiler) dead.

Yeah, everything feels so incredibly rushed now. I think they've done quite a few things right this season, but they clearly have no idea what to do with a significant number of people who aren't really involved in the northern endgame.

And the travel bothers me. It's like they have teleporters now.


Yeah the lack of time between events is noticeable and the best actors keep disappearing while the Hound and Arya miraculously survived as fan favorites do. Littlefinger would have been written out of the show by now unless he was about to drop a bombshell of sorts which I think is going to happen. He's not the type of character to keep around just for cryptic conversations. He will either be killed off soon or do something that no one will expect. Never really bought Sansa's character either, the way it developed and Theon must still only be there because either something dreadful or heroic is planned for him. Take out Cersei, Ser Davos and Sam and the *** falls out of the whole thing because every time they appear, the series picks up a little. As for Bran, I suppose his role in the endgame is just starting.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

09 Aug 2017 14:59

Don't forget euron 'finger in de bum' greyjoy
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,825
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

16 Aug 2017 18:31

So the new GoT episode leaked. I'm really not sure what to think of it
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re:

16 Aug 2017 20:04

Brullnux wrote:Don't forget euron 'finger in de bum' greyjoy

TV Euron never happened, I dropped the whole show when I saw him and the lack of Victarion (probably my favourite POV character in the books) also sucks.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 4,603
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

16 Aug 2017 20:53

At this point GoT is basically the Avengers in a medieval setting.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

Re:

17 Aug 2017 02:20

Red Rick wrote:At this point GoT is basically the Avengers in a medieval setting.


Spoiler alert for anyone that is not up to date with the series.

Yeah it's rushing towards the finish. This is where the structure of a book would have been handy as the basis for the script. The previous series was very predictable, and everyone expected the Hound, Arya and John Snow to all survive and they did. The strength of the early series was that some of the deaths were completely unpredictable which added to the suspense and the interest. Now it's just which villain dies next. The main cast will be there for the duration until the sorting out and the show also suffers for seeing most of the best actors killed off. The show really misses Charles Dance, Diana Rigg Jonathan Pryce and many others.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

17 Aug 2017 02:22

Mayomaniac wrote:
Brullnux wrote:Don't forget euron 'finger in de bum' greyjoy

TV Euron never happened, I dropped the whole show when I saw him and the lack of Victarion (probably my favourite POV character in the books) also sucks.


Euron is just irritating and and a pantomime villain. I have only read the first three books but everyone says that his character is much better in the books.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,975
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

17 Aug 2017 06:54

Euron in the books is even crazier, and very mysterious because he traveled to all the magical places.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,894
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Un Año Más

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jsem94 and 6 guests

Back to top