Register

Best/favorite TV series ever

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

Re: Re:

17 May 2016 21:12

kwikki wrote:
JackRabbitSlims wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
leftover pie wrote:For those who have finished "Breaking Bad" I urge you to get on board with "Better Call Saul" - have just finished season 2 of it and it's a really great watch, a storyline which burns slowly and characters with real depth - plus for those who have seen BB there's a lot of easter eggs in there to find.

I am watching Season One and enjoying it. Good to see the characters from Breaking Bad again like Mike and the Mexicans. Of course Saul is a great character.

Half way through season 2 and liking it more and more as it moves along......will remain in non-spoiler mode for those who wish to watch - ;)

I've really enjoyed it. Stunning writing, acting and cinematography.

ehmm, I finished watching S2 few weeks ago and I'm really looking forward to 3rd series!
OTOH I was a bit disappointed but mainly due to expactations.The story moves veeeery slowly (usually I dont mind, but this is too much) and this whole lawyers thing becomes kind of boring.Its true that lot of characters are super interesting, almost Breaking Bad level interesting :)
I enjoyed the 1st season probably a bit more, but this one had awesome episodes too, just there is too much long shots and rubbish in that.I just really dont know what 'stunning cinematography it has' :p (other series has it e.g. Fargo, Narcos etc)

But looking forward to the 3rs and the whole Mike line, and Saul situation turns out!
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

17 May 2016 21:18

Six episodes into 11.22.63. Just two to go.

At times, it drifts a bit from the plot to save Kennedy but it's still very enjoyable.

I haven't read the book, but that's my next stop.
User avatar gooner

17 May 2016 23:44

ILovecycling wrote:
kwikki wrote:
JackRabbitSlims wrote:
movingtarget wrote:
leftover pie wrote:For those who have finished "Breaking Bad" I urge you to get on board with "Better Call Saul" - have just finished season 2 of it and it's a really great watch, a storyline which burns slowly and characters with real depth - plus for those who have seen BB there's a lot of easter eggs in there to find.

I am watching Season One and enjoying it. Good to see the characters from Breaking Bad again like Mike and the Mexicans. Of course Saul is a great character.

Half way through season 2 and liking it more and more as it moves along......will remain in non-spoiler mode for those who wish to watch - ;)

ehmm, I finished watching S2 few weeks ago and I'm really looking forward to 3rd series!
OTOH I was a bit disappointed but mainly due to expactations.The story moves veeeery slowly (usually I dont mind, but this is too much) and this whole lawyers thing becomes kind of boring.Its true that lot of characters are super interesting, almost Breaking Bad level interesting :)
I enjoyed the 1st season probably a bit more, but this one had awesome episodes too, just there is too much long shots and rubbish in that.I just really dont know what 'stunning cinematography it has' :p (other series has it e.g. Fargo, Narcos etc)

But looking forward to the 3rs and the whole Mike line, and Saul situation turns out!

Without spoiling anything for anyone, there's one episode in bcs where a character takes a sniper rifle to an event, spends 10 minutes pointing it at different people, then decides he doesn't want to use it and goes home.

I do enjoy bcs, but I get the impression that the creators think that any scene, automatically becomes a "work of art" if you can find a way to pointlessly drag it out over minutes and minutes.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

18 May 2016 03:42

Very similar visually and in tone to Breaking Bad as you would expect with the same people involved. Of course the story line of Breaking Bad was more compelling but the quality of the acting in both series is top notch. BCS tends to be a bit lighter in tone but I find that some of the best episodes and scenes are the more serious ones.
movingtarget
Veteran

18 May 2016 14:55

Hitch
Without spoiling anything for anyone, there's one episode in bcs where a character takes a sniper rifle to an event, spends 10 minutes pointing it at different people, then decides he doesn't want to use it and goes home.

I do enjoy bcs, but I get the impression that the creators think that any scene, automatically becomes a "work of art" if you can find a way to pointlessly drag it out over minutes and minutes.

Exactly.Personally Im quite a big movie nerd and I definitely dont call this an 'art', that a BS for me. Like I said, if Gilligan wants to do art let him have a look at those series I wrote and couple of others (e.g. awesome cinematography in first 2 series of Lost, there is also True detective, BofB etc)

OTOH I enjoyed the scene you pointed out :D , but because I really like his story line.
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

20 May 2016 15:54

it was mostly ****** so far better call saul. i was really looking forward to it...too bad
User avatar jens_attacks
Veteran

20 May 2016 17:58

I like Ancient Aliens. That show is interesting.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

29 May 2016 19:56

Any info on True detective 3rd season?
Alberto Contador fanboy
User avatar ILovecycling
Veteran

29 May 2016 20:27

I recently finished Sons of Anarchy. Was pretty good, apart from the fact that everyone just starts **** everything up for no apparent reason from like season 5 onwards.

Right now I'm watching Archer. Its hilarious
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

29 May 2016 23:10

Archer is a good one. Surprised nobody has mentioned Vikings, my current addiction.
User avatar Fatclimber

30 May 2016 09:26

After month's of indifference i.e. not really watching as Mrs F chuckled away, I am now unashamedly addicted to The Big Bang Theory!!
User avatar ferryman

30 May 2016 09:34

Archer is brilliant. The new Top Gear came out last night, without the old trio of Clarkson, May and Hammond. The content was very similar, just with Chris Evans shouting everything AS LOUD AS HE COULD. He was awful.

Have I Got News For You is still going, though :)
Brullnux

Re:

30 May 2016 14:06

ILovecycling wrote:Any info on True detective 3rd season?

I don't think it's been cast yet. I have not read any news.
movingtarget
Veteran

30 May 2016 14:08

ILovecycling wrote:
kwikki wrote:
JackRabbitSlims wrote:
movingtarget wrote:

I just finished watching Season One and I really liked it.
movingtarget
Veteran

02 Nov 2016 19:39

Westworld is pretty damn good (so far).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(TV_series)

...funny, wikidumb won't accurately link. oh well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4
Last edited by Starstruck on 02 Nov 2016 20:46, edited 3 times in total.
Starstruck

02 Nov 2016 20:23

Finished watching Outcast Series One made by the same guy that made the The Walking Dead which I haven't seen yet. If like me you like to watch supernatural shows it's worth a watch. Interesting without being top quality, The episodes are a bit uneven in quality but I had to keep watching.
movingtarget
Veteran

02 Nov 2016 20:39

The Young Pope has started interestingly... Lenny is written as a Frank Underwood type character, and June Law so far has been extremely good. But let's see how it progresses. So far a 7 out of 10.
Brullnux

02 Nov 2016 21:21

Watched Wolf Hall which was a good series about Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn. Too bad it wasn't longer. Did not approach the quality of the Hilary Mantel books mainly due to having to condense two quite long books but it was good viewing anyway with strong performances. Something I could watch again. Also great to look at with high quality production values.
Last edited by movingtarget on 03 Nov 2016 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

02 Nov 2016 22:51

Starstruck wrote:Westworld is pretty damn good (so far).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westworld_(TV_series)

...funny, wikidumb won't accurately link. oh well...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuS5huqOND4

The latest episode, in particular, was very good.
"If I had stopped for coffee, they would have done the same. They never got off my wheel." - Fabian Cancellara after Paris-Roubaix 2011.
User avatar Cance > TheRest

Re:

15 Nov 2016 19:34

Brullnux wrote:The Young Pope has started interestingly... Lenny is written as a Frank Underwood type character, and June Law so far has been extremely good. But let's see how it progresses. So far a 7 out of 10.

It's been surprisingly good. I went in with low expectations watching it. Jude Law has been excellent.

Great news that Westword has been confirmed for Season 2.
User avatar gooner

PreviousNext

Return to General