Register

Oscar Pistorius

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Oscar Pistorius

28 Aug 2011 22:35

Probably a thread somewhere, but search didn't reveal it.

What a revolting farce it is seeing him in the 400m world championships.

If he had any talent he'd be running 42 seconds in his sleep - half expect him to pull it out of the bag in the final in mockery of the process.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

29 Aug 2011 02:08

Has been covered extensively by Ross @ The Science of Sport if anyone wants to read.

http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/08/scientific-interpretation-of-oscar.html
http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/08/scientific-evidence-for-advantage-for.html
http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/08/pistorius-12-sec-advantage-and.html
http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/08/performance-implications-of-pistorius.html

All told, what is the conclusion? The conclusion is that Oscar Pistorius runs a 400m race at a speed that is much, much more like his 200m race pace than any other 200m-400m runner in history. Why might this be? Remember the big picture - you have a theory, you have evidence, and you have a mechanism. All these factors suggest that Pistorius sprints at a lower metabolic cost, with less work required, and therefore, the implication is that as distance increases, his pace declines less than for other athletes.
Ferminal
Veteran

29 Aug 2011 02:11

Jinkies. From the thread title I thought that the most ludicrous "winner" of the TdF ever, Oscar Pereiro, had come out of retirement to run the 400 meters.
Give hate a chance.
-----------------------
Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."
User avatar Damiano Machiavelli

29 Aug 2011 03:24

Mechanical doping? :confused:

Kangaroos are efficient in locomotion as during the landings their legs act like springs and store energy to be released for the next bound - just like this runner's prosthetic carbon fiber "legs".
Velodude

29 Aug 2011 03:39

I am glad he is allowed to participate and if he wins, it's even better. :D

I hope he gives all these 'able bodied' athletes a drubbing.
User avatar Bala Verde
Veteran

29 Aug 2011 06:43

He's not going to win or even get a medal, so I don't see what the big deal is even if his bionic legs give him some kind of advantage.
User avatar spalco

29 Aug 2011 07:08

spalco wrote:He's not going to win or even get a medal, so I don't see what the big deal is even if his bionic legs give him some kind of advantage.

Maybe the posters above fear that promising young runners will start chopping their own legs off to get a chance at the big time.
Zinoviev Letter

29 Aug 2011 09:07

Bala Verde wrote:I am glad he is allowed to participate and if he wins, it's even better. :D

I hope he gives all these 'able bodied' athletes a drubbing.

Why? Out of pity? If I were disabled that kind of comment would make me puke.

If the prostheses give him an unfair advantage, he shouldn't participate. That's what the Paralympic Games are for.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

29 Aug 2011 09:35

spalco wrote:He's not going to win or even get a medal, so I don't see what the big deal is even if his bionic legs give him some kind of advantage.

A false precedent has been established. He doesn't need to become much better to medal or win. Technology doesn't need to become much better. And now they've let him run, it becomes much harder to block the next one, who actually has some talent.

He's opened the door for a talented amputee to make a mockery of the sport.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

29 Aug 2011 10:03

I don't see what the mockery is. If he's quick enough to compete, let him run. It's not like he's using a an electric wheelchair or something.

It's said that the German national football team had a significant advantage over its competition at the 1954 World Cup thanks to new shoes by Adidas - is that a mockery too?
User avatar spalco

29 Aug 2011 10:08

spalco wrote:I don't see what the mockery is. If he's quick enough to compete, let him run. It's not like he's using a an electric wheelchair or something.

It's said that the German national football team had a significant advantage over its competition at the 1954 World Cup thanks to new shoes by Adidas - is that a mockery too?

The mockery is that he's got a massive advantage, and there is already a seperate race for people using that equipment.

Yes, football boots are an exact parallel to equipment that allows you to run faster, for less energy expenditude, in a race that is entirely determined by how fast you can run at a given energy expenditure.

If you honestly think equipment that can turn the 10,000th best in the world in to a world championship contender does not pevert the sport, then fine, this thread is not for you.
Waterloo Sunrise
Veteran

29 Aug 2011 10:17

Waterloo Sunrise wrote:If you honestly think equipment that can turn the 10,000th best in the world in to a world championship contender does not pevert the sport, then fine, this thread is not for you.

Firstly, you pulled that number out of your ***. You can't possibly know how fast Pistorius would be on his own legs. Secondly, imo it's seld-evidently absurd to think a pair of carbon sticks work better for running than the human leg with all its joints and muscles and sinews and stuff that is the pinnacle of millions of years of development and complaining about that just sounds like sour grapes to me. And thirdly, it's not like he's using those artificial "legs" voluntarily. Call me again when Michael Johnson cuts off his legs and makes a comeback on prostheses.
User avatar spalco

29 Aug 2011 10:20

spalco wrote:Secondly, imo it's seld-evidently absurd to think a pair of carbon sticks work better for running than the human leg with all its joints and muscles and sinews and stuff that is the pinnacle of millions of years of development and complaining about that just sounds like sour grapes to me.

What is absurd is to dismiss the serious research that exists on this issue which suggests that, indeed, those carbon sticks do work better. Human legs have not evolved to be particularly fast, so that "pinnacle of evolution" thing is nonsense. Evolution doesn't mean betterment.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

29 Aug 2011 11:16

i had a thought about this and it preliminarily leads me to conclude that he should not be allowed to run.

what sort of safety precautions does he have in the event of a catastrophic carbon fiber failure? if in the event of a bone or ligament failure of a normal runner, the muscles and flesh serve as a support. for this support there is also a weight penalty.

so, unless there is some built in safety mechanism in his legs he has a weight advantage at the expense of safety. a typical world-class 400m runner can hit speeds of about 45 km/h. a carbon fiber failure at that speed would mean a very serious face plant.
User avatar gregod

29 Aug 2011 11:18

So, Pistorius last in the semis, happy now?
User avatar spalco

29 Aug 2011 11:18

it is moot now. he just came in last in his heat.
User avatar gregod

29 Aug 2011 11:20

spalco wrote:So, Pistorius last in the semis, happy now?

The argument is not about Pistorious per se.
User avatar hrotha
Veteran

29 Aug 2011 11:23

hrotha wrote:The argument is not about Pistorious per se.

But the CAS decision was not a precedent, it was definitively about Pistorius and nobody else. If a similar case comes up again sometime in the future it will be decided on its own merit as well.
User avatar spalco

29 Aug 2011 11:26

spalco wrote:But the CAS decision was not a precedent, it was definitively about Pistorius and nobody else. If a similar case comes up again sometime in the future it will be decided on its own merit as well.

as is should be. do you know if the CAS decision addressed the issues of weight and safety?
User avatar gregod

29 Aug 2011 11:28

No, sorry.
User avatar spalco

Next

Return to General