Register

Oscar Pistorius

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky, King Boonen

01 Nov 2014 13:32

Bustedknuckle wrote:Taurus handgun..

dum dum hollow tips
i raise you
"Hitler … didn't even sink to using chemical weapons."
User avatar blackcat
Veteran

19 Oct 2015 22:23

Pistorius was just released from prison, after about a year. Now he goes under house arrest for the next four years, assuming he doesn't lose the prosecution's appeal, which could send him back to jail. He may eventually be allowed to train, but from what I've heard, he will not be able to travel, which should prevent much of a come back running until he's in his early 30s. Some are comparing his situation to LA and his cancer work, suggesting he will try to improve his reputation by helping other kids with physical handicaps.
Merckx index

Re:

21 Oct 2015 04:56

Merckx index wrote:. Some are comparing his situation to LA and his cancer work, suggesting he will try to improve his reputation by helping other kids with physical handicaps.
In the soap opera world one would call this "rehabilitating a character's image after it's been thoroughly destroyed." (Not that I watch Y&R, or anything like that.) However, and of course, this is not a soap opera, it's real life. So...

Can Pistorius (the actual person, not the character that he's playing/portraying to be) be rehabilitated?

IMO, preferably he'll never be near sports or near guns ever again. But if he can somehow help physically disabled kids without any kind of press or limelight (or sponsor money), I suppose I could almost give him that chance.

Btw., I'm actually slightly perturbed by the people who bought his house where it happened and are now supposedly giving tours of it.
User avatar Tricycle Rider

03 Dec 2015 12:06

........poor oscar ......how was he to know that shooting someone with so many bullets

..........would kill them..............

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

03 Dec 2015 13:06

What the tupid Idiotzile Masipa did was a miscarriage of justice, good to see a panel of real judges to straighten out that situation. Judge Masipa should be sent to some judicial limbo where she can not hurt anyone with her halfassed verdicts.
victorschipolrijk

03 Dec 2015 13:45

Roses are red
Violets are glorious
Don't ever ****
With Oscar Pistorius
#FeeltheBern
User avatar Amsterhammer

03 Dec 2015 14:18

Amsterhammer wrote:Roses are red
Violets are glorious
Don't ever ****
With Oscar Pistorius

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Don’t piss around
Or hide in the loo

The panel was unanimous. Apparently a key point was that Masipa herself said that Pistorius must have known he was killing someone when he fired through the door. It was murder even if he didn't know it was Steenkamp, which of course is ridiculous.

I understand he's looking at a minimum of fifteen years, assuming he can't appeal to the Constitutional Court, which is like the U.S. Supreme Court. Not going to be fun with those prosthetic legs. He might possibly be able to have a career as a Masters runner when he gets out.
Merckx index

03 Dec 2015 17:58

I'm having a hard time understanding just how much time he will serve. I heard the 15 years (minus time served), and that the judge can factor other issues to lower that time. But I can't figure how how long he would actually be locked up. How long that might be under house arrest, and how long on parole?

I'm reminded of the litany of articles on rulings in the US with the same issue. A meth addict once broke into a home in my neighborhood, a teenager caught him, and chased him off. The meth head then shot and killed the teen. He was quickly caught, plead down in court, and was given "27 years", I had to dig, and dig and dig in order to find out that he would likely only serve about 11 years of that, unless he was a bad prisoner.

So understand my concern that Oscar could only serve another few years in prison, then be sent back home to his mansion for a few more years, and then on parole for a few more. All of which still barely seems like justice to me.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

Re:

04 Dec 2015 19:41

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I'm having a hard time understanding just how much time he will serve. I heard the 15 years (minus time served), and that the judge can factor other issues to lower that time. But I can't figure how how long he would actually be locked up. How long that might be under house arrest, and how long on parole?

I'm reminded of the litany of articles on rulings in the US with the same issue. A meth addict once broke into a home in my neighborhood, a teenager caught him, and chased him off. The meth head then shot and killed the teen. He was quickly caught, plead down in court, and was given "27 years", I had to dig, and dig and dig in order to find out that he would likely only serve about 11 years of that, unless he was a bad prisoner.

So understand my concern that Oscar could only serve another few years in prison, then be sent back home to his mansion for a few more years, and then on parole for a few more. All of which still barely seems like justice to me.

I've read that Oscar's "adoptive grandma", judge Masipa, could quite possibly be the one who re-sentences him!
Bosco10

16 Jun 2016 05:20

Oscar back in the news, with Masipa presiding over the re-sentencing. He's trying to play the sympathetic card, approaching the bench with prosthetics removed.
twothirds

16 Jun 2016 07:38

Just too much sadness in that case... :(
Whether he honestly thought she was an intruder, or shot her in a fit of rage due to a "lover's quarrel" doesn't really matter. Everybody in that case has lost...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

16 Jun 2016 07:50

i see what you mean and agree with first and last sentence of your post.
but surely it matters.
either he's a lying murderous psychopath, or he isn't.
either he should be locked up for long, or he should be set free and rehabilitated.
sniper
Veteran

16 Jun 2016 08:31

He made a horrible mistake either way.
Not much of a difference, to me, of that mistake being due to thinking "****! There is an intruder! Gotta defend us!" then realising "Oh... God! It was Reeva!"
Or because they were fighting, he got so angry he basically went "Bitch is gonna die!" only to afterwards, when the anger had subsided, stop and think "Oh... God! What have I done."
She's gone...
Aka The Ginger One.
User avatar RedheadDane
Veteran

16 Jun 2016 08:49

I would agree if you'd say that, either way, it won't bring back Reeva or mitigate the pain of her family.
But surely whether or not Oscar is set free depends crucially on whether or not he shot her deliberately/knowingly.
Right now I think of him as a psychopath, liar, and killer. I think that's what the evidence points to.
If compelling evidence to the contrary would surface, I'd love to see it and I would fully reconsider my view of Oscar and welcome him back on the track. If not, they can lock him up.
sniper
Veteran

Re: Oscar Pistorius

20 Jun 2016 06:50

If he was a black South African we wouldn't be having all this too ha - he'd be well into a long prison sentence.
sienna

06 Jul 2016 13:48

Pistorius has been given a six year sentence for murder. It's more lenient than the fifteen year sentence that the prosecution and many others wanted, and he will be eligible for parole in three years, but the previous year he served will not count. If he gets out on parole after three years, he would be shy of his 33d birthday, and I suppose a comeback on the track would not be out of the question. Even if he serves the full six years, he would be young enough to envision some kind of career revival, though unlikely at the top of the sport. But he's a convicted murderer, and still has to face civil charges as well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/judge-begins-reading-oscar-pistorius-murder-sentence-075719644--spt.html
Merckx index

07 Aug 2016 08:18

User avatar Alex Simmons/RST

07 Aug 2016 14:42

He says no, but it's hard to have much sympathy for him.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

08 Aug 2016 13:01

No sympathy for gun freaks.
sienna

Previous

Return to General