Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

18 Apr 2017 21:32

What an utter disgrace. Well done UEFA, well done Victor Kassai, your team won. Why bother playing the games, they should just give the trophy back to Real and be done with that. Everybody understands who is supposed to win it anyway.

All the while Zidane has actually done a great job at Real, but his achievements in CL will rightly be overshadowed by ridiculous amount of preferential treatment they have got. Last year had the joke of a draw, now when going got tough, referee ran to the rescue. I mean, Casemiro commited four separate yellow card offences alone (including the one leading to penalty) and still stayed on the pitch until the end, while Vidal's second yellow wasn't even a foul. And then the decisive goal was, naturally, scored from an offside position. An offside, that wasn't exactly close...

My initial impression is that last years version of Bayern was stronger than current one. Certainly Guardiola got much more out of Müller, Costa and Coman, and Bayern as a team were better off as a result. They had more weapons to hurt opponents offensively and weren't any worse defensively.
Typically for Guardiola's teams though they underachieved in knock-out competitions.
User avatar Põhja Konn

19 Apr 2017 06:06

Wait for Barca today. A penalty or two here, a red card there, a couple of disallowed goals and some nonexistent goals and voila! 5-1
Brullnux

19 Apr 2017 09:15

It's really disgusting how both Barca and Real needed the ref to win their matches.....

Hopefully Barca gets humiliated again tonight.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

20 Apr 2017 16:44

Defensive masterclass from Juve. They've only conceded two goals in 10 Champions league matches. Compare that with Monaco (16) and Real (15). Atleti on 5 so far. Attack however, Real have scored 28, Monaco 21, Juventus 17 and Atletico 13.

If Italy can find some decent fullbacks or a system which doesn't need them then they will be really good next year, world class players in every position, as long as Belotti and Immobile can keep this up.
Brullnux

20 Apr 2017 19:19

I think the Dutch ref helped Juve. Not overtly or intentionally. I watched a little dutch football lately and also Spanish football.

The dutch refs let things go a lot further than the Spanish refs. So from what I'we seen the dutch games tend to be more slogging, while the Spanish games are more technical and in my eyes entertaining.

Juve being a great defensive slogging team were able to out physical the Barca players. And also they Barca players used a lot more time complaining about the refs.

I think I now understand why they were complaining so much.
User avatar ToreBear

Re:

21 Apr 2017 08:15

Põhja Konn wrote:What an utter disgrace. Well done UEFA, well done Victor Kassai, your team won. Why bother playing the games, they should just give the trophy back to Real and be done with that. Everybody understands who is supposed to win it anyway.

Although the refereeing was bad, it was bad throughout.
The penalty awarded to the flying Dutchman wasn't one to begin with. Very well done by Robben, for sure, but no penalty. If the referee was truely biased, he wouldn't have awarded it.
User avatar Jagartrott

Re: Re:

21 Apr 2017 18:17

Jagartrott wrote:
Põhja Konn wrote:What an utter disgrace. Well done UEFA, well done Victor Kassai, your team won. Why bother playing the games, they should just give the trophy back to Real and be done with that. Everybody understands who is supposed to win it anyway.

Although the refereeing was bad, it was bad throughout.
The penalty awarded to the flying Dutchman wasn't one to begin with. Very well done by Robben, for sure, but no penalty. If the referee was truely biased, he wouldn't have awarded it.

I actually agree with you on this. I was more than a little pissed when writing the post you quoted and the part you signified was sarcastic rather than a serious accusation of premeditated favouritism. I don't believe those conspiracy theories that are circling right now too much. Referee not sending off Vidal early in the second is proof enough that he was not solely out to carry Madrid through. The timing and gravity of his biggest mistakes unfortunately and inevitably ask for the conspiracy theories to be made. Real having a rich history of favourable calls doesn't exactly help either.

Having said that, I respecfully disagree with your assessment on a penalty call. There was not too much of a contact there as Casemiro was almost able to avoid it. But almost is not enough and in situations like this the benefit of the doubt should always go to the attacking players. And if the referee decided that it was foul and a penalty then there was no excuse for not giving a yellow for Casemiro.
User avatar Põhja Konn

25 Apr 2017 16:57

My favourite club is AC Milan.
mixedmartial
Newly Registered Member

26 Apr 2017 17:47

Copa America 2019 to have six non-South American teams because wonga. I would prefer it if the European countries declined any offer out of principle and it became only open to more North American sides, but I somehow doubt it. A lot of European teams could see it as an opportunity to give some more inexperienced players a bash against very good opposition in a tournament which is of little to no interest to them. They'll be offered quite a bit too I imagine. It would be a disgrace if a European side entered it and won it, though. It's just a totally unnecessary inclusion.

Hopefully the invites just get given to Honduras, USA, Jamaica, Canada, Mexico, El Salvador etc.
Brullnux

Re:

26 Apr 2017 18:21

Brullnux wrote:Copa America 2019 to have six non-South American teams because wonga. I would prefer it if the European countries declined any offer out of principle and it became only open to more North American sides, but I somehow doubt it. A lot of European teams could see it as an opportunity to give some more inexperienced players a bash against very good opposition in a tournament which is of little to no interest to them. They'll be offered quite a bit too I imagine. It would be a disgrace if a European side entered it and won it, though. It's just a totally unnecessary inclusion.

Hopefully the invites just get given to Honduras, USA, Jamaica, Canada, Mexico, El Salvador etc.

Wonga means money?

I agree.

But lets be honest. USA concacaf have little talent. Not even close. I understand your opinion and agree.

I wish CONCACAF was disbanded and those teams were forced to play against CONMEBOL because that would eventually force the central and north american players to gain talent.

The level of play here in the USA with our "pro league" and Mexico's "pro league" is a joke.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

04 May 2017 08:14

Two goals in eleven games. None against Barcelona over two legs and none away at Monaco. Juve's defence is seriously good.
Brullnux

04 May 2017 10:06

Ajax finally doing something nice again in Europe, it's been more than 20 years! Ajax - Lyon was a great match yesterday, with a ridiculous amount of chances for both sides. I knew there was a chance for Ajax, looking at the defense of Lyon, but I really didn't expect Ajax to win to be honest, let alone with such numbers. With two crazy attacking sides, two defenses that are prone to individual errors and the side which is better on paper playing at home and having to set something right, I expect a very spectacular return match with a lot of goals again.

25 May 2017 10:17

Bahhh that finale was a bit depressing. Of course people are allowed to play any tactic they want and United deserved the victory yesterday and I know I'm biased, but United parking the bus against Ajax yesterday was kind of pathetic. The team that Ajax fielded didn't even cost 20 million in transfers while United is basically the richest team in the world. Mourinho really has no sense of shame (which isn't anything new obviously). But yeah, it's his right to play ugly pathetic football and park the bus against a much weaker team and it works, I guess.....

Nevertheless, Ajax doesn't need to be ashamed about this loss, the difference in budget is much bigger than the difference in quality was yesterday. It's kind of pathetic that the richest team of the world is reduced to playing like this against a team with a budget of ~80 million.

Re:

25 May 2017 11:13

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:Bahhh that finale was a bit depressing. Of course people are allowed to play any tactic they want and United deserved the victory yesterday and I know I'm biased, but United parking the bus against Ajax yesterday was kind of pathetic. The team that Ajax fielded didn't even cost 20 million in transfers while United is basically the richest team in the world. Mourinho really has no sense of shame (which isn't anything new obviously). But yeah, it's his right to play ugly pathetic football and park the bus against a much weaker team and it works, I guess.....

Nevertheless, Ajax doesn't need to be ashamed about this loss, the difference in budget is much bigger than the difference in quality was yesterday. It's kind of pathetic that the richest team of the world is reduced to playing like this against a team with a budget of ~80 million.

It's par for the course to see Mourinho's teams 'parking the bus.' He did it all the time with Chelsea. The inexperience of Ajax lost out in the end. They had a great tournament in general, some iffy moments and games where they had to squeak it out (Schalke, for example), but to make their first European final in 21 years is a great step forward. The question now is how many of these young players will they keep? I assume that some of them will get offers from other big clubs and it may be tough for them to turn an offer down, but if the club can keep them for another 2-3 years, they can do some major damage in Europe, quite possibly winning a EC or CL.
BullsFan22

25 May 2017 11:29

Mourinho parked the bus? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

He gets results if that's all a team cares about (like Man Utd).
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen

Re: Re:

25 May 2017 13:18

BullsFan22 wrote:The question now is how many of these young players will they keep?

A couple of years ago Ajax had a period where they really struggled financially, but in recent years they changed their policy a bit focusing even more on their own youth and developing talent than they used to and being really strict on themselves with the amount on money they spent on contracts and transfers. This has actually been very successful and Ajax have (for Dutch standards) a lot of money in the bank nowadays. Consequently, they don't really need the money for the transfers and they actually did a pretty good job getting almost all their young players to sign long contracts. That being said, if the young players want to leave themselves, there's sometimes little you can do, or you have to risk getting into conflict with your best players like with Dimitri Payet this year.

But yeah, Ajax has a crazy talented side this year. Maybe the most impressive one for me is the 17 year old CB Matthijs de Ligt, who actually was one of the Ajax players doing quite well yesterday. Even in European games he showed a lot of composure, he managed the physical level easily and he's very good on the ball (as Ajax defenders should be). He's a very balanced, physically very strong, intelligent and technically capable CB at only 17 years of age. His only downfall is maybe that he is a tad slow. But for me, there is no doubt that De Ligt will be a world-class centre back, barring injuries. You see very young talented attackers more often, but I've never seen such a young CB with such composure and such an imposing physique. He's the youngest player to ever start in a European finale btw!

Also, excessive complaining about defensive football is a Dutch thing, don't take it too seriously, I know I'm wrong. :p

Re:

25 May 2017 16:15

King Boonen wrote:Mourinho parked the bus? I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

He gets results if that's all a team cares about (like Man Utd).

Parking the bus, scoring on the counter and having a morally questionable guy as manager has always been the United way. Mourinho fits perfectly.
User avatar Rechtschreibfehler

25 May 2017 17:34

In every single big game Mourinho's first instinct has always been to avoid losing which sooner or later leads to bus parking tactics. What was the hardest to swallow about yesterday's game was the manner of United's opening goal. Luck like that was the last thing this United side and specially their manager deserved to have.

This win now allows United's PR departement to spin the season as being a moderate success, whereas despite securing two secondary trophies and CL ticket, it was anything but. With the squad they had, they should have challenged Chelsea all the way in the league as well as show much high level of overall play. While during the winter it looked they are moving in the right direction, it all descended into chaos when spring arrived.

United will certainly splash the cash this coming summer and Mourinho will get newer, better toys at his disposal for next season, but with this season he proved he is a worthy successor to Moyes and Van Gaal. He used to be a charismatic and inspiring leader (also controversial and devisive character) who could take any team and make them great. Now he comes off as a grumpy old man perennialy looking for excuses and someone or something to blame for his own shortcomings.
User avatar Põhja Konn

25 May 2017 17:50

agree with all of the comments on JM and United. I hate the way they play and now because of their manager JM I hate them even more.

I was really wanting Ajax to win. They are young and super talented.

here is to a player revolt at United in the future, these pro's don't like to play for him longer than a year or two.
User avatar Semper Fidelis
Veteran

25 May 2017 18:06

It was nice that United won, though, all things considering. At least gave their fans something to be happy about after the events of this week.
Brullnux

PreviousNext

Return to General