Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

21 Apr 2018 08:32

wenger....true great of UK game he has done wonders for arsenal year in..year out

I have always defended him from unfair criticism

but sport is not just about doing well...but winning and clearly wenger was never going to motivate players to big success ever again

so time is right ( or maybe 1 year too late ) for him to move on

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

21 Apr 2018 16:36

Wenger was a great manager, but since the turn of the decade he's become a follower rather than a leader - he's following the different tactical trends rather than making them. 4-2-3-1, 3 at the back etc. It's time he leaves - hopefully for him he can go out with a bang, rather than finishing below burnley.
Brullnux
Veteran

21 Apr 2018 19:35

..like newcastle sunderland escape from the championship at 1st attempt...

well done lads.....

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

22 Apr 2018 10:09

mackems mocked us toon fans......'6 in a row.....'

...LOL now we may retort.........................'2 in a row....'

Mark L
User avatar ebandit

24 Apr 2018 21:49

Classic Roma
Brullnux
Veteran

02 May 2018 12:37

More troubles for the Murdochs
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/may/02/eleven-sports-la-liga-internet-live-footbal-sky-sports-radrizzani
Live football matches could be shown exclusively over the internet in the UK for the first time after Sky lost the rights to broadcast Spain’s La Liga.

Eleven Sports, founded by the Leeds United owner, Andrea Radrizzani, has acquired exclusive rights to the Spanish top flight for three years, starting from 2018-19.

It brings an end to an association with Sky Sports that has lasted for more than two decades, although the broadcaster may yet be able to show games through a secondary agreement with the new rights holders.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

Re: The Real Football Thread

19 May 2018 20:05

Just watched the last ten mins of the German cup final and was pleasantly surprised they use video technology. Perfectly as well with sometimes the ref just asking the people in the booth to tell him their decision and it takes 10 secs. To confirm the goal and to see if there was a penalty he had to see the vid himself which took a minute. In the end it went maybe 5 minutes longer. Totally worth it to get the right decisions and there was drama in those moments too. Hope the world of football follows.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

26 May 2018 18:45

Who are those in yellow jerseys on the pitch in Kiev this evening?
User avatar sir fly

26 May 2018 19:28

I`m not sure whom i dislike more, Ramos or Froome...
User avatar BlackWhiteEagle

26 May 2018 19:44

I liked Barnes, Ince, Fowler, Owen, Gerrard... Conceptualized forward position and goal celebration watching Hugo Sánchez. Been glad to see Prosinečki and Mijatović playing for RM.
There's still a jersey of one of this evening's finalists in my closet.

Benzema
...Something like homage to Borota.
User avatar sir fly

26 May 2018 21:05

I've never felt more sorry for a football player than for Karius right now. Incredibly only about 30 minutes ago that title might have gone to salah in the same game. What a heartbreaking game for Liverpool
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

27 May 2018 10:02

Meltdown week - Yates, Pinot & Liverpool's goalkeeper.

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

27 May 2018 11:57

Ramos is disgusting. Clearly intentional to hurt Salah. He knew exactly what he was doing. Surprising that there was no criticism from LFC's end. Salah though is one of the more humbled top footballers you'll ever find, so I guess him not really protesting is par for the course, also because he was still shocked and crying. That turned the match. I have no doubt Salah would have played a massive role had this not happened.

Karius's two mistakes were incredible, especially the first one. I mean surely he knew that Benzema was right there. Hold the ball a bit longer and do something else. The second mistake he just panicked. No doubt you lose confidence in yourself when making a mistake like he did on Benzema's goal. Sure he had a couple good saves but the first goal and the obvious pressure being in the CL final did him in. Bale's shot dipped a bit, but it wasn't particularly fast or overly tricky for a pro to stop. You could see in the replays that Karius was nervous waiting for the ball and he slightly veered to the other side and wasn't prepared, even though it came right to him. Shame this happened on the biggest stage, I sincerely hope, like everyone else, that he can somehow recover from this and have a successful career, be it at Liverpool or somewhere else.

Liverpool was the better team for the 1st half, despite Salah's injury. They were able to move the ball well and the defense really played well for most of the game. Robertson, Van Dijk and Lovren were great (in my eyes) for much of the game and each had fantastic stops to prevent goals or goal scoring opportunities.

It wasn't a fantastic game, but it was entertaining and nerve-wracking, as one would expect. A bitter pill to swallow as a LFC fan, but I am happy with the season they had. Hopefully the core of the squad is kept for the future and we can build around Salah. I hope he stays for at least a couple more seasons and helps us win a much needed trophy.
BullsFan22

27 May 2018 12:24

I agree with most of what you say, but as soon as Salah got injured Liverpool completely lost their mojo and forgot how to play football. They couldn't string three passes together, stopped pressing and let Real dictate the play. They weren't behind at half-time due to Ronaldo somehow missing a header from two metres (he was somehow offside too) and then Isco missed an easy chance before the goal eventually came. Then Liverpool refound some strength and attacked for the first time in 30 minutes and scored. But then Bale scored that goal and Liverpool lost all confidence again and just sat back. Real had a couple of very good opportunities to make it three, only avoided by karius making a good save and robertson's last man tackle. Liverpool were overly dependent on Salah and couldn't adjust once he went off, which is the problem with a weak bench and a very specific system. The defence was decent and so was Mane, but the midfield got outplayed and Firmino went missing, and I just feel very bad for Karius. I feel the second error was caused by the first: it was a tricky shot but it seemed he was in two minds over what to do, and then didn't do either, and it went in. It was a typical mistake, but not one you expect in a CL final.
Brullnux
Veteran

03 Jun 2018 05:10

England's friendly against Nigeria showed they've still plenty to do if they want to do well in the WC. The defence in particular looked untogether.

User avatar Robert5091

14 Jun 2018 06:03

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44465069
World Cup 2026: How US, Canada & Mexico won right to host tournament

With eight years to go until the tournament kicks off, many asked why Fifa seemingly rushed to make this decision.

The answer came partly down to its finances.

The governing body has paid hefty legal bills in recent years following the US-led investigation into corruption by a number of executives.

The Russian World Cup has also failed to attract major sponsors and the Qatar edition in 2022 also promises to be tricky to navigate.

In speaking to congress on Wednesday, Fifa president Gianni Infantino said the organisation was "clinically dead" when he took over in 2016. In gaining election he promised to quadruple Fifa's income. With a year to go until he faces a re-election campaign, he needs to start finding some of that cash.

It's for these reasons that Infantino was believed to favour 'United 2026', considering organisers' claims it will amass a huge $14bn (£10.3bn) in revenues (delivering an $11bn profit for Fifa). It is a figure that Morocco has openly questioned and even Infantino has labelled "optimistic". Morocco promised a much more modest profit to Fifa of $5bn from revenues of $7.2bn.

Plus a return to soccer when it's 40C hot - Phew!

User avatar Robert5091

14 Jun 2018 07:11

Optimistic that the World Cup may one day be hosted again by England if FIFA are finally interested in tournament profit rather than the backhanded bribes of recent tournaments, especially as English football generates some of the biggest sponsorship revenue in the game.

Almost criminal it will be 64 years without hosting a World Cup by the time 2030 comes around, we already have the stadiums, training facilities and public infrastructure already in place.
User avatar Pricey_sky

14 Jun 2018 09:17

If the UK can say they can came up $14 bn then FIFA will be only too glad to let the World Cup be staged in the UK. If the Murdochs get fed up with cycling then ... who knows?

User avatar Robert5091

14 Jun 2018 10:21

Apparently Russia's defence is built around a 38 year old who was slow in his prime - time for a litle wager on the Saudis?

User avatar Robert5091

Previous

Return to General