Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Re: The Real Football Thread

07 Mar 2017 22:31

Unless you're a fan, Zidane's Real is the most frustrating team to watch these days. For long periods they play below of what they are capable of, waste loads of chances, can afford to have an ageing and increasingly ineffective primadonna in starting eleven and still have enough quality to almost always get away with it. Then of course there are added bonuses in soft draws and favourable refereeing. :o

To be fair, they were clearly stronger than Napoli over two legs and deserved to go through. Although without that fluke of a second goal it would have been a lot more uncomfortable night for them.

Talking about Napoli their defence was not good enough against the side as good as Real. The draw has been really cruel to them though. They won one of the toughest groups and were rewarded with facing Real in the last 16. It is sad, because they are one of the most watchable teams in Europe this season.
Hopefully they can achieve automatic qualification for next season.

Refereeing tonight was a textbook case of bad performance without a bad mistake that clearly stands out. Large majority of 50/50 decisions went one way and Cakir was lucky the tie was effectively ended early in the second half. Otherwise it could easily have boiled over as Napoli's players were visibly getting increasingly frustrated with his handling of the game as the game wore on.

Speaking of poor performances, Arsenal. Sad to see them collapse like that. This season has to be the end of the road for Wenger. It has been clear for some years now that he is not the type of manager who knows when it's the right time to step down. For some time he has gone around in circles which have gradually turned into a downward spiral.
User avatar Põhja Konn

08 Mar 2017 21:46

Wanted to write a post just before Barca - PSG, hoping for Superbowl-like experience (not a fan, but what a match), but didn't want to jinx it.
... And I didn't. What a match!
User avatar sir fly

08 Mar 2017 21:49

Followed it via Goal Alert while watching Dortmund... can't wait for the highlights.
kingjr

Re:

09 Mar 2017 02:32

kingjr wrote:Followed it via Goal Alert while watching Dortmund... can't wait for the highlights.

Just watched the highlights myself. Well done Barca, but to be fair to PSG, really, neither were a penalty and I would question at least one of Barca's goals for offside!! That said, that's sport, and as a big Barca fan, I'm happy :) I'm also a big Bayern fan (just like good football), so bring it on:)
User avatar ferryman

09 Mar 2017 08:21

Superb comeback, an incredible game to watch.

Though I don't agree with it being the best comeback ever, my local team Kidderminster were 2-0 down in the 89th minute a few seasons ago, our striker came on as a sub and scored a hat trick in injury time to win 3-2, my voice was ruined for weeks afterwards! :lol:
User avatar Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

09 Mar 2017 11:29

ferryman wrote:
kingjr wrote:Followed it via Goal Alert while watching Dortmund... can't wait for the highlights.

Just watched the highlights myself. Well done Barca, but to be fair to PSG, really, neither were a penalty and I would question at least one of Barca's goals for offside!! That said, that's sport, and as a big Barca fan, I'm happy :) I'm also a big Bayern fan (just like good football), so bring it on:)

The first was definitely a pen IMO, the 2nd looked like one at first glance and not so much after watching the replay, but I can see why the ref gave it.
kingjr

09 Mar 2017 15:59

Watched mainly the Dortmund game as I was sure the other tie is done after first leg. Apparently, PSG-s players thougth the same. Without that factor, Barca would not have pulled it off, regardless of how well they played. But there's no doubt, it was one of the greatest comebacks ever.
User avatar Põhja Konn

Re: Re:

09 Mar 2017 19:11

kingjr wrote:
ferryman wrote:

The first was definitely a pen IMO, the 2nd looked like one at first glance and not so much after watching the replay, but I can see why the ref gave it.

I think that with Suarez you have to assume it's a dive, unless really clear. That was a marginal at best call, which in replay was clearly not. The first one was just really unlucky for PSG, but a clear penalty. The first three goals in general were just very weird.
Brullnux

11 Mar 2017 00:42

Poor refereeing strikes again. Milan get a really soft penalty against them in the 96th minute. Juve score 2-1.

The Barca game was a farce too. Suarez clearly dived, but that match in terms of excitement and entertainment was the greatest I've seen in a long long time. Those European nights..
User avatar jsem94

11 Mar 2017 09:59

It was really harsh on De Sciglio. Rather it wasn't a penalty. Although in fairness Juve dominated and Milan were kept in the game by Gigio.

Today Arsenal play Lincoln, who'll probably think they are in with a serious chance of winning. And they're right. A loss here would end Wenger's reign.
Brullnux

Re:

11 Mar 2017 10:25

jsem94 wrote:Poor refereeing strikes again. Milan get a really soft penalty against them in the 96th minute. Juve score 2-1.

The Barca game was a farce too. Suarez clearly dived, but that match in terms of excitement and entertainment was the greatest I've seen in a long long time. Those European nights..

It was indeed soft and going in the way of the dominant team of the league didn't help, but in general I'm in favour of giving similar situations in favour of the attacking side. Football is, by design, a low scoring game, where defenders have the upper hand for most of the time. No need to cushion them even more.

My take on diving is that if a defender makes contact with attacking player, however slight it might be, he gives the latter an excuse to go down and referee an excuse to five a foul. Again, if the ref is not 100% sure of the opposite, an advantage should go to the attacking player. The whole polematic over diving and presenting it like the scourge of the game is the most idiotic thing I've seen in any sport in recent years.Having said that, in case of pure simulation (no contact involved), a yellow should be given. Two incidents involving Deulofeu last night are textbook examples. For one of them, he did get booked.

PSG didn't lose it because of Suarez' dives anyway. They lost because they thought the tie was over after the first leg and choked after realising it might not actually be during the second leg. Had they come to the second leg with right attitude, Barca would have had no chance to turn around that deficit.

As a fan, I want to see, at least at the top level of the game, that skill and quality overcome pure physicality and hard craft. In that context, "diving" is at worst a necessary evil, forcing defenders to approach the game in a different way. One, that is based more on anticipation and reading of the game instead of physical strenght and power.
User avatar Põhja Konn

11 Mar 2017 13:24

Football isn't a non contact sport, there has to be some physicality else it will just be really weak, like watching some La Liga matches. Part of the beauty of football is the fight between strength and skill, mind and muscle. If nobody makes any contact with each other then it would be pretty pathetic.
Brullnux

15 Mar 2017 02:02

Leicester... still going... :eek:
pity Ranieri's gone
User avatar Archibald

15 Mar 2017 21:55

Monaco really is a pleasure to watch, and that first half was a treat. How much of it came down to City not being up to the fight is hard to say, but Monaco completely owned them. Still it doesn't change the fact that games of such importance should not be decided by something so arbitrary as an away goals rule. It is a pointless relic in modern game and often has a counterproductive effect on games.
User avatar Põhja Konn

17 Mar 2017 12:13

For once, a really good draw in the Champions League. No easy passage to anyone, at least on paper. Well, maybe Atletico, as they are better than Leicester in every department, but the Foxes are certain to put up a fight regardless.

Two heavyweight ties, where, for once, both Spanish giants are slight underdogs. One can never underestimate Barca's and Real's ability to raise their game when having their backs against the wall, but Bayern and Juve have been the strongest sides in Europe this season, bar none. Still, its knock-out football and everything can happen.

Dortmund - Monaco will be a treat for neutrals. Dortmund has been more erratic, but their ceiling is higher.

My picks are Atletico, Bayern, Juventus and Monaco. Eventual title winners will be Bayern.
User avatar Põhja Konn

21 Mar 2017 03:03

Bad news for gooner... Wenger's up for another season
User avatar Archibald

22 Mar 2017 23:41

How the hell did Podolski become the 3rd most capped German ever? I'm assuming theres dozens and dozens of substitute appearances he got from being a good dressing room presence or something. I know he was good when he was young but he never reached his full potential I don't think at any point since, if ever, he will have been in the top 100 players in the world. I know Germany has also had a lack of strikers but they've certainly been able to produce some better than him.

Germany has had a few really lucky strikers - Podolski, Klose, Goetze and Schurle, who in recent years and particularly in 2014 fluked being on the best international team in the world, therefore winning caps, goals and even a world cup medal.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

28 Mar 2017 20:52

Video technology being used for France vs Spain. About bloody time
Brullnux

Previous

Return to General