Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: The Real Football Thread

31 Mar 2018 21:13

Zlatan is god. :lol: :cool:
Max Rockatansky

01 Apr 2018 09:00

I really couldn't care less about the MLS, but one just has to be impressed how someone like Ibrahimovic just managed to become a club icon within 20 minutes. :lol:
The guy can play the worst football of his life for the rest of the year and he'd still be celebrated
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

10 Apr 2018 21:27

Wow, Roma just buried Barca, I did not expect that!
User avatar Mayomaniac
Veteran

10 Apr 2018 21:42

Beautiful. Roma were really unlucky to lose 4-1 in the first leg and were by far the better team over these two legs.

Liverpool also beat city, but I switched off after Salah's goal because if I had to deal with one more minute of Mateu Lahoz not calling anything I would have had an aneurysm.
Brullnux
Veteran

11 Apr 2018 19:44

Oh my god if real blow this against rubentus...
Brullnux
Veteran

11 Apr 2018 21:20

As a Real Fan my current mood couldn't be better, but for everyone else on this planet, this result must suck. The penalty probably wasn't a foul, but in real time it really looked like one. And although everyone on twitter is now calling for video refs in the CL I'm even wondering if that decision would be overturned. It was a really hard to judge.
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

11 Apr 2018 21:28

I'm really angry about that.

Game deciding 50/50 penalty decisions going against Juve in the 93rd minute should only happen in the final.
Brullnux
Veteran

11 Apr 2018 22:07

Buffon's interview is absolutely terrible. You cannot ask a referee to officiate out of compassion and 'understanding what is at stake', instead of the rules. It's weird seeing buffon as the moralist now seeing what has happened in the past, too...

Was it a penalty? It's tight. Contact was minimal imo, but the leg around the body probably confirmed it. Vazquez should've really scored before he fell, anyway. But this is a food example of why we need var: close call in a very important match should be looked at before a decision made. No need to overturn it, Oliver could have just waited for a stoppage and then consulted it. Yesterday too, a goal given offside when it wasn't and a couple of potential penalties not given because lahoz likes a 'free flowing' game. It's needed, even if referees will take a while adjusting. No, it won't eliminate all bad decisions or contention, but it will help.
Brullnux
Veteran

11 Apr 2018 22:45

Gigs_98 wrote:As a Real Fan my current mood couldn't be better, but for everyone else on this planet, this result must suck. The penalty probably wasn't a foul, but in real time it really looked like one. And although everyone on twitter is now calling for video refs in the CL I'm even wondering if that decision would be overturned. It was a really hard to judge.

...just like PSG-Barcelona last year...and I HATE PSG. It seems like the whole thing is rigged. Too much money involved methinks...

When I lived in Europe, as a kid and young man, I played football everyday, I loved that sport even more than cycling. Now I only watch the World Cup.

...even Rugby sucks these days.
SOLO LA VITTORIA È BELLA
User avatar Tonton

11 Apr 2018 23:27

Looked like a clear penalty to me. Vazquez gets pushed over from behind. Video wouldn't have overturned that. At least I hope not, since that would mean VAR is shite.

Buffon really lost it at the end. Weird. Looking at the game and the stats Real didn't play as bad as it seemed. They just failed to score on their many, many chances, while Juve were much more effective. Great job exposing Madrids wingbacks weaknesses though.

https://www.sofascore.com/real-madrid-juventus/MdbsEgb
User avatar ToreBear

12 Apr 2018 13:43

In other news, Dani Ceballos (like Isco) is being utterly wasted at real. He's a really, really talented player (player of the tournament at the u21 euros, in a team with asensio and saul, up against bernardeschi, schick and others) and when he's actually given some time on the pitch he's been decent and just needs to be given faith and pateince. He's been linked with liverpool and ac milan (who both need him) so hopefully he'll progress like he should.
Brullnux
Veteran

12 Apr 2018 17:48

I think Ceballos was told it would be difficult for him to get minutes, and a loan would be preferable. He still wanted to stay at Real. He will probably be loaned out this summer. Real won't sell him, at least not without a buy back clause.
User avatar ToreBear

12 Apr 2018 18:59

Ah, real have a habit of selling talents, and Zidane getting sacked is looking less likely now and for all his attributes, working with young players isn't one of them. He's been basically forced to play Isco by fans and the media because he finally spoke out and was linked with other clubs - there were rumours just the other day of Spain's best player (arguable but my genuine opinion) going to Juve. Maybe ceballos will end up leaving, if a loan spell is successful and zidane still tells him that he won't play, or he comes back and doesn't play.
Brullnux
Veteran

12 Apr 2018 21:16

Red Bull Salzburg just returned from a 4:2 loss against Lazio and won 4:1 at home which means they reached the Europa League semi final. This must be the biggest moment for Austrian football for ages. Funnily the other Red Bull team, Leipzig, which actually has a lot more money to their disposal than Salzburg lost against Marseille, so the "farmteam" for Leipzig is internationally more succesful than the Leipzig itself. :lol:
User avatar Gigs_98
Veteran

13 Apr 2018 16:02

@Brullnux
Zidane rotates his players a lot, so there are opportunities for non starters to start. Also Modric and Ronaldos minutes are carefully managed.
A few more injuries and Ceballos might have gotten more time, but still he is last in the list of midfielders to give playing time behind Kovacic and Llorente.

@Gigs_98
Impressive. This week has been full of weird results.
User avatar ToreBear

14 Apr 2018 16:09

I'm not a great soccer fan, only occasionally i watch la Liga on Fox Sports or MLS on Eurosport, but i clearly remember when Buffon claimed that this wasn't a goal and later said that it was his greatest save.

In Italy in the last three days we have him and juventus on every mass media, it's incredible how pundits, even the ones closer to other teams defended and supported them, they also attacked Del Piero because he said that they were wrong. Only Catalan newspapers with "el robo del siglo" were worst than them but Catalan newspapers are usually biased like no one else and without a shame.
Nirvana

14 Apr 2018 18:06

As a milan fan I completely agree
Brullnux
Veteran

20 Apr 2018 09:48

Wenger? Bye bye!
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

20 Apr 2018 16:30

Tonton wrote:
Gigs_98 wrote:As a Real Fan my current mood couldn't be better, but for everyone else on this planet, this result must suck. The penalty probably wasn't a foul, but in real time it really looked like one. And although everyone on twitter is now calling for video refs in the CL I'm even wondering if that decision would be overturned. It was a really hard to judge.

...just like PSG-Barcelona last year...and I HATE PSG. It seems like the whole thing is rigged. Too much money involved methinks...

When I lived in Europe, as a kid and young man, I played football everyday, I loved that sport even more than cycling. Now I only watch the World Cup.

...even Rugby sucks these days.

I watch lique un sometimes, who do you support? I like the club that LE ROI used to play for, ASSE.
I was him
User avatar Zama_Olyas

Re:

20 Apr 2018 17:11

Robert5091 wrote:Wenger? Bye bye!

As a gooner, I'm glad he's called it a day. Maybe, with the right pick for manager, they infuse some much needed player motivation!
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

PreviousNext

Return to General