Log in:  

Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen, Valv.Piti

Re: Re:

19 Nov 2017 22:29

BullsFan22 wrote:
jsem94 wrote:With the players and squad they have they are on paper one of the top 5 nations in the world atm.

Also, fully expected Spurs to beat Arsenal. Now a few more PL games, then the Rome derby and then the Madrid derby and Napoli hosing AC Milan. Great day of football. Great day to be sick and staying at home doing nothing.



Well I was hoping Spurs would be the Gunners but alas, they choked in a big game, again. They played quite well against Real recently, but kind of buckled today.

Liverpool is on the rise. I think they are getting their groove back and if their defense continues to do well and even improve, they could go far in both the league and Europe. Of course, they are my team, so I have to be positive and looking forward!!!

Wonder what sort of impact Italy not making the WC will have on that league. I know the top clubs have good international mix, but the Italian players could be affected.


Cheers were abundent in my gooner household :-)
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk
Member
 
Posts: 676
Joined: 21 Feb 2017 21:15
Location: High Desert Steppe

27 Nov 2017 11:32

The lack of goal line technology in La Liga is shocking. Still an amazing game between Valencia and Barcelona. Valencia were heading the completely wrong way but Marcelino has turned the club's fortunes around in a very short amount of time.
User avatar jsem94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,303
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 18:24
Location: Örebro, Sweden

28 Nov 2017 08:02

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/nov/27/fifa-trial-ex-president-of-colombias-football-federation-discussed-bribes
The former president of Colombia’s football federation told a New York City courtroom on Monday that he was approached over potential bribe payments to back Qatar’s bid to host the 2022 World Cup.

Luis Bedoya, who has pled guilty to corruption charges filed as part of a sprawling US government investigation into Fifa, the sport’s governing body, said that he and two other senior South American football officials discussed potential bribes during a conversation with an intermediary in Madrid in 2010.

Bedoya, a former member of the Fifa executive committee, was handed a lifetime ban in 2016 and is now testifying as a key government witness in the trial of three former South American football officials who have pled not guilty to multiple corruption charges.

The Colombian national told the court through a translator that he had travelled to Madrid in May 2010 to watch the final of the Champions League and was approached at a hotel by an unnamed “important person from Qatari television” and the Argentine businessman Mariano Jinkis, the owner of the sports marketing company Full Play.

Jinkis, Bedoya told the court, wanted to introduce the Qatari official to Bedoya and his two colleagues, Juan Angel Napout, the former head of football in Paraguay, and Luis Chiriboga, his counterpart in Ecuador, as the unnamed Qatari “wanted to know if South America was willing to support them” in their bid for the World Cup.

Bedoya characterized the introduction as short but added that after the Qatari official left the conversation Jinkis moved the discussion on to potential bribes. The marketing executive, who along with his father Hugo Jinkis has also been charged on multiple counts of corruption by US prosecutors but has so far avoided extradition to the US, suggested to the trio that Qatar’s bid for the tournament could be “important … for business”.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,058
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

17 Dec 2017 00:24

KDB is the best player in the world right now on current form. CR7 has fallen off the wayside this autumn. Only Messi can contest him. He was miles ahead of anyone on the pitch against Spurs. Most tackles/interceptions as well as all of those key passes and that goal. He is quite simply a joy to watch now. Not in the flashy way of a Neymar or the technical way of a Messi, but just the way he works in the midfield. Taking up the right positions, bursting away from players and placing pinpoint passes, his pressing, his reading of the game. Pep has spent money, but he has also drastically improved many of the players in his squad. HE is making them better, as he has done with all his teams in the past. It's not just the case of inheriting a great squad. Last year they had far from the best squad. Now look at the likes of Otamendi, Delph, Sané, Sterling.

In other news: Hamsik equals Maradona's Napoli goal tally. Maybe he can finally let loose now and start playing near his best again. Inter lost to Udinese at home in a shocking performance (the writing was on the wall for several weeks though) and Napoli is in a strong position for the Scudetto. Juve are still not at their very best though and will be very difficult to crack in spring. Inter and Roma will battle it out for the 3rd spot probably.
User avatar jsem94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,303
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 18:24
Location: Örebro, Sweden

Re:

17 Dec 2017 01:24

jsem94 wrote:KDB is the best player in the world right now on current form. CR7 has fallen off the wayside this autumn. Only Messi can contest him. He was miles ahead of anyone on the pitch against Spurs. Most tackles/interceptions as well as all of those key passes and that goal. He is quite simply a joy to watch now. Not in the flashy way of a Neymar or the technical way of a Messi, but just the way he works in the midfield. Taking up the right positions, bursting away from players and placing pinpoint passes, his pressing, his reading of the game. Pep has spent money, but he has also drastically improved many of the players in his squad. HE is making them better, as he has done with all his teams in the past. It's not just the case of inheriting a great squad. Last year they had far from the best squad. Now look at the likes of Otamendi, Delph, Sané, Sterling.

In other news: Hamsik equals Maradona's Napoli goal tally. Maybe he can finally let loose now and start playing near his best again. Inter lost to Udinese at home in a shocking performance (the writing was on the wall for several weeks though) and Napoli is in a strong position for the Scudetto. Juve are still not at their very best though and will be very difficult to crack in spring. Inter and Roma will battle it out for the 3rd spot probably.



If Mo Salah continues on his current form....he could be giving KDB a run for his money, if he isn't already. That said, I am an LFC fan, so I do have a bit of a bias. The man is on very good form though, we have to admit!

I think Ronaldo will slide in form from here on out. He's 32 and while he hasn't had major injury problems or massive drops of form or any niggling issues, he's slowly losing his step, which is quite normal at this stage for any player. Messi could be there soon as well, he's only 2 years younger than him.
BullsFan22
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,026
Joined: 22 Jun 2010 21:19

Re:

17 Dec 2017 21:36

jsem94 wrote:KDB is the best player in the world right now on current form. CR7 has fallen off the wayside this autumn. Only Messi can contest him. He was miles ahead of anyone on the pitch against Spurs. Most tackles/interceptions as well as all of those key passes and that goal. He is quite simply a joy to watch now. Not in the flashy way of a Neymar or the technical way of a Messi, but just the way he works in the midfield. Taking up the right positions, bursting away from players and placing pinpoint passes, his pressing, his reading of the game. Pep has spent money, but he has also drastically improved many of the players in his squad. HE is making them better, as he has done with all his teams in the past. It's not just the case of inheriting a great squad. Last year they had far from the best squad. Now look at the likes of Otamendi, Delph, Sané, Sterling.

In other news: Hamsik equals Maradona's Napoli goal tally. Maybe he can finally let loose now and start playing near his best again. Inter lost to Udinese at home in a shocking performance (the writing was on the wall for several weeks though) and Napoli is in a strong position for the Scudetto. Juve are still not at their very best though and will be very difficult to crack in spring. Inter and Roma will battle it out for the 3rd spot probably.

Let's be fair though, Guardiola inherited a team which could (and did) win the league, bought more, struggled, bought some more and now he's way out in front. Guardiola's influence has been great, but frankly anything less than winning the league would've been disappointing. The style has been something else admittedly, and the incredibly dominant feeling is a testament to Pep; but hell, give that team to Montella and they'd still win the league.
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,253
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

17 Dec 2017 22:13

Nope. He personally improved a hell of a lot of those players. Montella would struggle with Otamendi and Stones. Would he have made Sane and Sterling grow into the players they are now? A lot of the players in previous league winning campaigns were also phased out or sold. Only a few players from that time start now. Silva, Fernandinho and to a lesser extent Aguero and Kompany are the few who remain. Toure, Zabaleta, Kolarov etc were deemed surplus to requirement.

I do agree that he had to win the league though. But what about Mou? Does he have any excuses? I don't think so.
User avatar jsem94
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,303
Joined: 05 Oct 2010 18:24
Location: Örebro, Sweden

18 Dec 2017 09:06

I agree with you, so I'll change the statement to: give Montella 2016 man city (and money) and he'd have won the same amount as Pep. He'd have revolutionised less, but won similar (without the style though)
Brullnux
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,253
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

18 Dec 2017 11:24

Brullnux wrote:I agree with you, so I'll change the statement to: give Montella 2016 man city (and money) and he'd have won the same amount as Pep. He'd have revolutionised less, but won similar (without the style though)


You're making a very common mistake when assessing the squad Pep inherited when he came to City. Although those players had won a lot previously, by summer 2016 the team was mainly comprised of over the hill players resting on the laurels of past glory, with big egos having split the dressing room to fractions. This was not the squad to immediately win titles with, it was rather a side in need of a major rebuild.

Part of that rebuilding was done immediately, but some glaring weaknesses remained. And those weaknesses cost them in games against higher quality opposition, and consequently made it impossible to win titles, but the ruthlessness against smaller opponents was already there. The one area were Pep can be blamed is not buying at least one world class full-back (or wingback) immediately in 2016. It is quite strange, given how important part full-backs have played in his teams tactical schemes previously. Maybe he overestimated players he inherited on those positions, but whatever the answer is, this is one area where he is open to criticism.

This summer the rebuilding was completed and results are there for all to see. With the squad Pep inherited, Montella would likely have won as much as Pep himself (i.e. nothing), but the team would certainly not be in a position to start the next season the way current City side have.

I had my doubts about Pep when he went to Bayern straight after Heynkes had won all there was to win. His work there over the next three years confirmed he is the best manager of our time. Concentrating mainly on results when evaluating managers can give half truths at best, specially when talking about knock-out competitions like Champions League.
User avatar Põhja Konn
Member
 
Posts: 439
Joined: 01 Sep 2012 17:09

22 Dec 2017 19:37

Ars vs Liv will start in about 10...
Could be classic leading up to eoy.

Neutral and just want to see a blast.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,518
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

22 Dec 2017 19:55

Henderson off, but luckily one of my favorites will come on....
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,518
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

22 Dec 2017 20:13

'pool leads now with 17 to go, first half.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,518
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

22 Dec 2017 21:00

2-2 with 35 to go..............
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,518
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

22 Dec 2017 21:03

3-2, excellent goal.....
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,518
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

22 Dec 2017 21:15

3-3 with 20 to go.....
Dazed and Confused
Veteran
 
Posts: 11,518
Joined: 27 Jan 2012 23:14

23 Dec 2017 10:48

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/22/sports/soccer/fifa-trial.html
Two top international soccer officials were found guilty on Friday for their roles in a web of corruption that extended across several continents and ensnared dozens of men who control the world’s most popular sport.

A jury in federal court in Brooklyn on Friday convicted the men: Juan Ángel Napout of Paraguay, the former top soccer official of South America, who was accused of accepting $10.5 million in bribes since 2010; and José Maria Marin, the former top soccer official of Brazil, who was accused of accepting $6.55 million.

Mr. Marin was found guilty on six counts, of racketeering conspiracy, wire fraud, and money laundering conspiracy. He was found not guilty on one count of money laundering conspiracy.

Mr. Napout was found guilty on three counts, of racketeering conspiracy and wire fraud conspiracy. He was found not guilty on two counts of money laundering conspiracy.

The month long trial featured incriminating testimony by former associates, but defense lawyers argued that there was little documentary evidence of money changing hands. Both men were convicted of racketeering conspiracy and wire fraud conspiracy, each count of which can carry up to 20 years in prison.
Continue reading the main story

Responding to the verdict, FIFA, world soccer’s governing body, released a statement on Friday seizing on its long-held status as a victim in the case and restating the organization’s intention to reclaim tens of millions of dollars that the United States has ordered the convicted criminals to forfeit.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,058
Joined: 29 Mar 2016 08:56
Location: stockholm, sweden

23 Dec 2017 16:45

Sorry fo off topic but To Harry Kane: if you are not following Premier League how you can know him, he was not playing Champions and he was not visible in top international football like Euro tournament or world cup. I always was fan of Italian football and football is in my heart hole life and I saw every champions league final in last 20 years and every tournament like world cup and Euro, still striker in not top team like Tottenham is which is barely playing Champions once every 10 year does not going in my mind among best football players :) maybe I am not so much watching names, I understand that I should know him but it is like that
bassano
Member
 
Posts: 436
Joined: 26 Nov 2014 13:47
Location: Czech Republic

Re:

24 Dec 2017 10:41

bassano wrote:Sorry fo off topic but To Harry Kane: if you are not following Premier League how you can know him, he was not playing Champions and he was not visible in top international football like Euro tournament or world cup. I always was fan of Italian football and football is in my heart hole life and I saw every champions league final in last 20 years and every tournament like world cup and Euro, still striker in not top team like Tottenham is which is barely playing Champions once every 10 year does not going in my mind among best football players :) maybe I am not so much watching names, I understand that I should know him but it is like that


Harry Kane is one of the worlds best strikers in maybe the worlds biggest sport and in the most watched league in that sport. My Mom who doesn't even watch sports knows who he is. I am an Arsenal fan, but tottenham are a top team right now, beat madrid 3-1 this season. I am pretty sure he is one of the most famous atlethes around right now and played in the last euro aged 22. Tottenham are in the champions league btw and accualty in the last 16. Merry Christmas :)
Frankschleck
Member
 
Posts: 536
Joined: 17 Jul 2016 20:10

Re: Re:

24 Dec 2017 12:28

Frankschleck wrote:
bassano wrote:Sorry fo off topic but To Harry Kane: if you are not following Premier League how you can know him, he was not playing Champions and he was not visible in top international football like Euro tournament or world cup. I always was fan of Italian football and football is in my heart hole life and I saw every champions league final in last 20 years and every tournament like world cup and Euro, still striker in not top team like Tottenham is which is barely playing Champions once every 10 year does not going in my mind among best football players :) maybe I am not so much watching names, I understand that I should know him but it is like that


Harry Kane is one of the worlds best strikers in maybe the worlds biggest sport and in the most watched league in that sport. My Mom who doesn't even watch sports knows who he is. I am an Arsenal fan, but tottenham are a top team right now, beat madrid 3-1 this season. I am pretty sure he is one of the most famous atlethes around right now and played in the last euro aged 22. Tottenham are in the champions league btw and accualty in the last 16. Merry Christmas :)


Harry Kane is very good stricker indeed, but actually the fact he is playing Tottenham does not get him to big headers outside England regularly. He isn't either big personality that would yield lot of stories. Thus he is not really hugely well known star in the continent Europe I'm afraid.

And Tottenham is not top team this season (so far), despite the fact they are doing well in Champions league.

Ballon D'Or shows clearly the bias of offensive players always getting most attention in Football, I do regard even the ranking of EAsport for FIFA (which is made by experts of the sports) more accurate listing of who is who in Football. And there Kane is something like #53 in the world and around #15 in Premier League, which is around right to me as complete Footballers in all positions of the game. He is still best English player, so all hats off.

**** this is so out of topic, but couldn't help myself. Merry Christmas all!
bambino
Member
 
Posts: 573
Joined: 24 May 2013 10:37

Re: Chris Froome Discussion Thread.

24 Dec 2017 13:36

Kane has scored the joint 2nd most club goals in 2017 out of anyone in the whole world out of the top 5 leagues, only behind Messi. That is 36 goals in 35 games or one every 83 minutes!!! It also equals the record for most goals in the PL in a calendar year with Shearer.
And for club and country he has scored a ridiculous 53 goals in 2017 which is joint second, only 1 behind Messi. And, unlike Barcelona, Tottenham have one more game left before January where Kane could become the highest scorer of all the top leagues in 2017.
The amount of times his goals have won points for Tottenham is crazy.

How on earth is he anywhere near #53 in the world or #15 in the PL!?

[And, by the way, in the one game he has played since this conversation started, Kane scored a hat-trick (the only goals in a 3-0 win) against Burnley, who were 6th in the league. It was his 7th hat-trick in 2017!]
User avatar Ruby United
Member
 
Posts: 1,839
Joined: 03 Jan 2012 18:16
Location: London

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Back to top