Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

04 Sep 2017 14:00

hi, my favorite is Real Madrid (Spain)
jammartinez760
Newly Registered Member

23 Sep 2017 17:37

Leicester 1 - 2 Liverpool with 2nd half just started.
Good pace and intensity.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

23 Sep 2017 17:59

2 -3, wonderful game.
Henderson first then Vardy.
20 mins plus change left.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

24 Sep 2017 10:48

Liverpool are the great entertainers this year, both in good and bad way. They completely lack in game management, being up 2 or 3 goals against lesser opposition is no guarantee of victory.

Although their defence have been the popular target for criticism, I'm of the opinion that real problem positions for Liverpool are goalkeeper and defensive midfield. While none of their defenders are world class, they also completely lack protection from midfield as well as assurance and organisation from behind which a world class DM and goalkeeper would offer. It all makes their defensive line look much worse than they actually are. Although, for the sake of fairness, their defence do lack leadership. It was expected of Matip, but he hasn't delivered.

In the Premier League, first signs of a three horse race for the title are emerging. Having said that, it is still very early days and Tottenham and Liverpool can certainly not yet be counted out of it. Also, United has had extremely easy fixture list up to now and haven't yet been really tested. In this stage of his career Mourinho is a bit like a ticking time bomb - when in important games key decisions and results start going against United, he could easily become the greatest hindrance to his own team.
User avatar Põhja Konn

Re: The Real Football Thread

28 Sep 2017 13:24

Bayern sacked Ancelotti. Seems like good old FC Hollywood is back. :lol:
Max Rockatansky

11 Oct 2017 07:43

So.

Arjen Robben retired from the Dutch national team. And he did in the most hopeless qualification match ever. Still the best and most determined player in the world, at the age of 33 and after about 92 injuries throughout his career.

Dumoulin better win a bunch more, cause the we ain't winning nothing at football in the forseeable future
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick

11 Oct 2017 12:30

Strange that a country that made the 2010 final and was a penalty away from making the last world cup final now isn't in it. Shows how international football can change any minute. Wont win 2018 but could win 2020 euros i guess
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

Re:

11 Oct 2017 13:18

The Hitch wrote:Strange that a country that made the 2010 final and was a penalty away from making the last world cup final now isn't in it. Shows how international football can change any minute. Wont win 2018 but could win 2020 euros i guess

For a large part it's due to inept coaching. As far as the quality of the players is concerned, the Dutch team isn't what it used to be, but it shouldn't have been a problem to qualify for he 2016 euros and the 2018 world cup.

Louis van Gaal and Guus Hiddink have basically completely opposite coaching styles, so switching from Van Gaal to Hiddink after the 2014 world cup was always going to be awkward. After some failures in that regard, they panicked and sacked Hiddink and appointed Danny Blind, whose only real previous coaching experience was one year at Ajax, where he failed and got sacked. Blind, being an awfully inept coach, failed, then they appointed **** Advocaat and with Advocaat the Netherlands have won every qualification match except one against France, who admittedly have much better players than the Netherlands these days. But the resurgence under Advocaat was too little too late.

In the end, the Netherlands only missed the play offs for qualification by a hair's breadth. Hugo Lloris not giving away a goal against Sweden would have done it. Danny Blind not playing a barely 17 year old centre back in the starting eleven against Bulgaria might have done the trick. Bas Dost's goal in the first match against Sweden not getting cancelled incorrectly would have done it. If points in matches between tied teams would have been the first tiebreaker, rather than goal difference, the Netherlands would have made the play offs.

Really, though the level of Dutch football has definitely fallen in recent years (also visible when looking at how Dutch clubs perform last couple of years, with Ajax in the EL last year being the only notable exception), it's nowhere near as dramatic as the media would have people believe. If we don't have an inept coach and bad luck next time, it shouldn't be a problem at all to qualify for the 2020 euros.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

Re:

11 Oct 2017 14:35

The Hitch wrote:Strange that a country that made the 2010 final and was a penalty away from making the last world cup final now isn't in it. Shows how international football can change any minute. Wont win 2018 but could win 2020 euros i guess

Strange that a country that has made every WC since 1990, and features one of the most promising young players in the world isn't in it, either. All they needed was a tie against one of the worst teams in the tournament.

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:For a large part it's due to inept coaching.

Ditto.

basically completely opposite coaching styles, so switching from one to the other was always going to be awkward.

Ditto.

In the end, only missed the play offs for qualification by a hair's breadth...not giving away a goal would have done it.

Ditto.
Merckx index

Re:

11 Oct 2017 23:30

It goes to show how difficult it is to qualify in Europe, that's all. A couple of mistakes or bad breaks, you lose your group, you're out. And the draw can be ferocious, the group itself, i.e. Spain and Italy can be sooo loaded. France, Sweeden, Bulgaria, that was a tough one...
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

Re: Re:

12 Oct 2017 00:12

Tonton wrote:

It goes to show how difficult it is to qualify in Europe, that's all. A couple of mistakes or bad breaks, you lose your group, you're out. And the draw can be ferocious, the group itself, i.e. Spain and Italy can be sooo loaded. France, Sweeden, Bulgaria, that was a tough one...

Tonton, can we make a deal right here. Dumoulin the Tour, France the World Cup. Completely binding agreement for both countries. Deal?
User avatar Red Rick

Re:

12 Oct 2017 00:50

Red Rick wrote:So.

Arjen Robben retired from the Dutch national team. And he did in the most hopeless qualification match ever. Still the best and most determined player in the world, at the age of 33 and after about 92 injuries throughout his career.

Dumoulin better win a bunch more, cause the we ain't winning nothing at football in the forseeable future

Well the Dutch women won the Euro this year...
BullsFan22

12 Oct 2017 15:21

BullsFan22 wrote:

This. And the best and most determined player in the world? Not in my book. A world class player, but the best in the world? No.
User avatar jsem94

12 Oct 2017 18:37

Tonton wrote:

That's helped by the stupid fifa rankings, but also because Netherlands are pretty bad. Basically every other nation qualified for the euros last year. Somehow Netherlands managed to not.
Brullnux

12 Oct 2017 19:07

Is that a whiff of the Gunners sneaking into the top four on Saturday....?
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

12 Oct 2017 22:36

Red Rick wrote:
Tonton wrote:

Tonton, can we make a deal right here. Dumoulin the Tour, France the World Cup. Completely binding agreement for both countries. Deal?

Nah, but I'd Take Pinot the Giro, Dumoulin the Tour, and Contador scoring the winning goal for Spain in the World Cup final :) .
When I woke up and saw the yellow jersey that I had left by my bed the night before, I asked myself: "what are you doing in Merckx's bedroom?" I couldn't believe it - Bernard Thevenet
User avatar Tonton

13 Oct 2017 07:49

Tonton wrote:

Please. Sweden and Bulgaria really aren't all that. A top team over 9 games should make it. I get that they were unlucky due to disallowed goals and that but I dont think a group with those kind of teams is something that bad considering at the actual world cup you will find yourself having to beat significantly better teams.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

13 Oct 2017 07:53

Merckx index wrote:

Strange that a country that has made every WC since 1990, and features one of the most promising young players in the world isn't in it, either. All they needed was a tie against one of the worst teams in the tournament.

Maaaaaaaarten wrote:For a large part it's due to inept coaching.

Ditto.

basically completely opposite coaching styles, so switching from one to the other was always going to be awkward.

Ditto.

In the end, only missed the play offs for qualification by a hair's breadth...not giving away a goal would have done it.

Ditto.

I'm glad the US aren't in. Do not want soccer developed there at all.

I fear a world in which soccer is the only world sport (what will happen if it keeps growing in the US, and then eventually south Asia), in the same way that the US used to fear a world in which communism is the only world government.

I really enjoy the American sports and really hope they still rule there 20 -30 years from now and that kids dont start dreaming of playing with Fifa instead of NBA or NFL or MLB.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

14 Oct 2017 04:42

The Hitch wrote:
I'm glad the US aren't in. Do not want soccer developed there at all.

I fear a world in which soccer is the only world sport (what will happen if it keeps growing in the US, and then eventually south Asia), in the same way that the US used to fear a world in which communism is the only world government.

I really enjoy the American sports and really hope they still rule there 20 -30 years from now and that kids dont start dreaming of playing with Fifa instead of NBA or NFL or MLB.

You're paranoid, Hitch, it ain't gonna happen. All that's changed is that most of the U.S. now follows the World Cup (or would have if the U.S. was in it), but still don't pay much attention to soccer in between. It's possible that the NFL's popularity will decline, due to the concussion risk primarily, but the NBA is stronger than ever, and so, surprisingly, is MLB, according to recent polls.

The U.S. coach, himself a recent replacement, is out.
Merckx index

14 Oct 2017 08:53

jsem94 wrote:
BullsFan22 wrote:

This. And the best and most determined player in the world? Not in my book. A world class player, but the best in the world? No.

Whoops. I really meant to type he was still the best and most determined player on the team. :o
User avatar Red Rick

PreviousNext

Return to General