Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

Re: Re:

24 Dec 2017 15:11

bambino wrote:
Frankschleck wrote:
bassano wrote:Sorry fo off topic but To Harry Kane: if you are not following Premier League how you can know him, he was not playing Champions and he was not visible in top international football like Euro tournament or world cup. I always was fan of Italian football and football is in my heart hole life and I saw every champions league final in last 20 years and every tournament like world cup and Euro, still striker in not top team like Tottenham is which is barely playing Champions once every 10 year does not going in my mind among best football players :) maybe I am not so much watching names, I understand that I should know him but it is like that

Harry Kane is one of the worlds best strikers in maybe the worlds biggest sport and in the most watched league in that sport. My Mom who doesn't even watch sports knows who he is. I am an Arsenal fan, but tottenham are a top team right now, beat madrid 3-1 this season. I am pretty sure he is one of the most famous atlethes around right now and played in the last euro aged 22. Tottenham are in the champions league btw and accualty in the last 16. Merry Christmas :)

Harry Kane is very good stricker indeed, but actually the fact he is playing Tottenham does not get him to big headers outside England regularly. He isn't either big personality that would yield lot of stories. Thus he is not really hugely well known star in the continent Europe I'm afraid.

And Tottenham is not top team this season (so far), despite the fact they are doing well in Champions league.

Ballon D'Or shows clearly the bias of offensive players always getting most attention in Football, I do regard even the ranking of EAsport for FIFA (which is made by experts of the sports) more accurate listing of who is who in Football. And there Kane is something like #53 in the world and around #15 in Premier League, which is around right to me as complete Footballers in all positions of the game. He is still best English player, so all hats off.

**** this is so out of topic, but couldn't help myself. Merry Christmas all!

I am Danish, and everyone knows him. You do know he was just called the 10th best player in the world, and second best in the premier league, but man the guys is world famous. Second topscorer in Europe right kow. Couldnt help my self either. Merry christmas everyone. Boring personality, and spurs player, so i hate him, but he is one of the most known footballers right now. Cheers.
Frankschleck

24 Dec 2017 18:42

Kane strikes me as incredibly dim. But it's fair enough not really knowing him that well if you pay absolutely no attention to English football.

Oh, and EA sport ratings are a joke. Really biased to PL and La Liga and just any hypetrain. Dybala is 88 while Icardi is 84. Ibra is 88 somehow.
Brullnux
Veteran

Re: The Real Football Thread

25 Dec 2017 11:08

So looks like the best player for 3 of Chelseas rivals is one of their rejects.

Don't totally blame them since all 3 were late bloomers in that regard, all 3 seem to have mid early career transformations.
User avatar The Hitch
Veteran

25 Dec 2017 15:43

The Guardian put Harry Kane as the 5th best footballer in the world. GTFOH.
User avatar jsem94

Re:

25 Dec 2017 16:23

jsem94 wrote:The Guardian put Harry Kane as the 5th best footballer in the world. GTFOH.

English newspaper in England. No surprise.

Again I think Harry is a great stricker, but that's it. One trick pony in a game that has so much more in it to be able to score, or even more, to win the game. But the scorer always gets the biggest credit.
bambino

26 Dec 2017 09:04

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42480603
Russia's most senior football official has temporarily stood down as he fights a ban given for state-backed doping.

Vitaly Mutko was banned from the Olympics for life in early December having been accused of running a huge Olympic doping programme.

Mr Mutko said he would stand down as president of the Russian Football Union while he contests the ban.

He has always denied taking part in doping but Russia was banned from competing in the 2018 Winter Olympics.

Mr Mutko will continue to carry out his role as the chief organiser of next summer's football World Cup in Russia.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

26 Dec 2017 18:19

Kane scored another hat-trick today, making it his second hat-trick in a row. Also, he has now scored the most goals in a PL calendar year and the most goals in 2017 amongst all players, 2 more than Messi!
He may not be a particularly skillful or nice footballer to watch but the stats do not lie.
User avatar Ruby United

27 Dec 2017 00:07

He is a crazy No. 9. No denying that. Too good for that Spurs team now. Only him and Alderweireld, maybe Vertonghen, are so good that they'd make almost any team or the periphery of any team. Dembele and Wanyama are great combative midfielders, but they don't have that final quality of a deep-lying playmaker. Dele is a good goal threat but isn't a magician with his feet and extreme creativity.
User avatar jsem94

Re:

27 Dec 2017 10:13

jsem94 wrote:He is a crazy No. 9. No denying that. Too good for that Spurs team now. Only him and Alderweireld, maybe Vertonghen, are so good that they'd make almost any team or the periphery of any team. Dembele and Wanyama are great combative midfielders, but they don't have that final quality of a deep-lying playmaker. Dele is a good goal threat but isn't a magician with his feet and extreme creativity.

No love for Eriksen?

As an Ajax fan, whenever I see Spurs doing well, I always wonder what Ajax could have been if they didn't play in a small league in a football world increasingly dominated by money. Eriksen, Alderweireld, Vertonghen; all products of the Ajax youth academy. Now they also got Sanchez from Ajax (although he didn't come through the Ajax youth academy). Although I'm being somewhat hypocritical here; the transfer system that has all talented Ajax players move to bigger clubs once they had a proper breakthrough is the same transfer system that allows Ajax to get all these super talented players from all over the world.
User avatar Maaaaaaaarten

27 Dec 2017 15:21

Eriksen falls on the periphery maybe. He's a good creator, but is he better than many of the same sort? He's not better than Isco, KDB or Silva; other, traditionally speaking, No. 10s. He's more consistent than Özil as of late, but Özil has a higher ceiling of performance IMO, just needs the right environment to flourish (NOT Wenger's Arsenal, that's for sure). Eriksen would likely improve the squad of Barcelona or Real Madrid, but probably wouldn't make the starting lineup, but he wouldn't be near the RMA starting eleven.

I wouldn't see Koke, Saul, Thiago or Pjanic as the same type of player but I see them all as better also, . He is a very good player, but his level is about that of Spurs IMO. Good enough to play in a team that consistently challenges for top spots in a top league and might get to a quarterfinal or maybe can push into a semifinal in the CL.

I could be wrong though. He might end up surprising me if Spurs get even better or he moves somewhere bigger and gets going for real.
User avatar jsem94

27 Dec 2017 15:59

I don't know, I think I'd probably rate him higher than that. He has been one of the most creative players in the PL (in terms of assists) last two seasons. De Bruyne seems to be in a league of his own these days, but apart from that I think I'd rank Eriksen in the top tier of number tens/playmakers/creative midfielders/whatever you want to call it. Comparing players is always difficult though because context matters in terms of which team they play in, which competition, fluctuations in form etc., but the effect of that is difficult to assess. I'm not saying he'd necessarily make the starting eleven currently, but I don't think he would be out of place in a top team at all. If I was running Barca for instance and I had Eriksen, I wouldn't think twice about fielding him instead of, say, an elderly Iniesta.

But yeah, I'm excited to see how well Eriksen and indeed Spurs will do in the CL this year. Are they going to affirm the trend of last few years and confirm their status as a big club or not?

27 Dec 2017 17:38

I'd still play Iniesta in the big games. Eriksen could be used interchangeably with Rakitic or instead of Iniesta in smaller games.
User avatar jsem94

29 Dec 2017 07:43

Better late then never - Liverpool buy a defender! :D
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

“It doesn’t matter what I do. People need to hear what I have to say. There’s no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn’t matter what I live.”
User avatar Robert5091

01 Jan 2018 23:45

Can the title run away from City, this year? I don't think so
drebelo

02 Jan 2018 14:02

Kevin de Bruyne not seriously injured, he'll be ready for the next game. Jesus sidelined for two months. Palace should really have won that game, but now that that's over City will probably go unbeaten.
User avatar jsem94

Re:

02 Jan 2018 20:35

jsem94 wrote:Kevin de Bruyne not seriously injured, he'll be ready for the next game. Jesus sidelined for two months. Palace should really have won that game, but now that that's over City will probably go unbeaten.

I don't think so. They'll lose a game when a better team than Palace does an Ancelotti on them. But only one or maximum two. Admittedly the team to beat them could actually happen in the Champions League and they will actually do the League unbeaten as United seem out of ideas, Chelsea will play them away, Arsenal are Arsenal and Tottenham aren't looking amazing. Liverpool have the attack to beat them but their defence is so poor that it's hard to see City not put 3 past them, unless Van Dijk really does bring an incredible improvement.
Brullnux
Veteran

03 Jan 2018 14:24

Speaking about Liverpool's defense, what do you all think about Van Dijk, now the most expensive defender? Is he going to substantially improve Liverpool's subpar defense? I don't follow the premier league that closely and Southampton aren't on the top of my list of teams to follow, so I haven't seen him play many games to be honest. In the Dutch national team Van Dijk wasn't very convincing, but then again, nobody has been very convincing the the Dutch national team for a few years now. Obviously with transfer prices skyrocketing these records don't mean that much, but is he rightly considered one of the best centre backs in the Premier League (as his price tag would suggest)?

03 Jan 2018 15:21

No competition for MC this year
Zaka_fan

05 Jan 2018 19:10

Mike Dean can eat a penis.

(Just a gunner fan venting)
The poster formerly known as yespatterns.
User avatar GraftPunk

06 Jan 2018 02:53

Mike Dean is a Tottenham fan,
Mike Dean is a Tottenham fan
User avatar jsem94

PreviousNext

Return to General