Register

The Real Football Thread

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Eshnar, Irondan, King Boonen, Red Rick, Pricey_sky

12 Dec 2018 01:04

Napoli should complain with themselves, the 0-0 with Crvena Zvedza and the goal conceded in the extra time in Paris were decisive, but IMHO they overperfomed (maybe Ancelotti effect), no one would have betted on them in a group against PSG and Liverpool.
But the elimination could be a blessing in disguise, if they'll go to Europa League with the right mindset they can win, and will be huge for them, the last time they won something there was Maradona.

Looking to last 16 draw between the first four groups seconds we have Atlético, Tottenham and Liverpool. We could have already in February something like Barcelona Vs. Liverpool, Juventus Vs. Atlético and Real Vs. Tottenham, and if Bayern will lose tomorrow will be also second of his group.
Nirvana

Re:

12 Dec 2018 14:23

Nirvana wrote:Napoli should complain with themselves, the 0-0 with Crvena Zvedza and the goal conceded in the extra time in Paris were decisive, but IMHO they overperfomed (maybe Ancelotti effect), no one would have betted on them in a group against PSG and Liverpool.
But the elimination could be a blessing in disguise, if they'll go to Europa League with the right mindset they can win, and will be huge for them, the last time they won something there was Maradona.

Looking to last 16 draw between the first four groups seconds we have Atlético, Tottenham and Liverpool. We could have already in February something like Barcelona Vs. Liverpool, Juventus Vs. Atlético and Real Vs. Tottenham, and if Bayern will lose tomorrow will be also second of his group.

Well you could have been able to tell that about both Liverpool and PSG too, had one of them been eliminated. Liverpool specially were a complete shambles away from home. Midfield filled with hard runners with no creativity and unable to recreate the intensity of Anfield in away games, they were hugely lucky to scrape through on home form alone.

Agree that there will almost certainly be some mouthwatering fixtures already in the first knock-out round. Will be intresting to see how the incoming VAR will influence the playoffs, as the last few seasons have been completely dominated by scandalous refereeing mistakes.
User avatar Põhja Konn

12 Dec 2018 23:10

So after the end of group stage we have:

*Pot 1: Borussia Dortmund, Barça, PSG, Porto, Bayern, Man. City, Real, Juventus.
*Pot 2: Atlético Madrid, Tottenham, Liverpool, Schalke, Ajax, Olympique Lyonnais, Roma, Man. UTD.

*UEL: Club Brugge, Inter, Napoli, Galatasaray, Benfica, Shakhtar, Viktoria Plzeň, Valencia.

I've tried to make a draw using one of the sites that provides random draws that's the result:

Porto Vs. Roma
Barça Vs. Olympique Lyonnais
Bayern Vs. Man. UTD
Man. City Vs. Schalke
Borussia Dortmund Vs. Liverpool
Real Vs. Tottenham
Juventus Vs. Ajax
PSG Vs. Atlético Madrid
Nirvana

16 Dec 2018 15:22

Joses' MU to park the bus v Liverpool today - hope for an early 'Pool goal to open things up.

Edit - post match - poor showing from Joses' boys.
"Are you going to believe me or what you see with your own eyes?"

Occam's razor - the best a man can get!
User avatar Robert5091

Re:

18 Dec 2018 00:04

ebandit wrote:
del1962 wrote:Nations League Semis

England v Netherlands
Portugal v Switzerland

why? nations league.............just as pointless as europa league

southgate grumbled 'players were not fresh enough for 1st international break after
early start to premier league' an early start to accomodate 3 international breaks
before xmas LOL!

disrupting premier league costing teams like spurs

not as though i should care i loved arsenal 4 spurs 2

Inter toto cup was the big one, especially 2006 :D
del1962
Veteran

18 Dec 2018 10:59

User avatar Robert5091

18 Dec 2018 12:29

ebandit wrote: grumble................

boy do man u need to sack mourihno.........their goal difference minus 1 /no chance of finishing
top 4

but he should be sacked 'cos he's an iidiot always blaming his own players..........hows that gonna
gel his team

LOL

about time too...moaning maureen is gone......normally i would be supportive of

managers but it was though mourihno had lost touch with reality.......hardly

good for man u

...and that busted the myth 'man u don't sack managers...'
User avatar ebandit

19 Dec 2018 09:36

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46616768
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer named Man Utd caretaker manager until end of season

Wow! Did not expect him! Expect NRK to show MU matches now. :D

User avatar Robert5091

19 Dec 2018 17:11

Looks like Inter fans want Mourinho reading their comments here and there.
I know that Spalletti should be sacked and they love Mou but i don't think is a wise choice bring him back, a team that need to be almost totally rebuilt should hire someone like Conte for an year or two.
Nirvana

22 Dec 2018 17:51

MCity out done by ol' man Roy Hodgson :lol: (shows how much David Silva is missed too)

User avatar Robert5091

27 Dec 2018 11:26

Gasperini should leave Italy, it's not for him, first time this year i've seen a good match in Serie A with Atalantanta attacking Juventus all the time instead of doing catenaccio for 90 minutes and limit the losses to 1-0 or 2-0.
Nirvana

Re: The Real Football Thread

27 Dec 2018 23:05

As a Liverpool fan I must say it's been a VERY good season for us so far. Obviously. City losing its last two is an added bonus. Six point lead now. Not too long ago the pundits were saying how it was important to keep up with City, every game counts, well, I honestly didn't see us pulling a two game lead this early, but I'll take it. Our tendency was to let winnable games slip by our fingertips, lose games when we were up 2-0 or let 3-0 games end up in 3-3 and playing down to our opponents. This season the defense is much better and there's no let up, no errors, no mistakes that lead to counterattacks and no choking. I don't personally like Shaqiri, he's a bit of a brat and his political shenanigans on the pitch irked me in the past, but he's good player and he's delivering so far. The last time we were genuinely contending for the title was in the 2013/2014 season. Then the last month or so happened and we missed a golden opportunity. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. This season just feels different.
BullsFan22

28 Dec 2018 07:20

City seem to have got Liverpool's dodgy defence from last year. :)

User avatar Robert5091

Re:

29 Dec 2018 14:09

Nirvana wrote:Gasperini should leave Italy, it's not for him, first time this year i've seen a good match in Serie A with Atalantanta attacking Juventus all the time instead of doing catenaccio for 90 minutes and limit the losses to 1-0 or 2-0.

Think you're being harsh here to the likes of De Zerbi, Giampaolo and the old Empoli coach before he got sacked. There are very few teams in Serie A which properly 'park the bus' anymore compared to, say the premier league, in which basically every team outside the top 6 or so against City, Chelsea and Liverpool end up with less than a third of the possession. This is partly down to the style of those teams compared to Juve, but teams in italy now are generally more attacking. You still get a couple of anti-football teams like Bologna and Frosinone, and some teams which depend on quick players like parma but most midtable teams now like to have the ball.
Brullnux
Veteran

29 Dec 2018 14:55

But also without parking the bus they are boring, it's always a defensive/limit the losses play and you rarely see an offensive play, even Juventus generally plays a tiki taka style with a lot of passes around midfield to control the ball and keep an high possession, they have only some burst when needed. This season I've seen a dozen of Juventus matches and they played only two times very good football, and both times was in Champions League not in Serie A.
In recent seasons there was an exception only in Napoli under Sarri, and what they did in Italy? They joked about his "bel gioco" instead of appreciating it. Seems like the majority of Italians prefer to see a boring 0-0 with an exasperated defensive play rather than more goals, counterattacks and an offensive play.
Nirvana

03 Jan 2019 22:51

Congrats to MCity's win over 'Pool - City's midfield won the day.

User avatar Robert5091

13 Jan 2019 18:28

De Gea gives best goalie performance at Wembley since Tomaszewski - outstanding.

User avatar Robert5091

25 Jan 2019 20:02

FA Cup, lesser round, but perhaps worthy of a final.....

Gunners Vs Man United

0-0 just started.
Dazed and Confused
Veteran

Re:

25 Jan 2019 21:56

Dazed and Confused wrote:FA Cup, lesser round, but perhaps worthy of a final.....

Gunners Vs Man United

0-0 just started.

Shame Man U sacked Jose :eek:
del1962
Veteran

Re: The Real Football Thread

26 Jan 2019 14:25

del1962 wrote:
[url=<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=2330768#p2330768</span>]Dazed and Confused[/url] wrote:FA Cup, lesser round, but perhaps worthy of a final.....

Gunners Vs Man United

0-0 just started.

Shame Man U sacked Jose :eek:

Ole Gunnar outguns Gunners :D

User avatar Robert5091

PreviousNext

Return to General