Register

Boxing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re:

02 Mar 2016 16:15

"...the change will result in a decrease in concussions." I had read this before, less chance of TBI without head gear.

"He looked at research involving 15,000 boxers, half of whom had competed with headgear and half without.
He found that in the 7,352 rounds that took place with boxers wearing headgear, the rate of concussion was 0.38 per cent, compared with 0.17 per cent per boxer per round in the 7,545 rounds without headgear."
jmdirt

Re: Re:

02 Mar 2016 19:52

jmdirt wrote:

"...the change will result in a decrease in concussions." I had read this before, less chance of TBI without head gear.

"He looked at research involving 15,000 boxers, half of whom had competed with headgear and half without.
He found that in the 7,352 rounds that took place with boxers wearing headgear, the rate of concussion was 0.38 per cent, compared with 0.17 per cent per boxer per round in the 7,545 rounds without headgear."

Headgear mostly just stops cuts and bruises, it doesn't do too much to stop brain trauma, it gives a false sense of security. It can hinder you vison (a little bit) and your head becomes a bigger target.
User avatar Mayomaniac

02 Mar 2016 20:02

Mayomaniac wrote:
jmdirt wrote:

Headgear mostly just stops cuts and bruises, it doesn't do too much to stop brain trauma, it gives a false sense of security. It can hinder you vison (a little bit) and your head becomes a bigger target.

I have also read that head gear spreads the impact zone maybe because it absorbs part of the blow.
movingtarget
Veteran

04 Mar 2016 13:17

I am pretty sure it was Angelo Dundee who said the same thing, but it may have actually been Ferdie Pachecho, or Angelo echoing Ferdie. He wanted amateur boxers to wear no head gear, and to use 8oz gloves, and even smaller gloves for the lighter weight classes. (Current rules are 12oz above 165lbs, and 10oz under). I think he wanted lighter weight gloves for the pros as well. His theory was that it would localize the impact better, and cause less brain trauma. Put another way, you might see more broken jaws, loose teeth, swollen eyes, and yes, more cuts, but less brain injuries which are more serious.

I'll have to look this up, but I'm pretty sure I have it right.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator

04 Mar 2016 13:22

Speaking of the Olympics, Pacquiao says that if the decision is made to allow pro boxers to compete (it will be voted on in May, I believe), he would consider representing the Philippines (which has never produced a Gold Medal winner in its entire history). Pacquiao is scheduled to fight against Tim Bradley next month, and that was supposed to be the end of his career. If pros are allowed, it would be very interesting to see who else would enter, and whether Pacquiao, clearly on the decline, might have some real competition.
User avatar Merckx index

02 Apr 2016 17:45

Broner vs. Theophane

That seemed like a crappy stoppage..
jmdirt

08 May 2016 03:51

movingtarget
Veteran

08 May 2016 09:45

A report in the last couple of days said a Mayweather v McGregor fight was in the works.

Mayweather Snr. has now added fuel to the speculation.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/7133755/Floyd-Mayweather-Snr-appears-to-confirm-eagerly-anticipated-fight-between-son-and-Conor-McGregor-is-on.html

Could this be actually happening?
User avatar gooner

Re:

08 May 2016 10:33

gooner wrote:A report in the last couple of days said a Mayweather v McGregor fight was in the works.

http://www.thesun.ie/irishsol/homepage/sport/7133755/Floyd-Mayweather-Snr-appears-to-confirm-eagerly-anticipated-fight-between-son-and-Conor-McGregor-is-on.html

Strange, sounds a bit like Ali versus Inoki all over again. A mismatch I would not watch for free. How much money does Mayweather need ? I checked the calendar and it's not 1 April after all !
movingtarget
Veteran

08 May 2016 10:46

movingtarget wrote:
gooner wrote:A report in the last couple of days said a Mayweather v McGregor fight was in the works.

Strange, sounds a bit like Ali versus Inoki all over again. A mismatch I would not watch for free. How much money does Mayweather need ? I checked the calendar and it's not 1 April after all !

Likewise, wouldn't watch it whatsoever.

Mayweather now hasn't ruled out a fight against a guy in MMA.

http://www.newstalk.com/reader/47.302/72142/0/

McGregor still has 6 fights left in his UFC contract so I don't know how this would come about. You mention money, I actually don't know any sportsperson that talks about making money more than Mayweather and McGregor. Even with what they have earned, I wouldn't put this past them.
User avatar gooner

Re:

08 May 2016 15:56

Would they just box each other? McGregor would get the snot beat out of him. If they were to go into the octogon Mayweather would get the beatdown that he deserves so badly. I don't see how they could create a competitive fight in either discipline.

Maybe they'll just get into a shouting contest, about money.... :rolleyes:
User avatar Irondan
Veteran

04 Jun 2016 05:00

movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

04 Jun 2016 17:43

I will believe it if I see it. Could well be a plublicity stunt. Anyhow, Mayweather's boxing skills would be far superior to McGregor's. With all due respect to McGregor it would be a complete mismatch.
Zypherov

04 Jun 2016 18:40

Irondan wrote:

Would they just box each other? McGregor would get the snot beat out of him. If they were to go into the octogon Mayweather would get the beatdown that he deserves so badly. I don't see how they could create a competitive fight in either discipline.

Maybe they'll just get into a shouting contest, about money.... :rolleyes:

I don't know how I missed this post?

I can see it now: $99 to watch them trash talk each other! :D :eek:
jmdirt

13 Jun 2016 00:28

The Greatest Final Round In Heavyweight History ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IupyEYB-27c
movingtarget
Veteran

Re:

13 Jun 2016 03:43

movingtarget wrote:The Greatest Final Round In Heavyweight History ?

That entire fight was a war if I remember correctly.
jmdirt

13 Jun 2016 03:59

jmdirt wrote:
movingtarget wrote:The Greatest Final Round In Heavyweight History ?

That entire fight was a war if I remember correctly.

Yeah a great fight.
movingtarget
Veteran

26 Jun 2016 03:46

Two good fights tonight on CBS (Showtime):
Hurd vs. Molina- entertaining 'inside' boxing
Thurman vs Porter-entertaining, a lot of punches thrown (too much pushing from Porter)
-I'm not sure why the ring-side fans were upset with the decision. EDIT: maybe they felt that mauling should get more points (in MMA it would have).

EDIT: I don't remember what the minimum wait time between fights is but Thurman vs. Porter 2 needs to happen ASAP (does the WBA have a 'return fight' rule?). Strange stoppage of the Hurd vs. Molina fight even though it made no difference.
jmdirt

08 Jul 2016 16:31

Brook v Golovkin September 10.

Khan can't say Brook is dodging the big names anymore.
User avatar gooner

PreviousNext

Return to General