Log in:  

Register

Boxing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: peloton, Irondan, Eshnar, Alpe d'Huez, Red Rick, Tonton, Pricey_sky

Re:

08 Jul 2016 16:53

gooner wrote:Brook v Golovkin September 10.

Khan can't say Brook is dodging the big names anymore.


Sure isn't. Sounds nuts to me, he will have to move up two weight classes for this fight. Mayweather wanted no part of GGG, why would Brook?

Edit: Arum's comment on this matchup: Are you effing kidding me?

In other news, Klitschko's rematch with Fury is on, and Bob Arum has gone to the trouble of reserving a venue for mid-October, on the possibility that Pacquiao might come out of retirement, despite just having been elected Senator. Adrien Broner is talked about as an opponent. If that fight happened and Pacquiao won, I wonder if that would be enough to lure Mayweather out of retirement for a rematch?
User avatar Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,013
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

04 Aug 2016 13:42

movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

10 Aug 2016 15:10

So, should the minimumweight category be abolished? The only way a fit, healthy, grown-up man can go down to 45 kg is by engaging in severe dehydration and the sports authorities shouldn't be promoting this.
Check 'em!
User avatar CheckMyPecs
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,400
Joined: 14 Mar 2016 09:24
Location: SW Europe

Re:

11 Aug 2016 15:14

CheckMyPecs wrote:So, should the minimumweight category be abolished? The only way a fit, healthy, grown-up man can go down to 45 kg is by engaging in severe dehydration and the sports authorities shouldn't be promoting this.

It's 49kg (Light Fly) and if you are 1.58m tall then it really isn't an issue, like David Ayrapetyan: European Champion in 2013 and Olympic bronze medalist. Even at 1.65 it isn't a problem. Over 1.70m then it's strange, but I'm 1.70 and 52kg, not skinny I wouldn't say, albeit not a fully grown man. And I'm fine.
Brullnux
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,530
Joined: 31 Mar 2015 14:41

Re:

14 Aug 2016 13:22

CheckMyPecs wrote:So, should the minimumweight category be abolished? The only way a fit, healthy, grown-up man can go down to 45 kg is by engaging in severe dehydration and the sports authorities shouldn't be promoting this.


They sound like jockeys not boxers ! Most jockeys could not get down to 45 these days except for the women of course. The used to have a Straw Weight division although maybe that was the amateurs not the pros.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

16 Aug 2016 10:14

Pro Boxers Allowed To Fight at The Olympics

http://p.nytimes.com/email/re?location=4z5Q7LhI+KVBjmEgFdYACPLKh239P3pgFWq+1dkB9ZfCon5CY8bRDKNsV1hchRZ9RvqaELRrZeUjMgTCrMvOiGZpi57gn2HHbjlIEhT4+uZjH8iiZHELFgZMAx3X9qeYSP8r+LN+8TOjiHuy6MZi9FcyaciODnL8WIt16V9qg5Q=&campaign_id=129&instance_id=80643&segment_id=93706&user_id=12d98412e3bcc0522f6cfbf4c21c54e6&regi_id=42685115

I think this is a ridiculous decision. The Olympics was always a stepping stone for amateur boxers towards a pro career. Another dumb IOC decision. Three round fights for pros ? Weird.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

10 Sep 2016 22:46

gooner wrote:Brook v Golovkin September 10.

Khan can't say Brook is dodging the big names anymore.


Good fight, great decision by Kell's corner, no need to damage the eye anymore. Tough lads, GGG is a notch above though, great chin too. Unlucky Kell a step too far moving up 2 weights. GGG was tested and deserved the win - a beast.
Campervan man
Junior Member
 
Posts: 266
Joined: 19 Sep 2013 06:52


12 Sep 2016 12:18

I definitely remember him, and that's a great tribute article. His fights with Bazooka Limon and Ruben Oliveras were wars, same with a fight against Cornelius Boza-Edwards. The linked fight below with Limon is crazy. Neither fighter held, neither even spent that much time on technique, or speed even, it was just all out, with huge bombs right from the first round to the point of total exhaustion. Hardly anyone fights like this anymore. Well worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtedtNpRII
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,750
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

16 Sep 2016 06:02

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I definitely remember him, and that's a great tribute article. His fights with Bazooka Limon and Ruben Oliveras were wars, same with a fight against Cornelius Boza-Edwards. The linked fight below with Limon is crazy. Neither fighter held, neither even spent that much time on technique, or speed even, it was just all out, with huge bombs right from the first round to the point of total exhaustion. Hardly anyone fights like this anymore. Well worth watching:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtedtNpRII


I had to laugh the first time anyone held in the fight was in Round 13 and the crowd booed Limon ! Incredible fight, a real war. No one comes out of that undamaged.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Boxing

17 Nov 2016 23:05

If you were disappointed by Mayweather-Pacquiao (and who wasn’t), pay attention to Ward-Kovalev this Saturday night. Both are undefeated and rank in the top 5 P4P, which I understand is the first time this has happened since de la Hoya met Trinidad in 1999 (and only the third time in the PPV era). Ward is a superb technician, like Mayweather a defensive wizard. Kovalev is a slugger (26 KO in 30 matches), who has the very unfortunate memory of having killed another fighter in the ring.

Ward, amazingly, has not actually lost a fight since he was twelve years old. He has fought at 168 lb for most of his entire pro career, moving up to light-heavy earlier this year in preparation for this fight. He has fought I think just four times in the past four years, because of injuries and problems with his promoter, and it remains to be seen if that will be a problem.

This fight is not expected to do that well on PPV, because neither fighter is that well known to the casual fan, and Ward in particular has an unexciting style. But it’s arguably one of the best matchups in a very long time. While Mayweather-Pacquiao might have been one of the best matchups ever if they had fought in their prime, by the time they met they were both on the decline. Ward and Kovalev are both in their early 30s.
User avatar Merckx index
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,013
Joined: 27 Jul 2010 19:19

Re: Boxing

17 Nov 2016 23:24

I just see now Sky have picked up the fight, so will be able to watch.

Speaking of TV rights, Frank Warren's Boxnation have gone in with BT which is the biggest ever boxing TV deal in the UK. I say since leaving Sky, the subscription rate for Boxnation wasn't great outside of the real fanatics. Eddie Hearn has real competition again, Warren said he was struggling to sign up fighters who were wary of the lack of recognition if they fought on BoxNation. BoxNation going free with the BT Sports pack and Warren's cards broadcast on BT Sport itself changes all that. It potentially brings in more fans from other sports, who would mainly subscribe to BT for football.

Finally we can see more of Top Tank, Golden Boy etc. and so forth in the future.
User avatar gooner
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,762
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 14:18

18 Nov 2016 09:55

I can't believe that McGregor wants to fight Mayweather. But it sounds like Floyd is getting irritated with the taunting. If it goes ahead and anything is possible in boxing these days, I for one won't be watching. And Floyd likes big pay days while winning as well. Hopefully sanity will prevail for a change.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re:

18 Nov 2016 15:25

movingtarget wrote:I can't believe that McGregor wants to fight Mayweather. But it sounds like Floyd is getting irritated with the taunting. If it goes ahead and anything is possible in boxing these days, I for one won't be watching. And Floyd likes big pay days while winning as well. Hopefully sanity will prevail for a change.

$100 million dollars would certainly be a win for Mcgregor, even if he loses. Mayweather's too stupid to demand the same thing but from the opposite side.

If they fight in the ring by boxing rules alone, and Mayweather wins Mcgregor still wins by virtue of fighting as a novice against the pound for pound king of nearly a decade but giving it a college try and raking in $100 million dollars in the process, thereby making Mayweather look like a loser even though he won. If Mcgregor wins by some chance then his star will be so bright, the sky would be the limit. Mayweather on the other hand would be a washed up, wife beating bum with his only friends being the $100 bills he keeps in his briefcase. We could only dream of such a scenario taking place.

If they fight in the octagon, the odds of Mayweather winning would be astronomically low. Mcgregor would take him apart piece by piece and then rip his throat out. Again, Mcgregor would be the winner regardless of how much money he made. Mcgregor has the most to lose in this though as his career is not at it's apex yet and Mayweather is old by athletic standards. If Mayweather were to beat the brash Irishman, he may not recover from it.

I'd like to see this fight happen, if only to watch Mayweather get hurt (I'm not a big fan of Floyd). I would even buy a PPV to see it which is something I haven't been doing much of in the past few years.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Veteran
 
Posts: 5,565
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Boxing

18 Nov 2016 21:31

Merckx index wrote:If you were disappointed by Mayweather-Pacquiao (and who wasn’t), pay attention to Ward-Kovalev this Saturday night. Both are undefeated and rank in the top 5 P4P, which I understand is the first time this has happened since de la Hoya met Trinidad in 1999 (and only the third time in the PPV era). Ward is a superb technician, like Mayweather a defensive wizard. Kovalev is a slugger (26 KO in 30 matches), who has the very unfortunate memory of having killed another fighter in the ring.

Ward, amazingly, has not actually lost a fight since he was twelve years old. He has fought at 168 lb for most of his entire pro career, moving up to light-heavy earlier this year in preparation for this fight. He has fought I think just four times in the past four years, because of injuries and problems with his promoter, and it remains to be seen if that will be a problem.

This fight is not expected to do that well on PPV, because neither fighter is that well known to the casual fan, and Ward in particular has an unexciting style. But it’s arguably one of the best matchups in a very long time. While Mayweather-Pacquiao might have been one of the best matchups ever if they had fought in their prime, by the time they met they were both on the decline. Ward and Kovalev are both in their early 30s.

It's one hell of a fight, I haven't been so hyped for a fight since Froch vs. Groves II (their first fight was a modern classic, I really miss Froch).
I'm picking Ward, but it's a close fight, Kovalev isn't just a slugger, over the last few years he has really improved leaps and bounds.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,751
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

Re: Re:

18 Nov 2016 22:38

Irondan wrote:
movingtarget wrote:I can't believe that McGregor wants to fight Mayweather. But it sounds like Floyd is getting irritated with the taunting. If it goes ahead and anything is possible in boxing these days, I for one won't be watching. And Floyd likes big pay days while winning as well. Hopefully sanity will prevail for a change.

$100 million dollars would certainly be a win for Mcgregor, even if he loses. Mayweather's too stupid to demand the same thing but from the opposite side.

If they fight in the ring by boxing rules alone, and Mayweather wins Mcgregor still wins by virtue of fighting as a novice against the pound for pound king of nearly a decade but giving it a college try and raking in $100 million dollars in the process, thereby making Mayweather look like a loser even though he won. If Mcgregor wins by some chance then his star will be so bright, the sky would be the limit. Mayweather on the other hand would be a washed up, wife beating bum with his only friends being the $100 bills he keeps in his briefcase. We could only dream of such a scenario taking place.

If they fight in the octagon, the odds of Mayweather winning would be astronomically low. Mcgregor would take him apart piece by piece and then rip his throat out. Again, Mcgregor would be the winner regardless of how much money he made. Mcgregor has the most to lose in this though as his career is not at it's apex yet and Mayweather is old by athletic standards. If Mayweather were to beat the brash Irishman, he may not recover from it.

I'd like to see this fight happen, if only to watch Mayweather get hurt (I'm not a big fan of Floyd). I would even buy a PPV to see it which is something I haven't been doing much of in the past few years.


I admire Mayweather's skills but personality wise he doesn't interest me at all. Would have loved to have seen him fight Manny Pac mid career or even someone like Kostya Tszyu but it never happened. Some great fights went begging. Sometimes because of money issues and sometimes seen as being too risky.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Boxing

19 Nov 2016 11:27

I hope this Mayweather/McGregor fight doesn't happen at all. I'm no fan of either guy personally and the build up would be unbearable listening to the two of them.

I agree with Colin Hart here last week. I hope Mayweather stays in retirement. It's pointless coming back for this or the Pacquiao fight.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxing/2162871/colin-hart-i-hope-floyd-mayweather-never-comes-out-of-retirement-for-another-huge-money-fight-with-manny-pacquiao/

He should follow the route what Calzaghe did. Get out at the right time.

As was said above, McGregor is only in for the money. $100m to be schooled by Mayweather, which is why he is calling for this figure.
User avatar gooner
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,762
Joined: 25 Mar 2013 14:18

Re: Boxing

19 Nov 2016 21:56

gooner wrote:I hope this Mayweather/McGregor fight doesn't happen at all. I'm no fan of either guy personally and the build up would be unbearable listening to the two of them.

I agree with Colin Hart here last week. I hope Mayweather stays in retirement. It's pointless coming back for this or the Pacquiao fight.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxing/2162871/colin-hart-i-hope-floyd-mayweather-never-comes-out-of-retirement-for-another-huge-money-fight-with-manny-pacquiao/

He should follow the route what Calzaghe did. Get out at the right time.

As was said above, McGregor is only in for the money. $100m to be schooled by Mayweather, which is why he is calling for this figure.


Unfortunately a lot of boxers smarter than Mayweather do comeback. Some miss the adrenalin rush and some do it simply because their finances were mishandled which is a nice way of putting it ! I hope it never happens.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 6,717
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

19 Nov 2016 22:57

Almost every athlete in every sport continues on until they are shown they don't have it anymore at all, many ending up broke, several in poverty, or worse, in very poor health, or prison. In fact, going out when shown you're truly finished is so common, it's a very short list of athletes who do the opposite, retire in their prime, or at the first sign of their skills degrading. In boxing I can think of very few. Marciano, Ricardo Lopez, Calzaghe (though he had substance abuse issues after retiring, he did go out on top). I'd say Hagler as well, though he lost his final fight it was a very close, somewhat controversial loss, then retired with his wits about him. And Mayweather, for now at least. Sean O'Grady also had his wits about him, retiring at 24, but he also fought 86 fights (70+ against scrubs), but his last fight against Vederossa was awful. He looked shot.

It would be a long, long list of boxers who retired long after they should have. Like, most fighters. I'd create a list of those who tried to retire, then came back, and eventually lost and looked bad, but even that's a long list.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Administrator
 
Posts: 9,750
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

19 Nov 2016 23:05

Lennox Lewis was also smart enough to retire at the right time, he saw that his decline had already started and retired as a champion, who had avenged his 2 losses by obliterating both McCall and Rahman in the respective rematches.
User avatar Mayomaniac
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,751
Joined: 30 Jun 2014 17:11

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Back to top