Log in:  

Register

Boxing

Grab a short black and come join in the non-cycling discussion. Favourite books, movies, holiday destinations, other sports - chat about it all in the cafe.

Moderators: Irondan, Eshnar, Red Rick, Valv.Piti, Pricey_sky, Tonton, King Boonen

Re:

20 Aug 2017 14:13


Read it as well. This fight will do neither, and is a long time coming, and it's obvious why. Too many sanctioning bodies, too many belts, too many weight classes, every fight is now a title fight of some sort. This leaves only match-ups to watch, where names mean everything, and belts nothing. The Mayweather-McGregor spectacle is just an extension of this.
“This fight isn’t bad for boxing,” DiBella says. “Boxing’s been bad for boxing for a long time now. It went from being one of the one or two biggest sports in America to, in a half-century, becoming marginalized.

For whatever the reason, he says that there is no monopoly - e.g. no singular governing body - this is very true. If you go back between the days of Joe Louis, through the 50's with all the great fighters at various weights, through the Ali, Frazier, Forman, Norton years, through SRL, Hagler, Hearns, Duran, etc. Boxing was one of the biggest sports in the world, and often 2nd, or 3rd in the US, behind only MLB, and then the NFL. Now, depending on what list you look at, it's barely in the top ten, passed up by motor sports, soccer (a good thing I believe) even pro-wrestling. At times it was the 2nd biggest in the world, behind only soccer. From what links I can find, it's been surpassed by the likes of Field Hockey, Cricket, Table Tennis, even.

https://www.pledgesports.org/2017/03/top-10-most-watched-sports/
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,054
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

24 Aug 2017 14:49

I don't gamble, but if I did, now would be a great time to make some quick, easy cash. A month ago Mayweather was -3000 in this fight. Meaning, if you put $3,000 down, and he wins, you'd only get $100 back.

But so much money has been sunk into McGregor, oddsmakers are getting cold feet, and with just three days to go until the fight, Mayweather's odds are down to -550 to win. Now if somebody wanted to win $100, they would have to bet just $550. If they wanted to win $2,000, they would have to risk just $11,000.

Anyone want a new bicycle? Because I don't possibly see any way McGregor wins this fight, period. Bet your house on it. Bet your 401k on it. Even if by some freak punch, McGregor is able to connect with Floyd and hurt him, floor him, Floyd's chin is decent, and his skills are such (and McGregor's aren't) that Floyd would very, very likely weather that storm fairly quickly, and never make whatever mistake he made to get hit, again. There's no other possible way McGregor wins the fight. He has to land one, massive, lucky punch, and early. And hope Floyd doesn't recover. This odds on that should easily be -3000, if not more.

http://www.businessinsider.com/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-bets-2017-8
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,054
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

24 Aug 2017 15:32

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I don't gamble, but if I did, now would be a great time to make some quick, easy cash. A month ago Mayweather was -3000 in this fight. Meaning, if you put $3,000 down, and he wins, you'd only get $100 back.

But so much money has been sunk into McGregor, oddsmakers are getting cold feet, and with just three days to go until the fight, Mayweather's odds are down to -550 to win. Now if somebody wanted to win $100, they would have to bet just $550. If they wanted to win $2,000, they would have to risk just $11,000.

Anyone want a new bicycle? Because I don't possibly see any way McGregor wins this fight, period. Bet your house on it. Bet your 401k on it. Even if by some freak punch, McGregor is able to connect with Floyd and hurt him, floor him, Floyd's chin is decent, and his skills are such (and McGregor's aren't) that Floyd would very, very likely weather that storm fairly quickly, and never make whatever mistake he made to get hit, again. There's no other possible way McGregor wins the fight. He has to land one, massive, lucky punch, and early. And hope Floyd doesn't recover. This odds on that should easily be -3000, if not more.

http://www.businessinsider.com/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-bets-2017-8


Yeah well only the rich would normally take that bet. For the average person it's still quite a layout to win not much. That said only a lightning strike or something similar loses the fight for Mayweather.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,814
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

Re: Re:

24 Aug 2017 16:39

movingtarget wrote:
Alpe d'Huez wrote:I don't gamble, but if I did, now would be a great time to make some quick, easy cash. A month ago Mayweather was -3000 in this fight. Meaning, if you put $3,000 down, and he wins, you'd only get $100 back.

But so much money has been sunk into McGregor, oddsmakers are getting cold feet, and with just three days to go until the fight, Mayweather's odds are down to -550 to win. Now if somebody wanted to win $100, they would have to bet just $550. If they wanted to win $2,000, they would have to risk just $11,000.

Anyone want a new bicycle? Because I don't possibly see any way McGregor wins this fight, period. Bet your house on it. Bet your 401k on it. Even if by some freak punch, McGregor is able to connect with Floyd and hurt him, floor him, Floyd's chin is decent, and his skills are such (and McGregor's aren't) that Floyd would very, very likely weather that storm fairly quickly, and never make whatever mistake he made to get hit, again. There's no other possible way McGregor wins the fight. He has to land one, massive, lucky punch, and early. And hope Floyd doesn't recover. This odds on that should easily be -3000, if not more.

http://www.businessinsider.com/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-bets-2017-8


Yeah well only the rich would normally take that bet. For the average person it's still quite a layout to win not much. That said only a lightning strike or something similar loses the fight for Mayweather.


Only the rich and crazy would bet that amount. The smart would bet in proportion to what they can afford.
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,522
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Procrastination nation

24 Aug 2017 17:24

Which is why I don't gamble. Still, McGregor has done a very good job convincing people he has a real chance.

A friend of mine who boxed some when young, and is a big fan of the sport says the only way Floyd will lose is if he gets a freak injury, but he also doesn't see Floyd knocking Connor out. He sees a completely lopsided decision, with Connor cut up and exhausted at the end, but Floyd unable to put him away.
User avatar Alpe d'Huez
Veteran
 
Posts: 10,054
Joined: 11 Mar 2009 03:51
Location: New England

Re:

24 Aug 2017 18:17

Alpe d'Huez wrote:I don't gamble, but if I did, now would be a great time to make some quick, easy cash. A month ago Mayweather was -3000 in this fight. Meaning, if you put $3,000 down, and he wins, you'd only get $100 back.

But so much money has been sunk into McGregor, oddsmakers are getting cold feet, and with just three days to go until the fight, Mayweather's odds are down to -550 to win. Now if somebody wanted to win $100, they would have to bet just $550. If they wanted to win $2,000, they would have to risk just $11,000.

Anyone want a new bicycle? Because I don't possibly see any way McGregor wins this fight, period. Bet your house on it. Bet your 401k on it. Even if by some freak punch, McGregor is able to connect with Floyd and hurt him, floor him, Floyd's chin is decent, and his skills are such (and McGregor's aren't) that Floyd would very, very likely weather that storm fairly quickly, and never make whatever mistake he made to get hit, again. There's no other possible way McGregor wins the fight. He has to land one, massive, lucky punch, and early. And hope Floyd doesn't recover. This odds on that should easily be -3000, if not more.

http://www.businessinsider.com/conor-mcgregor-floyd-mayweather-bets-2017-8


My bookie, Paddy Power, has already paid out on Mayweather. True.
User avatar ferryman
Senior Member
 
Posts: 3,039
Joined: 30 Dec 2009 23:43
Location: LostinFife

24 Aug 2017 18:43

A guy I lift with at the Y who was a GG boxer in the 70s, and a rabid fan, said the best thing about this fight is that it brought boxing together for the first time in a long time. "There's no confusion of which belt this is, it us against them."
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,216
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

Re:

24 Aug 2017 23:47

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Which is why I don't gamble. Still, McGregor has done a very good job convincing people he has a real chance.

A friend of mine who boxed some when young, and is a big fan of the sport says the only way Floyd will lose is if he gets a freak injury, but he also doesn't see Floyd knocking Connor out. He sees a completely lopsided decision, with Connor cut up and exhausted at the end, but Floyd unable to put him away.


i see Mayweather winning by a stoppage but a KO would not surprise me. One combination could be enough.
movingtarget
Veteran
 
Posts: 7,814
Joined: 05 Aug 2009 08:54

25 Aug 2017 09:00

I think it's fair to say that it would be the biggest sporting upset of all time if McGregor wins, at least in the running with the likes of Leicester winning the Premiership. As much as I would love it to happen (not because I like McGregor, I just really dislike Mayweather) I just don't see how it could possibly happen if Mayweather has been even slightly serious in his preparation.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,326
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38


25 Aug 2017 10:14

I would love if they did an MMA match after. Just to see Mayweather go down
Kwibus wrote:So much quesions they have. Answers they will never get.
So why questions? If no answers?
-Kwibus, one of the great philosophers of the 21st century
User avatar Red Rick
Moderator
 
Posts: 11,522
Joined: 20 Feb 2012 18:15
Location: Procrastination nation

Re:

25 Aug 2017 14:24

Alpe d'Huez wrote:Which is why I don't gamble. Still, McGregor has done a very good job convincing people he has a real chance.

A friend of mine who boxed some when young, and is a big fan of the sport says the only way Floyd will lose is if he gets a freak injury, but he also doesn't see Floyd knocking Connor out. He sees a completely lopsided decision, with Connor cut up and exhausted at the end, but Floyd unable to put him away.

Which to the McGregor camp and MMA community is a victory in itself, worthy of a billion dollar rematch - but in the Octagon next time.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,983
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re:

25 Aug 2017 14:26

King Boonen wrote:I think it's fair to say that it would be the biggest sporting upset of all time if McGregor wins, at least in the running with the likes of Leicester winning the Premiership. As much as I would love it to happen (not because I like McGregor, I just really dislike Mayweather) I just don't see how it could possibly happen if Mayweather has been even slightly serious in his preparation.

Or more like Buster Douglass beating Iron Mike Tyson in Tokyo....
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,983
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

25 Aug 2017 15:27

Irondan wrote:
King Boonen wrote:I think it's fair to say that it would be the biggest sporting upset of all time if McGregor wins, at least in the running with the likes of Leicester winning the Premiership. As much as I would love it to happen (not because I like McGregor, I just really dislike Mayweather) I just don't see how it could possibly happen if Mayweather has been even slightly serious in his preparation.

Or more like Buster Douglass beating Iron Mike Tyson in Tokyo....

Nah, that was massive, but Douglas was a World Champion boxer.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,326
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

25 Aug 2017 17:41

King Boonen wrote:
Irondan wrote:
King Boonen wrote:I think it's fair to say that it would be the biggest sporting upset of all time if McGregor wins, at least in the running with the likes of Leicester winning the Premiership. As much as I would love it to happen (not because I like McGregor, I just really dislike Mayweather) I just don't see how it could possibly happen if Mayweather has been even slightly serious in his preparation.

Or more like Buster Douglass beating Iron Mike Tyson in Tokyo....

Nah, that was massive, but Douglas was a World Champion boxer.

How was Douglass a World Champion boxer? He was a massive underdog before the fight, as much as Coner Mcgregor is now. Nobody thought he had a chance in hell, but he shocked the world with the biggest upset ever at the time.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,983
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Re:

25 Aug 2017 17:44

Irondan wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Irondan wrote:
King Boonen wrote:I think it's fair to say that it would be the biggest sporting upset of all time if McGregor wins, at least in the running with the likes of Leicester winning the Premiership. As much as I would love it to happen (not because I like McGregor, I just really dislike Mayweather) I just don't see how it could possibly happen if Mayweather has been even slightly serious in his preparation.

Or more like Buster Douglass beating Iron Mike Tyson in Tokyo....

Nah, that was massive, but Douglas was a World Champion boxer.

How was Douglass a World Champion boxer? He was a massive underdog before the fight, as much as Coner Mcgregor is now. Nobody thought he had a chance in hell, but he shocked the world with the biggest upset ever at the time.

I thought he won the title from McCall? Or am I getting my timelines mixed up?

He was still an actual boxer with wins over other actual boxers though.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,326
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re: Re:

25 Aug 2017 17:49

King Boonen wrote:
Irondan wrote:
King Boonen wrote:
Irondan wrote:
King Boonen wrote:I think it's fair to say that it would be the biggest sporting upset of all time if McGregor wins, at least in the running with the likes of Leicester winning the Premiership. As much as I would love it to happen (not because I like McGregor, I just really dislike Mayweather) I just don't see how it could possibly happen if Mayweather has been even slightly serious in his preparation.

Or more like Buster Douglass beating Iron Mike Tyson in Tokyo....

Nah, that was massive, but Douglas was a World Champion boxer.

How was Douglass a World Champion boxer? He was a massive underdog before the fight, as much as Coner Mcgregor is now. Nobody thought he had a chance in hell, but he shocked the world with the biggest upset ever at the time.

I thought he won the title from McCall? Or am I getting my timelines mixed up?

He was still an actual boxer with wins over other actual boxers though.

Tyson was the undisputed, undefeated, unified champion of the world. Nobody (outside boxing) had ever heard of Buster Douglass before the fight, he was supposed to be a meatball for Tyson to eat up but things went wrong right from the start.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,983
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

25 Aug 2017 17:54

Just checked his record. Wasn't for the title but he beat Berbick and McCall in his two fights before Tyson.

He might have been a very average boxer, but he was much more qualified to be in the boxing ring than McGregor is.
Vincenzo Nibali:
"I know how to ride a bike"

Reduce your carbon footprint, ride steel.
User avatar King Boonen
Moderator
 
Posts: 6,326
Joined: 25 Jul 2012 14:38

Re:

25 Aug 2017 18:27

King Boonen wrote:Just checked his record. Wasn't for the title but he beat Berbick and McCall in his two fights before Tyson.

He might have been a very average boxer, but he was much more qualified to be in the boxing ring than McGregor is.

No doubt, McGregor's qualifications to box Mayweather have nothing to do with boxing and everything to do with his ability for self promotion. It's all about the dollar and it could end up being literally a fatal mistake.
Darryl Webster wrote:
"Nothing seems to blind peeps as much as patriotism does it!"
User avatar Irondan
Administrator
 
Posts: 6,983
Joined: 30 Apr 2014 02:13
Location: Seattle, WA

Re:

25 Aug 2017 18:34


You can say whatever about CMc's lack of boxing experience, but his experience in protecting himself might be better than a boxer.

Really the question is: is anyone safe between the ropes or in the cage? Combat sports are inherently dangerous.
jmdirt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2,216
Joined: 06 Dec 2013 17:33

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Back to top